Follow

Superman

Character » Superman appears in 18943 issues.

Sent to Earth as an infant from the dying planet Krypton, Kal-El was adopted by the loving Kent family and raised in America's heartland as Clark Kent. Using his immense solar-fueled powers, he became Superman to defend mankind against all manner of threats while championing truth, justice, and the American way!

Top Ten Villains I would Have Preferred to be in the Man of Steel

• 166 results
    Primmaster64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#101  Edited By Primmaster64

cool

Sinestro2828

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#102  Edited By Sinestro2828

I'd like to see one of Superman's strongest enemies appear in the movies, someone we haven't seen Supe's fight and beat on the big screen before, Lex and Zod have been done already.

I'd like to see...

1) Doomsday (most of all)

2) Darkseid

3) Parasite

4) Brainiac

5) Livewire

6) Mongul

Basically i want to see someone who's powerful enough to fight and possibly kill Superman without being Kryptonian in origin, Lex has been done to death and Zod's already been seen once already, and he basically just does all the same things Superman can do.

NorthLondonFC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#103  Edited By NorthLondonFC

Tyrell would have better than Zod.

the_tree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 14

#104  Edited By the_tree

Brainiac would've been my first choice for Man of Steel. I would've loved that, with a hint of Lex Luthor in the background.

saintutd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105  Edited By saintutd

Darkseid!! That would be cool! Superman trying to stop the invasion first as darkseid sends his minions out, then the showdown with kilibak and granny and her army the the big one Darkseid himself!! Whhhooohaa!

Adnan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106  Edited By Adnan

Zod isn't that bad of a pick imo. Who I really wanted to be the main villain is Metallo though, preferably in a Human Defense Corps style team. Perhaps with a few Brainiac or Darkseid (not both) elements in the background to set up for a third movie/Justice League movie?

Joygirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 43

#107  Edited By Joygirl

Bizarro would be awesome... Darksied, Doomsday, Lobo, Etrigan, Braniac. Someone Superman can actually FIGHT. And someone interesting, PLEASE... no more Lex, no more Zod... someone new. I was so disappointed when they announced Zod as the main villain.

Mutant God

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108  Edited By Mutant God

considering today were very dependable on technology I say Braniac could be very dangerous and have a moral to the story
    Adnan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109  Edited By Adnan

@Joygirl: Perhaps it's just on CV, but from what I can gather, Bizarro has just as many haters as he does fans...a full live-action will undoubtedly have a more serious tone to it, which I think would be tricky (but not impossible) to do with the whole Bizarro-world stuff.

I could see Lobo ending up being a hit though, if they amp up the age rating.

Joygirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 43

#110  Edited By Joygirl

The Superman: TAS/JLU Bizarro, under Paul Dini's expert pen, was truly brilliant. The confused hero, trying to do good but literally unable due to his backwardsness, I really loved... if I similar concept was used, and ramped up to be a little bit more mature, like you said, it could make for an incredible movie. But nope. Zod.

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#111  Edited By entropy_aegis

Snyder made the correct decision,Darkseid should NEVER EVAR be in a Superman related project.Zod is cool and i hope we'll see Lex later,Parasite is cool too.I would'nt mind seeing Mongul or Brainiac but if truth be told they might be dangerous villians but not really interesting as characters.Bizarro and Doomsday can go screw themselves.

My favourite would be Cyborg Superman but i doubt they'll ever use him.

sladewilson30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

#112  Edited By sladewilson30

Mr. Mxyzptlk would be enough all by himself

COMICFAN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113  Edited By COMICFAN

Definitely think it's way past time Brainiac was in a Superman movie. Even though they say multiple supervillains can kill any superhero movie I'd love to see a collaboration between Metallo and Silver Banshee, possibly going up against Superman and Supergirl. With his heart and her lack of soul, they could make beautiful music together.

FOOFAN007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114  Edited By FOOFAN007

I think Brainiac would have been the best choice especially if they are rebooting the Superman franchise. You can tie him back to Krypton and everything so even casual fans would keep up and enjoy.

r3d_rob1n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115  Edited By r3d_rob1n

I wouldn't mind seeing a trilogy of Superman movies that deals with Lex financing various villains to try to kill Superman. I like when Lex is a constant presence annoying Superman without leaving any evidence to be caught. It shows his intellect much better than real estate schemes.

My perfect Superman movies would have him powered down a little (so that hes not taking bullets in the eye without blinking). Lex would hire Corben to steal a new prototype Lexcorp weapon, and during the heist have Corben be seriously injured requiring him to become Metallo. In the sequel Bizarro could be introduced as a result of Lex's experiments. At the end of this movie I would love to see Conner Kent be introduced and sent to the farm in Smallville. All of this would lead to the final film in the trilogy which would have Brainiac come to Earth, kill Jonathan Kent, and could introduce Supergirl at some point.

