Follow

Wonder Woman

Character » Wonder Woman appears in 8808 issues.

The Amazon princess, blessed with god-like super abilities, Wonder Woman is one of Earth's most powerful defenders of peace, justice, and equality and a member of the Justice League. She is considered an archetype for many heroines outside of comic book. Her initial origin depicted her as a clay baby brought to life by patron goddess Aphrodite, but in recent years she has been depicted as the daughter of Zeus and Amazon queen Hippolyta.

Something I realized about Wonder Woman's change.

TheCrowbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By TheCrowbar

The Universe pretty much didn't change. Seriously, how many times have we seen "What if Superman never showed up?" "Batman missing!" kind of storylines where the world has gone to hell. And yet, Wonder Woman disappears, effectively not actually being part of the greater hero community anymore. How can we even consider her part of the Trinity? She just got shown having 0 influence.

davidkenneth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By davidkenneth
    @TheCrowbar:
    Not really because if she didn't exist characters like Wonder Girl and Donna Troy also wouldn't. And she still is apart of the Superhero community people just can't remember her much like Maxwell Lord btut not so evil.
    TheCrowbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By TheCrowbar
    @davidkenneth said:
    " @TheCrowbar: Not really because if she didn't exist characters like Wonder Girl and Donna Troy also wouldn't. And she still is apart of the Superhero community people just can't remember her much like Maxwell Lord btut not so evil. "
    Didn't time get changed? Wasn't that the vehicle of her retcon?
    WDW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By WDW
    @TheCrowbar said:
    " @davidkenneth said:
    " @TheCrowbar: Not really because if she didn't exist characters like Wonder Girl and Donna Troy also wouldn't. And she still is apart of the Superhero community people just can't remember her much like Maxwell Lord btut not so evil. "
    Didn't time get changed? Wasn't that the vehicle of her retcon? "
    Wonder Woman's retcon is an origin story it takes place when she is about 19 years old. The arc is a self contained one and she has not met any other superhero's yet. Anything happening outside her book is not offical to her current story arc.
    TheCrowbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By TheCrowbar

I don't understand her appearance in the last Superman then. That's happening 'now'

WDW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By WDW
    @TheCrowbar said:

" I don't understand her appearance in the last Superman then. That's happening 'now' "

Consider it a bogus appearance unless Phil Hester, the person currently writing Wonder Woman story arc decides to re-con it. Any appearance of Wonder Woman in the current time line should be of her having already resolved her story ARC.... and obviously that was not the case in Superman 708 so its bogus.
    TheCrowbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By TheCrowbar
    @WDW said:
    " @TheCrowbar said:

" I don't understand her appearance in the last Superman then. That's happening 'now' "

Consider it a bogus appearance unless Phil Hester, the person currently writing Wonder Woman story arc decides to re-con it. Any appearance of Wonder Woman in the current time line should be of her having already resolved her story ARC.... and obviously that was not the case in Superman 708 so its bogus. "
    That makes no sense to me, but I wish such an action from a comic publisher was new.
    iLLituracy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By iLLituracy

Sounds like a mess.

TheCrowbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By TheCrowbar
    @iLLituracy said:
    " Sounds like a mess. "
    I'm more or less just going by WDW's word, because the alternative is that Wonder Woman was part of the Trinity just because she was a woman with a powerset and origin outside Batman and Superman.
    WDW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By WDW
    @TheCrowbar said:

" @WDW said:

" @TheCrowbar said:

Consider it a bogus appearance unless Phil Hester, the person currently writing Wonder Woman story arc decides to re-con it. Any appearance of Wonder Woman in the current time line should be of her having already resolved her story ARC.... and obviously that was not the case in Superman 708 so its bogus. "
    That makes no sense to me, but I wish such an action from a comic publisher was new. "
    The only way you are going to understand how out of place Wonder Woman showing up in Superman 708 is, is  to read Wonder woman #600 to #606 Not surprised you don't understand because it should not have happened lol.

davidkenneth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By davidkenneth
    @TheCrowbar:
    I think it changed for her not for everyone else.
    TheCrowbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By TheCrowbar
    @davidkenneth said:
    " @TheCrowbar: I think it changed for her not for everyone else. "
    But the fact that they can do that and have such little effect. And there are changes for everyone else, Superman doesn't know who she is.
    Sydpart2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Sydpart2

I must admit a lot of confusion as to the place of her current arc taken in context with the rest of the DCU...everything I've seen with her to this point outside of her own book has her with the old costume...if it were me I'd just suddenly have her remember everything going on now while in the old costume, kind of suddenly have all the memories hit her at once...idk, that makes more sense in my head. If you don't believe me go into my head then come back out and tell me it doesn't

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#14  Edited By danhimself
    @WDW said:
    " @TheCrowbar said:
    " @davidkenneth said:
    Wonder Woman's retcon is an origin story it takes place when she is about 19 years old. The arc is a self contained one and she has not met any other superhero's yet. Anything happening outside her book is not offical to her current story arc. "
    that's not right at all....it's been acknowledged in Superman and Flash....her story arc IS affecting the rest of the DC Universe
    TheCrowbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By TheCrowbar

Acknowledge is something for Booster Gold and minor heroes. WW is a member of the trinity supposedly the three most influential people in DCU, and all she gets is a "Hey you look familiar"?

