Follow

Superman

Character » Superman appears in 18939 issues.

Sent to Earth as an infant from the dying planet Krypton, Kal-El was adopted by the loving Kent family and raised in America's heartland as Clark Kent. Using his immense solar-fueled powers, he became Superman to defend mankind against all manner of threats while championing truth, justice, and the American way!

Top Ten Villains I would Have Preferred to be in the Man of Steel

• 166 results
    Icon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#51  Edited By Icon

The only ones I'm all that interested in seeing are Brainiac, Darkseid and/or Doomsday. 

Avatar image for buttersdaman000
    buttersdaman000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#52  Edited By buttersdaman000

Zod is a decent, while predictable, opening villain. I just hope Brainiac is next (Hopefully based off the Brainiac arc in Action Comics)

primeoptimus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53  Edited By primeoptimus

Should've gone with Doomsday for 2012!  Maybe he can be in part 2?

The Hobgoblin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 3

#54  Edited By The Hobgoblin
    @primeoptimus:
    Even though Doomsday wasn't my first choice, even I have to admit how cool and bad-ass that was. It was very well done.
    KenTheProfile

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#55  Edited By KenTheProfile

Bizzaro would have been the most fun. massive battle puncing each other trough buildings and the like.

nightwing91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#56  Edited By nightwing91

Honestly, I would have preferred Cyborg Superman, and Brainiac as the villians. I just think it would work better.

brc2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#57  Edited By brc2000

Come on... seriously people, you want to start off your new franchise with Superman clones and/or a near mindless hulk? Audiences will really buy into that. I hope none of you have a future in script writing.

How is Cyborg-Superman going to work when they first have to establish Superman as making a name for himself before anyone would even want to copy the image? Ditto with Bizarro... Superman first has to establish himself before Lex or anyone would even think about cloning him. Doomsday is just the wrong way to go for a first major villain. Characters like those are best saved for sequels (though you can probably be fairly certain that Bizarro won't be happening).

Primmaster64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#58  Edited By Primmaster64

No Lex.

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#59  Edited By entropy_aegis
    @nightwing91 said:
    "Honestly, I would have preferred Cyborg Superman, and Brainiac as the villians. I just think it would work better. "

Cyborg seems so distant that i personally feel old just thinking about him,even though he is one of my favourite characters.
    @Primmaster64 said:

"No Lex. "

Angry face.
    ssejllenrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By ssejllenrad
    @The Hobgoblin said:
    "

I personally found almost every Brainiac appearance on S:TAS and JL/JLU to be a joy to watch. "

True. Perhaps the only non-entertaining Brainiac in animation is with the animated movie with him. And that was not even DCAU canon.
    brc2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By brc2000
    @Primmaster64 said:
    " No Lex. "
    Mo Lex
    The Hobgoblin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By The Hobgoblin
    @ssejllenrad:
    And that horrible movie didn't even bother to get Clancy Brown as Lex or Corey Burton to be Brainiac again. I sincerely hope they go with Burton again for Brainiac's voice in a future Superman movie.
    batmanary

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By batmanary
    @Pokeysteve said:

" @batmanary: I don't think he is. Him defeating Superman at anything is ridiculous in my head. He should be kept a secondary villain. I did however love his role in 52. The "Everyman" plot was brilliantly evil. I don't think it's fair to compare him with the Joker either. The Joker is a joy to watch. He's funny and crazy and random. Even Ledger's Joker which I didn't really care for was entertaining. Luthor doesn't have that. They haven't done a very good job bringing Lex to live action either. Hackman's was silly, Shea's was pretty good, Rosenbaum's was probably the best and Spacy's........lets not go there lol. I like your idea about making Zod "a thinker". I laugh because I picture him on the toilet in the classic thinker position but it really is a good idea. Make him a mastermind. 

@Caligula: 

Zod can throwdown but people fighting people is in tons of movies. People fighting 8 or 9 foot evil aliens though.....not so much. 

Come on WB!!
     Come on WB!!

