Follow

Batman

Character » Batman appears in 23657 issues.

Bruce Wayne, who witnessed the murder of his billionaire parents as a child, swore to avenge their deaths. He trained extensively to achieve mental and physical perfection, mastering martial arts, detective skills, and criminal psychology. Costumed as a bat to prey on the fears of criminals, and utilizing a high-tech arsenal, he became the legendary Batman.

Five Developments from DETECTIVE COMICS #0

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

Despite the changes a year ago in DC Comics with the launch of The New 52, Batman's origin has remained virtually untouched. In fact, it seemed as if his entire continuity managed to carry over while other characters have faced overhauls.

We might know Batman's origin but it turns out there are still some things that haven't been touched upon. His parents were killed as a child and Bruce vowed to train himself in order to fight the evil in the world. We haven't actually seen a lot of the years during his training prior to Year One.

No Caption Provided

With the 'zero' issues at DC this month, DETECTIVE COMICS has touched upon those final days of his training prior to returning to Gotham City. There are five revelations stemming from the issue. There will be spoilers from DETECTIVE COMICS #0 so be sure to read it first and to get the complete story.

== TEASER ==

Batman Trained in the Himalayas

No Caption Provided

Bruce Wayne didn't just train his mind to become the world's greatest detective, he also had to train his body. Gaining full control over his body called for him to seek out the legendary Shihan Matsuda. Bruce was willing to completely devote himself to Matsuda's teachings in order to complete his training. Not only was he taught martial art skills and swordsmanship, he also learned to control his body. He was no longer bound by the outside elements and could call up warmth from inside to survive extreme temperatures.

Embracing the Darkness

No Caption Provided

Batman is often seen as cold and unfeeling. We know this isn't completely the case. It is rare to see Batman or Bruce Wayne show any sort of emotion. This goes along with his final training. In order to be effective, the idea was for Bruce to give up compassion and joy and embrace the darkness within. Emotions made humans weak. Matsuda was trying to teach Bruce how to gain distance from his emotions.

Lesson in Love

No Caption Provided

How often does Batman allow himself to become close to someone? He's had the occasional girlfriend in both of his identities but he doesn't usually allow himself to get close. Settling down is completely out of the question as well. During these final days, Bruce couldn't help but accept a growing attraction to a local merchant's niece. Even though he was trained to abandon all semblance of human emotions, what he felt was too much.

This could have been a turning point in Bruce's life. It's possible he could have turned his back on his path of vengeance. Obviously this relationship didn't continue. Something happened that set Bruce back towards becoming a warrior against evil. Bruce may allow himself to get close or intimate from time to time but it's clear why he finds just about everyone so untrustworthy.

The Wayne Fortune at Risk

No Caption Provided

What was going on while Bruce was traveling the world? Alfred remained at his post and maintained Wayne Manor. It turns out this wasn't an easy task. Young Bruce Wayne did have surviving relatives. There were members of the Kane family interested in the Wayne fortune. Alfred insisted on sticking to his post, even when Bruce had been gone for years and many suspected he was dead. They had an attorney hound Alfred into turning over the Manor but Alfred wouldn't hear of it.

Bruce Wayne was Missing for Years

No Caption Provided

Now we're given more of a time frame in the New 52. While Bruce traveled around the world during his training, he didn't necessarily report back to anyone. Not even Alfred was fully aware where Bruce's travels would take him. We know from JUSTICE LEAGUE #1 that the team formed five years ago. Now we know that Bruce's return to Gotham occurred seven years ago. This gives him at least a couple years of being active before fully becoming a public figure when the League saved the world from Darkseid's invasion. You have to wonder what story he gave to the press.

Bruce was in the Himalayas 'ten years ago' and returned home 'seven years ago.' We still have the question of what happened in between. Bruce spent over six months with Matsuda but most likely not three years. We'll have to keep an eye out for the other Batman zero issues to see what other new developments pop up.

thespideyguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#1  Edited By thespideyguy

Loved this issue.

Mayo88m

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Mayo88m

Great article, especially since I don't pick up Detective Comics anymore. To add to it, don't forget Batman and Robin revealed that he spent time training with Henri Ducard!

