Superboy and Robin first teamed up in an investigation that pitted them against Poison Ivy and Metallo. They were not Young Justice at this point but the two did get a better understanding from each other that led them to feel that they could get a lot from each other by talking about the problems they have being a hero with someone who would have an idea what it was like.
Later Robin, Superboy and Impulse interceded on behalf of a D.E.O. "cleaner" team transporting a gaseous entity known as Secret to the Wabe Facility for disposal. Working together, the teens were able to rescue "Secret" from her D.E.O. captors. This did not sit well with their adult counterparts and they were investigated for their involvement in the case by the adult heroes.
The team was asked to capture the "Bottle Girl" they were told it was a dangerous monster and could kill anyone it came into contact with. Worried that the D.E.O. would not be able to catch her they asked the three superheros to help. The team did capture the creature but not without some growing pain. Because they weren't an official team at this point they all had problems working as a team. They wanted to do it their way and it was not until they worked as a team did they capture the creature. When they did capture her they found that it was not really a monster but a girl at about their age.
She told them her story and asked is they could help her. They agreed to help and gave the D.E.O. a fake canister that was suppose to have the creature. This is what cased the investigation by their adult counterparts. The team was afraid that the girl would go back to the D.E.O. so they all agreed to lie and told them all the same story.
The team later went camping at the old Justice League of America's cave headquarters. They were goofing around and Impulse wrote graffiti all over they place with blue paint. He even wrote Hanson bite across the chest of what he thought was a statue of Red Tornado. Then Red Tornado became so annoyed that he reactivated surprising the teen heroes. Red Tornado would later become the guardian of the team. At this time however everything was interrupted when everyone heard a loud noise.
When they went to investigate they found that a strange thing had happened at an archeology site. By the time they got there police and reporters were already there. Also there were Agents Fite and Maad. Fite and Maad were agents of A.P.E.S. (All-Purpose Enforcement Squad). The two would later become long term adversaries for the the team. At the archeology dig one of the reporters by the name of Ace Atchinson asked the team is they were the Teen Titans. Superboy said no. Then Ace said oh you are the young Justice League of America. Then Impulse said "no,..we're young but Just us" Oh said Ace, Young Justice and the name stuck. This is when they officially become Young Justice.
The group finds one of the archeologists has become the villain Mighty Endowed. She would also have a career against the team but because of her new features she was unable to get her balance and fell forward. Also freed from the dig is Super-Cycle. Super-Cycle is a sentient motor bike who will also become a member of the Young Justice.
The Young Justice was created by writer Todd Dezago and artist Todd Nauck and first appeared in Young Justice: Secret #1. Most of their ongoing series was written by Peter David. Young Justice was created when the Teen Titans had become the Titans, so there was no current teen team.
Now a official team the group has a few adventures and Red Tornado also finds his adopted daughter, Traya Sutton. The female parts of the group join shortly after the team is formed. Arrowette is rescued by the Super-Cycle while the guys were in Spain trying to stop a thief named Tora. They find her at their head quarters after they leave Spain and Secret and Wonder-Girl go there later. Secret was looking for help to rescue the other kids who were being imprisoned by the D.E.O. like she was. She didn't know it at this time but her brother Harm is the one who wounded Arrowette, Wonder Girl and Superboy. Harm also killed Secret many years earlier inadvertently giving her her powers.
The teens later found themselves at the epicenter of the conflict involving an ancient Atlantean force which possessed Boston teenager Matthew Stuart and somehow granted him godlike powers. Stuart, calling himself Bedlam, was in fact responsible for transporting our world's entire adult population to a simulated Earth devoid of children. Stuart, while under the mystical influence, allowed the remaining adolescents to have destructive free rein until Robin, Superboy, and Impulse (as well as the adult Captain Marvel) defeated him.
Following this adventure, the threesome decided to remain together as a team. Adopting the JLA's " Secret Sanctuary" in Happy Harbor, Rhode Island as their de facto headquarters, the team soon found themselves on their first adventure unearthing an ancient vehicle appearing to be a so-called "Super-Cycle" of New Genesis origin. Meanwhile, former Justice League member Red Tornado awoke from stasis and became the mentor to the fledgling team, who had accidentally acquired the name "Young Justice".
Soon after, some girlpower was added when Wonder Girl, Arrowette and Secret joined the team. Arrowette left the team after a traumatic adventure while other members would join the teenage team, including the mysterious Empress, the incorrigible Slobo and the Ray.
When Secret was turned to the dark side by the demonic Darkseid, Young Justice was faced with perhaps their greatest challenge. Robin was able to bring Secret to her senses, but the victory was both bitter and sweet; Secret reverted to human form (her fondest wish) but Slobo sacrificed himself to save her from Darkseid.