"
    Exactly. Plus Superman's origin hasn't been truly explored, having Zod as that last link makes sense. I personally want Zod to be the mastermind of the Doomsday Project, which would progress over the movie series, eventually teaming up with Lex in the end, murdering him, and then unleashing the monster after dying in a fight with Superman, leading to an epic confrontation leaving both creatures dead. I would like a movie to explore the end of Superman rather than the beginning, and I think three movies is enough to do this.
    Primmaster64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By Primmaster64

hmmm

ssejllenrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By ssejllenrad
    @batmanary said:
    "Exactly. Plus Superman's origin hasn't been truly explored, having Zod as that last link makes sense. I personally want Zod to be the mastermind of the Doomsday Project, which would progress over the movie series, eventually teaming up with Lex in the end, murdering him, and then unleashing the monster after dying in a fight with Superman, leading to an epic confrontation leaving both creatures dead. I would like a movie to explore the end of Superman rather than the beginning, and I think three movies is enough to do this. "
    Man I wish you wrote the script to the movies!
    Pokeysteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#66  Edited By Pokeysteve
    @batmanary said: 
    Exactly. Plus Superman's origin hasn't been truly explored, having Zod as that last link makes sense. I personally want Zod to be the mastermind of the Doomsday Project, which would progress over the movie series, eventually teaming up with Lex in the end, murdering him, and then unleashing the monster after dying in a fight with Superman, leading to an epic confrontation leaving both creatures dead. I would like a movie to explore the end of Superman rather than the beginning, and I think three movies is enough to do this. "
    I love the idea of having Zod behind Doomsday. That would be difficult to pull off. Doomsday took decades to create. If they could make it work that'd be cool. If they did Lex as I imagine him in my head he would never team with Zod. To tweak your story a bit, I think they should have a team up and then Lex kills Zod. That would get rid of Zod and make Lex a more credible threat. I definitely don't like the idea of Superman dying and them leaving it like that. I don't think Superman would kill Zod either. I dunno. Superman is a character beyond death. It doesn't suit him. I'm not sure if I can explain it =/
    entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By entropy_aegis
    @ssejllenrad said:
    " @batmanary said:
    "Exactly. Plus Superman's origin hasn't been truly explored, having Zod as that last link makes sense. I personally want Zod to be the mastermind of the Doomsday Project, which would progress over the movie series, eventually teaming up with Lex in the end, murdering him, and then unleashing the monster after dying in a fight with Superman, leading to an epic confrontation leaving both creatures dead. I would like a movie to explore the end of Superman rather than the beginning, and I think three movies is enough to do this. "
    Man I wish you wrote the script to the movies! "

I have only one problem,Lex should Kill Zod.
    The Hobgoblin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By The Hobgoblin
    @entropy_aegis:
    I agree, as I really don't see Lex being defeated by one such as Zod. UNLESS they wanna go the whole cloned body route and use it as a way to exonerate Luthor of any previous crimes.
    batmanary

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By batmanary
    @Pokeysteve said:
    " @batmanary said: 
    Exactly. Plus Superman's origin hasn't been truly explored, having Zod as that last link makes sense. I personally want Zod to be the mastermind of the Doomsday Project, which would progress over the movie series, eventually teaming up with Lex in the end, murdering him, and then unleashing the monster after dying in a fight with Superman, leading to an epic confrontation leaving both creatures dead. I would like a movie to explore the end of Superman rather than the beginning, and I think three movies is enough to do this. "
    I love the idea of having Zod behind Doomsday. That would be difficult to pull off. Doomsday took decades to create. If they could make it work that'd be cool. If they did Lex as I imagine him in my head he would never team with Zod. To tweak your story a bit, I think they should have a team up and then Lex kills Zod. That would get rid of Zod and make Lex a more credible threat. I definitely don't like the idea of Superman dying and them leaving it like that. I don't think Superman would kill Zod either. I dunno. Superman is a character beyond death. It doesn't suit him. I'm not sure if I can explain it =/ "
    I guess, but Zod not dying would be the entry to the final battle of Superman vs Doomsday. Zod and Superman would fight no holds barred, and basically destroy Metropolis, putting the death toll into the thousands, and Zod dies of exhaustion, leading to him activating the Doomsday Weapon, which would end up killing Superman, and itself. I believe it should serve as an epilogue to a story, as everytime we are treated to the beginning but never to the end of a hero's adventure. The Death would guarantee a fresh look at Superman, and since it's a movie and not a comic, the Death is permanent until the next series comes along. At this point Superman and Luthor have already traded bouts, and since it would be spread out in a trilogy, it's a neat way of phasing out Lex. I know a lot of you won't agree with me, but having Krypton basically come back and kill him would definitely help give a sort of poetic end. In fact thinking about it, this should have really been what Superman Returns aimed for, and since that series was already established, having this happen would neatly wrap it up...but I digress.
    Pokeysteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By Pokeysteve
    @batmanary: I just don't like the idea of Superman dying and it being left like that. One of the worlds most beloved superheroes dies until.........someone picks up where that trilogy left off? We can't get ONE decent Superman movie let alone three or four. Zod is still kind of a joke villain to me. Having Lex kill him and then take over his Doomsday project seems more likely and would make Lex way more opposing.  
    ssejllenrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By ssejllenrad
    @batmanary:@Pokeysteve:

