• 166 results
laflux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#101  Edited By laflux

Happy to reach >100 posts in your ask thread ?

PlasticBag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#102  Edited By PlasticBag

@Buckshot: Favorite Marvel character? Favorite DC character? Also if it's not to personal, what're some of your hobbies?

Jezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#103  Edited By Jezer

I vaguely remember you saying you have a degree in linguistics, at one point or another. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Linguistically, is there a noted phenomenon where say a person inherits the incorrect/accented pronunciation of a specific word, from their parents, despite speaking proper English?

For example, I say the word Oh-ven wrong....found that out a couple months ago in the middle of a conversation"Wait...hold up....did you just say....OHven?!"..... and it's because my mom says Oh-ven. And I refuse to say it "correctly", and even admit my fault, in the presence of other people....Is this also something noted in linguistics or am I just stubborn-mc-stubby?

Avatar image for buckshotwashere
BuckshotWasHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 51

#104  Edited By BuckshotWasHere  Moderator

@laflux: Meh, It's irrelevant.

@PlasticBag said:

@Buckshot: Favorite Marvel character? Favorite DC character? Also if it's not to personal, what're some of your hobbies?

Favorite is a tough word. At this second I'll say Black Panther and Kang for Marvel and Jack Hawksmoor and Mr. Majestic for DC. I like taking in stories and anything to do with making them, so I spend a lot of time with comics, books, tv shows, and movies, reading/viewing various media having to do with the making of those things as well as analysis of and thoughts in general about these things in their final form and their place in and out of their genre. After stories, my other major interest areas encompass science fiction, language, thought, and technology. Finding ways to read/learn about the above actually covers quite a few of my hobbies. I also like to make things (I'm actually in the middle of making my first mask, which also happens to be my first sculpting project), I cook (for fun, not just to live, but only when I have the money and time), I like to go out exploring (nature in the day, the city at night), sports are on a break since I snapped off the end of my collar bone, but I'd usually count that as a way I like to spend time (and I play basketball, football, and ultimate frisbee), driving has become a hobby since I got my stick shift, and I like playing games, mostly cards but also board games.

@Jezer: I have degrees in linguistics and in speech, language, and hearing sciences/communication disorders. It sounds like you're just referring to your idiolect (personal dialect), though their might be a slightly better word for it that I'm not thinking of (and by that I mean it would be like calling wolverine a mutant instead of a superhero, both are accurate but one is more accurate). Adopting pronunciations (and other aspects of speech like rate, prosody, etc) from family members is common. It's really just a small scale version of what happens over any area. The same way a person in the south grows up speaking with a southern accent, a child picks up language patterns from their parents. Usually exposure to the community generalizes their speech so it matches everyone around and not just their parents (and that would get rid of things that their parents say differently) but that doesn't always happen, and doesn't need to. Some people just keep unique speech patterns from their parents, even after their conscious of the fact that it's unique. It actually also works in reverse too, where a child can start saying a word "wrong" (or a new word entirely) and the family adopts it and uses it as their default even after the child has grown out of it. There's nothing wrong with your OH-ven.

Xanni15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#105  Edited By Xanni15

@Buckshot:

Did you ever find a good match-up for Jack Hawksmoor?

Would you want to travel in space, to another planet or just in space, if you were asked to?

Do you believe there's alien life on another planet somewhere?

xxxddd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#106  Edited By xxxddd

@Buckshot:

What is the meaning of life?

BuckshotWasHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107  Edited By BuckshotWasHere  Moderator

@Xanni15 said:

@Buckshot:

Did you ever find a good match-up for Jack Hawksmoor?

Would you want to travel in space, to another planet or just in space, if you were asked to?

Do you believe there's alien life on another planet somewhere?

I think the best match from that thread was Ultron, but I was always too lazy to actually work that fight out. I think I would have preferred if someone else made that fight and I could just throw my thoughts out and find out if Hawksmoor could win or not that way, instead of thinking about it myself.

I'd have to say another planet. Space would be cool, but there's only so much I could do just flying around. If I could be on another planet I could do more than just look at things.

I don't know about life out there. I have no reason to believe it definitely exists, but I don't think it's a ridiculous idea.