Of course sidekicks tend to suck in movies, so the Supergirl and Superboy characters would just be cameos.

Avatar image for termiteone4ever
    termiteone4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116  Edited By termiteone4ever

Doomsday is must

Masscre that strong freak

Mongul is a must

Zod and his crew plus Jax-Ur cyborg and all the krypton make up like him

darkseid isnt a superman enemy he should be way above supes

Eradicator

Braniac

Ultra man

Bizzaro

Parasite

General eling

Starro is a must

Doomslayer

Superboy Prime is a Must

Atlas / herc / Thor all the Gods

i am way pass ten lol :)

jrock85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#117  Edited By jrock85

Out of those ten, I'd go with Metallo.

Habast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#118  Edited By Habast

I'm with you, I'd like to see something new for a change. I think Darkseid should be the villain. He's definitely the coolest Superman villain and hasn't gotten his big screen debut yet. Ah well, maybe next time around. At least Zod is much better than another Lex movie.

HolySerpent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#119  Edited By HolySerpent

Zod and metallo.

jeanroygrant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120  Edited By jeanroygrant

@Caligula said:

other than Brainiac... no one. Zod was my second choice, with Parasite being my third.Zod is a good villain. plus i bet we get "the line".
    Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#121  Edited By Gambit1024

Zod is a good choice. If it weren't him, I'd've wanted Brainiac, Darkseid, or Luthor (battlesuit)

sethysquare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122  Edited By sethysquare

Im thinking Atomic Skull.

Avatar image for captaincockblock
    CaptainCockblock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

User Lists: 5

Brainiac and Darkseid are characters I'd like to see in the sequel. They deserve a little build up. Metallo, hopefully, will be featured in the next movie, sort of like how Two-Face was put alongside the Joker in the Dark Knight. Doomsday was already done pretty well in Superman: Doomsday, and I don't think the big screen treatment would offer him that much more. I prefer a battle of wits mixed in with the action instead of a straight up brawl for two hours.

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124  Edited By Superguy1591

@Green Skin: He's fighting Zod? The military mastermind with the same powers as the Man of Steel isn't a challenge for the big guy?

BiteMe-Fanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#125  Edited By BiteMe-Fanboy

Bizarro. With almost every Superman movie having Lex Luthor as the villain, I think this movie should have introduced Bizarro. But then again, isn't this movie a reboot? So that wouldn't work out.

sinestro_GL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#126  Edited By sinestro_GL

I think Zod is the ideal choice. Possibly we can have Luthor as a businessman throughout the film - not a major role, but let his presence be acknowledge (for a future purpose) and then end the film with Brainiac targeting Earth (and leave that for the sequel).

Avatar image for deactivated-60ae841330527
    deactivated-60ae841330527

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@The Hobgoblin said:

With Zod having been revealed as the villain in the new Superman movie, I kinda of yawned and ask why retread the same old ground again and again. Don't get me wrong, I have high hopes for the actor portraying Zod, he was great in Boardwalk Empire. But here're some villains I would've rather seen make it:

1. Brainiac

2. Darkseid

3. Parasite

4. Bizarro
    5. Toyman

6. Mr.Myxlplyx

7. Mongul

8. Doomsday

9. Metallo

10. Battle suit/Evil businessman Lex Luthor

How about you fellow Comic Viners? Who would you have rather seen make the cut?

• Toyman and Myxlplyx are too wacky of characters to introduce in a reboot or generally in a movie with a serious tone: they my fit into a Joel Schumacher directed Superman (yes batman movie joke).
    • We have had plenty of Lex already, and battle Suit Lex equals "Superman vs. evil Ironman" we have had enough for now.
    • I would consider Parasite as sub villain only.
    • I would have Metallo as a sub villain under Brianiac or as a secondary foe deployed against Superman by the army, but not the main course. But Brianiac might be better for a sequel (after Zod is defeated).
    • Darksied might be better as a high level opponent that Superman faces at the end of the series.
    • Bizarro could be a secondary foe but he is not really main movie villain material in his Comic book version form (unless they use Smallville version).
    • Mongul, maybe.
    • Doomsday is something I would want during a sequel, out of respect for Doomsday.

I'd through in Cyborg Superman or Eradicator as a possible sequel contender.

ChadwickDavis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128  Edited By ChadwickDavis

Actually out of your selections I personally think Zod would be the best choice. Dont Get me wrong, I liked your selections (a lot), but in my opinion, they wouldn't be as effective for these reasons.

1. Brainiac: If someone could find a way to avoid it becoming a amalgam of Terminator2 and Eagle Eye, then I wouldn't have a problem with him/it.

2. Darkseid: Too difficult to pull off effectively for a "first" movie. The plot will most likely revolve around saving the planet Earth. Darkseid wants to control the universe. and he has his own planet of soldiers and weapons to draw from. Darkseid is too much...for now.

