Follow

X-Men

Team » X-Men appears in 13420 issues.

The X-Men are a superhero team of mutants founded by Professor Charles Xavier. They are dedicated to helping fellow mutants and sworn to protect a world that fears and hates them.

Add 3 more ladies to Guggenheim's X-men

• 74 results
    HAWK2916

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By HAWK2916

The constant hero infighting is getting old. I also thik its pretty obvious that Marvel would like to elevate something else to the place xmen currently hold. All I'm saying is that the idea of the xmen being in a separate universe I not as distasteful as some think. I also think having less xmen and less books while focusing on quality and maybe printing a smaller number of books more often ( as opposed to just monthly) would do well. But thats my opinion

DarkDay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#52  Edited By DarkDay
    @oldnightcrawler said:

@darkday said:

@oldnightcrawler said:

That said, nothing I liked about Jubilee had anything to do with her original powers, which were kind of boring (and frankly far less interesting than any X-man before her).

At least being a vampire gives her something none of the other X-men have; honestly I don't even see why people have a problem with it.

Kinda agree with all of this honestly, though I feel like it would be interesting if she just gets a new powerset. We could sort of pull a Betsy without the body switch. I'd stick with the concept of her and explosions but make the way those explosions happen more interesting and versatile. Maybe she creates unstable exotic matter or something and she can use it as projectiles, maybe even build with it a'la Iceman, but eventually no matter what it just goes boom. I don't know honestly, but I feel like with new mutants popping up, at some point former mutants should probably start getting their powers back or maybe new powers.

yeah, but even just being a mutant vampire gives her the potential for lots of different power-sets, including many that are rarely used in popular vampire fiction, and just about any combination of which would be more interesting than her original mutant powers.

I can see where you're coming from, I just as a whole don't find the vampire thing to be that interesting all in all. Which is weird seeing as I created a mutant RP character that was essentially a vampire. Basically his mutation was closer to something like Darwin's naturally, but he was born with a rare blood disease that would have killed him if not for his mutant power activating at puberty and thus adapting him to survive. And while rambling I think I realize why it doesn't appeal to me, and it more about the fact that I feel like vampirism hasn't really been explored well within her current character arcs. Oh they did sort of a fast forward of the usual, "I have to try not to be evil" "The sun might be a problem for me" You know the vampire classics, but they never really tackle whom Jubilee is and how vampirism has effected her in a personal way. In fact I realize that I like vampire Jubes less than I like powerless Jubes. When she was powerless they had Nation X#2 and that was one of my favorite Jubilee stories not from the 90s and she was interesting and compelling, and just sitting on a bench. Jubes on a bench lamenting her lost powers and wondering if she has a place with the X-Men is better than vampire Jubilee to me. And that makes me realize that maybe it is less the vampire thing and more the way that the vampire thing has been handled that makes me not a fan.

Edit: Also, sorry for thread derailment.

Avatar image for oldnightcrawler
    oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

@darkday said:

I can see where you're coming from, I just as a whole don't find the vampire thing to be that interesting all in all. Which is weird seeing as I created a mutant RP character that was essentially a vampire. Basically his mutation was closer to something like Darwin's naturally, but he was born with a rare blood disease that would have killed him if not for his mutant power activating at puberty and thus adapting him to survive. And while rambling I think I realize why it doesn't appeal to me, and it more about the fact that I feel like vampirism hasn't really been explored well within her current character arcs. Oh they did sort of a fast forward of the usual, "I have to try not to be evil" "The sun might be a problem for me" You know the vampire classics, but they never really tackle whom Jubilee is and how vampirism has effected her in a personal way. In fact I realize that I like vampire Jubes less than I like powerless Jubes. When she was powerless they had Nation X#2 and that was one of my favorite Jubilee stories not from the 90s and she was interesting and compelling, and just sitting on a bench. Jubes on a bench lamenting her lost powers and wondering if she has a place with the X-Men is better than vampire Jubilee to me. And that makes me realize that maybe it is less the vampire thing and more the way that the vampire thing has been handled that makes me not a fan.

yeah, I guess I see what you mean.

I guess I don't really see her being a vampire as being that much different than having some inconvenient mutant power, since there are lots of characters with similar powers anyway (Sauron, Selene, Emplate, etc), and lots of characters who have struggled not to have their humanity consumed by their powers (Beast, Jean Grey, Wolverine, Wolfsbane, Rogue, etc) or otherwise consider their powers a curse.