@xxxddd said:

@Buckshot:

What is the meaning of life?

42. Really, what other answer were you expecting?

Xanni15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108  Edited By Xanni15

@Buckshot:

What are your current favorite TV shows that you watch?

Which comic book inspired movie were you most impressed with or enjoyed the most?

How would you rate your self control on a scale from 1-10?

How many times have you been to Disney World?

BuckshotWasHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109  Edited By BuckshotWasHere  Moderator

@Xanni15:

Eh... Stuff currently on tv? Misfits and Fringe. And I'll count Luther since it will be back on tv next year.

Road to Perdition. Of the current crop, the Iron Man movies (Avengers included) and the second Batman movie.

Self control in terms of stopping myself from doing things, I'd say like 7 or 8. In terms of getting myself to do things I don't want to, probably 2 or 3. I'll say 5 as an overall.

I don't think I've ever been to disney world.

Avatar image for cosmicallyaware1
cosmicallyaware1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 46

love asking moderators questions.

BuckshotWasHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111  Edited By BuckshotWasHere  Moderator

@cosmicallyaware1: I was gonna spin you something about moderators being immortals of the Highlander variety, but honestly I don't know. It was back when there weren't many mods and when I was far more active on the site and someone was needed to slap around the inmates of the battle forum asylum.

BuckshotWasHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112  Edited By BuckshotWasHere  Moderator

hey who are your top five dc characters

True DC characters? No Wildstorm write-ins?

Sinestro, Batman, Martian Manhunter, Etrigan.

I'll stick with these 4.

Magian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#113  Edited By Magian

What do you think of the Wildstorm characters' treatment so far in the DCnU? And any other you would like to see there but still haven't made an appearance?

xxxddd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#114  Edited By xxxddd

What would you do if you couldn't walk?

Xanni15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115  Edited By Xanni15

@Buckshot:

What is the one biggest change you think could reinvigorate Stormwatch?

Who taught you how to drive a stick?

Have you been intrigued by the battles on the forum or just bored?

BuckshotWasHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116  Edited By BuckshotWasHere  Moderator

lol, forgot about this. wouldn't have seen it without the call out.

@ComicMan24 said:

What do you think of the Wildstorm characters' treatment so far in the DCnU? And any other you would like to see there but still haven't made an appearance?

I'll be generous and call it lackluster. I think Voodoo was the best use and treatment of a wildstorm character. She got a book with beautiful art and at least a marginally unique story, and the character (and later, characters) were interesting enough that I wanted to know how their lives played out. It was doing its own thing (Kyle Rayner guest starred an issue but otherwise it was on its own) but also telling a story that affected or at least was part of the rest of the DCU (the whole Daemonite invasion thing). That book was cancelled. Grifter I felt was not that good, but I felt there was potential in it (though when the art changed that only lowered my opinion of it). Stormwatch is a train wreck whose best work was done under people who aren't the regular writers. I won't go into that because I have multiple blog entries on how terrible it is and I don't feel the need to rehash all that. Other characters are scattered around and I've tried to look at them all and none have seemed particularly interesting, which is a shame. It just all seems like wasted potential to me. There are a ton of characters and so many ways to use them, but it seems that nothing really worth mentioning has been attempted with most of them.

The characters I'd like to see? It's hard to say because given how the characters I have seen have been treated, I almost don't want to see any more. But if I could see some characters done well, I'd want Majestic for sure (though he's probably the most likely to be messed up given DC already has Superman, whose image they need to protect), Backlash, Jackson King, and Tao. I'd say Planetary but I almost see that team as more Warren Ellis than Wildstorm. What I'd love more than anything would be if the actual Authority appeared. I'm talking about a story where Jenny comes back from wherever she vanished to when she took away the baby universe, gathers up Dr. Swift, Midnighter, Apollo, and Jack, gets on the carrier and tells the team that on her way back she found a new Earth that she wants to check out, and leads them to the DCnU. I don't know what would happen, because they couldn't exist too long in the current DC universe too long without one side or the other being drastically changed, but it would make me feel better to know that my Wildstorm Universe exists somewhere.

