Are there any valid arguments against homosexuality at all?

Jonez_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#251  Edited By Jonez_

@jaken7: Yeah. The theory of overpopulation contributing to the increasing amount of homosexuals and bisexuals does actually make sense.

MonsterStomp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jaken7: Well to do that, I'd have to hear every "valid" argument and pick out the one I feel a good case to make. I don't really feel like debating against gays, considering I have like 10 gay friends, I'd feel pretty low.

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@monsterstomp: Well ok then.

Just in case though, the arguments presented so far have been:

- it won't produce children, (the more eccentric folks have taken it a step further and claimed that that means it will doom the human race to extinction)

- it's not natural

- it's icky

- god says it's a no-no

and that's about it. I agree with absolutely none of them, but it is what it is.

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@jonez120: I'd be interested to see if any studies have been done on that or a similar theory.

rogueshadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#255  Edited By rogueshadow  Moderator
No Caption Provided

Oh wait, wrong thread.

JohnnyZ256

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@valdemocnij said:

@johnnyz256 said:

It's against God's Law. It's against the natural order of things, also.

Tatoos are against God's laws too. As are Shellfish and wearing gold.

Plenty of people do those things.

More than that, men without genitals can't be Christians.

"A man whose testicles are crushed or whose penis is cut off may never join the assembly of the Lord." - Deuteronomy 23:1

If you get testicular cancer and choose to do anything about it, you're going to hell.

Many people misunderstand the difference between ceremonial and moral laws. Moral laws continue throughout time; ceremonial laws were for a particular period. The ban of certain types of food, including shellfish, was a ceremonial law, intended to essentially teach Israel that they should not be unequally yoked with unbelievers. That picture is no longer required in our time, and so the prohibition against eating shellfish is removed (though the moral law of restraining from being unequally yoked is still in play). Indeed, the Bible even teaches in the New Testament that everything is to be received, if it be received with thanksgiving (speaking about food).

The tattoos and genitals passages are also ceremonial laws, pictures intended to display a greater spiritual meaning.

What "plenty of people do" is not the issue. Many people lie, but that doesn't mean that lying is okay with God. And since we're all sinners, we're all doomed, unless God has mercy on any one of us. So, even if "doing something" about testicular cancer were wrong in God's eyes, that person would be in trouble with God for the many thousands of other sins they've committed.

pikahyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 581

#257 pikahyper  Moderator

@johnnyz256:

Many people misunderstand the difference between ceremonial and moral laws. Moral laws continue throughout time; ceremonial laws were for a particular period. The ban of certain types of food, including shellfish, was a ceremonial law, intended to essentially teach Israel that they should not be unequally yoked with unbelievers. That picture is no longer required in our time, and so the prohibition against eating shellfish is removed (though the moral law of restraining from being unequally yoked is still in play). Indeed, the Bible even teaches in the New Testament that everything is to be received, if it be received with thanksgiving (speaking about food).

Well said but I don't think many people even know there are ceremonial and moral laws let alone that there are differences, too many people are stuck on the entire thing being timeless.

ComicStooge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

@comicstooge said:

@valdemocnij said:

@johnnyz256 said:

"A man whose testicles are crushed or whose penis is cut off may never join the assembly of the Lord." - Deuteronomy 23:1

If you get testicular cancer and choose to do anything about it, you're going to hell.

The tattoos and genitals passages are also ceremonial laws, pictures intended to display a greater spiritual meaning.

What "plenty of people do" is not the issue. Many people lie, but that doesn't mean that lying is okay with God. And since we're all sinners, we're all doomed, unless God has mercy on any one of us. So, even if "doing something" about testicular cancer were wrong in God's eyes, that person would be in trouble with God for the many thousands of other sins they've committed.

Very good response, bro.

If only more religious people were like yourself.

Noone301994

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#259  Edited By Noone301994

The entire world population can fit in Texas.

The area of Texas is about 262,000 mi2. Dividing this figure by the current human population of 7 billion leaves each person with less than 100 square meters, a small plot the size of a big room about 10 m x 10 m.

JoshuaDBr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cuddlebear:

I understand what your'e saying. I only know where the Bible says it about men. On one of my firsts posts here I said I wasn't sure what the Bible says about women. In this case I'm actually not disagreeing with you.

Also, I'm sorry if I said you were starting a fight. There wasn't really a fight. I just had the feeling it was about to turn into one.