When Jubilee joined that secret school of vampires to learn how to use her powers without being evil (an obvious analogy to the X-men themselves, minus the PR mission of being a superhero), I was actually sort of glad because it meant that her learning to use her powers wouldn't have to be a hugely central aspect to her story going forward, that it needn't be that different from the experience of many mutants, but still somehow distinct among mutants. From that perspective, it just seemed like another way for her to have super powers, which i was happy for simply because it gave her the ability to be a more relevant member of the team.

HAWK2916

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

That Jubilee was turned into a vampire around the time all the Twilight's and all came out was an obvious gimmick. I think that is what irritates people. There should be no need to jump on the bandwagon. The Xmen comics should set the trend not follow it

Lightblaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

jhazzroucher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#56  Edited By jhazzroucher

Rogue, Hollow and X-23

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

Night Thrasher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

papad1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ok so I have a few variants...

Either:

Husk, Dani Moonstar, and Pixie

or

Sage, Wolfsbane, and Dust

or

Mercury, Dazzler, and Stacy X (bring her back... she's the "edge" the team really needs)

Flavalon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By Flavalon

@vance_astro said:

There's actually way more villains than X-Men or Avengers

Really? Then where the hell are they? Can you tell me since you're so quite sure about it. If so, then, where is Mr Sinister, Apocalypse, Hellions, COTV, MLF, Exodus, Hellfire Club, Acolytes (finally Magneto is recreating them once again), Dark Riders, Nasty Boys, Savage Land Mutates, Brotherhood of Evil, Ani-Men, Marauders (finally they seem to come back under Magneto's followers), SublimeCorp, Reavers well, you mention it. I believe they're either dead, depowered, or forgotten.

and I don't think these characters are "fighting each other"

Really? This is what it look like. X Men = Villains vs Avengers = Heroes. Oh I believe they were fighting each other.

because the villains aren't good enough

Well, I thought most of those I mentioned above me are pretty much good combatant.

there isn't enough of them because if you haven't been paying attention

Exactly my point here. There isn't enough Villains. Have you? Have you been paying attention?

the villains have been doing a very good job of what they've been created for.

You mean like Emma, Magneto, Frenzy, etc? Of course and not much of them are doing good.

I guess we're only settling for heroes fighting heroes because that's the cycle that Marvel's events work on.

No. It's because there isn't enough villains at all and Marvel killed most of them and wiped them out of the panel.

The X-men is Marvel's biggest property aside from Spider-Man & The Avengers. I don't know how they are being treated poorly or under-promoted.

They have been treated poorly lately and this is right in front of our eyes.

I JUST don't seem to see enough villains lately. I really would like to see more villains vs heroes because this is what Marvel is all about. If there's no villains, then there's no heroes. And since there isn't no villains (or enough), so they have to introduce heroes vs heroes and only one team have to look more villain, which I thought it was the X Men. Shame Marvel shame.

Flavalon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh and BTW (which I almost forgot to mention), Marvel is taking out the villains and use heroes vs heroes only because they know villains are more interesting then heroes. So they just wanted us to focused on the heroes characterization imo.

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#61 vance_astro  Moderator

@flavalon said:

@vance_astro said:

There's actually way more villains than X-Men or Avengers

Really? Then where the hell are they? Can you tell me since you're so quite sure about it. If so, then, where is Mr Sinister, Apocalypse, Hellions, COTV, MLF, Exodus, Hellfire Club, Acolytes (finally Magneto is recreating them once again), Dark Riders, Nasty Boys, Savage Land Mutates, Brotherhood of Evil, Ani-Men, Marauders (finally they seem to come back under Magneto's followers), SublimeCorp, Reavers well, you mention it. I believe they're either dead, depowered, or forgotten.

I was more thinking about Avengers villains and villains of individual characters when I said this but there is no shortage of villains for the X-Men or anyone else in the Marvel Universe. It would take too long to break down where all of these characters are but if you look their bios up you will see that many of them have had fairly recent appearances or revamps. Apocalypse for instance just had a story arc in Uncanny Avengers which is a Marvel NOW title.

@flavalon said:

and I don't think these characters are "fighting each other"

Really? This is what it look like. X Men = Villains vs Avengers = Heroes. Oh I believe they were fighting each other.

because the villains aren't good enough

Well, I thought most of those I mentioned above me are pretty much good combatant.

You took this part out of context, I was saying that I don't think the Avengers & X-Men are fighting each other because their villains aren't good enough to be more of their focus. Several of Marvel's events have been centered around a powerful villain or group of villains. Civil War, Initiative, House of M, & Avengers vs. X-Men so far have been the only exceptions. That leaves Secret Invasion, Dark Reign, Siege, Fear Itself, Age of Ultron, Infinity, Annihilation, and now Original Sin.

