Follow

Thor

Character » Thor appears in 8603 issues.

Thor Odinson is the All-father of Asgard /God of Thunder, offspring of All-Father Odin & Elder-Goddess Gaea. Combining the powers of both realms makes him an elder-god hybrid and a being of no perceivable limits. Armed with his enchanted Uru hammer Mjolnir which helps him to channel his godly energies. The mightiest and the most beloved warrior in all of Asgard, a staunch ally for good and one of the most powerful beings in the multiverse/omniverse. Thor is also a founding member of the Avengers.

*I Know Thor: The Dark World's Storyline*

novi_homines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By novi_homines

I think so.

Before I begin I would like to touch on something. A few weeks ago I had deduced that Ultron would be the villain for The Avengers 2, a few weeks before the announcement was officially made. Now you may think that this wasn't special, there were many guesses about who the villain would be. But not many, if not no one, thought Ultron be the villain. Many thought it would be Thanos or a group of villains from other marvel films. But I actually came to my conclusion after the picture Vin Deisel posted to facebook after his meeting with marvel. The picture was attached with a comment saying, "you know I get tunnel vision with my work". While people continued to speculate on whether or not that meant that he was playing Vision, I took that as a definite sign that he was going to play the character, that was clear as day to me. But I took it a step further, I thought that it revealed something far greater at the time, it was then that I realized with 100% certainty that Ultron would be the villain for Avengers 2. Due to that one comment he attached with the picture at marvel he uploaded on facebook. Check out the above link to the thread I created explaining in detail how I got to that conclusion.

It's interesting looking back at that thread because I got a comment saying "how does hank pym fit into your theory?". It was an excellent question from @v_scarlotte_rose that I had to ponder for a second. And I simply replied saying "he doesn't". Because after analyzing the situation I couldn't see him being part of the film. Lo and behold, Joss Whedon revealed that Hank Pym wouldn't be a part of the origin story for Ultron. Now that is scary, even for me.

But now here comes another small piece of information about thor the dark world that I believe has again revealed something greater about Thor: The Dark World, if not everything about the film. Now before I dive into this, I would just like to point out that there might be SPOILERS. I say might because none of this is confirmed. But if I happen to be right like last time, it DEFINITELY could ruin the movie watching experience, as I had realized when coming to the realization of the story of this movie. So without further adieu, i'll get into the storyline for thor the dark world.

I'll start by saying something that has already been revealed on some sites, but not to all. It is a slight spoiler (even though I think it's to be expected), so if you don't want to know, turn around now! So it was revealed that Loki chops of Thor's hand. This was shown at SDCC '13 and many sites including comicvine I think, gave details of the footage revealing that. It is this that revealed much of what Thor 2 is to me. Although i've known this for a while, I actually saw it earlier today, and for some reason, it revealed a lot to me. 1, it revealed that loki betrays thor. Naturally people who've heard this have guessed that it may have been a plan by thor and loki to fool malekith and trump him somehow. But Loki said something that not many people who were there revealed. He said, "all I ask is for earth to be destroyed", as a bargain to malekith. Loki follows by cutting thors hand.The way he cut thors hand off was with anger. This was a TRUE backstabbing, not a fake one. Loki and Malekith have made a deal.

One thing to note about the dismemberment scene is, as we've seen by the trailers, thor falling to his knees powerless against malekith. Jane was levitated by malekith, and thor screams out saying "nooo" and lifts his right hand out. I'm guessing the extension SDCC 13 viewers saw was Loki coming to thor, pulling out a knife, and chopping off thor's hand to hamper if not kill, his mjolnir use. This is extremely important because Jane is vulnurable. She is on the verge of being killed by Malekith, and Thor is seemingly powerless to do anything due to loki's backstabbing and chopping off his right hand, as well as jane's position in the enemy's hands. Thor walked into a trap. A trap clearly set up by loki. And since thor is powerless to save jane, I come to my first conclusion and possible major spoiler, Jane Foster dies in this film.

