Are there any valid arguments against homosexuality at all?

Avatar image for slacker_the_hacker
slacker the hacker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Jeeeeeeeez

Come oooooooooon

Straight

Gay

Whatever

Its all the same at the end of the day in fact its always amazed me how much people worry about who's having sex with who or who gets to marry who. Its honestly way to much work to put all that energy into being against any kind love.

Love makes people smile and smiles are always good.

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 0

#202 SC  Moderator

No not really. Homosexuality is a term to describe a type of behavior, activity and action, so what does it mean to be for or against it? Perhaps better terms are acceptance of homosexuality, rejection of it homosexuality, or denouncing homosexuality as immoral or unnatural or things along those lines. So about understanding and also about application of ideas as far as discretion involved when applying ideas like ethics, morality and what is objectively true and subjectively true and preferential.

Nature and evolution is more complicated than a single individuals motivation to have offspring, not to get too much into it here, but single individuals don't have some ultimate goal of having offspring. Many of the behavior, actions and activities biological organisms will be motivated to undertake will overlap and be prompted by procreation but thats very different conceptually than being a single driving objective. That would have to be established as a valid process to give weight to any validity opposing homosexuality.

Thats just one example. Alternatively there are lots of subjective reasons to be against homosexuality. An individual doesn't like it. An individual does not wish to partake in it, an individuals of the former reasons also believes their reasons and justifications in the opposition of such activity, actions and actions are objective and universal, an authority of some sort imposes restrictions/prohibits that type of behavior, action or activity and individuals/groups allegiance, loyalty or investment is stronger with that authority. Then again that applies as much to any sort of concept that deals with behavior, activity and action and how people are applied to those processes, so not mutually exclusive to the concept/idea of homosexuality.

If being for homosexuality is the idea that individuals should exclusively practice it for it is objectively superior then it suffers from the same or similar problems. If being for homosexuality is the acceptance of homosexuality then as far as understanding and knowledge - validity as far as its naturalness or ethical nature, then its pretty robust. Its kind of a non issue and basically the same as the much more accepted and dominant idea of heterosexuality just that many individuals and groups in history have had difficulty understanding and knowing the differences between what is objective and what is subjective and applying the term natural and ideas about morality and ethics. Even just the last hundred years of science have demonstrated how simplistic, misinformed, flawed and outdated so many centuries of prior human ideas and theories about human behavior, nature have been and the future won't be so different as far as many of the ideas and attitudes present today either.

Avatar image for redxiii18881990
Redxiii18881990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I always found the argument of they can't reproduce funny. I mean sterile men can't reproduce, same goes for infertile women. So does that mean they are just "as bad" as gay people?

I don't think a good argument exists for being against it. Validity on the other hand is something totally different thing.

OverLordArhas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

@sc:

Nature and evolution is more complicated than a single individuals motivation to have offspring, not to get too much into it here, but single individuals don't have some ultimate goal of having offspring. Many of the behavior, actions and activities biological organisms will be motivated to undertake will overlap and be prompted by procreation but thats very different conceptually than being a single driving objective. That would have to be established as a valid process to give weight to any validity opposing homosexuality.

Individuality aside, isn't every living thing hard coded to reproduce?

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#205 SC  Moderator

@OverLordArhas: Depends on how you apply the idea living thing and reproduction, but short answer is no.

OverLordArhas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#206  Edited By OverLordArhas
SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#207  Edited By SC  Moderator

@OverLordArhas: Well to give a good example again you would have to give me how you are applying the terms "living thing" and "reproduction" (and "hard wired" as well) such terms are very loaded, it would be much better for you just to google and read about Intragenomic conflict and gene-centered view's of evolution. As a vague and basic example, anything that hasn't reproduced because its priorities have been elsewhere, its own survival and so on.

Bruxae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Not really, the only argument I can get behind is that anal sex can carry harmful bacteria, but that is easily countered with a condom.

There is a big pro though in the fact that the world is severly overpopulated, gay couples will not procreate, if they adopt they will instead take care of an uncared for child that is already here.. Which sounds like a win/win to me.

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#209  Edited By JakeN7

I came back to see if God Spawn deleted my "swamp trash" comment. He did not. I am elated disappoint.