Shortly afterward, a conglomerate known as Optitron offered to sponsor the Titans and Young Justice after summoning them to San Francisco. Before any decisions could be made, a mysterious cybernetic girl known as Indigo emerged from the future. Unwittingly, she somehow activated a rogue Superman android, resulting in the apparent deaths of Troia and Omen. At Troia's funeral, Nightwing disbanded the Titans.
At Troia's funeral, Nightwing declared to Arsenal that he is tired of seeing friends die and the Titans are officially over. Meanwhile, members of Young Justice, especially Wonder Girl, felt responsible for the tragic deaths. This led to Wonder Girl, Robin, Impulse and Superboy forming a new group of Teen Titans under the guidance of the more experienced and former Titans, Cyborg, Starfire and Beast Boy (later joined by Raven).
In Other Media
Teen Titans Go!
In Issue #10 of the Teen Titans animated spin-off comic, Robin is seen looking at a magazine cover featuring Slobo and Secret. Also on the cover were Aqualad, Speedy, and Wildebeest (well known as members of the Teen Titans).
Prior to the formation of The Team, Robin was the first junior protégé to begin his crime fighting career, starting in 2006, at the age of nine. A year later, Green Arrow introduced Speedy as his partner.
Inspired by his Justice League colleagues, Aquaman offered both Garth and Kaldur'ahm a position to become his protégé after they saved him from Ocean-Master. Kaldur became Aqualad.Flash was not fond of the idea of the responsibility of a sidekick, but his nephew Wally differed. He recreated the accident that gave his uncle his super speed power. Partly out of guilt, Flash let him become his protégé, naming him Kid Flash.
Before the Cadmus incident, the four sidekicks knew each other; and Robin entrusted Kid Flash with his secret identity. However, the four of them had never been together all at the same time. Last to take a protégé was Martian Manhunter. Miss Martian claimed she had won the right to become her uncle's sidekick after winning a competition on Mars, though this may not entirely be accurate, as Martain Manhunter has claimed he found M'gann stowed aboard his ship, and claimed to be his niece.
The Justice League arrived at the scene of the destroyed Cadmus facility, and Batman was not happy. He did not, however, expect the young heroes to rebel against the League. They insisted they did good work, and wanted to work together more. Batman asked for three days to plan things.
Batman gathered the four in the old Justice League hideout inside Mount Justice. They would become a team, on Justice League's terms, handling covert ops missions. They were introduced to the fifth member of the Team, Miss Martian.
Kid Flash was eager to let Speedy join, but he declined, claiming their "junior Justice League was a joke". He was not interested in fighting on the Justice League's terms, and claimed he was tired of them telling him what to do.
After several missions, Batman and Green Arrow noticed Artemis had been following the Team in the fight against Amazo, and offered her membership.
Artemis was introduced to the Team the next day, and got off to a rocky start with Kid Flash, who still wanted Speedy on the Team.
Zatanna moved into the Cave with the Team, after her father was taken as a permanent host by Nabu.
Original Team Members
- Aqualad (Kaldur'ahm): Was the leader of the original version of the Team. He is an Atlantean and was the protégé and subject of his king and mentor, Aquaman.
- Robin (Dick Grayson): the most experienced crime fighter, yet youngest of the Team, Robin is Batman's protégé and an expert in all things technology. Although he is not ready yet, Aqualad feels that Robin will eventually lead the Team.
- Kid Flash (Wally West): speedster of the Team, Kid Flash is a genius when it comes to science. He is a protégé of Flash. Though his own logical and scientific explanations for everything can cloud his perception of the world, Kid Flash has no trouble joking around or trying to impress Miss Martian.
- Superboy (Conner Kent): genetic hybrid clone of Superman and Lex Luthor, Superboy struggles to come to terms with his hidden aspirations to gain the respect and love of the Man of Steel himself, who he sees as his father. While his short temper can lead to his aggressive nature, there is a softer side to Superboy which is seen when he spends time alone with Miss Martian.
- Miss Martian (M'gann M'orzz): niece of Martian Manhunter and telepathic, Miss Martian wants to be as human as possible. Adopting her personality and appearance from a character from a sitcom she watched on Mars, Miss Martian is kind and compassionate to all of her friends.
Added to Original Team
- Artemis (Artemis Crock): apparent niece of Green Arrow and master marksman, Artemis comes from a darker background, riddled with crime. Joining the Team, she has found exactly the stability she needs to lead a life as normal as possible.
- Zatanna: was introduced to the Team by her father, Zatara, during his time as "den-mother". After Zatara became the host of Doctor Fate, she became a member of the Team.
- Rocket: the protégé of Icon, she was inducted into the Team after Icon was made a member of the Justice League.
