Follow

Wonder Woman

Character » Wonder Woman appears in 8809 issues.

The Amazon princess, blessed with god-like super abilities, Wonder Woman is one of Earth's most powerful defenders of peace, justice, and equality and a member of the Justice League. She is considered an archetype for many heroines outside of comic book. Her initial origin depicted her as a clay baby brought to life by patron goddess Aphrodite, but in recent years she has been depicted as the daughter of Zeus and Amazon queen Hippolyta.

Marston’s Granddaughter Denounces Professor Marston And The Wonder Women

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 9

#1  Edited By dernman

Christie Marston, the granddaughter of Dr. William Moulton Marston, has spoken out against Professor Marston and the Wonder Women, the movie ostensibly about the life of her grandfather and his polyamorous relationship with Elizabeth Holloway Marston and Olive Byrne. Marston has called the film “a work of fiction” that is “based on someone’s imagination,” and stated that the Marston family has nothing to do with the film in a series of tweets.

On October 9th, Marston tweeted an article from Vulture headlined “Professor Marston Director Defends Queer Interpretation: Were Elizabeth Holloway Marston And Olive Byrne Lovers? Angela Robinson Thinks It’s Open To Interpretation,” adding the comment:

Prof Marston & the Wonder Woman movie writer/director says it's NOT true, she made it up. https://t.co/ufisK130Ll

— Christie Marston (@ChristieMarston) October 13, 2017

She followed that up by tweeting some images referring to the movie’s “lies:”

This is SO wrong. Wonder Woman should be about Truth! pic.twitter.com/u5MxYiNLqt

#LassoTheTruthpic.twitter.com/w29UcFqUfC

— Christie Marston (@ChristieMarston) October 14, 2017

So what is the true story, then? Marston says that can be found in an article on Psychology Today headlined “The True Story of Wonder Woman’s Marston Ménage à Trois.”

The true story, as opposed to the made up movie story https://t.co/uBPhBgUkvp

And that article, which has spoilers if that concerns you, says:

Bill, Betty, and Dotsie did indeed live in a ménage à trois in the literal sense of the term: “household of three.” It was a household of three adults raising a family together. Could it have been a ménage à trois in the more commonly used meaning of the phrase, to refer to three-way sex acts? It could have. Maybe it was and maybe it was not, but my point is that absolutely no one knows. The upcoming motion picture Professor Marston and the Wonder Women not only indicates that it was but also that the two women enjoyed a sexual relation together apart from Bill as well.

Whether it’s truth or fiction, you still might enjoy the movie. Bleeding Cool gave it a good review, calling it “simply wonderful,” though the film isn’t exactly burning up the box office charts, making less than a million dollars — less than even Marvel’s Inhumans, the benchmark for poor box office returns.

So what do you think? Does it bother you that a film based on a true story might not actually be true? Or is it just the new normal in the era of fake news?

Nobody knows? Wouldn't the granddaughter know?

Anyway as I've said before the movie is probably full of it. They're just creating a movie and narrative out of nothing to milk the hype from Wonder Woman.

I'm not sure what the daughter said really happened as I haven't read Christie's link yet but I would give her more credit on what happened that any movie company. Especially considering it was said the director didn't really interview the family.

"Did you do interviews with surviving people who knew them, or members of the family?"

"Not extensively. I really made the decision early on that I didn’t want … I wanted to kind of be able to explore my own interpretation of what the story was."

Are you fracking kidding me?

Archizooom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Archizooom

So Christie Marston took to twitter to denounce the movie claiming that "the truth is much juicier", then linked to an article that says "no one knows the truth" #LassoTheTruth. That answers your question btw, she doesn't know

OrangeBat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@dernman said:

"Did you do interviews with surviving people who knew them, or members of the family?"
    "Not extensively. I really made the decision early on that I didn’t want … I wanted to kind of be able to explore my own interpretation of what the story was."

Are you fracking kidding me?

I think this cracked me up the most. This is straight-up fanfiction, like me making up a story about Phillip Seymour Hoffman being a secret superhero who fought government conspiracies while daylighting as an actor and was murdered by a three-fingered assassin named Frankie Goldberg when he was about to leak the truth about the Antarctic expeditions to Julian Assange. Not only is it insulting to the family, it's grounds for getting sued.

Yassassin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

That's probably means it's grossly inaccurate, or shit, or both.

I wasn't seeing it anyway.

Super-Wonder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

<p> I saw it, looking for the story of how Marston got into comics . . . .there wasn't any of that in there, unfortunately. </p>

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.