3. Parasite: If man of Steel takes a horror movie approach he would be wonderful as a leading character, if not... im 50/50 on his lead role capabilities

4. Bizarro: meh...

5. Toyman: Now he would be interesting as a secondary villain, I just don't believe he is lead villian material for the big screen

6. Mr.Myxlplyx: Johnny Depp would be perfect for that role...but then Man of Steel becomes willy wonka and the chocolate factory with superpowers.

7. Mongul: Same problem with Darkseid, just a lot less weapons, credibility, and screen presence.

8. Doomsday: WAY TOO SOON.

9. Metallo: He would be very interesting... though with him I can think of at least 10 ways they could drop the ball at the end of the movie.

10. Battle suit/Evil businessman Lex Luthor: Lex Luthor... in a Superman movie...and you're talking about retreading the same old ground again?

Sinestro2828

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129  Edited By Sinestro2828

I agree with your entire list of possible Superman baddies, anyone of them would be preferable over ANOTHER Supes vs Luthor movie. The only character I'd add is Livewire from the Bruce Timm animated series, she'd be fun and badass to see in the movies :D

Chronus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130  Edited By Chronus

Brainiac. His character seems more fitting of an antagonist for the the first film in the reboot.

SandMan_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131  Edited By SandMan_

Hopefully if there is a sequel, Brainiac should be the villain.

Nightwing4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132  Edited By Nightwing4

To the people who are pulling for brainiac, metello, and parasite are somewhat missing the point of what Nolan has done with his films: make the villain become the physical embodiment of a struggle the hero has. Begins had Bruce conquering his own fears and using fear as a weapon (Scarecrow) TDK had Bruce sacrificing with Dent and Gordon to keep order in pure chaos (Joker) Rises had Bruce learning all over again the importance of fear and how it can drive us to accomplish inhuman things (Bane) Zod represents Clark's internal struggle with power: To become a dictator, or a steward?

The_Thunderer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#133  Edited By The_Thunderer

Zod is well known, so need him for 1st, then hopefully Darkseid for sequel

Stuka69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#134  Edited By Stuka69
    This. Lex from Azzarello´s Man of Steel.
    This. Lex from Azzarello´s Man of Steel.
    Eternal19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135  Edited By Eternal19

Zod is the perfect choice for the villian. they need to establish his kypronian heritage in the first one and fight an equal power villian to rival his own. superman is supposed to be sci-fi and bringing in cool sci-fi villians will aid in that.

The Finality

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136  Edited By The Finality

Braniac and Metallo for Man of Steel the sequel if that happens. Go with the enforcer/main villain route that Batman Begins had with The Scarecrow and Ra's Al Ghul. John Corben could be a military man that Supes admires because he can save people and battle evil without super powers. And then Superman fails to save him from a near fatal explosion. His brain is still funcioning however, and they attempt to put his brain in a robotic body to allow him to continue to use his skills for the military. The experiment proves to be a failure however, and Corben appears deceased. At this time, Brainiac arrives on the planet, through events established from teasers in the previous film, and wishes to absorb the knowledge of Earth. He seeks out Corben's new robotic form, needing an agent to act for him directly, and uses his advanced technology to create Metallo and put him under his thrall (similar to the Action Comics Collector of Worlds New 52 storyline). He uses Kryptonite, something he aquired on his voyage to Earth, and uses it as a power source for Metallo. Brainiac decides to black out the city as he steals knowledge from Earth, similar to Smallville. Superman manages to defeat the villains with the help of the Daily Planet characters and the army. Toward the end, an agent of Lexcorp discovers an arsenal of different powered Kryptonites in Braniac's ship amd reports to Lex Luthor to come in for the third movie. Hell, Luthor could bring back Metallo in the third movie, equipping him with different Kryptonites, giving him different powers, similar to what he did in the Last Son story by Geoff Johns and Richard Donner. There you go.

JamesKM716

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#137  Edited By JamesKM716

1. Brainiac

2. Metallo.. maybe?

3. Darkseid

Bruxae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#138  Edited By Bruxae

I was hoping for not yet another humanlike enemy, rather something more monster-like:

Doomsday, Parasite, Brainiac or possibly even Darkseid!