@sc said:

No not really. Homosexuality is a term to describe a type of behavior, activity and action, so what does it mean to be for or against it? Perhaps better terms are acceptance of homosexuality, rejection of it homosexuality, or denouncing homosexuality as immoral or unnatural or things along those lines. So about understanding and also about application of ideas as far as discretion involved when applying ideas like ethics, morality and what is objectively true and subjectively true and preferential.

Thats just one example. Alternatively there are lots of subjective reasons to be against homosexuality. An individual doesn't like it. An individual does not wish to partake in it, an individuals of the former reasons also believes their reasons and justifications in the opposition of such activity, actions and actions are objective and universal, an authority of some sort imposes restrictions/prohibits that type of behavior, action or activity and individuals/groups allegiance, loyalty or investment is stronger with that authority. Then again that applies as much to any sort of concept that deals with behavior, activity and action and how people are applied to those processes, so not mutually exclusive to the concept/idea of homosexuality.

If being for homosexuality is the idea that individuals should exclusively practice it for it is objectively superior then it suffers from the same or similar problems. If being for homosexuality is the acceptance of homosexuality then as far as understanding and knowledge - validity as far as its naturalness or ethical nature, then its pretty robust. Its kind of a non issue and basically the same as the much more accepted and dominant idea of heterosexuality just that many individuals and groups in history have had difficulty understanding and knowing the differences between what is objective and what is subjective and applying the term natural and ideas about morality and ethics. Even just the last hundred years of science have demonstrated how simplistic, misinformed, flawed and outdated so many centuries of prior human ideas and theories about human behavior, nature have been and the future won't be so different as far as many of the ideas and attitudes present today either.

"A little dry and sciencey for my tastes," however...

No Caption Provided

...that was still brilliant.

Mr_Clockwork91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No hole is off limits, GIGGITY!

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@saren said:

Depending on how you define a valid argument, sure.

How specific. What a helpful addition to the discussion. Such a great-

ERROR...ERROR. SARCASM OVERLOAD. PLEASE TONE DOWN THE SNARK.

*ahem*...examples?

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Must...resist...joke...about...your...mother...

Mr_Clockwork91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jaken7 said:

@mr_clockwork91 said:

"No hole is off limits" is what your mom said to me, funny...

pikachumonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

lol

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jaken7 said:

@mr_clockwork91 said:

Meh. I kind of had the opposite scenario in mind, but same difference.

Mr_Clockwork91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jaken7 said:

@mr_clockwork91 said:

@jaken7 said:

@mr_clockwork91 said:

jakeN7's mom is life, jakeN7's mom is love!

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#218  Edited By JakeN7

@jaken7 said:

@mr_clockwork91 said:

@jaken7 said:

@mr_clockwork91 said:

Are you saying my mom is Shrek? O_o

Mr_Clockwork91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jaken7 said:

@mr_clockwork91 said:

@jaken7 said:

@mr_clockwork91 said:

@jaken7 said:

@mr_clockwork91 said:

Are you saying my mom is Shrek? O_o

I meant whore but whats the difference? I'm just kidding.

pikachumonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Being gay is complicated.

Valdemocnij

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's against God's Law. It's against the natural order of things, also.

ComicStooge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#222  Edited By ComicStooge

@valdemocnij said:

@johnnyz256 said:

It's against God's Law. It's against the natural order of things, also.

Tatoos are against God's laws too. As are Shellfish and wearing gold.

Plenty of people do those things.

More than that, men without genitals can't be Christians.

"A man whose testicles are crushed or whose penis is cut off may never join the assembly of the Lord." - Deuteronomy 23:1

If you get testicular cancer and choose to do anything about it, you're going to hell.

Valdemocnij

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#223  Edited By Valdemocnij

@comicstooge:

I don't like tatoos and i'm not for that !!! :D

ComicStooge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#224  Edited By ComicStooge

@valdemocnij said:

@comicstooge:

I don't like tatoos and i'm not for that !!! :D

Have you ever shaved?

If so, you're going to hell: "You shall not round off the side-growth of your heads nor harm the edges of your beard." - Leviticus 19:27

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@comicstooge: Varys, Grey Worm, The Unsullied, and Theon can't be Christains? What does god have against eunuchs?

