Follow

Wonder Woman

Character » Wonder Woman appears in 8808 issues.

The Amazon princess, blessed with god-like super abilities, Wonder Woman is one of Earth's most powerful defenders of peace, justice, and equality and a member of the Justice League. She is considered an archetype for many heroines outside of comic book. Her initial origin depicted her as a clay baby brought to life by patron goddess Aphrodite, but in recent years she has been depicted as the daughter of Zeus and Amazon queen Hippolyta.

Lets discuss Wonder Woman #46 "SPOILER"

Klaus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

So Zeus (technically Zeke) brought Donna back to life, turned her into the new fate, restored the Olympians to all their former glory, and now they are completely immortal, so not just hard to kill, but cannot be killed. Ares and Apollo are back to life, and I assume Hades is back also, though it didn't show him.

What does this mean for Wonder Woman and her title as the God of War? Will Ares try to take back his mantle? And will Apollo return as a villain in her mythos? Find out next time on Dragon Ball Z!!!!!!! (haha jokes)

Klaus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 1

Means Finch is pretty much backpeddling as fast as she can to unravel all the changes Azzarello made to the mythos.

If this is not just some illusion... since Ares didn't have eyes. (Actually, this reminds me, didn't Donna also have yellow eyes when she was under the influence?)

No Caption Provided

Avatar image for scorpio_cassadine
    SCORPIO_CASSADINE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Donna's eyes were light brown. After the universally negative reviews on fb and cbr I have no desire to read this issue.

Now Finch has undone all of Azzarello's run except the parts I hated the most, the daughter of Zeus origin and the murdering sex pirate Amazons. She can't do anything right.

Klaus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@outside_85: The Olympians can choose to look like whatever I believe as was seen in JLA when Poseidon looked human like instead of a giant frog, and when Athena created Zola, and Zeus became Zeke, and FB changed his appearance several times, and Artemis and Apollo have shown two forms each. Even WW has different eyes without bracers. Also I vaguely remember an interview with Azzarello in which he and CHiang talked about the weird look of the gods, and they said that their bodys are just like clothing to them, it changes depending on their mood. Hera has done this once when she threatened Orion also.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@klaus: I am aware of all of that (save the Poseidon appearing as a human), my point is that despite them being able to change shape, the two here appear in forms they have previously worn over long periods of time. So why on the dawn of his ressurrection does Ares decide to grow eyes when we know for a fact that he does need any to see?

Also, yeah, this is the same thing as with Donna.

No Caption Provided

So I kinda expect Hecate to be involved in this as well, Hades probably isn't back because he'd not allow souls being taking out of his realm without permission.

Klaus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@outside_85: I never saw it as Ares not having eyes, I just saw it as him having black eyes, the same as Apollo having orange eyes and WW having completely blue eyes in god mode.

And by "coming back" I meant as in back to life. After all FB did seemingly kill Hades and trap his soul in Tartarus.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@klaus said:

@outside_85: I never saw it as Ares not having eyes, I just saw it as him having black eyes, the same as Apollo having orange eyes and WW having completely blue eyes in god mode.

And by "coming back" I meant as in back to life. After all FB did seemingly kill Hades and trap his soul in Tartarus.

Well those two makes sense to me because Apollo and Diana radiated energy when they were in god-mode, one because he is a sun god and the other because she's somehow channeling lightning. Ares however doesn't have the kind of radiance the other two have, or never took a form like that, neither did Poseidon or Hades.

CSG_CL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By CSG_CL

@klaus said:

Well those two makes sense to me because Apollo and Diana radiated energy when they were in god-mode, one because he is a sun god and the other because she's somehow channeling lightning. Ares however doesn't have the kind of radiance the other two have, or never took a form like that, neither did Poseidon or Hades.

Hades head literally radiated the fires of hell. Diana's eyes are nearly identical to how Zeus' eyes were portrayed too

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@csg_cl: It was just a couple of candles, not the pit of damnation :)

CSG_CL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@csg_cl: It was just a couple of candles, not the pit of damnation :)

It's every bit as definitive as some glowing eyes

No Caption Provided

Archizooom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Archizooom

This issue started off well, I truly thought Finch was on to something but unfortunately then it devolved into a slapdash convoluted mess which is a shame, she had 1 really good idea and she squandered it.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@csg_cl: Still only a couple of candles.

Anyways my point is that Ares came in two forms that we know of, neither of them had eyes or even eyelids and I dont belive they were just completely black, because if they had been, there would have been some reflection of light in them; like Hades' armor, Orion's pants or Strife's sunglasses. The only other option would be that his eyes were in such a shade of black that they actually sucked light into them, like that material they recently found or made (which was a bit like sand but so dark you couldn't see that it was a pile even in a brightly lit room).

CSG_CL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@csg_cl: Still only a couple of candles.

Anyways my point is that Ares came in two forms that we know of, neither of them had eyes or even eyelids and I dont belive they were just completely black, because if they had been, there would have been some reflection of light in them; like Hades' armor, Orion's pants or Strife's sunglasses. The only other option would be that his eyes were in such a shade of black that they actually sucked light into them, like that material they recently found or made (which was a bit like sand but so dark you couldn't see that it was a pile even in a brightly lit room).