@flavalon said:

Exactly my point here. There isn't enough Villains. Have you? Have you been paying attention?

the villains have been doing a very good job of what they've been created for.

You mean like Emma, Magneto, Frenzy, etc? Of course and not much of them are doing good

Yes, I have been paying attention to everything NOT just X-Men. The entire Marvel Universe has been getting torn apart by villains for the last decade. Whole teams have been not just disassembled but destroyed. For there to be new Alpha Flight issues, Marvel had to figure out how to bring over half that team back from the dead. Several members of the X-Men have died in that time as well as the Avengers. Marvel's villains are doing exactly what they were created for.

@flavalon said:

I guess we're only settling for heroes fighting heroes because that's the cycle that Marvel's events work on.

No. It's because there isn't enough villains at all and Marvel killed most of them and wiped them out of the panel.

Let's pretend for a second this is true. So what you're telling me is out of all the books on the shelf..all superheroes are doing in the Marvel Universe is fighting each other? So the Guardians of the Galaxy, Rocket Raccoon, The X-Men, Spider-Man, Daredevil, Captain America, Captain Marvel, Wolverine, The Thunderbolts, Thor, Iron Man, etc. all they are doing is fighting other heroes? Or are you saying that heroes are only fighting each other in events because they don't have enough villains? Civil War & Avengers vs. X-Men are the only events that are truly centered around heroes fighting each other and they've done an event ever year since '06. That's not even including all of the events specific to certain teams and solo heroes that were centered completely around villains or a non-heroes vs. heroes conflict.

@flavalon said:

The X-men is Marvel's biggest property aside from Spider-Man & The Avengers. I don't know how they are being treated poorly or under-promoted.

They have been treated poorly lately and this is right in front of our eyes.

I JUST don't seem to see enough villains lately. I really would like to see more villains vs heroes because this is what Marvel is all about. If there's no villains, then there's no heroes. And since there isn't no villains (or enough), so they have to introduce heroes vs heroes and only one team have to look more villain, which I thought it was the X Men. Shame Marvel shame.

You didn't explain how Marvel is mistreating the X-Men, you just said the opposite of what I said and then went on talking about how there is a lack of villains.

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#62  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator

@flavalon said:

Oh and BTW (which I almost forgot to mention), Marvel is taking out the villains and use heroes vs heroes only because they know villains are more interesting then heroes. So they just wanted us to focused on the heroes characterization imo.

What?

dean1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

X-23

Domino

Emma

Avatar image for phoenixofthetides
    PhoenixoftheTides

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dazzler, Magma, and Moonstar. But I think I prefer smaller teams.

Veitha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Husk, Moonstar, Domino.

Dman1366

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ok so I have a few variants...

Either:

Husk, Dani Moonstar, and Pixie

or

Sage, Wolfsbane, and Dust

or

Mercury, Dazzler, and Stacy X (bring her back... she's the "edge" the team really needs)

I would be pumped for any of these three.

numi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Rogue, Hollow and X-23

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

hmm, words, words, words... reading.... ahh, pictures! I vote with the pictures!

Avatar image for phoenixofthetides
    PhoenixoftheTides

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hawk2916 said:

That Jubilee was turned into a vampire around the time all the Twilight's and all came out was an obvious gimmick. I think that is what irritates people. There should be no need to jump on the bandwagon. The Xmen comics should set the trend not follow it

I agree. However, the X-Men comics have jumped on bandwagons before using gimmicks to create characters:

