Space Sector: 13
Successor: Guy Gardner
Welcome to the Red Lantern Corps
During the rise of the Sinestro Corps, Arkillo killed and ate Vice's mate, a tragic loss that fueled the great rage that stirred inside of him. Since then, Vice has been consumed with revenge against Arkillo and the entire Sinestro Corps. On the planet Ysmault, beside a lake of blood, Vice swore an oath of vengeance at the behest of Atrocitus, and the red light consumed his body and replaced his blood. Vice was transformed into a Red Lantern, a killing machine fueled by an endless rage.
Vice was one of the Red Lanterns that attack both the Sinestro Corps and the Green Lanterns during the attempted rescue of Sinestro from the Green Lantern's custody. His new Corps tore through both groups with ease and abducted Sinestro. The Red Lanterns took their captive to Ysmault where Atrocitus planned on draining every drop of his blood into his ring. Once there, Vice laid in wait along with other Red Lanterns to ambush Hal Jordan when he arrived to take Sinestro back. The ambush was successful, and the Green Lantern joined Sinestro as one of their sacrificial captives. However, members of the Sinestro Corps arrived to free their leader, and even more surprising, two Blue Lanterns came to rescue Hal Jordan. Vice fought them, but both parties escaped with the people they came for.
Major Story Arcs
Prison Riot on Oa
Vice left Ysmault immediately after this incident and came upon Kilowog and Salaak on their way back to Oa from the failed attempt to take Sinestro home to Korugar for execution. Vice attacked them and was defeated by the two veteran Green Lanterns. He was muzzled and brought back to Oa, where he was forced into a sciencell. He didn't remain here for long. The burning blood of his power ring ate through the sciencell and allowed him to break free. Once free, he attacked the surprised warden of the Oan sciencells, Voz.
He severely injured Voz and sparked a chaotic prison riot on Oa. Neither Green Lantern or Sinestro Corps soldier was safe from his wrath. The Green Lanterns were eventually able to wrest control back from the inmates, and Vice was sealed away in his sciencell once more.
Later, the Black Lantern Corps laid siege upon Oa using the Green Lantern Corps own dead risen from the crypts. As they began an overwhelming assault upon the Central Battery, Kyle Rayner and Guy Gardner retrieved Vice's sciencell. The released him and threw him into the midst of the Black Lanterns. Vice did not care who he was unleashing his wrath upon and immediately began tearing into the Black Lanterns. His fury was enough to turn the tide and weaken the Black Lanterns' attack, but only for so long as he lasted. He was killed by Alpha Lantern Chaselon, who struck without warning or necessity following the command that rampaging sciencell prisoners were to be executed.
Once Vice was killed, his ring found a new owner with Guy Gardner, who was furious over the brief death of Kyle Rayner.
The New 52
Blood and Rage
After the new 52 reboot, Vice appears to be alive once again and a member of Atrocitus's Red Lantern Corp once again.
Death of the Red Lanterns
Vise is one of the group of Red Lanterns that comes to Atrocitus' aid when he is attacked by the Abysmorphs. Vise also stays behind with the Red Lantern on Ysmault when it appears the Red Battery may have been destroyed.
Powers and Abilities
Vice follows a simple philosophy: tear and destroy. Vice's unusual facial structure allows him to clamp on and rip an enemies head off by using his bottom pincher bone to shove up and through someone's chin, while the top pincher clamps down on the top of the skull. He is a vicious and sadistic fighter; as soon as one Lantern is down, Vice goes to the next one.
Vice is a bearer of the Red Lantern Ring and has all the powers that come with it. The abilities the ring grants him are:
- Animating: A Red Lantern can will things to move how he wants.
- Caustic Effect: Red Lantern power can damage and drain away the power of other lanterns almost like a poison. For example green lanterns who survive a Red Lantern attack will begin to lose power from the almost napalm like attacks of Red Lanterns.
- Communicator: The ring can act as a personal communicator between Lanterns.
- Costumes: The wearer of the ring may create any costume they choose, based on their personal preferences, whenever they choose. The ring projects the costume over any clothes already worn at the time. While Red Lanterns have no costume code they all are red and black with the Red Lantern symbol displayed.
- Energy Projection: The rings can also project beams, form protective bubbles and force fields, and fire destructive blasts. The attacks often come from the mouth from a Red Lantern.
- Energy Constructs: The rings can construct anything the wearer can imagine from hard-light energy, as long as they are willing to make it. The more determined the wearer is, the more complex and intricate these things can be. The constructs can even be so complex as to form working machines, computers, and even people. Red Lanterns have difficulty creating constructs due to their anger. Vice has yet to display constructs.
- Flight: The ring allows the wearer to fly in atmosphere or in space, and can achieve incredible speeds, moving from planet to planet in a matter of hours.
- Heart Replacement: Red Lantern Rings replace the heart of the lantern who wields them so removing a Red Lantern ring is often fatal without medical attention or the presence of a Blue Lantern. Atrocitus had his heart ripped from his body and was able to return to the fight within seconds since his ring serves as his heart.
- Mirages: The Ring can create mirages/illusions.
- Recharging: The rings need to be recharged by means of a Power Battery. Other large sources of power may be used to recharge a power ring, however effectiveness may vary. The internal power source of a Manhunter Android is, in effect, the same as a power battery, and can be used to recharge a power ring. During the JLA / Avengers crossover, a Cosmic Cube was used to recharge a depleted ring, although this is not an ideal solution and is available if there are no other options.
- Ring Duplication: Each ring can duplicate itself, creating a second ring which may be given to another as a backup, for protection, or to help the lantern in times of great need. This duplicate ring is exactly like a normal ring.
- Temperature Control: The Ring can increase or decrease the temperature of anything, even something as large as stars, or even create bubbles of intense heat or cold, even down to Absolute Zero.
- Electro-magnetic scanning: The ring can allow(through the use of x rays) the user to see through walls, without the people on the other side knowing. it can also scan along the Electromagnetic spectrum.
- Wormhole/Warps: The ring can open wormholes to cut down on distance.