I agree with your point about Ares eyes, Chiang's version looked distinctly eyeless. My point is that Hades appearing without the candles lit was to illustrate his death, thus they are clearly distinctive features. More than a "couple of candles", they are illustrative of his character just as Ares eyelessness.

Klaus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@outside_85: @csg_cl: Either way, such a minor change is hardly anything to complain about. No one complained about Wonder Woman having distinctive glowing blue eyes, yet clearly with a visible iris and pupil in Superman: Doomed, contrary to Superman/WW and WW where it is just completely bright blue with no pupils or iris.

Another explanation is that this Ares with visible eyes is what he looked like when in his prime. As we know the Olympians haven't been at full power for thousands of years, ever since people stopped believing in them and the fates. Even compared to when he was teaching the young Diana, he still wasn't that muscly and appeared to be aging. Now he looks very buffed and much younger. He also looks more powerful considering they are now back to full power. Same with Apollo, he looks more ripped and powerful.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@klaus said:

@outside_85: @csg_cl: Either way, such a minor change is hardly anything to complain about. No one complained about Wonder Woman having distinctive glowing blue eyes, yet clearly with a visible iris and pupil in Superman: Doomed, contrary to Superman/WW and WW where it is just completely bright blue with no pupils or iris.

Another explanation is that this Ares with visible eyes is what he looked like when in his prime. As we know the Olympians haven't been at full power for thousands of years, ever since people stopped believing in them and the fates. Even compared to when he was teaching the young Diana, he still wasn't that muscly and appeared to be aging. Now he looks very buffed and much younger. He also looks more powerful considering they are now back to full power. Same with Apollo, he looks more ripped and powerful.

The bolded part is from Finch's run I guess? Because it certainly wasn't mentioned in Azzarello's run.

Regarding how buff he looks... I think thats just down to the artist.

Anyways, till I see otherwise, I am going to stick with the theory that the odd eye-colors in both Donna and Ares are indicators of someone else influencing them.

Avatar image for darknightspideyfanboy
    darknightspideyfanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Why *sigh* this writer suck her husband art is wasted on her

Klaus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@outside_85: Yeah its from Finches run. She explained that the only reason Wonder Woman was able to kill Ares, was because the Olympians were weakened and no longer immortal. This was because people stopped believing in them. Now that Zeus has tied their fates to the Earth and not humans, they no longer need people to believe in them to gain power, so now they are back at full strength and immortal again. Hence why the gods who were killed by First Born are alive again.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d3f071d30d9f
    deactivated-5d3f071d30d9f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

So it was "Oh no Donna Troy is dead, to revive her in next issue." plotline.

CSG_CL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@klaus said:

I think you are mistaking (at least for me, don't want to speak for @outside_85) "complaint" with theorizing. I am wondering if this was a deliberate change to the features of the character because of some plot point that will later come up. Perhaps I'm giving the Finchs too much credit here, but then again, maybe there is a reason beyond artistic license for Ares eyes to have changed.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@klaus said:

@outside_85: Yeah its from Finches run. She explained that the only reason Wonder Woman was able to kill Ares, was because the Olympians were weakened and no longer immortal. This was because people stopped believing in them. Now that Zeus has tied their fates to the Earth and not humans, they no longer need people to believe in them to gain power, so now they are back at full strength and immortal again. Hence why the gods who were killed by First Born are alive again.

Well hurray for retcons then... because that was certainly not what was mentioned a number of times during the previous run.

CSG_CL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@klaus said:

When did this happen? I don't recall reading it, can you point me to the issue please? From Azzarello's run it was pretty clear that Diana could kill him because she too was an Olympian (thus First Born was a threat to all the Olympians).

Klaus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Klaus

@csg_cl said:
    @klaus said:

When did this happen? I don't recall reading it, can you point me to the issue please? From Azzarello's run it was pretty clear that Diana could kill him because she too was an Olympian (thus First Born was a threat to all the Olympians).

It happened in Wonder Woman #44 when Hera appeared to Diana in the mirror.

She said "The Fates were the key to the immortality of the gods.As people stopped believing in us as deities, the Fates aged, and we've gotten weaker, more vulnerable. That's why you were able to kill Ares."

CSG_CL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@klaus said:
    @csg_cl said:
    @klaus said:

It happened in Wonder Woman #44 when Hera appeared to Diana in the mirror.

She said "The Fates were the key to the immortality of the gods.As people stopped believing in us as deities, the Fates aged, and we've gotten weaker, more vulnerable. That's why you were able to kill Ares."

Thanks ... one more poorly written retcon ... really looking forward to a new creative team on WW

arkhamace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By arkhamace

in my opinion its not that bad. in azzarello's run everybody has the chance to learn about the gods and now we learn more about the process but what about the "new gods" ? does they have a god of fate or does the fates relate to them? if so is darkseid now immortal and will resurrect in justice league? what about first born? what about the god killers? is diana now immortal?

Joanna32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hoping a new team comes in.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.