Avatar image for stmichalofwilson
    StMichalofWilson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 107

#3  Edited By StMichalofWilson

Can't wait to see how they continue his story on the next zero issues of Batman comics.

Omega Ray Jay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By Omega Ray Jay

Interesting stuff, I guess the more obscure they leave the timeline it allows people to incorporate what stories they love into there own unique set of events pre 52.

ezepandamx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By ezepandamx

Too GOOD

Avatar image for deactivated-5a4e0e8ea3dfb
    deactivated-5a4e0e8ea3dfb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I didn't find any real use for this issue. The whole "bury your emotions" angle and distrusting people doesn't fit with the timeline that is being shown in the new 52. Taking out all the girlfriends Bruce has had over the years and his continued relationship with people like Selina Kyle and Talia, he's now running a worldwide organization in Batman Inc and is on his fourth Robin. Even if he's mellowed since this story, only two years later in the first Justice League arc he was willing to team-up with other superheroes almost without question and even went on a suicide mission to save Superman in the heart of Apokolips.

Very disconnected issue from everything else we've seen in the new 52 right now in terms of Batman's character.

The only real good piece of information was the re-affirmation that Bruce has a family connection to the Kane family through his mother. So he and Batwoman are cousins. I say this is interesting information because its not something that has been brought up in a number of years (even Batman: Earth One changed her family background) and not something that has been made a point of in the Batwoman series either. That it was so blatantly brought up for this issue I wonder if they'll make use of that family connection in the future.

DerfelMacklin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By DerfelMacklin

A seven year timeline for Batman does make everything easier. That's a year alone, two years with Dick and Barbara, 6 months or so with Jason and then alone again, then two years with Tim which allows all those great 90s stories to happen, and then a year with Damien in which the Morrison and Snyder stories occur.

I like that they spelled out once for all that Bruce has uncles and first cousins on the Kane side which I would assume clears up how closely related Kate/Batwoman is on the family tree.

zachkastner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By zachkastner

@DerfelMacklin said:

A seven year timeline for Batman does make everything easier. That's a year alone, two years with Dick and Barbara, 6 months or so with Jason and then alone again, then two years with Tim which allows all those great 90s stories to happen, and then a year with Damien in which the Morrison and Snyder stories occur.

I like that they spelled out once for all that Bruce has uncles and first cousins on the Kane side which I would assume clears up how closely related Kate/Batwoman is on the family tree.

I was thinking the same thing! When the New 52 happened, I was partially mapping out how long Bruce could have had each Robin.

DerfelMacklin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By DerfelMacklin

@zachkastner: Yeah, five years just wasn't enough time for everything to occur. 7 years is at least a little bit more plausible.

zackattack529

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By zackattack529

wow...loook at thethe impact the nolan verse is having on comics

KnightRise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By KnightRise

@zackattack529: What up Batman Begins lol I liked it. If it wasn't for Grant's Talia drugging him angle, it could've been written that Bruce met knocked up Talia posing as a shopkeeps' niece.

@DerfelMacklin said:

Good, but Jason said he spent a year with Bruce

Avatar image for guardiandevil83
    Guardiandevil83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Guardiandevil83

Getting this today!!

Trodorne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 58

User Lists: 15

#13  Edited By Trodorne

Despite DC's best efforts at trying to keep bruce wayne young he has to be in his early 30's. He needs time to travel and take in martial arts, establish himself as batman and raise Dick Grayson in his house until such time he could move out on his own or just stop working with bruce.

Give it up DC you failed at this task. just make him 32 and be done with it.

ThanosIsMad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By ThanosIsMad

I still ignore this timeline and see Bruce as having been active for at least ten years.

EdwardWindsor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 9

#15  Edited By EdwardWindsor

Really cool, looking foward to seeing more of this hidden past

Avatar image for captainlantern76
    CaptainLantern76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#16  Edited By CaptainLantern76

This looks very interesting.

I am so buying this.