I do hope Warner or Snyder gets to have a glimpse of your ideas. Whether or not you guys agree on details, these are epic (not exaggerating) ideas for a Superman film!
    Pokeysteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By Pokeysteve
    @ssejllenrad:  Thank you I'm glad you like them. I think Warner or Snyder should just go ahead and hire one of us =D Batmanary seems like a pretty cool guy and I feel comfortable disagreeing with him. We can trade ideas without fighting like little kids haha. 
    shawn87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 602

User Lists: 11

#73  Edited By shawn87

I wouldnt have mind if it was Brainiac or Darkseid instead of Zod

batmanary

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By batmanary
    @ssejllenrad: Thanks.
    @Pokeysteve:
    I'm right and you're WRONG!!! Kidding, but all jokes aside, I feel that Lex had his limelight, and although I didn't like Hackman's portrayal, it's definitely better to bring some new blood into the mythos. I know Zod was featured in a movie already, but his character offers so much potential that is just wasted. The trilogy would be an epilogue, and allow Warner to work on other characters' films, while someone else could pick it up and start anew in the future. Having Superman die would be fresh. The comicbook audience looks at comic book deaths as gimmicky, but when it happens in a movie? The average moviegoer would actually feel for it.
    Pokeysteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By Pokeysteve
    @batmanary: Haha nice. I totally agree. Lex had his chance and was boring what.......4 movies now. Zod had his too but he does have some potential. I'd still prefer a bigger threat like Mongul or Brainiac. I understand where you're coming from. Fresh is good. 
    batmanary

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By batmanary
    @Pokeysteve: Thanks
    Praetor_fenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#77  Edited By Praetor_fenix

Probably Parasite was a better choice for a first movie villain. I don't think the toyman or Mr. Myxplyx would work in film at all, Brainiac, Darkside, Bizarro and Doomsday would be awesome for a second instalment (if the first one works this time), i don't think Metallo could carry the weight of the movie by himself, but could make cameos, and i think Lex should get a support role (it would be awesome as a detractor of supes) to establish the character and then turn him into a straight Villain over the next few movies. I would love to see mongul on the silverscreen, the problems are a) he's not that well known character and b) his introduction would take serious screen time.

All in all, i'm gratefull we're getting Zod over Kevin Spacey playing Geene Hackman playing Lex Luthor. My heart could not stand that again.
    lorex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#78  Edited By lorex

What the Superman movies need is a Lex Luther that is the business man, not the carrier criminal. Metallo backed by Luthor could be interesting.  If this film version of Superman lasts more than 1 film then they could introduce Darkseid,  Brainiac,  or even Doomsday.

Avatar image for deathpoolthet1000
    DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

KNEEEEEL BEFOOOOREEEE ZOOOOOOD!!!!!
    Thorion88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By Thorion88

I'm glad to see General Zod & Faora as the villains for Man of Steel, the fact Snyder is directing means we're at least going to get a physical fight scene between Superman & the Kryptonian Criminals.

For future movies I'd love to see Lobo, Brainiac, & Mongul appear later on.

Out_of_Space

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#81  Edited By Out_of_Space

I wanna see villains like Darkseid, Doomsday, Metallo and Braniac.
    Nova`Prime`

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By Nova`Prime`

Although I like the idea of Zod as the villain, if you're redoing the Superman movie franchise you really need to start with Lex Luthor, not as the main villain obviously, but as the shadow figure behind the big bad like Metallio or Parasite and what would be even better if Luthor was using them before Superman showed up, so when Luthor sends them after Big Blue  and he eventually wins the movie can end with Superman floating outside Lex's office window with his arms crossed and he and Luthor having a stare down. Then in the second movie you can have a different batch of villains.