GoldGoblin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't like the 'god is against homsexuality' reason. If we are going to start making laws based on Christianity, why not other religions?

pikahyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#262 pikahyper  Moderator

@cuddlebear:

I understand what your'e saying. I only know where the Bible says it about men. On one of my firsts posts here I said I wasn't sure what the Bible says about women. In this case I'm actually not disagreeing with you.

Also, I'm sorry if I said you were starting a fight. There wasn't really a fight. I just had the feeling it was about to turn into one.

To my recollection it doesn't say anything about women, honestly I doubt it was even considered back then, women were usually an afterthought and culturally I doubt lesbians even occurred to them as a thing, women were just the wife (past/present/future) or the whore, laying with beasts was more of a thing then woman on woman.

pikahyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#263 pikahyper  Moderator

@goldgoblin: ah the good old separation of church and state oh how I've missed it :P I don't even think that's really been used the entire time I've been alive.

Jphu8414

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

For me personally, there are absolutely zero valid arguments.

GoldGoblin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#265  Edited By GoldGoblin

@pikahyper: are you talking about the separation of church and state or the 'god disapproves of gay people' argument? I've seen the latter a disheartening amount of times.

BlackLegRaph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't like the 'god is against homsexuality' reason. If we are going to start making laws based on Christianity, why not other religions?

A lot of other religions are also against homosexuality though, so even if we go by majority vote...you get the idea.

@comicstooge said:

@valdemocnij said:

@johnnyz256 said:

Glad to see someone else has already mentioned it.

As for reasons, many have already been mentioned, but you do have to clarify what situation you are talking about here. If you are referring to legislating it as law, then many are not valid arguments, but when you speak of personal opinion there are many different ones.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a162dd41dd64
deactivated-5a162dd41dd64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 100

User Lists: 6

@comicstooge:

Believe me... there is no man no woman who earn to go to paradise... everyone have a sins !

No Caption Provided

Avatar image for deactivated-5ee15da0e0aad
deactivated-5ee15da0e0aad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

pikahyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#269 pikahyper  Moderator

@goldgoblin: separation of church and state, other then the vary basic use in k-12 I don't see it come in to play like ever.

GoldGoblin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@blacklegraph: I'm not talking about that, i'm talking about the fact that other religions have stuff there not allowed to do. If one religion is allowed to have their way, all of them do.

GoldGoblin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pikahyper: Yeah, whenever i talk to people about this they just say that the law was created to protect the church from the state, not the other way around. Regardless of whether that's true, it doesn't change the fact that it works the other way around too.

pikahyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#272 pikahyper  Moderator

@goldgoblin: it needs to be a two way street, just like the government is supposed to represent the people, I'm just so tired of religion being shoehorned in to anything political, it has put us back at least a decade.

Black_Arrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Meh don't care, people should mind their own business.

GoldGoblin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pikahyper: I agree, religion and politics go together like fire and babies.

Jezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@racob7 said:

@johnnyz256: I don't follow "God's laws", your argument is invalid.

Also, animals take it up the butt all the time.

Just curious, do you know what "valid" actually means in an argument?

w0nd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Because if everyone was gay *chuckles*......then no one would be.

No Caption Provided

I'm super happy about this post. I can't stop laughing at work.

Rangerion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The only problem I have is when people of one orientation force their orientation on another person with a different orientation. We all have freedoms, but when people start forcing their stuff on others, that's when it gets ugly.

laflux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

No, but since when is someone's mouth more "dirty" than their ass. The worst thing I've got from kissing a girl is a cold.

Avatar image for greatcaesarsghost
GreatCaesarsGhost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jaken7 said:

@monsterstomp: Well ok then.

Just in case though, the arguments presented so far have been:

- it won't produce children, (the more eccentric folks have taken it a step further and claimed that that means it will doom the human race to extinction)

- it's not natural

- it's icky

- god says it's a no-no

and that's about it. I agree with absolutely none of them, but it is what it is.

w0nd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#280  Edited By w0nd

@comicstooge said:

@valdemocnij said:

@johnnyz256 said:

no one ever explained it this way to me. Even when I went to church. They basically just made people feel bad for not following the rules with no explanation as to why they are followed, the explination was "because god is a jealous vengeful god, you should fear him but love him" which as a child is some scary stuff. I am not spouting blasphemy here, but to a child that is confusing and scary...sooo thank you for explaining some things

Jezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#281  Edited By Jezer

ITT: Comicvine users use a word without knowing what it actually means in its context(the context of an argument). Waste 6 pages demonstrating that they don't know what it means. Though, I give props to the two users who say that the definition needs to be specified.

@princearagorn1 said:

No such a thing as 'valid argument' in these matters. What's valid for one maybe invalid for others or opposite..