Avatar image for deactivated-5c1d15b8899b0
    deactivated-5c1d15b8899b0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My top ten (some are out of order)

1) Lex Luthor (with a battlesuit),

2) Brainiac

3) Preus

4) Metallo and Parasite:One of the most deadly team up for Supes

5) Ruin: Emil Hamilton could be a good villain,not only a strategist,but also a scientific genius which has a impressive knowledge about Kryptonians

6) Codename Assassin and Conduit: It would be awesome,put theses character as government agents or mercenaries to hunt Superman

7) Mongul I

8) General Lane

9) Bizarro

10) Toyman

Avatar image for g_money_christmas
    G_Money_Christmas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was thinking about this last night. I think one of the reasons they chose Zod as the main villain is not for the Superman fans... it's for those who see it but know nothing about Superman. If you take Bizarro, or Brainiac, or Mongul, I don't think it would ring as well with the audience because it seems a little hokey. Also, it might help a little with Superman's back-story, having another Kryptonian. Also, I think Lex wasn't used because he is a human and is a little overused. Having a human challenge Superman is different than seeing him fight someone whose powers rival his own. As much as I would love to see some of his other rogues gallery, I think they made the right choice. I think using Zod will get the best response from the non-Superman fans.

I'm sure someone posted something similar, but I'm not sifting through 140 posts.

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

#141  Edited By TDK_1997

Zod is a good villain for a first Superman movie and I think that he would fit pretty well as a villain.

The Hobgoblin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 3

#142  Edited By The Hobgoblin

@ChadwickDavis said:

10. Battle suit/Evil businessman Lex Luthor: Lex Luthor... in a Superman movie...and you're talking about retreading the same old groound?

We have seen wacky or mad scientist Lex Luthor. We've never seen him with the power and influence his businessman personae brings, such as in Superman: The Animted Series. He could ave a hand in creating one of the villains I mentioned, such as Metallo or Parasite. Nor have we ever seen Lex able go toe to toe with the Man of Steel. I think these are all notable changes that would qualify Lex Luthor for another chance at the big screen, while keeping it interesting and at least a tad familier for audience members, at least as far as familier characters go (somene speculated they used Zod so audience members would recognize the villain).

Bruxae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#143  Edited By Bruxae

Darkseid, Parasite, Brainiac or Doomsday.. Anything would do really except for them human looking villains, they are dull are been done every single time.

Avatar image for smart_dork_dude
    Smart_Dork_Dude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#144  Edited By Smart_Dork_Dude

Brainiac for me with Bizarro for a sequel.

SmashBrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#145  Edited By SmashBrawler

@Bruxae said:

Darkseid, Parasite, Brainiac or Doomsday.. Anything would do really except for them human looking villains, they are dull are been done every single time.

With that said, there's been plenty of rumors that Zod may be more alien-looking. It all comes from Man of Steel's toyline (were Zod is bald, pale and has elfish ears) and the fact that Michael Shannon hasn't been seen wearing the Zod costume much.

GodDamnIronMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#146  Edited By GodDamnIronMan

Zod is fine for the 1st, Brainiaic for sequel then Darkseid for third installment. That's the best way to end the Trilogy. I expect Darkseid to pull out some Amagadon situation.

Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#147  Edited By Gambit1024

Zod is fine for a first movie. I'd have preferred Brainiac and Metallo for the movie, but Zod is fine. Lex better appear somewhere in this series though.

blackadamFTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#148  Edited By blackadamFTW

@The Hobgoblin said:

With Zod having been revealed as the villain in the new Superman movie, I kinda of yawned and ask why retread the same old ground again and again. Don't get me wrong, I have high hopes for the actor portraying Zod, he was great in Boardwalk Empire. But here're some villains I would've rather seen make it:

1. Brainiac

2. Darkseid

3. Parasite

4. Bizarro
    5. Toyman

6. Mr.Myxlplyx

7. Mongul

8. Doomsday

9. Metallo

10. Battle suit/Evil businessman Lex Luthor

How about you fellow Comic Viners? Who would you have rather seen make the cut?

Brainiac would be good, Darkseid wouldn't (he'd be more suited as a Justice League movie villain), Parasite just isn't big enough and I don't see him fitting as the main movie villain, Toyman would be just horrible, and so would Mxy, Mongul could actually be made to be a good villain, Doomsday should be the last villain, and Metallo should be in the second one as someone hired by Lex Luthor (because y'know Lex is going to be in one), and Lex should be in the second one.

I think the only person who would have been a better choice than Zod would possibly be Brainiac, but even that's pretty debatable.

sunhawk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#149  Edited By sunhawk

Superman vs Conservative media!

Foxnews and Rush limbaugh attack superman on tv and radio for being socialist and a tool of big government intervention and trampling of people's rights. Superman looses it and kills everyone on Fox news and Rush with his heat vision.

MisterKetch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#150  Edited By MisterKetch

@The Hobgoblin said:

@Primmaster64: The only thing I would keep from Superman Returns would be Kevin Spacy as Lex. He stole the show there, for me. It'd be cool to have him back in my opinion.

He was definitely the best part of that movie.

Parasite would be good working with Luthor, metallo would be great but I think the movie is superman's early days and metallo would be better down the line (if this get sequeled that is)

Still not excited for this... even the magic of low expectation probably isnt going to help me when it comes out.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.