Space Sector: 3599
Sector Partner: Unknown
A frightful hunchbacked alien, Kryb is a Sinestro Corps member with a particularly ghoulish modus operandi. She only attacks Green Lanterns who have newborn children. Kryb instills fear into their hearts by threatening the life of their child and then strikes. After murdering both parents, she takes the child, putting it in her sac-like back.
She was first introduced in a tale told by a captive Lyssa Drak to the married Green Lantern couple and expectant parents Amnee and Matoo Pree. Lyssa recounts the tale of Jeryll, a Green Lantern who had recently given birth to a child. Jeryll's husband called her, reporting an attack on their home. Upon returning, Jeryll finds him murdered and her newborn in the clutches of Kryb. Terrified to see her child in the clutches of a monster, Jeryll's willpower fades and she is easily killed by Kryb.
Kryb then comforts the baby, letting her know that no harm will come to her and welcoming her to join her many brothers and sisters - all orphans of the Green Lantern Corps.
Lyssa concludes her tale, visibly unnerving Amnee. Matoo rebuffs her, stating her fables do not scare them. Lyssa tauntingly wonders how they will feel when Kryb comes to see them the day their child is born.
Kryb recently attacked a sector house in Sector 1111 in hopes of getting another child of a Green Lantern, but was intercepted by Kyle Rayner, Soranik Natu, Amnee Pree, Matoo Pree and KT21, officer of Sector 181. Amnee flies into the sector house and rescues the baby before Kryb could get to him and the four remaining Lanterns smash into the sector house to fight Kryb, knocking the sector house out of it's orbit.
The sector house starts to burn during the free-fall and impacts onto the surface. While underwater, Kryb infects the four Lanterns with gas/liquid that she gives off. The Lanterns are now under her complete control. Kryb starts to fight Amnee, who wasn't in the sector house when it crashed, when Amnee goes into labor. Kryb commands the other Lanterns to hold Amnee down while Kryb goes to forcefully take the baby from inside Amnee.
Kyle is able to break free of Kryb's hold over him and releases the other Lanterns as well. Kyle and KT21 go to fight Kryb while Natu stays to deliver the baby with Matoo's help. The Lanterns are helped out by Miri Riam, one of the first new Star Sapphires, who was attracted to the battle after she sensed Kryb endangering Amnee and Matoo's love. She helps take down Kryb, but not before Kryb manages to kill KT21. Kryb became encased in violet crystal and was taken to Zamaron to be "rehabilitated" by the Star Sapphire Corps.
During Blackest Night, still encased in violet crystal, she was finally freed by Tekik. Her first reaction was to all of her babies who she stole from Green Lantern couples. Chased by Star Sapphire Miri Riam, she arrived on Vora to find her babies gone. With the help of Miri, they traced a energy trail back to Oa. Sadly, due to Kryb's absence, all of her stolen children starved and became Black Lanterns. Red Lantern Guy Gardner ripped her ringed arm off and shoved it down her throat. She survived and transported to Earth to fight Nekron with all the other Lantern Corps. (It is presumed that she took the ring off of her ripped-off hand and put it on another hand).
During Brightest Day, she, along with the whole Sinestro Corps, assembled on Qward at Sinestro's request to fight The Weaponer, who had Soranik Natu hostage. It is presumed that she survived.
Powers and Abilities
Qwardian (Yellow) Power Ring which give him the following abilities:
- Animating: A Sinestro Lantern can will things to move how he wants. The object moved however is often covered in a yellow aura.
- Artificial Intelligence : Every ring has a connection to the Main Battery on Qward, which taps into Parallax. It acts as an "on-board computer," telling the wearer what they need to know. It can either respond out loud, or silently directly to the wearer's mind. The AI contains a large database of information that may be crucial to a "Sinestro's" success. The ring also translates nearly every language to and from the wearer, which is why the Corps can communicate with each other. When the bearer of a Sinestro Corps ring dies, the ring will seek out a suitable replacement for their sector, someone capable of instilling great fear.
- Communicator: The ring can act as a personal communicator between Sinestro Lanterns. They have also been seen connected to telephones.
- Costumes: The wearer of the ring may create any costume they choose, based on their personal preferences, whenever they choose. The ring projects the costume over any clothes already worn at the time.
- Energy Projection: The rings can also project beams, form protective bubbles and force fields, and fire destructive blasts. Sometimes, depending on the wearer, the beams and blasts make sounds.
- Energy Constructs: The rings can construct anything the wearer can imagine from hard-light energy, as long as they are willing to make it. The more determined the wearer is, the more complex and intricate these things can be. The constructs can even be so complex as to form working machines, computers, and even people.
- Flight: The ring allows the wearer to fly in atmosphere or in space, and can achieve incredible speeds, moving from planet to planet in a matter of hours.
- Invisibility: The Sinestro Corps ring has the ability to make the wielder invisible.
- Mind Control: The wearer of the Ring can use it to plant post hypnotic commands or control a person.
- Mirages: The Ring can create mirages/illusions.
- Phasing: The ring allows the user to go through walls.
- Power Absorbing: In the JLA's first fight with Amazo, it was GL who defeated him by drawing out all of Amazo's powers. In Green Lantern/Silver Surfer: Unholy Alliances, Kyle defeated Parallax with SS' power and Thanos with Oa's energy by drawing out all that extra energy from them which made them unconscious. However he couldn't hold all that power nor could his Ring like Hal did with Amazo's powers, so that move isn't often used with so much power.
- Probing: The ring can probe the Lantern's or another person's mind, allowing him to uncover memories or the person's thoughts.
- Radiation: Besides light based radiation used to create the energy constructs associated with a Sinestro Corps member or a Green Lantern, the ring can simulate various forms of radiation. One example of this is the ability to simulate the radiation of Red solar radiation, which stunts or removes the powers of Kryptonians and Daxamites.
- Recharging: The rings need to be recharged by means of a Power Battery. Other large sources of power may be used to recharge a power ring, however effectiveness may vary. The internal power source of a Manhunter Android is, in effect, the same as a power battery, and can be used to recharge a power ring. During the JLA / Avengers crossover, a Cosmic Cube was used to recharge a depleted ring, although this is not an ideal solution and is available if there are no other options. Members of the Sinestro Corps they generally quote the Sinestro Corps oath while recharging their rings: "In blackest day, in brightest night, Beware your fears made into light! Let those who try to stop what's right, Burn like his power... Sinestro's might!” Unlike the Green Lantern Corps however each Sinestro Corps member seems to use a standard unaltered oath.
- Temperature Control: The Ring can increase or decrease the temperature of anything, even something as large as stars, or even create bubbles of intense heat or cold, even down to Absolute Zero..
- X-Ray: The Sinestro power ring has the ability to see through all objects without others around him/her being aware that the object has been made transparent. Not all material can be penetrated though.