• Dazzler - created during the end of the disco era, with powers designed to work alongside a real-life singer that would have the same performing name and etc., which ultimately fell through before the deal was completed.
    • Cable/Shatterstar/Anyone-With-Big-Shoulderpads-Plus-Big-Guns/Swords - created during an era when certain artists in the 90s popularized Big Everything...big hair, big muscles, body armor, and obsessive focuses on Xtreme superheroes with Rambo-like combat abilities.
    • Magik - One of my favorites, but she was created during a time when magic and demonic possession was somewhat of a thing. It had been years since "The Exorcist", but there were a lot of movies about demons and magic at the time. I also think that's why her magical abilities have never really been integrated into the X-Men mythos - they've generally been accepted, but except for occasional spell usage, her magic usage was strict limited to Limbo for the most part. There were also other heroes associated with magic during this time period - Kulan Gath became associated with the X-Men during this time (he was an older Conan character, though), Jennifer Kale, Magali Szardos, and Dr. Druid were active around this time period as well with at least three crossover events prominently focused around magic (the Atlantis Attacks, Inferno, and the one where Manhattan was transformed into an island like one you'd find in Conan).
    • Mirage/Thunderbird/Thunderbird II - This is interesting because there was a fascination with Native Americans at the time, that seems to have completely faded away from our pop culture memory. This was the time period when the commercial with the crying Native American, when celebs would dress up in the ethnic jewelry or clothing as a fashion statement, and etc.
    • Dust - it's not a surprise, given the above, that Marvel writers thought it would be edgy to create a visibly Muslim character during a time period where they were (and still are) marginalized by some parts of the American population.
    • Karma - her background was partially a result of more attention being paid to the aftermath of the Vietnam war. Unfortunately, because this dates the character by tying her to a specific time period, it's hard to reconcile that with her apparent age compared to her teammates and the fact that she hasn't aged since, while some of her teammates are young adults. Current writers don't really focus on her origins.
    • Luke Cage and Misty Knight - created during an era where blacksploitation films were still in vogue; both characters were meant to personify the image of street smart, African Americans from the inner city (moreso for Cage), and cash in on the lingo, style of dress, and inner city problems faced during that time. There was even a story where Storm first met them, and Luke had to explain the street problems he fought against to her (not much of a stretch considering she spent most of her life in Africa).

The question is whether some of these characters were created because of the fads, or if interesting parts of this background legitimately inspired their creation. It's not always so clear.

Avatar image for theamazingimmortalman
    TheAmazingImmortalMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Rogue

Kitty

Dazzler

papad1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hawk2916 said:

I agree. However, the X-Men comics have jumped on bandwagons before using gimmicks to create characters:

• Dazzler - created during the end of the disco era, with powers designed to work alongside a real-life singer that would have the same performing name and etc., which ultimately fell through before the deal was completed.
    • Cable/Shatterstar/Anyone-With-Big-Shoulderpads-Plus-Big-Guns/Swords - created during an era when certain artists in the 90s popularized Big Everything...big hair, big muscles, body armor, and obsessive focuses on Xtreme superheroes with Rambo-like combat abilities.
    • Magik - One of my favorites, but she was created during a time when magic and demonic possession was somewhat of a thing. It had been years since "The Exorcist", but there were a lot of movies about demons and magic at the time. I also think that's why her magical abilities have never really been integrated into the X-Men mythos - they've generally been accepted, but except for occasional spell usage, her magic usage was strict limited to Limbo for the most part. There were also other heroes associated with magic during this time period - Kulan Gath became associated with the X-Men during this time (he was an older Conan character, though), Jennifer Kale, Magali Szardos, and Dr. Druid were active around this time period as well with at least three crossover events prominently focused around magic (the Atlantis Attacks, Inferno, and the one where Manhattan was transformed into an island like one you'd find in Conan).
    • Mirage/Thunderbird/Thunderbird II - This is interesting because there was a fascination with Native Americans at the time, that seems to have completely faded away from our pop culture memory. This was the time period when the commercial with the crying Native American, when celebs would dress up in the ethnic jewelry or clothing as a fashion statement, and etc.
    • Dust - it's not a surprise, given the above, that Marvel writers thought it would be edgy to create a visibly Muslim character during a time period where they were (and still are) marginalized by some parts of the American population.
    • Karma - her background was partially a result of more attention being paid to the aftermath of the Vietnam war. Unfortunately, because this dates the character by tying her to a specific time period, it's hard to reconcile that with her apparent age compared to her teammates and the fact that she hasn't aged since, while some of her teammates are young adults. Current writers don't really focus on her origins.
    • Luke Cage and Misty Knight - created during an era where blacksploitation films were still in vogue; both characters were meant to personify the image of street smart, African Americans from the inner city (moreso for Cage), and cash in on the lingo, style of dress, and inner city problems faced during that time. There was even a story where Storm first met them, and Luke had to explain the street problems he fought against to her (not much of a stretch considering she spent most of her life in Africa).

The question is whether some of these characters were created because of the fads, or if interesting parts of this background legitimately inspired their creation. It's not always so clear.

I like this debrief analysis! Great job! You should do a whole blog centered around characters created in result of popular culture's transition and flow from one bandwagon to the next!

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 64

I like all the other X-Ladies too much to want to put them on the worst x-men title.

Bboyyomama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By Bboyyomama

X-23

Galerion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

John Valentine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Av book.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.