WDW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By WDW
    @danhimself said:

" @WDW said:

" @TheCrowbar said:
    " @davidkenneth said:
    Wonder Woman's retcon is an origin story it takes place when she is about 19 years old. The arc is a self contained one and she has not met any other superhero's yet. Anything happening outside her book is not offical to her current story arc. "
    that's not right at all....it's been acknowledged in Superman and Flash....her story arc IS affecting the rest of the DC Universe "

According to Phil Hester, the way the current story arc for Wonder Woman is being written is as I said. It's A self contained story about how she became Wonder Woman. Yes the timeline was changed but according to Phil the story is supposed to be taking place when Diana was like 20 years old. Since JMS left Superman and Wonder Woman abruptly I am thinking the other writers are a bit confused about what is going on and are just taking liberties with Wonder Woman without regard to her current story arc.

An example is when she just showed up in Superman 708.Continuity wise, If you are reading Wonder Woman 600 - 606 you will see there is no place in her current story for meeting Superman. It's pretty much and impossibility since she only began to fly, (while in Turkey) at the very end of 604 and arrives at home in New York directly from Turkey and does not leave New York again. No reason is given for her being in Nebraska at all.  Also the dialog did not make sense in Superman 708 since she was already doing hero stuff since she was 8 years old based on her current story arc. As I said, liberties are being taken by other writers who really don't understand the situation that is supposed to be going on with Wonder Woman. I blame JMS and DC comics for that.

Her showing up in Flash does not change anything because it could have been referring to any point during the altered time stream.

Phil Hester has stated for the record that he is not writing Wonder Woman with Flashpoint or JLA Generations lost in mind and that Wonder Woman is self contained origin story of sorts.

I guess once we finish Wonder Woman 612 we will finally know what truly happened.

antiterra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By antiterra
    @WDW said:

" According to Phil Hester, the way the current story arc for Wonder Woman is being written is as I said. It's A self contained story about how she became Wonder Woman. Yes the timeline was changed but according to Phil the story is supposed to be taking place when Diana was like 20 years old. Since JMS left Superman and Wonder Woman abruptly I am thinking the other writers are a bit confused about what is going on and are just taking liberties with Wonder Woman without regard to her current story arc.

An example is when she just showed up in Superman 708.Continuity wise, If you are reading Wonder Woman 600 - 606 you will see there is no place in her current story for meeting Superman. It's pretty much and impossibility since she only began to fly, (while in Turkey) at the very end of 604 and arrives at home in New York directly from Turkey and does not leave New York again. No reason is given for her being in Nebraska at all.  Also the dialog did not make sense in Superman 708 since she was already doing hero stuff since she was 8 years old based on her current story arc. As I said, liberties are being taken by other writers who really don't understand the situation that is supposed to be going on with Wonder Woman. I blame JMS and DC comics for that.

Her showing up in Flash does not change anything because it could have been referring to any point during the altered time stream.

Phil Hester has stated for the record that he is not writing Wonder Woman with Flashpoint or JLA Generations lost in mind and that Wonder Woman is self contained origin story of sorts.

I guess once we finish Wonder Woman 612 we will finally know what truly happened.

"

I can't thank you enough for explaining all that. I've been scratching my head for months as to how I'm supposed to take the current Wonder Woman, struggling to put it in any kind of context. I'm sticking with it out of loyalty to WW, but I can't say I'm enjoying it very much (not even as a Superman Earth One-type story). Your explanations make things a little clearer and make me hopefuly that I'll be able to just ignore this run altogether once the noble, smart, strong and determined Diana that I love comes back. :) 

On topic, while it's true that the DCU hasn't changed much without WW, I wouldn't read too much into it. Honestly, I think that DC's other writers might have been just as puzzled as the readers and had no idea where the heck JMS was headed, so they just opted not to mention WW until they knew what was going on.

Anyway, mostly I wanted to say thanks for giving me a healthy and less head-scratchy way to frame the current run.

Celineness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#18  Edited By Celineness

An alternate explanation could be that the "JMS Superman" and "JMS Wonder Woman" occupy the same nonsensical alternate universe, so are able to interact just fine. Maybe DC is piling all the stupid JMS mess into a large black bag so they can toss the whole thing out into the trash in one go?

I see the bit in Superman 708 as dragging Supes into the crazy "please let this end soon" elseworld of "not-wonder woman", rather than her featuring in the world Supes supposedly occupies :)

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.