Dr. ? man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By Dr. ? man
    @brc2000 said:
    @Primmaster64 said:
    " No Lex. "
    Mo Lex
    "Mo Lex?" Wonderful. Let's bring back the same villain Superman has been battling in four of the five movies he's had. Let's bring back the same villain who received "main villain" status in the Superman cartoons, television shows, video games, etc. Meanwhile, let's have the bulk of the Superman rogues (with the exception of General Zod) collect dust and remain insignificant in comparison. If that's the case then it should come as no surprise to anyone why Superman has a reputation for having a weak rogue's gallery, how could it be any different if the arch nemesis receives 2/3rds of attention on a consistent basis? Geoff Johns proved when he revitalized the Flash villains that villains in certain rogue's gallery doesn't necessarily have to be forever dismissed as bottom fodder, all it takes is for someone to "think outside the box", (in this particular case, the box being labeled "Luthor") and actually usher in something new and idealistically different to the forefront for a change. It's ludicrous to assume that a Superman movie would not prove to be successful if Lex Luthor were absent from it. I believe it would be quite the contrary, actually. The Superman franchise has become far too co-dependent on Lex Luthor always being there in some capacity that it essentially creates a rather boring and predictable atmosphere because practically everyone has seen that same cycle play out between the two of them. The reason why a good number of Superman villains are perceived as "pawns" consist of the fact that they're far too intertwined with machinations created by Lex Luthor, it's always "Lex Luthor played puppet master with this villain", as opposed to another Superman villain (outside of Lex Luthor) being able to stand on his or her own thus exemplifying power on a multitude of levels. Instead of "Mo Lex", it should be "Mo variety", in regards to where the other Superman villains are concerned.
    brc2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By brc2000
    @Dr. ? man said:
    @brc2000 said:
    @Primmaster64 said:
    " No Lex. "
    Mo Lex
    "Mo Lex?" Wonderful. Let's bring back the same villain Superman has been battling in four of the five movies he's had. Let's bring back the same villain who received "main villain" status in the Superman cartoons, television shows, video games, etc. Meanwhile, let's have the bulk of the Superman rogues (with the exception of General Zod) collect dust and remain insignificant in comparison. If that's the case then it should come as no surprise to anyone why Superman has a reputation for having a weak rogue's gallery, how could it be any different if the arch nemesis receives 2/3rds of attention on a consistent basis? Geoff Johns proved when he revitalized the Flash villains that villains in certain rogue's gallery doesn't necessarily have to be forever dismissed as bottom fodder, all it takes is for someone to "think outside the box", (in this particular case, the box being labeled "Luthor") and actually usher in something new and idealistically different to the forefront for a change. It's ludicrous to assume that a Superman movie would not prove to be successful if Lex Luthor were absent from it. I believe it would be quite the contrary, actually. The Superman franchise has become far too co-dependent on Lex Luthor always being there in some capacity that it essentially creates a rather boring and predictable atmosphere because practically everyone has seen that same cycle play out between the two of them. The reason why a good number of Superman villains are perceived as "pawns" consist of the fact that they're far too intertwined with machinations created by Lex Luthor, it's always "Lex Luthor played puppet master with this villain", as opposed to another Superman villain (outside of Lex Luthor) being able to stand on his or her own thus exemplifying power on a multitude of levels. Instead of "Mo Lex", it should be "Mo variety", in regards to where the other Superman villains are concerned.
    The thing is Lex Luthor is far more important to the Superman universe than someone like Joker is to the Batman universe (like Magneto to X-Men and Loki to Thor). He doesn't have to be the main villain in the first film or any of the films, but if he's going to be completely absent from a Superman franchise (assuming they want to keep it close enough to the comics) it wouldn't make much sense. He's too big of a figure in Metropolis to be completely absent. Luthor is as much as part of the "Superman family" as the Kents, Lois, and Jimmy Olsen.
    Thorion88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By Thorion88
    @Dr. ? man:   Like anyone of these?

Parasite
    Parasite

Metallo
     Metallo

Atomic Skull
    Atomic Skull

Silver Banshee
     Silver Banshee

Toyman
     Toyman

Brainiac
    Brainiac

Livewire
    Livewire

Mongul
    Mongul
    Bizarro
    Bizarro

Lobo
    Lobo

Maxima
    Maxima

Cyborg Superman
    Cyborg Superman

Cythonna
    Cythonna
    Primmaster64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By Primmaster64
    @Thorion88 said: :D So...MUCH...WIN. I WANNA SEE THOSE!!!!

Parasite
    Parasite

Metallo
     Metallo

Atomic Skull
    Atomic Skull

Silver Banshee
     Silver Banshee

Toyman
     Toyman

Brainiac
    Brainiac

Livewire
    Livewire

Mongul
    Mongul

Bizarro
    Bizarro

Lobo
    Lobo

Maxima
    Maxima

Cyborg Superman
    Cyborg Superman

Cythonna
    Cythonna
    Magian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#87  Edited By Magian

I could see some of them in the movie.