- Sphere: a machine from New Genesis picked up from one of the Team's missions to Bialya, Sphere is a loyal companion to Superboy. She can transform into assorted machinery, including a motorcycle-like vehicle which Wally has named "the Super Cycle".
- Wolf: adopted by Superboy and the Team whilst on a mission to India, Wolf was enhanced with Kobra-Venom by the Brain that made him smarter and stronger to the point that he could go toe-to-toe with Superboy.
- Red Arrow (Roy Harper): was offered a position in The Team in its early days, but declined on the grounds of not wanting the League telling him what to do anymore.They eventually earn his trust. Green Arrow convinced him to join the Team to set a good example after a meeting amongst the Justice League resulted in his acceptance to join their ranks. He left the Team to become a member of the Justice League, where he unwittingly betrayed them to the Light.
Current Team (Young Justice: Invasion)
In between 2011 and 2016, drastic changes occurred. Several members graduated to the Justice League, and at least 13 members have joined.
- Nightwing (Dick Grayson): The original Robin and current leader of the Team. He is in charge of assigning missions to the team. He has been offered membership of the Justice League, but has turned it down. Still has an open invitation to join the League.
- Superboy (Conner Kent): One of the original members. He has been offered membership of the Justice League, but has turned it down. Still has an open invitation to join the League.
- Miss Martian (M'gann M'orzz): One of the original members. She has been offered membership of the Justice League, but has turned it down. Still has an open invitation to join the League.
- Robin (Tim Drake): joined the Team after 2011.
- Batgirl (Barbra Gordon): joined the Team after 2011.
- Beast Boy (Garfield 'Gar' Logan): joined the Team after 2011. After Queen Bee caused his mother's death, he was adopted by the team, and now lived in the cave along with his blood sister, Miss Martian.
- Blue Beetle (Jaime Reyes): joined the Team after 2011. Shortly left The Team after he was under control of The Reach. He is now in control of his scarab and back on the team.
- Bumblebee (Karen Beecher): joined the Team after 2011.
- Wonder Girl (Cassandra Sandsmark): joined the Team after 2011.
- Lagoon Boy (La'gaan): joined the Team after 2011.
- Guardian (Mal Duncan): joined the Team after 2011. Took the mantle of Guardian.
Other members (Pets)
- Aquagirl (Tula): joined after 2011. Died on a mission.
- Aqualad (Kaldur'ahm): one of the founding members and the former leader. He left The Team after the death of Aquagirl to join his father, Black Manta as a undercover mission to infiltrate The Light.
- Artemis (Artemis Crock) : At some point she left the Team to attend college. Faked her death as apart of Nightwing's plan to infiltrate the Light, she was given a charm that changes her appearance She now resides under the identity as Tigress.
- Kid Flash (Wally West) one of the founding members, he quit the hero life and left the team to focus on college.
- Rocket (Raquel): part of the original team. She has since joined the Justice League.
- Zatanna (Zatanna Zatara): One of the original members. She has since joined the Justice League.
- Red Arrow (Clone of Roy Harper): He has been looking for the real Roy Harper for the last 5 years. He resents the team and the Justice League because they have given up their search for the real Speedy.
- The Justice League: is made up of The Team's mentors, and provides assistance should The Team need it, as well as supplying anything The Team needs.
- Doctor Fate: Doctor Fate has been called upon by 3 members of the team on 3 separate occasions. On each occasion, it was to receive help against a magic-user that was too powerful for the team to combat without Doctor Fate's assistance. He was summoned by a member of the team putting on the Helmet of Fate and becoming Doctor Fate.
- Lucas Carr: A former junior associate of the Justice League, and former high school teacher of Miss Martian, Superboy, Bumblebee and Mal Duncan. Snapper works as a private tutor for Beast Boy at The Cave.
- Batman: Batman is the supervisor of the Team and is responsible for deploying them on missions.
- Red Tornado: Red Tornado volunteered to stay at Mount Justice to watch over the Team as sort of "den-mother", or rather den robot. He has maintained that he will not interfere in the middle of a Team mission for support. After an attack on the Cave by his "siblings", Red Torpedo and Red Inferno, Red Tornado temporarily left the Team to pursue his creator, but returned after they found him, claiming he has grown fond of the Team.
- Black Canary: Black Canary works as the Team's hand-to-hand combat instructor and trainer. She also acted as a third replacement "den-mother" for a week.On one occasion she even took the role of counselor, after a disastrous psychic training exercise took place in which all six teenaged members of the Team were killed in action.
- Captain Marvel: First replacement "den-mother".
- Zatara: Second replacement "den-mother".
- Captain Atom: Captain Atom acted as the Team's instructor on espionage, stealth and covert ops.