EdBlank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#17  Edited By EdBlank

The whole "inhale darkness" thing is a Zen koan. It doesn't mean give up your positive emotions and embrace darkness. It means take all the bulls*** people hurl at you - inhale it - and when you put energy back out into the Universe, emit light. Someone cuts you off in traffic, you don't then go yell at the next person, you then give a homeless guy five bucks. Inhave pain, exhale joy. Effectively "eating" "bad" karma and sh**ing out sunshine.

UltimateSMfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By UltimateSMfan

@KnightRise said:

@zackattack529: What up Batman Begins lol I liked it. If it wasn't for Grant's Talia drugging him angle, it could've been written that Bruce met knocked up Talia posing as a shopkeeps' niece.

@DerfelMacklin said:

he did,where? tht really sux even if the writer gave bruce one more yr and made it so he came back eight yrs ago rather than seven it would have been perfect.

Mucklefluga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#19  Edited By Mucklefluga

@zackattack529: IKR. I'm like, meh not picking this up seen it all in Batman Begins.

Miss_Garrick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Miss_Garrick

Sorry, but the part where Bruce has to reject all emotions reminded me of this one "Last Air-Bender" episode. So, drama fail here.

kid Apollo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By kid Apollo

@Trodorne: i dono about that one, Bruce would have been given Wayne industries and the manor and everything else when he turned 21, much like tony stark in Iron Man 1. he wasn't given it so you can assume he left before he was old enough. having return 7 years ago would put him in his mid to late 20s

AskaniSon295

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By AskaniSon295

the movie was great "Batman Begins" oh good they adapted it into comicbook, does it talk about how Slam Bradley taught Batman everything he knows about detective work?

skaarason

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#23  Edited By skaarason

@Trodorne said:

Despite DC's best efforts at trying to keep bruce wayne young he has to be in his early 30's. He needs time to travel and take in martial arts, establish himself as batman and raise Dick Grayson in his house until such time he could move out on his own or just stop working with bruce.

Give it up DC you failed at this task. just make him 32 and be done with it.

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#24  Edited By InnerVenom123

Batman's timeline makes absolutely no sense given his age.

And it never will.

And it doesn't matter.

Avatar image for vampireselektor
    VampireSelektor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By VampireSelektor

@EdBlank said:

The whole "inhale darkness" thing is a Zen koan. It doesn't mean give up your positive emotions and embrace darkness. It means take all the bulls*** people hurl at you - inhale it - and when you put energy back out into the Universe, emit light. Someone cuts you off in traffic, you don't then go yell at the next person, you then give a homeless guy five bucks. Inhave pain, exhale joy. Effectively "eating" "bad" karma and sh**ing out sunshine.

Bump.

GeekyEverAfter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#26  Edited By GeekyEverAfter

Can't want to get my hands on this issue! It looks Amazing :)

YMCMB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By YMCMB

The 7 year timeline is a little better than 5, but it still just doesn't work. DC needs to give up on making Bruce so young, it doesn't even feel right for Batman to be 20-something. He should just be 32 in the New 52, after being Batman for 10 or 11 years.

EdBlank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By EdBlank

@Miss_Garrick : the reason it seems similar is the same reason that everyone who becomes a Christian shares a similar philosophy and practice. This concept is a martial arts/eastern philosophy standard, not something the writer created or even lifted from another source... unless you count the ancient texts as the source, then yes. By that standard our whole civilization is "lifted" from more ancient mores.

KnightRise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By KnightRise

@UltimateSMfan said:

@KnightRise said:

@DerfelMacklin said:

he did,where? tht really sux even if the writer gave bruce one more yr and made it so he came back eight yrs ago rather than seven it would have been perfect.

An issue of Red Hood & the Outlaws, I don't remember but I think Roy/Jason mentioned something like "in the year you spent with Batman, you/I

have picked up a few things". Maybe I'll look for it.

DerfelMacklin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By DerfelMacklin

Also, Bruce being active as Bats for only seven years means that Clark got a much longer head start doing superheroics if you include his Mystery Strongman of the Midwest period. :)

knighthood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 49

#31  Edited By knighthood

I can't wait to read it. Spoilers be damned, good article. Bruce isn't gay Morrison, he's Buddhist!

