Space Sector: 2
Sector Partner: Unknown
Homeworld: Ovacron Six
Honnu is a Green Lantern
from the planet Ovacron Six. Warriors there believe that using a weapon is something to be looked down on. For this reason, Hannu would rather use his own strength than rely on his ring in battle.
When Hal Jordan
, Hannu was one of the "Lost Lanterns
" that was left for dead in space. Years later, Jordan and Guy Gardner
traveled to the Manhunters
' planet Biot
to rescue the Lost Lanterns believed to be dead. There they found the Lanterns strung up to be drained as living power batteries for the Manhunters latest model of giant and massively powerful robots. The Manhunters were now working under the rule of their Grandmaster, Hank Henshaw
, the Cyborg Superman. During Hal and Guy's battle with their robotic enemies, Hal freed Ke'Haan
, who in turn freed his fellow prisoners. Hannu awoke and immediately tore into the Manhunters, preferring to rely on his brute strength to tear the androids apart. Hannu and his fellow Lanterns escaped Biot moments before the mechanical planet was destroyed.
Like most of the Lost Lanterns, Hannu maintained a grudge against Hal for his acts while under the influence of Parallax. During the Sinestro Corps War
, the Lost Lanterns were sent to Qward
to rescue Kyle Rayner
from the Sinestro Corps
. The Lanterns soon got lost while searching the planets expansive underground labyrinths. Turning blindly into a new chamber, they suddenly discovered that the Sinestro Corps was resurrecting their own "Guardian" the Anti-Monitor
, and outfitting him in Sinestro Corps-emblazoned armor to amplify his anti-matter energy. The Anti-Monitor turned his massive power on the Lanterns' leader Ke'Haan and vaporized him down to the bone. They Lanterns were stunned and it was only the quick thinking of Hannu that saved them all from a similar fate. With grim determination Hannu told them all to "cover [their] eyes, it's gonna get bright in here", and unleashed a massive blast that staggered the Anti-Monitor and brought down the entire chamber, burying the villain momentarily, and allowing the Lanterns to escape with the aid of Hal .
The war moved to Earth where Guy Gardner was intercepted by a squadron of Sinestro soldiers . Alone against dozens of enemies, Guy arrogantly challenged them all, including their leader, Horku
. Horku was a Sinestro soldier of the same race as Hannu. Horku was unaware of the Guardians' new law which authorized lethal force, and dismissed Guy's tough talk as an "empty threat". Horku soon learned of this new law when Hannu arrived at the head of the entire Corps and surprised his villainous counterpart from behind. Stating "empty threats? That was yesterday", Hannu punched directly through Horku's back, his ring hand exploding through Horku's chest, killing the Sinestro soldier instantly.
Led by Sinestro
himself, half of the Sinestro Corps descended on Coast City
to level Hal 's hometown and turn it into a mass graveyard that would endure as a monument to the power of fear. Only Hal and Kyle stood alone to defend the city against legions of enemies. Both Lanterns readied themselves for battle when they were contacted by Hannu who learned of the incoming attack. Despite their differences, Hannu recognized that stood Hal with them on Qward. The stoic Lantern lead an army of Lanterns to "return the favor" tipping the balance and saving Coast City from destruction.
Following the war, Hannu demonstrated a more thoughtful side not seen in the massive warrior. It was Hannu who recognized the pain his fellow Lost Lantern Laira
endured over the loss of Ke'Haan. When Laira murdered the Sinestro soldier Amon Sur
, Hannu reluctantly acknowledged that her actions were murder born of revenge, and not a just killing in the line of duty. He has also forgiven Jordan for his crimes while possessed by Parallax, and apologized when the Lost Lanterns failed to secure Amon Sur's yellow power ring. When Laira was expelled from the Corps for her crimes, Hannu piloted her back to her home world. Their ship was intercepted by a red ring of power, which sensed Laira's burning rage against the Sinestro Corps and inducted her into the Red Lantern Corps
. Hannu was blasted from the ship and gravely injured, but was rescued by his fellow Lost Lanterns Graf Toren
. He sadly reported the news of Laira's conversion to his fellow colleagues. Presumably he has recovered from his injuries and resumed his duties as a Green Lantern.
Powers and AbilitiesHannu is the wielder of a Green Lantern Power Ring which enables him to accomplish a variety of effects. The Green Lantern Ring allows Hannu to manipulate its energies through the use of willpower. The Green Lantern Ring gives Hannu the following abilities:
- Animating: A Green Lantern can will things to move how he wants.