Loki's backstabbing called back other things to me that is key to my reasoning. At the end of the first Thor 2 trailer, thor tells loki that if he betrays thor, he'll kill him. At the middle of the second thor 2 trailer, Volstagg tells Loki that if he betrays thor, he'll kill him. After that, Sif also stopped to tell loki that if he betrays thor, she'll kill him. Count that, 3 characters have told Loki that they'll kill him if he betrays thor, and he did. This is no coincidence, and I believe this is actually masterful foreshadowing on Alan Taylor's part, which is also often seen in Game of Thrones, which he has also directed. So this leads me to my last massive spoiler. Loki, ladies and gentlemen, will be killed off in Thor: The Dark World. Both Loki and Jane Foster are casualties in this film. Not too shocking when you hear put within this explanation huh? But did you honestly think this would happen prior to reading this? Given how much of a fanbase loki has? which leads me to my next point.

So after Jane dies, Thor goes into this rage of anger and kills loki in the process. So yes, Loki will die at the hands of Thor. You can already hear the glee of Man of Steel fans waiting to feast on that huh? As i've said numerous times, superman killing zod wasn't an issue for me in the film. But back on track, I don't think, (or maybe I hope it doesn't) play out exactly like this. Loki has an EXTREMELY large fanbase, and even though he's a villain, this isn't the proper way to go for a character of his magnitude. An alternative scenario could be that malekith also backstabs loki, and refuses his offer at the last minute because he got what he wanted, a weakened Thor. After Malekith has killed Jane, he reveals to loki that he has no care for his deal, and sicks his elf army, as well as the present kurse, on loki and thor. I'm guessing they both fight kurse and the elves in an epic action scene. But with thor weakened, and loki not strong enough to fight heavy hitters to begin with, they become overwhelmed. Loki comes up with a plan to sacrifice himself, in order to ensure thor's freedom. With a line from loki telling thor to make sure he ends this madness of Malekith using his dark matter to take over all of the nine realms. They lock eyes, thor escapes, and loki dies heroically. Thor is motivated to defeat malekith, and thor saves the universe from this dark matter

Everyone is happy. Thor fans aren't either mad about thor being a wimp by not actually following through with his promise by not killing loki for backstabbing him AGAIN, or for actually killing someone in such a brutal fashion, which he would have done in his mental state at that mental moment of jane dying. And loki fans (mostly girls) can be somewhat satisfied with loki dying heroically. Everyone is happy. But regardless of how it plays out, this meeting/ trap scene will DEFINITELY be heart wrenching and filled with drama. Game of Thrones style drama! Drama that only a thor movie directed by Alan Taylor can pull off! This is why it is now also clear to me that Thor: The Dark World will definitely be the best comic book movie of 2013. And could quite possibly be the best cbm story ever made.

There's one last thing to say on the whole loki situation. There have been rumors of reshoots of the film going on, and why this film seems to be in a bit of disarray so close to release. Here's what Alan Taylor had to say on those rumors.

"We were doing full scenes; scenes that were not in the movie before, we're adding scenes, creating scenes, writing scenes for the first time. The one [involving Loki] was a fun connective scene that was just... we realized how well Loki was working in the movie. So, we wanted to do more with him. So it was that kind of thing; it was like 'oh we could do this or jam this in here' because he's just a wonderful guy to watch do his stuff. And boy do [the fans love him]." Link

Interesting huh? Seems as though after loki's fan dominance since SDCC, marvel realized just how much people love loki. And with their knowledge of him dying in Thor 2, they're trying to make the backlash as little as possible, by "doing more with him" as Taylor said, in order to make the fans a little more happy. Judging by how rabbid loki fans are, wouldn't you take the same precaution? And that's the conclusion of my thoughts on thor: the dark world's storyline. I hope you liked it! Let me know what you think, if you think i'm right on target, or way off. On a last note, i'll leave the latest Thor: The Dark World Trailer for you to see. After reading this, you just might make the same connections I did. It almost like watching it through a new set of eyes.

phisigmatau

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am saddened by the chopping off of Thor's hand because i want him to be super durable. anyway... goood idea.. that is pretty gut wrenching.. we'll see

@novi_homines

thanks for the write up man, i enjoy your posts.

