Follow

Wonder Woman

Character » Wonder Woman appears in 8808 issues.

The Amazon princess, blessed with god-like super abilities, Wonder Woman is one of Earth's most powerful defenders of peace, justice, and equality and a member of the Justice League. She is considered an archetype for many heroines outside of comic book. Her initial origin depicted her as a clay baby brought to life by patron goddess Aphrodite, but in recent years she has been depicted as the daughter of Zeus and Amazon queen Hippolyta.

Wonder Woman issue #14 preview

• 64 results
    Avatar image for scorpio_cassadine
    SCORPIO_CASSADINE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

@scorpio_cassadine said:

Uhmm, these are comic books, a place where anything can happen and something did. Imagine how people who were fans of Wonder Woman for 30 years felt when Azz came along and said everything we've known was a lie. You guys are shedding a lot of tears over a three year run, do you go to other titles Azzarello has left and complain about their status quos or are we special? Where were you when Mrs. Finch was tossing out everything he wrote and reversing all his decisions? You were awful quiet then, why all the crying now?

Just cus it can, doesn't make it good. It's like with the REbirth (Johns) issue, people loved it but I thought it was shite. Mostly the reasoning for why the world was dark, so I went onto write a much better reason that would have fleshed out certain characters and what this character represented in a certain story is actually in line with what Rebirth is saying. I'll say this.... I get that Rucka wants to have a place to start to write his stories... is he an unimaginative person if he couldn't work with the Daughter of Zeus stuff? Absolutely, but let's ignore that for now. What he is trying to do, is not easy. I don't think many people can do it, and if there is a way, Rucka isn't doing it right. But it's a hard thing to do and we just have to get past this so he can do the stories he wants. So Rucka may go onto write amazing stories, but objectively I don't think this is it. It's giving you what you want, so you don't really care about the quality. Am I being kind of a dick and generalizing? Absolutely, but that's just how I feel

He was given a blank slate. If DC rebooted again and Rucka came along and did what he wanted, I'd say it sucks, but I'd have to bite the bullet on that one

To be fair, I never read her run. I wasn't really paying attention. If I was, I would have been annoyed then too.

Wonder Woman Rebirth is happening for a very specific reason, Azzarello pissed off a lot of core fans by wrecking Wonder Woman's mythos. The fact you're annoyed by Rucka returning to clean up the mess is irrelevant. You're not a fan of Wonder Woman you're a fan of Azzarello. It's not surprising that you're upset by his run being undone now, nor that you're ignorant of the drastic revisions Meredith Finch already made. You left the title when he did so the dog you had in the fight is dead. Pick up the carcass and go back home. You've lost.

SCORPIO_CASSADINE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@scorpio_cassadine said:
    @tdk_1997 said:

Rucka is starting to lose his touch and drag out these stories way too much. By splitting the book between two major story arcs that run together it gets pretty confusing and bland at times.

I don't thing it's exactly bland, but I agree. Things just take too much time to happen. We knew from the beginning that Diana was deceived, that everthing was a lie, but we're probably waiting till issue 24 to know exactly how it all happened. That's a year telling just one story. Most writers complete 3 or 4 storyarcs.

I call bs on all this. A Rebirth story comes out every two weeks, that's two alternating stories a month. At that quick pace there's no way the storylines could drag. It's been six months and we've already gone through 4 arcs. We've gotten a ton of information and world building in those six months, that crushes Azzarello's ring around the mulberry bush looking for a missing baby for three years. And let's not forget that most of us knew that baby was going to be Zeus by the third issue, so it was a huge Mcguffin search, without suspense, for a forgone conclusion. The oracles said what would happen in number one, the only real surprise was Athena Big Bird and that was stupid.

No, it's one story aiming for the same conclusion from 2 different starting points. It reads like 2 separate stories, but they are connected... but so loosely you could drop one of them and not really loose anything.

Also, I call bs on you predicting Zeke was Zeus 3 issues in. Partly because you aren't clairvoyant and partly because issue 2 and 3 were spent almost entirely on Diana and that small bombshell about her origins. So all you knew back then was that there was a kid on the way, Zeus was the father and he had since vanished and no one really knew why before issue 12.

Without Year One you don't know about the tree, without The Lies you don't know about Femyscira. Together they're intertwined intrinsically.

No I'm not clairvoyant, I can read and no it wasn't me that made the prediction, it was another poster afterwards there was debate about the accuracy which caused me to reread and agree.

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

That same issue we learn Zola is pregnant by Zeus and with him missing it's not a leap to make the assumption he's the child because the oracles tell you he doesn't exist yet.

No Caption Provided

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 12

#53  Edited By SaintWildcard

@scorpio_cassadine said:

Wonder Woman Rebirth is happening for a very specific reason, Azzarello pissed off a lot of core fans by wrecking Wonder Woman's mythos. The fact you're annoyed by Rucka returning to clean up the mess is irrelevant. You're not a fan of Wonder Woman you're a fan of Azzarello. It's not surprising that you're upset by his run being undone now, nor that you're ignorant of the drastic revisions Meredith Finch already made. You left the title when he did so the dog you had in the fight is dead. Pick up the carcass and go back home. You've lost.