Primmaster64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By Primmaster64
    @ComicMan24: Lobo?
    Magian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#89  Edited By Magian
    @Primmaster64: Maybe with some changes.
    Thorion88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By Thorion88
    @Primmaster64 said:

Parasite
    Parasite

Metallo
     Metallo

Atomic Skull
    Atomic Skull

Silver Banshee
     Silver Banshee

Toyman
     Toyman

Brainiac
    Brainiac

Livewire
    Livewire

Mongul
    Mongul

Bizarro
    Bizarro

Lobo
    Lobo

Maxima
    Maxima

Cyborg Superman
    Cyborg Superman

Cythonna
    Cythonna
    I figured with Maxima & Mongul you'd say that lol. I wouldn't count on ever seeing Mr. Mxy being in a film due to his powerset, nor Doomsday cause he is a rampaging plot device. But I feel any one of these shall do. Btw I don't count Darkseid as a Superman villain at the least he should be a Justice League villain but primarily a New God/Orion villain. But Supes rogues gallery does need more exposure. Zod's made cameos in animation but I'd still say he's not much better off compared to the rest.

Encantadora
    Encantadora
    Dominus
    Dominus

Volcana
    Volcana
    General Zod
    General Zod
    Ultraman
    Ultraman
    nobodythere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By nobodythere

Have been saying for years, what I'd like to see is a viral campaign. Trailers showing monuments from all over the world getting blown up. People running for their lives. Destruction. Chaos. Then the date of release. Like Cloverfield. Second set would have more of the same thing and at the very end a red blur. Then the date again in red, blue and yellow. Then the last set would show what it was: A Superman film where he does what he is known for, saving the world. From what? A Brainiac invasion. No need to show his (Superman's) origin again, everyone around the world knows it already. Show Brainiac's (The creation of a self aware super computer). Show Brainiac destroying another world then headed our way. Spend the first half hour destroying stuff (The Day After Tomorrow/ 2012) with Lois and Jimmy as our main character. Then bring in the Man of Steel to stop everything. Thats the Superman movie I would like to see. One where he does more then lift a rock or fight a super villain with his own powers. I want to see him save the world from a huge global threat with lots of things to worry about. More then likely won't get to see that, but hey. A person can dream.

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92  Edited By Billy Batson

Toyman? Really?  

BB

Primmaster64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By Primmaster64
    @Thorion88 said:
    @Primmaster64 said:

Parasite
    Parasite

Metallo
     Metallo

Atomic Skull
    Atomic Skull

Silver Banshee
     Silver Banshee

Toyman
     Toyman

Brainiac
    Brainiac

Livewire
    Livewire

Mongul
    Mongul

Bizarro
    Bizarro

Lobo
    Lobo

Maxima
    Maxima

Cyborg Superman
    Cyborg Superman

Cythonna
    Cythonna
    I figured with Maxima & Mongul you'd say that lol. I wouldn't count on ever seeing Mr. Mxy being in a film due to his powerset, nor Doomsday cause he is a rampaging plot device. But I feel any one of these shall do. Btw I don't count Darkseid as a Superman villain at the least he should be a Justice League villain but primarily a New God/Orion villain. But Supes rogues gallery does need more exposure. Zod's made cameos in animation but I'd still say he's not much better off compared to the rest.

Encantadora
    Encantadora
    Dominus
    Dominus

Volcana
    Volcana
    General Zod
    General Zod
    Ultraman
    Ultraman
    MONGUL!!! Maxima and Enchantress would probably be a love interest.What's wrong with Darkseid? I recently read an article that he is considered one of Superman's greatest archenemies. You forgot this guy.
    I Will Be Superman!
    I Will Be Superman!
    @nobodythere: That would be good too.
    Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94  Edited By Billy Batson

and Lobo isn't really Superman's enemy. He just beef with him in the past. That's all. 