- Artificial Intelligence: Every ring has a connection to the Main Battery on Oa, which taps into an artificial intelligence. It acts as an "on-board computer," telling the wearer what they need to know. It can either respond out loud, or silently directly to the wearer's mind. The AI contains a large database of information that may be crucial to a Lantern's success. The ring also translates nearly every language to and from the wearer (though they have difficulty translating profanity), which is why the Corps can communicate with each other. When the bearer of a Green Lantern ring dies, the ring will seek out a suitable replacement for their sector. The AI can be used to play a holographic playback sequence complete with colors across the spectrum based on information in memory banks. The ring can dictate when to pause or stop the playback should an interruption arise where the Lanterns undivided attention is needed. The AI can also alert the wielder of incoming threats or of attempts to manipulate the wielders construct by an outside party.
- Burglar Alarm: A Green Lantern can coat anything with the ring's beam and thus, if anyone other than himself touches it, his ring will glow, alerting him to the possible theft.
- Communicator: The ring can act as a personal communicator between Green Lanterns. They have also been seen connected to telephones.
- Costumes: The wearer of the ring may create any costume they choose, based on their personal preferences, whenever they choose. The ring projects the costume over any clothes already worn at the time.
- Energy Projection: The rings can also project beams, form protective bubbles and force fields, and fire destructive blasts. Sometimes, depending on the wearer, the beams and blasts make sounds. Kilowog's ring is one such example of blasts making sounds.
- Energy Constructs: The rings can construct anything the wearer can imagine from hard-light energy, as long as they are willing to make it. The more determined the wearer is, the more complex and intricate these things can be. The constructs can even be so complex as to form working machines, computers, and even people.
- Flight: The ring allows the wearer to fly in atmosphere or in space, and can achieve incredible speeds, moving from planet to planet in a matter of hours.
- Invisibility: The ring can make the wearer or anything else invisible.
- Matter Manipulation: A Green Lantern can use their ring to manipulate nearby matter, such as water, for various purposes such as a construct that acts like an energy construct but can block something yellow and may serve a purpose that an energy construct couldn't perform.
- Mind Control: The wearer of the Ring can use it to plant post hypnotic commands or control a person.
- Mirages: The Ring can create mirages/illusions.
- Phasing: The ring allows the user to go through walls.
- Power Absorbing: In the JLA's first fight with Amazo, it was GL who defeated him by drawing out all of Amazo's powers. In Green Lantern/ Silver Surfer: Unholy Alliances, Kyle defeated Parallax with SS' power and Thanos with Oa's energy by drawing out all that extra energy from them which made them unconscious. However he couldn't hold all that power nor could his Ring like Hal did with Amazo's powers, so that move isn't often used with so much power.
- Probing: The ring can probe the Lantern's or another person's mind, allowing him to uncover memories or the person's thoughts.
- Radiation: Besides light based radiation used to create the energy constructs associated with a Green Lantern, the ring can simulate various forms of radiation. One example of this is the ability to simulate the radiation of Green Kryptonite, a form of radiation that is harmful to Superman. However, this ability is no longer valid and has been retconned.
- Recharging: The rings need to be recharged by means of a Power Battery. Other large sources of power may be used to recharge a power ring, however effectiveness may vary. The internal power source of a Manhunter Android is, in effect, the same as a power battery, and can be used to recharge a power ring. During the JLA / Avengers crossover, a Cosmic Cubewas used to recharge a depleted ring, although this is not an ideal solution and is available if there are no other options.
- Ring Duplication: Each ring can duplicate itself, creating a second ring which may be given to another as a backup, for protection, or to help the lantern in times of great need. This duplicate ring is exactly like a normal ring.
- Temperature Control: The Ring can increase or decrease the temperature of anything, even something as large as stars, or even create bubbles of intense heat or cold, even down to Absolute Zero.
- Transforming: The ring can transform anyone or anything, be it into an animal, altering their state of appearance, or their size. Once Hal and Alan turned the two Flashes ( Barry and Jay) to light protons in order to free them from prisons.
- Electro-magnetic scanning: The ring can allow(through the use of x rays) the user to see through walls, without the people on the other side knowing. it can also scan along the Electromagnetic spectrum.
- Wormhole/Warps: The ring can open wormholes to cut down on distance.
- Time travel: The ring allows the wielder the ability to travel through time, though the process requires great willpower.
- Healing: A wielder can command a ring to heal him/her/itself of any injures incurred. It can also heal others.
- Energy twin: The ring can create an energy copy of the wielder which is connected to the ring wielder, any information the twin gathers is transferred to the wielder upon touch while others cannot see this twin apart from fellow Green Lanterns.
- Pocket dimension: Within the ring is a pocket dimension which can altered to the wielders specification. It can be used to contain opponents.
- Sub-routines: The power rings have inner programmings or mechanisms which can executed without the users permission. One such sub-routine is the autoshield. This shield automatically protects a wielder from external harm and has been proven to be capable of protecting the wielder from planetary level attacks.