Um, no.... That's the very opposite of the idea of "valid".

For the record... as a public service announcement.... in the context of "arguments," validity refers to the structure of the argument. Whether the logical steps lead to the conclusion. The truth of the beliefs and/or premises do not matter. What matters is that point leads to next point or premises lead to next premises.

In other words, here is an argument that counts as "valid":

If I were Superman, I'd be Kryptonian. I am Superman. Therefore, I am Kryptonian. = valid argument, because conclusion would be true if these premises were true.... Yet, I am not Superman and he doesn't exist, so the conclusion is false and the argument isn't sound. And still, the argument is valid.

Whether you believe in mouth germs, God, homosexuality, religion, evolution, Superman, tattoos, public displays of affection, etc. does not matter. Concerning validity, what matters is the existence of logical steps. And for refuting it, what matters is that you show there is a disconnect in the logical steps. Such as showing that a premise doesn't lead to another or the conclusion. But in context, validity is looked at when it is assumed or hypothesized that all the premises are true.

For more info, see

http://logic.philosophy.ox.ac.uk/tutorial1/Tut1-07.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Validity

http://bit.ly/1mO6LBk

Omega Ray Jay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 5

As long as everyone involved is of age and consenting, then it really isnt of any concern to anyone else.

Avatar image for consolemaster001
consolemaster001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

Joygirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 43

#284  Edited By Joygirl
No Caption Provided

CuddleBear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@joshuadbr said:

@cuddlebear:

To my recollection it doesn't say anything about women, honestly I doubt it was even considered back then, women were usually an afterthought and culturally I doubt lesbians even occurred to them as a thing, women were just the wife (past/present/future) or the whore, laying with beasts was more of a thing then woman on woman.

Have you ever considered that The Bible is the Word of God... and that God is just a total bro that is grossed out by dudes being together but thinks lesbians are sooooo hot

dngn4774

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

#286  Edited By dngn4774

@racob7: I think you're asking the wrong question here. It's actually pretty easy to make a valid argument against homosexuality, because it is very easy to make any argument valid. From a philosophical standpoint, all that "valid" really means is that the argument is phrased in such a way that if the premises where true the conclusion would have to be true. Valid arguments don't have to be true, they just have to be coherent. For example, take the religious argument:

Premise 1: The bible states the laws of God.

Premise 2: The bible prohibits homosexuality.

Conclusion: Therefore, homosexuality violates God's law.

This is a valid argument because if both premises were true the conclusion would have to be true. Notice that the existence of God and discerning the bible's actual position on homosexuality is completely irrelevant towards accessing the validity of the argument. All that matters is that if the premises were true the conclusion is definitely true.

pikahyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#287 pikahyper  Moderator

@cuddlebear: if he was so in to them he'd probably have mentioned them in the book in one way or another, god is more of a drunken abusive step dad then a bro.

nefarious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Not sure.

CuddleBear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cuddlebear: if he was so in to them he'd probably have mentioned them in the book in one way or another, god is more of a drunken abusive step dad then a bro.

LOL... well this certainly has taken a dark turn :)

dngn4774

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pikahyper said:

LOL... well this certainly has taken a dark turn :)

More truthful than dark. If all creatures are the children of God and species continue to breed, than sex on nearly every level is incest. Also every murder would be fratricide.

pikahyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#291 pikahyper  Moderator

@cuddlebear: it's not all kittens and rainbows, most holy books tend to be pretty dark :P

Jezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#292  Edited By Jezer

@dngn4774 said:

@racob7: I think you're asking the wrong question here. It's actually pretty easy to make a valid argument against homosexuality, because it is very easy to make any argument valid. From a philosophical standpoint, all that "valid" really means is that the argument is phrased in such a way that if the premises where true the conclusion would have to be true. Valid arguments don't have to be true, they just have to be coherent. For example, take the religious argument:

Premise 1: The bible states the laws of God.

Premise 2: The bible prohibits homosexuality.

Conclusion: Therefore, homosexuality violates God's law.

This is a valid argument because if both premises were true the conclusion would have to be true. Notice that the existence of God and discerning the bible's actual position on homosexuality is completely irrelevant towards accessing the validity of the argument. All that matters is that if the premises were true the conclusion is definitely true.

Though, the validity of that argument could be challenged like this:

However,

Premise 3: The bible does not only state the laws of God, but more including human laws, parables, and opinions.

Thus, the fact that "The bible prohibits homosexuality" would not necessarily mean that its stated as God's law in the bible(there's a logical leap there), therefore the conclusion does not necessarily follow(and its invalid).