ComicStooge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jaken7 said:

@comicstooge: Varys, Grey Worm, The Unsullied, and Theon can't be Christains? What does god have against eunuchs?

He also hates bowl-cuts.

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jaken7 said:

He also hates bowl-cuts.

No...way. You've got to be making that up. xD What about all those friars and monks with tonsures that were in his service? I thought the tonsure was supposed to like, expose your head to god or whatever.

ComicStooge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jaken7 said:

@comicstooge said:

@jaken7 said:

He also hates bowl-cuts.

No...way. You've got to be making that up. xD What about all those friars and monks with tonsures that were in his service? I thought the tonsure was supposed to like, expose your head to god or whatever.

"You shall not round off the side-growth of your heads nor harm the edges of your beard." - Leviticus 19:27

Those friars are all going to hell.

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#229  Edited By JakeN7

@jaken7 said:

@comicstooge said:

@jaken7 said:

He also hates bowl-cuts.

"You shall not round off the side-growth of your heads nor harm the edges of your beard." - Leviticus 19:27

Those friars are all going to hell.

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

Poor Friar Tuck...at least he'll burn with his buddy, Robin Hood.

No Caption Provided

Valdemocnij

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@comicstooge:

Believe me... there is no man no woman who earn to go to paradise... everyone have a sins !

kyrees

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

the only valid argument against homosexuality is reproduction and propagation but in our current world state, those two are not the priority. maybe if earth suffered a global cataclysm that reduced the world's population would these two things be fully considered.

cultural differences is a tricky thing to argue forth because of deep rooted prejudices or custom or societal norm that would pretty much make any argument for homosexuality dead. this also includes religious doctrines.

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@comicstooge:

Believe me... there is no man no woman who earn to go to paradise... everyone have a sins !

So...no one goes to heaven?

ComicStooge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@comicstooge:

Loading Video...

PrinceAragorn1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No such a thing as 'valid argument' in these matters. What's valid for one maybe invalid for others or opposite..

pikahyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 581

#235  Edited By pikahyper  Moderator

This thread cracks me up :P

Has anyone ever thought that maybe just maybe homosexuality is a naturally occurring phenomena brought on by overpopulation? The increasing amount of homosexuals through the years has never been a proportional increase but it does seem to inflate naturally when society/humanity reaches a point of overpopulation and excess (greed/wealth/power) (and it also seems to occur when religion is at it weakest i.e. less control over the masses). While procreation may be hard-wired in us as a natural imperative to further the species it would also make sense that something would be present to insure that said species would not grow to the extent that the environment would no longer be able to sustain it, if you look at animal species they rarely overpopulate naturally, it is only when other factors (new environs, humans, unnatural changes in the food chain/weather) are brought in that causes their overpopulation. As it is humanity is the one species that has been advanced enough to ignore a lot of these natural instincts and the Earth is paying the price, in the future homosexuality could be the thing that keeps us from destroying the planet cause humans sure as hell won't ever allow any man made laws decide how many kids they can have.

Also the view of procreation being a valid argument against homosexuality doesn't hold up against evolution and nature, humanity could never die out just from homosexuality, even if the entire human race was gay we wouldn't give up, even ignoring science and what can be done medically to conceive a child you don't have to like having sex with the opposite sex to procreate, men and women have probably been having sex with the opposite sex even when it repulses them since we lived in caves.

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This thread cracks me up :P

Has anyone ever thought that maybe just maybe homosexuality is a naturally occurring phenomena brought on by overpopulation? The increasing amount of homosexuals through the years has never been a proportional increase but it does seem to inflate naturally when society/humanity reaches a point of overpopulation and excess (greed/wealth/power) (and it also seems to occur when religion is at it weakest i.e. less control over the masses). While procreation may be hard-wired in us as a natural imperative to further the species it would also make sense that something would be present to insure that said species would not grow to the extent that the environment would no longer be able to sustain it, if you look at animal species they rarely overpopulate naturally, it is only when other factors (new environs, humans, unnatural changes in the food chain/weather) are brought in that causes their overpopulation. As it is humanity is the one species that has been advanced enough to ignore a lot of these natural instincts and the Earth is paying the price, in the future homosexuality could be the thing that keeps us from destroying the planet cause humans sure as hell won't ever allow any man made laws decide how many kids they can have.

