Amon Sur was born the son of Abin Sur, the Green Lantern who gave his power ring to Hal Jordan before dying. As Amon grew older, he began to blame the Green Lantern Corps for the loss of his father. Amon swore revenge on them and eventually fought Kyle Rayner. After being defeated, Amon disappeared, until Hal Jordan returned from the dead. Amon ambushed Hal, attempting to claim his father's ring, thinking he deserved it. After losing yet again to a Green Lantern, a mysterious yellow ring came to him and cited his ability to instill great fear. Amon laughed in triumph and vanished into nothingness. He later appeared as a member of the Sinestro Corp until his death at the hands of Laira.
Major Story Arcs
Black circle: Urban Knights
Amon Sur came to earth posing as a member of the Ungara Elite Light Brigade, who are trying to stop the Black Circle Crime Syndicate, when in truth he is the leader of the Black Circle himself. He tricked Kyle Rayner and Oliver Queen into helping him stop a group of defectors from the Black Circle. He then trapped Kyle and Oliver on his flag ship and took Kyle’s ring, but never could get it to work. After Kyle and Oliver escaped their cells, Amon Sur ambushed Kyle and beat him senseless. It wasn’t until Oliver showed up that Amon Sur had to make a quick retreat, vowing revenge on Kyle and the Earth in general.
Hal Jordon: Wanted
Amon Sur sent his henchman Loragg to hire bounty hunters to capture Hal Jordon, alive, so that he may kill him and get his Green Lantern Ring. While the The Faceless Hunter From Saturn and the Dominators attempt to capture Hal, Amon Sur and Loragg attack Edwards Air Force Base to collect Amon Sur's father's ship.
Upon getting confirmation that Hunger Dog as captured Hal, he meets them in the desert. There he attempts to kill Hal, but Hunger Dog betrays him and Hal is set free. Amon Sur and Hal fight it out using only there fist and it looks like Hal will win. This is when a Sinestro Corps Ring finds Amon Sur and teleports him away for training.
Tales of the Sinestro Corps
Note: Tales occurs in back up stories in Mystery of the Star Sapphire story arc
While on the planet Qward, Lyssa Drak tells Amon Sur the storys of Despotellis, Karu-Sil, Bedovian preparing him to enter the Fear Lodge and become a full member of the Sinestro Corps.
Sinestro Corps War
Amon became a member of the Sinestro Corps. He took part in the fight on Qward when Hal Jordan was captured by Parallax. He can be seen behind Sinestro as the Corps of Fear invade Earth. During the final battle, Amon witnessed the Green Lanterns using lethal force and fled the battlefield in fear.
When the Lost Lanterns arrived on the fallen Green Lantern Ke'Haan's home planet to deliver his body to his family they discovered an awful truth. Amon stood before them surrounded by the dead bodies of Ke'Haan's family. Amon had killed them all. He told the Lost Lanterns of his plan to make an example of Ke'Haan's family so he could inspire others to spread fear. Amon even told them to arrest him but Laira, who secretly had fallen in love with Ke'Haan, attacked Amon and sliced him across the right side of his body. Amon collapsed, dead. His ring confirmed his death and flew into space to find a new bearer for Sector 2814.
Amon Sur's corpse was revived by a black power ring, turning him into a Black Lantern. Leading a group of other Black Lanterns who had died as Sinestro soldiers, Amon came to Zamaron and confronted Sinestro.
- Sinestro Soldier
- Status: Deceased
- Space Sector: 2814
- Sector Partner: ?
- Homeworld: Ungara
- Predecessor: Inapplicable
- Successor: Unknown
Powers and Abilities
Amon Sur is the wielder of a Sinestro Corps member ring. The ring gives him the ability to do the following things:
- Animating: A Sinestro Lantern can will things to move how he wants. The object moved however is often covered in a yellow aura.
- Artificial Intelligence : Every ring has a connection to the Main Battery on Qward, which taps into Parallax. It acts as an "on-board computer," telling the wearer what they need to know. It can either respond out loud, or silently directly to the wearer's mind. The AI contains a large database of information that may be crucial to a "Sinestro's" success. The ring also translates nearly every language to and from the wearer, which is why the Corps can communicate with each other. When the bearer of a Sinestro Corps ring dies, the ring will seek out a suitable replacement for their sector, someone capable of instilling great fear.
- Communicator: The ring can act as a personal communicator between Sinestro Lanterns. They have also been seen connected to telephones. Weather
- Costumes: The wearer of the ring may create any costume they choose, based on their personal preferences, whenever they choose. The ring projects the costume over any clothes already worn at the time.
- Energy Projection: The rings can also project beams, form protective bubbles and force fields, and fire destructive blasts. Sometimes, depending on the wearer, the beams and blasts make sounds.
- Energy Constructs: The rings can construct anything the wearer can imagine from hard-light energy, as long as they are willing to make it. The more determined the wearer is, the more complex and intricate these things can be. The constructs can even be so complex as to form working machines, computers, and even people.
- Flight: The ring allows the wearer to fly in atmosphere or in space, and can achieve incredible speeds, moving from planet to planet in a matter of hours.
- Invisibility: The Sinestro Corps ring has the ability to make
- Mirages: The Ring can create mirages/illusions.
- Phasing: The ring allows the user to go through walls.
- Power Absorbing: In the JLA's first fight with Amazo, it was GL who defeated him by drawing out all of Amazo's powers. In Green Lantern/Silver Surfer: Unholy Alliances, Kyle defeated Parallax with SS' power and Thanos with Oa's energy by drawing out all that extra energy from them which made them unconscious. However he couldn't hold all that power nor could his Ring like Hal did with Amazo's powers, so that move isn't often used with so much power.
- Probing: The ring can probe the Lantern's or another person's mind, allowing him to uncover memories or the person's thoughts.
- Radiation: Besides light based radiation used to create the energy constructs associated with a Sinestro Corps member or a Green Lantern, the ring can simulate various forms of radiation. One example of this is the ability to simulate the radiation of Red solar radiation, which stunts or removes the powers of Kryptonians and Daxamites.
- Recharging: The rings need to be recharged by means of a Power Battery. Other large sources of power may be used to recharge a power ring, however effectiveness may vary. The internal power source of a Manhunter Android is, in effect, the same as a power battery, and can be used to recharge a power ring. During the JLA / Avengers crossover, a Cosmic Cube was used to recharge a depleted ring, although this is not an ideal solution and is available if there are no other options. Members of the Sinestro Corps they generally quote the Sinestro Corps oath while recharging their rings: "In blackest day, in brightest night, Beware your fears made into light! Let those who try to stop what's right, Burn like his power... Sinestro's might!” Unlike the Green Lantern Corps however each Sinestro Corps member seems to use a standard unaltered oath.
- X-Ray: The Sinestro power ring has the ability to see through all objects without others around him/her being aware that the object has been made transparent. Not all material can be penetrated though.
- Instill Fear: The Yellow Power Ring has the unique ability to enter into the minds of its victims and display their worst fears. These fear are often times not exactly what the victim believes what they would or should be rather they are deeper darker fears that the victims subconscious attempts to cover.