BB

Dr. ? man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95  Edited By Dr. ? man
    @Thorion88 said:

Parasite
    Parasite

Metallo
     Metallo

Atomic Skull
    Atomic Skull

Silver Banshee
     Silver Banshee

Toyman
     Toyman

Brainiac
    Brainiac

Livewire
    Livewire

Mongul
    Mongul

Bizarro
    Bizarro

Lobo
    Lobo

Maxima
    Maxima

Cyborg Superman
    Cyborg Superman

Cythonna
    Cythonna
    Out of those, I've always thought Brainiac, Cyborg Superman, Mongul, Parasite and Metallo could work as antagonists for Superman to face off with in a movie. But even then, it's problematic considering both Cyborg Superman and Mongul have been better utilized in the Green Lantern books. In fact, one could make a solid argument that both Mongul and Cyborg Superman are more in tune with being Green Lantern villains than Superman villains. Despite having a long, illustrious history dueling with Superman, both Parasite and Metallo have never been built up as the kind of villains that can carry a Superman film as "the main villain". Then there's Brainiac ( largely considered Superman's second greatest foe), he should be the obvious choice as the kind of Superman villain that can essentially rise to "main villain" status. The key problem pertaining to Brainiac  (along with quite a number of other Superman villains) has always been consistency. I suspect one of the reasons why Brainiac haven't had his share of defining stories comes down to the fact that his characterization is far too sporadic. The reason why Brainiac was so successful in the Superman Animated Series was because instead of throwing out so many different versions of Brainiac, they merely stuck with one and that Brainiac was that much more effective as a result. When depicted accurately, Brainiac simply does not need Lex Luthor nor any other villain, in his war against Superman. Brainiac is more than capable of being the kind of force to be reckoned with, where it places Superman and his adoptive planet in immediate peril. 

A couple of the other villains would actually work better with someone else, for an example both Maxima and Silver Banshee would fit better as Wonder Woman villains. I think the best way to use Bizzaro is by making him out to be the silent but violent monster he was portrayed as in the Justice series, the moment someone have him go in that, "Me hate you" (which means he "likes" you) rhetoric then he becomes seen more as comedic fodder thus defeating the purpose of him being a villain. I never really bought into the idea that Livewire was ever a major threat to Superman considering she's supposedly powered by basic electricity, so unless there's been an upgrade in that electricity (via magical enhancements), I don't see her being that much of a challenge for Superman. I wouldn't mind seeing a cameo being done by the Toyman (especially if he is in marionette mode or creepy doll face mode as opposed to an elderly man) but the likelihood of him ever being given the green light to be the "main villain" in a Superman film is little to no chance. Despite his obscurity, I actually think Lord Satanus has potential. Aside from being a demonic warlord, Satanus is also a corrupt businessman therefore he could wreak havoc in Metropolis in a variety of ways.
    SpidermanWins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#96  Edited By SpidermanWins

I would like to see Doomsday or Metallo in the sequel.

Primmaster64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97  Edited By Primmaster64

I would love too See Cyborg Superman and Mogul in a Superman film.

Cervantes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#98  Edited By Cervantes

Eradicator, Jailer, but most of all Hank Henshaw CYBORG SUPERMAN! Imagine seeing Superman "save" a space shuttle blasted by a solar storm, only to find the damage was already done. And then Henshaw merges with tech and blames Superman - who will blame himself even though this is the one catastrophe he could never anticipate, prevent, or solve. Then you can have Superman seem to battle himself! Oh well!
    fodigg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100  Edited By fodigg
    @The Hobgoblin said:

With Zod having been revealed as the villain in the new Superman movie, I kinda of yawned and ask why retread the same old ground again and again. Don't get me wrong, I have high hopes for the actor portraying Zod, he was great in Boardwalk Empire. But here're some villains I would've rather seen make it:

1. Brainiac

2. Darkseid

3. Parasite

4. Bizarro
    5. Toyman

6. Mr.Myxlplyx

7. Mongul

8. Doomsday

9. Metallo

10. Battle suit/Evil businessman Lex Luthor

How about you fellow Comic Viners? Who would you have rather seen make the cut?

Great list! And I agree. There are more superman villains than Lex and Zod. I'm also going to avoid Brainiac because I feel like he's used a lot in the animated stuff and Doomsday because I don't see how they could do it right without killing him at the end, and I'm not interested in that. I'm also avoiding any villains that are super-intelligent primates (I'm looking at you, Ultra-Humanite!).

My list: 
    1. Mongul
    2. Starro (the version that appeared in REBELS was awesome)
    3. Jax-Ur
    4. General Sam Lane (or Cadmus/Amanda Waller if a General is too "Incredible Hulk")
    5. Hank Henshaw
    6. Eradicator
    7. Darkseid
    8. Parasite
    9. Metallo
    10. Ultraman
    11. Bonus: Amalak (Not a big name, but a simple, decent concept. Tyrell could work in the same way)

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.