novi_homines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am saddened by the chopping off of Thor's hand because i want him to be super durable. anyway... goood idea.. that is pretty gut wrenching.. we'll see

@novi_homines

Thanks for reading! =)

HaveAtThee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By HaveAtThee

@novi_homines

Movie version Thor is MUCH weaker than the comic book incarnation.

phisigmatau

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@phisigmatau said:

@novi_homines

I disagree strongly.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

I don't see this as a strong probability for occuring. As you said, Tom Hiddleston has gathered a large fanbase as Loki and garnered a great deal of popularity. It'd be far too soon to kill him off in the sequel when there's so much story telling potential for him in the third film. Not to mention the backlash it could cause if not done right. But I can see Jane dying in this film. Still, this is just conjecture, nothing more. There's no solid proof you have for this theory either. Ultron was a suitable guess for your Avengers 2 villain but Loki and Jane dying is something you have to read a little deeper for to find possible connections there.

cameron83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By cameron83

@haveatthee said:

@phisigmatau said:

@novi_homines

I disagree strongly.

...I think that it's true,though...movie versions of characters are usually nothing in comparison of power or skill compared to their comic book counterpart.usually.

phisigmatau

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By phisigmatau

@cameron83 said:

@phisigmatau said:

@haveatthee said:

@phisigmatau said:

@novi_homines

I disagree strongly.

...I think that it's true,though...movie versions of characters are usually nothing in comparison of power or skill compared to their comic book counterpart.usually.

Some of the X-men (Xavier, Collossus, Beast, Jean Grey, Blade, Punisher, Spider-Man (Tobey and Amazing version's) Batman (Nolan's), Wolverine, Hulk (both), Man Of Steel, and yes Thor did not lose a ton of power in the their movie forms.

Thor is closer to his "avengers" form in the comics. In reality most bad guys the Avengers face, Thor should be able to one shot. So alot of the comics weaken/dumb down Thor. Especially, specifically the one's where he is an Avenger. So what I'm saying is MCU Thor is the same to me as "Avengers" Thor. Which is a weaker, version but a common version in the film. Let's face it- Thor shoulda been able to due what the nuclear bomb did to the Chitauri army.

But MCU Thor really has yet to be even challenged in battle.

novi_homines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By novi_homines

Maybe we'll see that this time around =P

MakkyD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By MakkyD

The Jane Foster dying rumour is pretty common...and old :/

Never heard of the Loki one, but the backlash from the fanbase would be enough to stop that from happening, i think.

cameron83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

@phisigmatau said:

Also,this seems like an interesting theory. Awesome also

novi_homines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@novi_homines said:

@phisigmatau said:

Also,this seems like an interesting theory. Awesome also

Thanks! I appreciate it.

HaveAtThee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cameron83 said:

@phisigmatau said:

@haveatthee said:

@phisigmatau said:

@novi_homines

I disagree strongly.

Some of the X-men (Xavier, Collossus, Beast, Jean Grey, Blade, Punisher, Spider-Man (Tobey and Amazing version's) Batman (Nolan's), Wolverine, Hulk (both), Man Of Steel, and yes Thor did not lose a ton of power in the their movie forms.

Thor is closer to his "avengers" form in the comics. In reality most bad guys the Avengers face, Thor should be able to one shot. So alot of the comics weaken/dumb down Thor. Especially, specifically the one's where he is an Avenger. So what I'm saying is MCU Thor is the same to me as "Avengers" Thor. Which is a weaker, version but a common version in the film. Let's face it- Thor shoulda been able to due what the nuclear bomb did to the Chitauri army.

I can buy that logic, but movie Thor is considerably less durable and strong than his comic book or even animated counterpart. Some of those blows he landed on Iron Man in their skirmish should've taken his head off. While Loki was shown as being bulletproof in the opening scene, Thor was shown dodging bullets right after his fight with the Hulk.

Either way, I'm eagerly anticipating a powerful threat to Thor in the sequel. Malekith and Kurse are great villains and can greatly confound Thor in both brutality and evil-handedness.

Avatar image for martianmanhunterisbetterthancy
    MartianManhunterIsBetterThanCyborg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

cool theory

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.