Avalon (CVnU Enterprise/Location)

Strigidae_23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

@cassius_knightfall: Yeah. I don't think any of the communities that we have anything in common with could attack us. Actually Valcure is the only place that I know of that has a battles tradition and enough players to shake us, and they come from an Anime/40k style deal so I kinda doubt they're ready for CV level martial arts or the skill in which we use our powers. Most places don't even have a concept of 'skill with powers'.

I think it would be pretty cool to put them over in their first RPG, should they attack. Obviously there'd be the whole 'show them how its done', but more than that.. it could be a really fun storyline in its own right.

Right? They basically have a week to come up with a post every time.

Yeah, I think the scene is just super toxic there. Most of their best players came over here and stayed, and there was probably a reason for that talent exodus. I feel like some of the people who stayed on AV saw it as a chance to be big fish in a really little pond where as over here its they'd be big fish in the shark tank.

Avatar image for cassius_knightfall
Cassius_Knightfall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

@strigidae_23: Its a shame though a good crossover would be fun. Perhaps time to try and scout again once this place actually you know works again lol.

I think the general vibe would be a hard fought loss at first then full scale assault for when the put over is done.

With a week between posts quality should almost be assured could make multiple drafts in that time.

Least we get the extra talent but its a real shame that they have such power in a forum they are only doing harm to.

Strigidae_23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15853  Edited By Strigidae_23

@cassius_knightfall: It could be fun the second time too, you never know! Probably not though lol. I've thought about going back to Freedom City and talking to them about maybe having a crossover. It probably wouldn't work, because that's a site that is one hundred percent controlled by the staff so they can veto any RPG or anything they want, but it might be interesting. They're one of those silver age groups who have nothing but contempt for the iron age, so they probably wouldn't think much of us. Still, the RPG could be interesting if they'd let it happen.

Hehee, their loss was our gain in a -major- way lol. And it is a shame. That's a danger communities face. If there's no hierarchy then there's no stability and there's nothing to 'gain' so there's less of an incentive to put out good work. But if the hierarchy is static or sluggish to change then you can end up with a community that can't grow or evolve and thus eventually dies.

Like that post I saw the other day, calling for RPG's to have a planned ending. I pretty much hate RPGs with endings set in stone. It makes me feel like my characters actions don't matter and it drains all the excitement out in my opinion. But I didn't say anything negative because what if that style is what the next generation wants? Maybe they have different values and priorities than me? I mean, I already had one hell of a run and defined a lot of things about CV, both IC and OOC. What about the next generation? They should get to make their mark on our ways and culture, just as my generation did. I might have disagreed with them but it wouldn't be right for me to jump in and shut them down, they deserve a fair chance to try it out and see if they can make their style the next big thing. I don't want to become what I fought, trying to cling to one era forever and fighting every new idea.

Perhaps that's a bit rambling, but basically CV needs to grow and adjust in a way that AV has refused to do, in large part because of two of their players.

Avatar image for valerie_huntington
Valerie_Huntington

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I want a new character card...

Arquitenens

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Said under duress and I take issue.

LL's words got me thinking a little bit. The better writers, discrepancy in forums, the cultures....makes me wonder if (and I hesitate for fear of sounding way too pompous, or other issues) there's an element of us just being....smarter. Better thinkers. Than animevice.

I'm an anime person myself, so at some point I did ask myself "why not give AV a try?" And I went over there, but I didn't create an account because of some regulations and things that didn't sit right with me. But I could've gotten over those, I think, except for there was this thing. As far as I could tell, it wasn't official, but kinda like one of those social mores and unspoken rules. With the bio creation. We in the comic place specialize in giving characters powers and abilities. Anime often places more of a focus on specialforms, power levels, or moves. These, as they were detailed on AV with the bios, they detail in depth at the start. This move has this effect. This form makes this happen.

I didn't create an account because that was a lot to consider and I was too lazy to detail everything, but I didn't wanna not do it and be an outcast. But then...when the two clash, I think we're superior. Two systems. One system says "I use this move and this happens. I use this move and this happens." But in a lot of ways, they're working with a more limited repertoire. What happens when your opponent counters your move? You cycle to the next one until you run out. Plus, if it's a lot of work to detail everything and you get tired of doing it, your repertoire is even more limited. The second system says "I have this ability and this one and this one." It is a system that allows more flexibility. For one, it's more accommodating if you're comparatively lazy. You can do a big detailed explanation of each and every power, and do just as much work as the anime system. Or you could just list powers one after the other. Already you've got a larger repertoire.