It's happening because they need to do something drastic and get new readers on books. It's happening because New 52 Superman is dead and they wanna bury that aspect and move on. It's happening because Rucka lacks the imagination to continue what Azz set up. You're right, I'm not a WW fan like you, I'm just a man commenting on lazy retconning for the sake of lazy retconning. For the most part, I really don't give a shit and I tend to believe in the phrase, revenge is a dish best served cold. I just felt like razzing you for trashing a well rounded character like Ares, and it descended into this. In the end, none of this matters.... nothing matters at all.

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My attacks mostly stem from a creative stand point. Not from some overstep in my claiming to be a huge WW fan.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 1

Klaus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By Klaus

This thread is full of some really hateful people who refuse to see anything positive and will not accept change of any kind. I accepted New 52 Wonder Woman when the whole line rebooted. I accepted Finches shitty run {past the first issue which was actually good}, and now I am accepting that Rebirth Diana is different once again. Why? Because there isn't anything we can do about it and being hateful and fighting with others is what makes me want to "blow my brains out", not the fact that one creative genius doesn't want to follow or continue the story of another creative genius or that some vague info is taken out of proportion.

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Oh wow that facial art on the cover is terrible. Makes her look like a man.

SCORPIO_CASSADINE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@outside_85 said:
    @scorpio_cassadine said:
    @tdk_1997 said:

Rucka is starting to lose his touch and drag out these stories way too much. By splitting the book between two major story arcs that run together it gets pretty confusing and bland at times.

I don't thing it's exactly bland, but I agree. Things just take too much time to happen. We knew from the beginning that Diana was deceived, that everthing was a lie, but we're probably waiting till issue 24 to know exactly how it all happened. That's a year telling just one story. Most writers complete 3 or 4 storyarcs.

I call bs on all this. A Rebirth story comes out every two weeks, that's two alternating stories a month. At that quick pace there's no way the storylines could drag. It's been six months and we've already gone through 4 arcs. We've gotten a ton of information and world building in those six months, that crushes Azzarello's ring around the mulberry bush looking for a missing baby for three years. And let's not forget that most of us knew that baby was going to be Zeus by the third issue, so it was a huge Mcguffin search, without suspense, for a forgone conclusion. The oracles said what would happen in number one, the only real surprise was Athena Big Bird and that was stupid.

No, it's one story aiming for the same conclusion from 2 different starting points. It reads like 2 separate stories, but they are connected... but so loosely you could drop one of them and not really loose anything.

Also, I call bs on you predicting Zeke was Zeus 3 issues in. Partly because you aren't clairvoyant and partly because issue 2 and 3 were spent almost entirely on Diana and that small bombshell about her origins. So all you knew back then was that there was a kid on the way, Zeus was the father and he had since vanished and no one really knew why before issue 12.

@outside_85 said:

@scorpio_cassadine: And your first thought was that Zeus had crawled into Zola? Bullshit.

That's such a reasonable and thoughtful response loaded with exposition *sarcasm* apparently you don't understand mythology or even the words coming from the oracle's mouths, so of course you fail to see their significance.

I'd expect nothing less from someone that doesn't understand the intricacies of lose vs. loose. Just so you'll know, and one day your children will know, here are pictures to clarify it for you.

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 1

#61  Edited By Outside_85

That's such a reasonable and thoughtful response loaded with exposition *sarcasm* apparently you don't understand mythology or even the words coming from the oracle's mouths, so of course you fail to see their significance.

Yes, because you have, for as long as I have seen you posting on these boards, shown yourself to be a world-class intellect and detective who can at any moment deduce the outcome of a story by reading the first issue.

You are so full of it.

SCORPIO_CASSADINE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hell compared to you I'm Batman

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By SaintWildcard

@agent41 said:

I don't agree with that. Only because for me, it doesn't take a lot of imagination to do what azzarello did. The whole thing about being a Zeus bastard. A neglected child that wants revenge, and the typical confrontation of Gods making everybody around suffer(something we have seen before in her comics). For me it doesn't take a lot of imagination. On the contray. And making males the source of WW's powers and the reason she wa created, it's for me an example of lack of imagination. Considering the history of her character.

Anything can be made into a cliche if you simplify it like that (you could do that with game of thrones, which funnily enough is what I compare Azz's run to). In fact, almost every story has been done and something is copying something. What makes them intriguing to read is the dynamics between the characters and the worldbuilding around them. To me, there was still more that could have been mined from this new setting.

But you know what, I'm willing to learn. Exactly what does WW not having a dad bring to the table? It seems like it's just some overhyped Feminist thing. I gave it some thought, and there is a story or two that could be done with it (albeit more for conflict than some source of female inspiration). So please, educate me.

PS- It seems like with every decade that passes, more and more people will make WW have a dad. She had one in the JL animated series, and she had one in Grant's Earth One (and that's coming from a guy who kept saying that people are getting Martson's original vision wrong, so it's weird that he'd do that) and obviously Azz's (she may or may not have a dad in the DCEU or like Archi said, her powers come from Zeus which still goes against your argument). WW being made from Clay isn't sexy, and sex sells.

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By SaintWildcard

I haven't read much WW, but I'm pretty sure the whole angry son thing can also be chalked up to Pre 52 Ares. Also, he is the God of War. War=Bad, so that means he's bad. Pre 52 Ares is a Cliche, @Confirmed.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.