Also the view of procreation being a valid argument against homosexuality doesn't hold up against evolution and nature, humanity could never die out just from homosexuality, even if the entire human race was gay we wouldn't give up, even ignoring science and what can be done medically to conceive a child you don't have to like having sex with the opposite sex to procreate, men and women have probably been having sex with the opposite sex even when it repulses them since we lived in caves.

Interesting theory. Historical evidence with the Greeks and the Romans adds credence to your hypothesis. I like where you're going with this.

pikahyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#237 pikahyper  Moderator

@jaken7: Greeks and Romans especially. Nature tends to find a way, in the end, to keep things under control one way or the other, the same argument can be made for some of humanities largest illnesses and even natural disasters that keep humanity and all living organisms in check. Religious people would see this as god's influence but from the non-religious viewpoint everything on this planet is part of one large symbiotic system, everything is connected one way or another and while people tend to ignore it overpopulation is a huge problem for future sustainability.

BumpyBoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 20

No, I can't really think of a single valid reason to tell other people what to do with their own heart/private parts, it's their business. Also, @pikahyper, I've often wondered that myself, good point :)

pikahyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#239  Edited By pikahyper  Moderator
Mr_Clockwork91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#240  Edited By Mr_Clockwork91

@bumpyboo said:

No, I can't really think of a single valid reason to tell other people what to do with their own heart/private parts, it's their business. Also, @pikahyper, I've often wondered that myself, good point :)

This, also I can't understand people say we need to reproduce when we are over populated. Man there are plenty of kids that need adoption.

BumpyBoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mr_clockwork91: Agreed. I can understand why people want a child that is "theirs" to a certain extent but having been raised by a parent who is not biologically related to me...I can't see what it has to do with anything. I get that people have that biological urge to reproduce, to varying degrees, but it seems like so much genetic vanity to me :/ Would much rather give a home to a child who already needs one, as it does seem the more responsible decision to make. To each their own though :)

Mr_Clockwork91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#242  Edited By Mr_Clockwork91

@bumpyboo: If a child from another planet can be raised in the middle of nowhere America by a loving couple to be one of the greatest superheros of all time, then I don't think genetics really has anything to do at all.

pikahyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#243 pikahyper  Moderator

@bumpyboo: luckily that genetic vanity aspect of continuing the bloodline is almost exclusively a male trait and it is in a steady decline.

BumpyBoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#244  Edited By BumpyBoo

@pikahyper: Yeah it seems to be a bit of an outdated concept, a throwback to a time when men would insist on having a healthy male to pass down traditions and family wealth to? It's nice to see that however gradually, people have come away from that kind of thinking :)

@mr_clockwork91: Ah, so true, that is a great point and to be honest, my favourite thing about Supes in terms of relatability. Really does drive home the point that parenting is about so much more than that :)

pikahyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#245 pikahyper  Moderator

@bumpyboo: yep, but it is like a lot of things with modern generations (good and bad) and I believe it is a by-product of societies self inflated sense of entitlement, it is more about the self now, so many concepts are ignored or forgotten about: politics, religion, familial legacy, accountability, education, acceptance of others, consequences, community, hard work, responsibility, etc. there will always be individuals that still believe in these older concepts but as time goes on they will continue to decline.

Jonez_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Now look at the first and latest pages.

Moderators make things so boring...

MonsterStomp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@racob7 said:

@deerock313: They're only gross if you don't clean them properly, and even if you don't it's still probably cleaner than your mouth. That's why I don't kiss. XD

Its probably cleaner than your mouth because everyone brushes their mouth with poo poo. Saw it on Mythbusters bro.

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#248  Edited By JakeN7

@jonez120: Right? EVERYBODY GO NUTS AGAIN!

You're all homophobic swamp trash (I will make that a thing)!

Nah, but Pika is bringing up awesome points. It's not his fault he's being rational about it.

MonsterStomp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What if there are valid arguments, but we just tend to ignore them?

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@monsterstomp: Well, that's what the thread is about. Enlighten us.