But then, with the social mores and the system we (unofficially) use here, we teach ourselves to think more critically. Instead of "I have this move and it does this," explicitly defined for us, it's "I have this power/ability. What are the many ways I can apply that power/ability in conjunction with my others?" And we combine different aspects of things. Now, if in the anime system, someone has a perfect counter to this one move you have, you're screwed. Outclassed. Your best move doesn't work, it's over. In the comics system, if someone has a counter, it's not always so perfect. I'm trained to think of many ways around it, particularly if I'm a skilled battler. If my enemy is stronger than me, I can still win. I'm not stuck sticking with a set number of moves. I may have more limited powers, but my applications are only limited by my mind.

So! When you put the two systems together, you have a limited system vs a potentially limitless system. Anime guy uses Move number 1 (let's say a fireball of a certain power level), comic guy (Amaranth as a basis) uses power number 1 (let's say intangibility) and avoids it. Move number 1 exhausted, useless. Power number 1, used, still available and very useful. Anime guy uses move number 2, a stronger fireball. Just as useless as move number 1 against power number 1. If his arsenal is comprised of fireballs, they're all just as useless. Amaranth guy still has a lot more powers and moves at his disposal, and this is without even moving, just standing still in intangibility. Let's say they engage in hand to hand. Anime guy can use generic moves too - jabs, crosses, hooks, etc. But he's much more accustomed to "move number 3," which is a specific combination or something. He might hurt Amaranth with that badly. Or he might fail, because Amaranth parries and blocks it, or intangibles, or whatever. Anime guy's habit teaches him to think a certain way, and his natural instinct is to go "what's my next move?" until he's used all of his moves and his enemy is left standing and he's screwed. Meanwhile, Amaranth guy's habit teaches him to think a different way. His natural instinct is not to be set in a pattern. If his intangibility doesn't work against a certain move, he's still thinking of different ways to apply it in different ways. It's not immediately exhausted. Instead of "this power doesn't work," he's thinking "this power used in this way won't work....But maybe if I used it this way...." And so on. We have versatility. It's sort of like the stress of Bruce Lee and mixed martial arts vs. traditional martial arts. Often the traditional martial artist knows a bunch of moves and combos and things like that. The one not focused on the specific moves he has, but on his body and knowledge and physical capabilities, how to apply all of his tools, will typically win.

Strigidae_23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@arquitenens: That's a really good breakdown and makes a lot of deep observations. Thank you for posting it :-)

Arquitenens

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15857  Edited By Arquitenens
_Grifter_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15858  Edited By _Grifter_

The rain makes me sleepy.

On an unrelated note, Helena's now my favorite clone. She just doesn't give fck and still manages to steal every scene she's in.

Lady_Grimm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15859  Edited By Lady_Grimm

You ever have so many things to do you that you just go to sleep? Thats me right now.

Strigidae_23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If that entire post was eaten I'm gonna be kinda mad.

Strigidae_23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

_Grifter_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@strigidae_23: She really is. She kinda reminds me of Ivana. Only she's Ukrainian instead of Russian.

Strigidae_23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Strigidae_23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@_grifter_: Now that's a compliment ~_^. If her hair was a different color I'd probably use her for gifs sometime.

Lady_Grimm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@strigidae_23: lol thanks. Had trouble finding one I really liked.

Strigidae_23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Rafael_Romeiro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That video was intense!

Kayle_Rez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really wana use Bayonetta as a look >.> but who <.< how

Inner_Demon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kayle_rez: Make a mysterious stranger with amnesia and just make that part up as you go? ;)

Last_Guardian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 3

Sony got utterly rekt...

_Zer0_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So you need the WiiU version AND the 3DS version to get Mewtwo?

Pfffffffff, got my WiiU version today. Bro is getting his 3DS version on Christmas.

FREE MEWTWO FOR US! =D

_Zer0_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Little Mac is such a bamf O_O

_Rose_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

God, Anita is an idiot.

_Zer0_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@_rose_: You better don't leave this site >_>

_Rose_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@_zer0_: I'm not leaving, but there isn't really much for me to do.