@xxxddd said:

What would you do if you couldn't walk?

lol, my first thought was "Bowflex". Honestly I'd be pretty upset because I'm incredibly physically active whenever I can be. I do everything short of crazy parkour stunts (because I'm afraid of flipping unless there's water beneath me lol). I like to be out and about and exploring and I couldn't do that the same way in a wheel chair. I'd probably still try to be active though. I would definitely turn my wheel chair into a mobile internet hotspot and always have my laptop on me, which, would be kind of cool. There are more concerns I would have, but that's where my thinking starts.

@Xanni15 said:

@Buckshot:

What is the one biggest change you think could reinvigorate Stormwatch?

Who taught you how to drive a stick?

Have you been intrigued by the battles on the forum or just bored?

I made a post that probably answers your first question pretty well. Here it goes. Basically though the thought is that the ongoing title be scrapped and the team only show up in guest spots and occasional minis where they drop in on threats in other comics or are dealing with their own thing in a mini. The idea of them being secret and working behind the scenes would be shown in them just appearing but people not really knowing where they came from and then disappearing again. And writers could use them as needed as it fits their story, a sort of functional deus ex machina of the DCU (obviously I would want it to be far more interesting than that). Their fleeting appearances across the DCU would add to their mystery and the idea that they actually are a secret protective force, and because they wouldn't need to be anywhere unless a writer had a cool idea for them, they would (hopefully) always be written at their best. The struggle then would be keeping their characters consistent (and developing, though the need for that is debatable), but they could maybe have an editor or writer that is always tied to them to make sure that happens no matter where they show up, and maybe that person could be crafting a story for them that gets told in a mini and maybe (or maybe not) gives a reason for their various guest appearances until that point. I really think it's a great idea and wish DC would steal it from me and then find a way for it to actually work since I'm sure there are things I just have no idea about that would make such a thing difficult. If anyone knows anyone in DC, give them my idea, Stormwatch is currently a ball of garbage and pretty much anything would be better.

My mom a little bit and a friend at school who has her own manual and thought teaching me would be good for her in case she ever needed someone to drive her car.

Mostly bored.

Xanni15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117  Edited By Xanni15

@Buckshot:

Favorite Kanye West song?

Are there any songs on your MP3, iPod, music player, etc, that you would be slightly embarrassed about if others knew?

Are you a front seat or backseat driver when someone else is driving?

BuckshotWasHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118  Edited By BuckshotWasHere  Moderator

@Xanni15:

Spaceship

I'm pretty secure in my musical tastes and they're pretty varied as are my friends, so there have been plenty of times when a song that doesn't match the friends I'm with pops up on shuffle and I can't recall ever being embarrassed by it. I'm only embarrassed by my music when it's particularly in line with my feelings at the moment and it allows someone nearby to know where I am mentally/emotionally without me saying anything. That's a timing thing though, no song is always so appropriate.

I generally don't comment on other people's driving.

Xanni15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119  Edited By Xanni15

@Buckshot:

Are you a big fan of rollercoasters?

If you were hired as a getaway driver in your immediate area (since you know that area better than others), on a scale of 1-10 what is the likelihood you'd be successful?

Do you have a particular dream car (non-comic book or movie), if money were no object?

BuckshotWasHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120  Edited By BuckshotWasHere  Moderator

@Xanni15: I love rollercoasters but I HATE them right until the ride sends me flying. Every time I'm on the part of the machine where they're pulling you to the start, I want to get off. Ugh, I hate even thinking about it.

Right now I'd fail because I just moved for an internship, but a few months ago, living where I had been for all of undergrad and grad school, I'd say 8.

Nope, no dream car.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

#121  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

@Buckshot:

What is your favourite computer game of all time?

What new computer game are you most looking forward to?

If you where offered a spot on a team that was being sent to colonise Mars but it was a one way trip would you still go?

BuckshotWasHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122  Edited By BuckshotWasHere  Moderator

@Jonny_Anonymous:

I don't play many games but I've been playing Guild Wars 2 since the end of last year and I greatly enjoy it so I'll choose that one.

And I'm most looking forward to an expansion for Guild Wars 2.

I would definitely take it. I can't tell you how excited I'd be to go somewhere else and escape this life for something utterly new.

