After a long absence, Lyssa has reappeared in the pages of the DC
relaunch of Green Lantern
in the new 52
. She is being pursued by Sinestro
Little is known about the enigmatic Lyssa Drak except that she is from Talok VII, located in the Talokian star system in Sector 3500. How she came to be a member of the Sinestro Corps
is unknown, though it can be assumed it has been inscribed within the pages of the Book of Parallax
. For reasons unknown, this tome, which holds the stories of the greatest Sinestro Corpsmen, was chained to Lyssa Drak with yellow energy from Sinestro
himself. This was possibly for the need to have a historian for his Corps and a way for Sinestro to revisit his Corps' success. Lyssa Drak is quite loyal to Sinestro and highly devoted to updating the Book and keeping it safe.
Drak is also involved in the training of prospective Sinestro soldiers. Once a corpsmen has finished the physical training and was judged by Arkillo
, the Sinestro Drill Sargeant, the new recruit would have their yellow power ring
drained of energy and they would enter a Fear Lodge. Within the dark confines of the Fear Lodge, the recruit would have to face their fears and embrace them in order to recharge their ring. If a recruit succeeded, then their ring would open the Fear Lodge. If the recruit failed, then they would be left to die within either from thirst, starvation, suffocation, or suicide. Whatever the recruit's fate, Lyssa Drak was there to record their success or failure in the Book of Parallax.
Lyssa Drak presided over Amon Sur
's initiation and helped prepare him for his time in the Fear Lodge. Amon had approached Lyssa for help to purge his fear. Instead, Lyssa read from the Book of Parallax stories of other Sinestro Corps members including Bedovian
, and Kiriazis
. Afterwards, Amon entered the Fear Lodge, learned his greatest fear is the Green Lantern Hal Jordan
, and succesfully ignited the charge in his ring.
Aside from recording the history of the Sinestro Corps, Lyssa Drak also seems to have some insight as to what will take place for her corps, as well. Whether this is actual knowledge of the future or simply plans intended by Sinestro remain to be seen.
When the Sinestro Corps waged war on the Green Lantern Corps, Green Lanterns John Stewart
and Guy Gardner
were captured and Lyssa was charged with overseeing their captivity. Hal Jordan, along with fellow Lanterns Graf Toren
and Tomar Tu
, came to the rescue. Lyssa Drak was grateful for the chance to defeat the three Lanterns, for she wanted to add her own success to the pages of the Book of Parallax. Unfortunately, Drak was defeated herself and she and the Book were placed under Green Lantern custody.
As she was being transported to Oa
to be placed in a Sciencell
, Lyssa told the story of fellow Sinestro soldier Kryb
, an evil creature known for attacking coupled Green Lanterns and abducting their newborn children.
Several members of the Green Lantern Corps
have tried to interrogate her following her capture, but she inevitably tells them a story about her fellow Sinestro Corps members rather than share her secrets. She was awaiting trial on Oa when Scar
, the Black Guardian, released Red Lantern Corps
in the Sciencells to provoke a massive riot. In the melee, Drak stole away to search for the valuable Book of Parallax, only to find the dreaded Book of the Black.
Shortly after this, Scar surprised her from behind and has somehow trapped her within the pages of the Black Book.
She was released from her prison by Krona, who wanted her to be the Keeper of a new Book that he intended to be created.
Powers and AbilitiesQwardian (Yellow) Power Ring which give him the following abilities:
- Animating: A Sinestro Lantern can will things to move how he wants. The object moved however is often covered in a yellow aura.
- Artificial Intelligence : Every ring has a connection to the Main Battery on Qward, which taps into Parallax. It acts as an "on-board computer," telling the wearer what they need to know. It can either respond out loud, or silently directly to the wearer's mind. The AI contains a large database of information that may be crucial to a "Sinestro's" success. The ring also translates nearly every language to and from the wearer, which is why the Corps can communicate with each other. When the bearer of a Sinestro Corps ring dies, the ring will seek out a suitable replacement for their sector, someone capable of instilling great fear.
- Communicator: The ring can act as a personal communicator between Sinestro Lanterns. They have also been seen connected to telephones. Weather
- Costumes: The wearer of the ring may create any costume they choose, based on their personal preferences, whenever they choose. The ring projects the costume over any clothes already worn at the time.
- Energy Projection: The rings can also project beams, form protective bubbles and force fields, and fire destructive blasts. Sometimes, depending on the wearer, the beams and blasts make sounds.
- Energy Constructs: The rings can construct anything the wearer can imagine from hard-light energy, as long as they are willing to make it. The more determined the wearer is, the more complex and intricate these things can be. The constructs can even be so complex as to form working machines, computers, and even people.
- Flight: The ring allows the wearer to fly in atmosphere or in space, and can achieve incredible speeds, moving from planet to planet in a matter of hours.
- Invisibility: The Sinestro Corps ring has the ability to make
- Mind Control: The wearer of the Ring can use it to plant post hypnotic commands or control a person.
- Mirages: The Ring can create mirages/illusions.
- Phasing: The ring allows the user to go through walls.
- Power Absorbing: In the JLA's first fight with Amazo, it was GL who defeated him by drawing out all of Amazo's powers. In Green Lantern/Silver Surfer: Unholy Alliances, Kyle defeated Parallax with SS' power and Thanos with Oa's energy by drawing out all that extra energy from them which made them unconscious. However he couldn't hold all that power nor could his Ring like Hal did with Amazo's powers, so that move isn't often used with so much power.
- Probing: The ring can probe the Lantern's or another person's mind, allowing him to uncover memories or the person's thoughts.
- Radiation: Besides light based radiation used to create the energy constructs associated with a Sinestro Corps member or a Green Lantern, the ring can simulate various forms of radiation. One example of this is the ability to simulate the radiation of Red solar radiation, which stunts or removes the powers of Kryptonians and Daxamites.
- Recharging: The rings need to be recharged by means of a Power Battery. Other large sources of power may be used to recharge a power ring, however effectiveness may vary. The internal power source of a Manhunter Android is, in effect, the same as a power battery, and can be used to recharge a power ring. During the JLA / Avengers crossover, a Cosmic Cube was used to recharge a depleted ring, although this is not an ideal solution and is available if there are no other options. Members of the Sinestro Corps they generally quote the Sinestro Corps oath while recharging their rings: "In blackest day, in brightest night, Beware your fears made into light! Let those who try to stop what's right, Burn like his power... Sinestro's might!” Unlike the Green Lantern Corps however each Sinestro Corps member seems to use a standard unaltered oath.
- Temperature Control: The Ring can increase or decrease the temperature of anything, even something as large as stars, or even create bubbles of intense heat or cold, even down to Absolute Zero..
- X-Ray: The Sinestro power ring has the ability to see through all objects without others around him/her being aware that the object has been made transparent. Not all material can be penetrated though
Status: Active; Keeper of the Book of Parallax
Space Sector: 3500
Sector Partner: ?
Homeworld: Talok VIIPredecessor: Inapplicable