_Zer0_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@_rose_: Same thing, but we can always write something together =)

_Rose_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@_zer0_: Of course! If we can think of anything =s

_Zer0_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Cassius_Knightfall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@arquitenens: Well said.

I think there is a place for planned endings in nonbattle heavy rps, last thing a battle needs to me is a set outcome. It take's away from the flow of ideas that a battle creates, your sorta looking towards something rather than running with what you have if a major plot point is set in stone. When i was in COP's we used to have some set pieces set up via pm's but we would try to make it look organic and it can be quite difficult to achieve that.

As for the next generation of writers they will eventually set their own own rules etc and will be interesting to see what gets altered. I learned from the transition of our age that sometimes its better to shut up lol.

Rafael_Romeiro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hehe, that was funny.

Strigidae_23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cassius_knightfall: I'd be interested in seeing them try a 'planned' RPG just to see how it worked. Who knows, maybe they'd find some kind of formula that made it better than what we've got. Gotta experiment to find out the truth about what's what.

_Grifter_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@_grifter_: Now that's a compliment ~_^. If her hair was a different color I'd probably use her for gifs sometime.

Not a fan of the crazy Shakira hair I take it? lol

_Grifter_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Fifteen updates...I'm always on the fence when it comes to updating my computer.

Strigidae_23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@_grifter_: Ah, I think it looks awesome and fits her character. But its the wrong color for Ivana, and although I'm pretty open to different looks I try to hit the broad strokes more or less lol.

_Grifter_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@strigidae_23: I understand, you could always use her for a RL look for Kratesis. Both have...interesting mannerisms.

Strigidae_23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@_grifter_: I thought about using her for Kratesis. And I might someday.

_Grifter_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15887  Edited By _Grifter_

@strigidae_23: I don't know if I'm excited, or worried about the prospect of you busting Kratesis out someday. On one hand, she's a great character who causes the vine to shift every time she pops up. On the other hand, she gonna kill everybody lol.

Strigidae_23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@_grifter_: Well that's very kind haha. Hopefully it will be fun for everyone when she shows up.

Cassius_Knightfall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cassius_knightfall: I'd be interested in seeing them try a 'planned' RPG just to see how it worked. Who knows, maybe they'd find some kind of formula that made it better than what we've got. Gotta experiment to find out the truth about what's what.

Done it a few times it can work if everyone is on same page. But who knows what the future will bring i guess.

Strigidae_23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Strigidae_23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

One of the thing that annoys me the most about AV is the way people comment on the bios. They all jump in and start talking about the stuff they don't like and what should be changed and this and that. It destroys a boundary that lives between peoples creations and negative comments. Basically you create something over there and then you get ten comments about what's wrong with it which does a lot of damage to excitement and momentum. Plus I think it creates a culture of disrespect that allows some of the damaging behavior they have to thrive.

Cassius_Knightfall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@strigidae_23: You want to do one just let me know lol, done several so have a good idea on how best to do it. Well at least how it was done when we did it.

Strigidae_23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cassius_knightfall: I was thinking 'Ivana Kills the CV Universe!' Sounds perfect for a pre-set ending ;-P

Actually I meant that I was excited for the future lol, not specifically one style of RPing.

_Darkwing_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bored.

Cassius_Knightfall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@strigidae_23: lol ahh sorry writing as well so my mind isn't on top form. I would read it , hell i would put Cass up as a scalp.

Strigidae_23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cassius_knightfall: Haha, I wouldn't really do that. Mostly 'cause there is no way I'd write that many battles lol.

Cassius_Knightfall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@strigidae_23: Ahh but if its pre set its not really a battle, people could just say take my charcter and kill um off wont even need imput unless asked for it. Granted a more realistic feel would come from a battle type tit for tat till defeat though.

Strigidae_23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cassius_knightfall: Ah yeah, I see what you are saying. That would probably be a lot less work, that's true.

Cassius_Knightfall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@strigidae_23: As i said done it before lol. But yeah we did it with cops characters as we knew each other well enough to sorta go ok that should work in character and would just run bits past people if not sure. Allows for one large post then. To this day i still think CPG and Azreal com up with stuff for Eddy that was at least even with my best as him lol

Rafael_Romeiro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He's actually a pretty cool guy.