RedX9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By RedX9

Great issue

Avatar image for redheadedatrocitus
    RedheadedAtrocitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

The stuff involving Matsuda is no doubt intriguing but really doesn't strike me as innovative or original since it just seems to mirror his overseas training and finding himself phase that we saw in the pre-Flashpoint reality. I do like the family squabbling for the Wayne estate in the time that Bruce was gone for it gives it a sense of reality. Just because Bruce went overseas to find himself didn't mean that his estate just went to sleep after all. The time discrepancies are what really interest me though. Bruce was in the Himalayas ten years ago and yet returned home 7 years ago. Six months with Matsuda. Makes him in his early 30s at least I would say. That means there is two and a half years unaccounted for during which unknown things occurred. And I'm just curious if during that 30-month period Bruce had a flashback at all in the deep recesses of his mind to the pre-Flashpoint reality. Just saying...

RedOwl_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#34  Edited By RedOwl_1

Was an awesome issue, a lot of good philosophy. Still care a f*ck about this damn timeline XP

DocFishstick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By DocFishstick

i loved this comic. it was a good read and we get to see a better time line to work out this robin thing.

elkinscs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By elkinscs

Honestly, it may just be in contrast to what Tony Daniel was doing, but this was by far the best issue of Detective we've seen in the DCnU so far. It worked so well. Alfred was awesome and the timeline stuff actually really helps (besides, Batman makes way more sense in his early 30's). 1 week into the 0 issues and with books like this, Phantom Stranger and GL, the New 52 may be catching it's second wind.

Avatar image for sweetesttoaster
    sweetesttoaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By sweetesttoaster

@ThanosIsMad said:

I still ignore this timeline and see Bruce as having been active for at least ten years.

This.

5ive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By 5ive

How many zero issues will there be?

Avatar image for rockwellfontana
    rockwellfontana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By rockwellfontana

I found the quotes on love almost a perfect thesis for a jungian .

jrock85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#40  Edited By jrock85

I enjoyed the issue, but the timeline still doesn't make a damn bit a sense. At what point in his life was Damian concieved? When did he adopt Dick Grayson and how long was he Robin? It was stated in RHATO that Jason was Robin for two years, so how long was Tim Robin? I understand that they wanted to make Bruce younger, but this timeline is an epic fail.

clemj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By clemj

MESS

Avatar image for monkeyonurback_
    monkeyonurback_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By monkeyonurback_

ahh ya gotta love the fucked up continuity of batman now..went missing for years, has been batman for 10 years, somehow managed to raise dick from an 8 year old to a full grown nightwing, jason todd from a 12 year old to a full grown red hood, tim drake from about 14 to a fully grown red robin and still have had time to shack up with talia and now be raising damien! the stories themselves are great but this series needs to be sorted out because bruce has to be pushing 40 at this stage and been batman for at least 20 years

Avatar image for super_soldierxii
    Super_SoldierXII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Super_SoldierXII

With continuity as convoluted and overlapping as Batman's, you'd have thought DC might have taken the New 52 opportunity to do some spring cleaning ...

BatWatch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 238

#44  Edited By BatWatch

There were no significant revelations from the main story in 'Tec #0. It was a throwaway story.

The backup feature, on the other hand, was actually pretty good.

@monkeyonurback_:

Very true. The Batman verse is a clusterf*** when you try to fit it into five years.

Here is my pre-DCNU timetable.

Batman starts fighting around age twenty-two and spend first two years alone.

Grayson joins at about age twelve. Fights for about eight years with the Dark Knight.

Around age twenty, Grayson becomes Nightwing. Batman is thirty-two.

Todd joins the team around age 14 and sticks with Bruce about a year before getting whacked.

Batman is thirty-three, Grayson is twenty-one, and Todd was fifteen.

Tim joins at age thirteen and fights with him until the past year at age seventeen.

Damian shows up in the past year.

Bruce is thirty-seven, Grayson is twenty-five, Jason is probably about eighteen, Tim is seventeen, and Damian is ten.

It does make Bruce a bit old, but not by that much. You can still join the military at age thirty-five.

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

#45  Edited By TDK_1997

The 0 issue was better than all of the other issues from Detective Comics so far but it wasn't that good either.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.