Lots_Of_Love

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123  Edited By Lots_Of_Love

@Buckshot: What is your favorite and least favorite animated series based on a comic book.

BuckshotWasHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124  Edited By BuckshotWasHere  Moderator

@SHARKBEARAGATOR: Favorite is easily Justice League, and least favorite is harder to say since I don't watch things that I don't like. Maybe the more recent TMNT?

BuckshotWasHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125  Edited By BuckshotWasHere  Moderator

who are your top five dc and marvel charcacters

Sinestro, Batman, Martian Manhunter, Etrigan

Black Panther, Kang, Multiple Man, Spider-Man

Xanni15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126  Edited By Xanni15

@Buckshot: Have you ever lost control of your temper?

Do you foresee a time in your life, outside of dying, where you won't continue to read comics?

BuckshotWasHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127  Edited By BuckshotWasHere  Moderator

@Xanni15: Not really. I've "lost control" in a very controlled fashion before. I don't snap because I'm always aware of the emotional and physical damage my words and actions could cause if I did, but there have been times when I've allowed myself to indulge destructive emotions, but given my control over it, I don't think that really counts.

There have already been times where I've taken breaks from reading comics. Not really on purpose, but I just lose the desire to read them for stretches. Don't know if it counts as not reading comics if I eventually read them again after.

Chaos Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128  Edited By Chaos Prime

when are u going to change your Avatar?

AssertingValor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 65

#129  Edited By AssertingValor

@Buckshot: Ben 10 fan?

BuckshotWasHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130  Edited By BuckshotWasHere  Moderator

@Chaos Prime said:

when are u going to change your Avatar?

When something moves me to. I'm not one for frequent avatar changes. Even when I do switch them up, there's usually a few hours or days at most when I switch between a few I'm still deciding on, then I'm with one for months, or more often a year or more. The current one is from Prince of Cats and I love that comic so much that I really don't see it changing soon. It's also significant that it's similar in style to my original avatar (you'd have to know my original one and also have read Prince of Cats, which I recommend anyway, to actually know what I'm talking about). It's not an avatar that's a mask I want to wear, it's one that reflects the essential me, and those ones tend to last longer. On the other hand, now that my attention has been brought to it, I might decide to change it tomorrow.

@LordMaverick said:

@Buckshot: Ben 10 fan?

No, but not because I've watched it and disliked it, just never got into it to actually like it or not.

Xanni15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131  Edited By Xanni15

@Buckshot:

I think you might have alluded to this already, but if any of the comics that you read were discontinued, would you pick up something else or are you currently reading all that you want to?

For you personally, would there bee such a thing as having too much money?

Do you support Capital Punishment in general?

BuckshotWasHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132  Edited By BuckshotWasHere  Moderator

@Xanni15 said:

@Buckshot:

I think you might have alluded to this already, but if any of the comics that you read were discontinued, would you pick up something else or are you currently reading all that you want to?

I'm already reading what I want month to month. What I'd do with more just-for-comics money would be to buy trades or omnibuses I don't yet have.

I don't think I could have too much money. I'm not really tryna be insanely wealthy, but if I had endless money I'd find things to do with it and people to give it to.

It's too late at night for me to be talking about capital punishment. My views on it have gone both ways and I don't really know where I come down it at the moment. I'm not trying to dodge the question, but I don't feel I have a good answer right now without writing an essay, and if you've seen the length of some of my battle forum posts you've just seen the tip of how much I can write when given half a reason. Just the tip. ;)

Xanni15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133  Edited By Xanni15

@Buckshot said:

@Xanni15 said:

@Buckshot:

I'm already reading what I want month to month. What I'd do with more just-for-comics money would be to buy trades or omnibuses I don't yet have.

I don't think I could have too much money. I'm not really tryna be insanely wealthy, but if I had endless money I'd find things to do with it and people to give it to.

It's too late at night for me to be talking about capital punishment. My views on it have gone both ways and I don't really know where I come down it at the moment. I'm not trying to dodge the question, but I don't feel I have a good answer right now without writing an essay, and if you've seen the length of some of my battle forum posts you've just seen the tip of how much I can write when given half a reason. Just the tip. ;)

Maybe I'll just keep my questions to Yes or No. lol

BuckshotWasHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134  Edited By BuckshotWasHere  Moderator

@Xanni15: No

Xanni15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135  Edited By Xanni15

@Buckshot:

Not asking for details as you're a very private person so this is more of a general question. How's the internship going?