Avatar image for twix_right_side
Twix_Right_Side

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#293  Edited By Twix_Right_Side

@jezer said:

ITT: Comicvine users use a word without knowing what it actually means in its context(the context of an argument). Waste 6 pages demonstrating that they don't know what it means. Though, I give props to the two users who say that the definition needs to be specified.

@princearagorn1 said:

No such a thing as 'valid argument' in these matters. What's valid for one maybe invalid for others or opposite..

Um, no.... That's the very opposite of the idea of "valid".

For the record... as a public service announcement.... in the context of "arguments," validity refers to the structure of the argument. Whether the logical steps lead to the conclusion. The truth of the beliefs and/or premises do not matter. What matters is that point leads to next point or premises lead to next premises.

In other words, here is an argument that counts as "valid":

If I were Superman, I'd be Kryptonian. I am Superman. Therefore, I am Kryptonian. = valid argument, because conclusion would be true if these premises were true.... Yet, I am not Superman and he doesn't exist, so the conclusion is false and the argument isn't sound. And still, the argument is valid.

Whether you believe in mouth germs, God, homosexuality, religion, evolution, Superman, tattoos, public displays of affection, etc. does not matter. Concerning validity, what matters is the existence of logical steps. And for refuting it, what matters is that you show there is a disconnect in the logical steps. Such as showing that a premise doesn't lead to another or the conclusion. But in context, validity is looked at when it is assumed or hypothesized that all the premises are true.

For more info, see

http://logic.philosophy.ox.ac.uk/tutorial1/Tut1-07.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Validity

http://bit.ly/1mO6LBk

My tiny brain cannot comprehend all of this logic.

Btw,what makes a conclusion sound or fallacious? If the outcome is correct/incorrect?

marvel_boy2241

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#294  Edited By marvel_boy2241
No Caption Provided

dngn4774

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@w0nd said:

@eisenfauste said:

Because if everyone was gay *chuckles*......then no one would be.

No Caption Provided

I'm super happy about this post. I can't stop laughing at work.

Rainja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#296  Edited By Rainja

I don't justify Homosexuality. I understand that it's common and have been practiced from like forever but I believe that is just people's preferences. Now if you want to be gay good for you. We all have free will and it's your choice to do what you wanna do in your own privacy. Also, I don't believe people are born that way. I really don't, I just think it's a preference just like how some people prefer a coke over Pepsi. What is natural is the urge to have sex. We are born with these physical capabilities.But who and what we do with them is up to us as individuals.To say someone is wired to be gay is like saying, someone is wired to like a specific person Which is crazy if u ask me.That goes for straight people too. It's psychological. In my opinion.

SheenLantern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rainja said:

I don't believe people are born that way. I really don't, I just think it's a preference just like how some people prefer a coke over Pepsi.

Because you would know, right?

Jezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Btw,what makes a conclusion sound or fallacious? If the outcome is correct/incorrect?

Argument is sound when it is valid and all the premises are true, as well.(So conclusion is necessarily true) Everything's on point.

nick_hero22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's unnatural. Homosexuality goes against nature. The physiology of the human body makes homosexuality illogical in the sense that biologically, we are supposed to have sex only with those of opposite gender to prolong the species.

Biologically, that is all we are here for. To have kids. And die.

Now if you are talking about homosexuality as a lifestyle, I don't have any problems with homosexuals as long as they don't make any advances in my direction. So I don't really have an argument against it other than the biological explanation.

What makes something natural and unnatural? Wouldn't anything that fits within the parameters of our "Physical Laws" be considered natural by definition?

In regards to biology, how do you know that homosexuality isn't a way to stabilize our population growth? In biology you learn about things called carry capacities which is the environment's capacity to carry a certain quantity of animals (or for the sake of the argument individuals), and when individuals arrive at the limit of that capacity "Nature" has certain ways in which it can regulation overpopulation in the environment.

Just because we are here to reproduce and expand our lineages doesn't mean that's all we ought to do.

pikahyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#300 pikahyper  Moderator

@rainja: sooo uncountable numbers of teen and pre-teen boys and girls all around the world are choosing to be bullied, oppressed, hurt and even killed on a regular basis? Even if it was psychological statistically there would be a percentage that could be "cured" or choose not to be gay and that just isn't happening.

It is real easy to think it is a choice until you are around it and see that true homosexuality is not a choice, there is however a large percentage of people that are not truly gay, these people are in it for fun, status, wealth, attention or popularity, they are a growing percentage unfortunately but they are still in the minority in the community and they could never truly be considered real homosexuals.