Have you watched any of these TV shows? Lost, Deadwood, Rome, or any of the Stargate shows.

What did you want to be when you were much younger?

BuckshotWasHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136  Edited By BuckshotWasHere  Moderator

@Xanni15: Freaked me out for a second until I realized I posted that I moved for an internship on the last page. Anyway, it's going fine. That sounds possibly too neutral, maybe even negative, but it's not. I'm really good at my job (and pretty much anything else I pursue) so it going as well as it is, is kind of a given so I don't see it as much to talk about. But for you, I guess I could spare a sentence or two: I'm working at a children's hospital/outpatient center and after next week I'll have taken over 100% of my supervisors caseload. The work requires effort but isn't excessively challenging and I enjoy it about as much as can be expected.

Watched Lost and Stargate (atlantis and original recipe). I've wanted to watch Deadwood but haven't gotten around to it yet. Rome's not on my list.

I have no idea what I wanted to be when I was younger. Honest.

Xanni15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137  Edited By Xanni15

@Buckshot: Did you post that a page back? I had no idea. >.>

IMO Deadwood is an exceptional show all around.

Xanni15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138  Edited By Xanni15

@Buckshot:

Least favorite major sport?

Are you a good swimmer?

Nelomaxwell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139  Edited By Nelomaxwell
@Buckshot: Where've you been and Is that Wimberly's Tybalt as your Avi?
Avatar image for yourneighborhoodcomicgeek
YourNeighborhoodComicGeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 15

Origin of username? Do you video game?

BuckshotWasHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#141  Edited By BuckshotWasHere  Moderator

@Xanni15 said:

@Buckshot:

Least favorite major sport?

Are you a good swimmer?

Least favorite to play or watch? I'll say play because I don't really watch sports so they'd be equally least favorite. And least favorite to play would probably be hockey because I don't ice skate.

I'm an excellent swimmer. I naturally have a swimmer's body and though I don't do much to maintain it, it maintains itself.

@Nelomaxwell said:

@Buckshot: Where've you been and Is that Wimberly's Tybalt as your Avi?

I'm not sure how to say where I've been. I been around. I think I come back to comicvine when I want to procrastinate (which is what I'm doing right now!) so when I'm not doing that, I'm usually not here. And it sure is. The book is beyond excellent. I think everyone should read it.

@YourNeighborhoodComicGeek said:

Origin of username? Do you video game?

I don't remember where Buckshot came from. The only video game I regularly play is Guild Wars 2. Maybe I'll go do that now.

Nelomaxwell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#142  Edited By Nelomaxwell
@Buckshot: Do you think we'll ever see Milestone comics anywhere in DC?
BuckshotWasHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#143  Edited By BuckshotWasHere  Moderator

@Nelomaxwell: You mean the characters? I imagine some will be back if they aren't already. Static showed up, others likely will too.

Xanni15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@buckshot: How are you enjoying the new layout?

BuckshotWasHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#145 BuckshotWasHere  Moderator

@xanni15: No problems big enough to mention.

King_Saturn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Whose music do you like more ? MF Doom or Lupe Fiasco ?

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#147 vance_astro  Moderator

Who's the character in your avatar?

Xanni15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@buckshot: What's the worst injury you've seen on the job?

BuckshotWasHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#149 BuckshotWasHere  Moderator

Whose music do you like more ? MF Doom or Lupe Fiasco ?

Lupe

Tybalt from Prince of Cats. Read it.

@xanni15 said:

@buckshot: What's the worst injury you've seen on the job?

For some reason I've never thought of my job in these terms. Probably the worst that I've treated personally for any length of time (as opposed to seeing briefly or being on someone else's caseload) was a man who had his trachea crushed or a young woman who was mentally mostly intact but couldn't move much more than her tongue and eyes (and even those were severely limited).

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#150  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator

@buckshot said:

@vance_astro said:

Tybalt from Prince of Cats. Read it.

I don't know where to find it. Who's the publisher? It's a comic?