Follow

Superman

Character » Superman appears in 18942 issues.

Sent to Earth as an infant from the dying planet Krypton, Kal-El was adopted by the loving Kent family and raised in America's heartland as Clark Kent. Using his immense solar-fueled powers, he became Superman to defend mankind against all manner of threats while championing truth, justice, and the American way!

No One Likes Superman Any More (and how I'd change that)

• 74 results
    Primmaster64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#51  Edited By Primmaster64
    @Jekylhyde14: You need a talented writer to write Superman.
    HolySerpent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#52  Edited By HolySerpent

I am to lazy to read all of that

kingjoeg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

#53  Edited By kingjoeg

Just get Scott Snyder to write superman. Then Superman will be awesome again.

DIOMJK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 48

#54  Edited By DIOMJK

@kingjoeg: But then Superman would be an amazingly written Horror comic... I'm ok with this.

@HolySerpent: And why would you think I care?

kingjoeg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#55  Edited By kingjoeg

@DIOMJK: Scott Snyder's Batman isn't a horror comic. So if he did Superman it wouldn't be horror.

DIOMJK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By DIOMJK

@kingjoeg: Well that's a bit debatable. I'd say the past 2 issues of Batman have very much been including very grotesque themes that at least push it into the vicinity of being Horror, though it's a bit iffy whether or not it can be flat out defined as such I guess. I'm still loving the series, though, and I agree Snyder's take of Superman would at least be interesting, and certainly wouldn't be boring.

Avatar image for deactivated-60ae841330527
    deactivated-60ae841330527

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Its Ironic that I found Smallville Lex one of the best incarnations, because found all of the other villains relatively unimpressive compared to their comic counterparts. I think Superman is fine, they need to reinvent his villains. Lex' "I'm going to kill you to show you're not better than me" attitude has gotten very boring. And the cartoon movie versions of Lex made me sick, it was like watching a 7 year old at times.

jeanroygrant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By jeanroygrant

@Psyron said:

He lacks superdickery in the modern age that's why its no fun anymore

Avatar image for buttersdaman000
    buttersdaman000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By buttersdaman000

@jeanroygrant said:

@Psyron said:

lol this

and silver age wacky adventures, without the silver age corniness

Primmaster64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By Primmaster64

Snyder has said that he would like to write Superman. So...yeah.

DIOMJK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By DIOMJK

@Primmaster64: I love Snyder, so even though the tone would be... pretty interesting I know it would be great.

My 2nd choice would have been Jeff Lemire, since I feel that the tone he's set on Frankenstein Agent of S.H.A.D.E. would be pretty cool for Superman, but then I read his run on Superboy and feel it was okay at best

Primmaster64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By Primmaster64
    @DIOMJK: Snyder might just write the Sci-Fi part of Superman
    DIOMJK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By DIOMJK

@Primmaster64: That alone would be great. They should do what Geoff Johns did with Green Lantern, and turn his focus onto a certain genre (like Sci-fi), instead of sticking him anywhere they need a Deus Ex Machina

batmanary

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By batmanary

The best way to explore Superman and make him more relateable is to take advantage of the fact that he has a dual identity. Superman should be switched to Morrison...let him deal with the crazy adventures of Superman, and Action should go to George Perez....and focus on Clark Kent. Show him on the job, reporting against Intergang....going into Iraq, Afghanistan, dealing with the fact that he can't always make the news. That would beautifully create both a fun Superman, and a relevant Clark Kent.

DIOMJK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By DIOMJK

@batmanary: I agree. Most people just give the stock "Superman is the mask for Clark Kent" line, but they never really explore it. I'd imagine Grant Morrison may be doing something like this later on, and he should do the main title, but I think after issue 16 of Action comics he's leaving the title ( I think Didio probably begged morrison to work his magic on the title, doesn't seem like his usual gig), so no hope there. Fortunately George Perez accepted the backlash over the title gracefully and left the title, I think (not sure) Dan Jurgens is doing it now, but after reading recent Green Arrow i'm not optimistic

batmanary

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By batmanary

@DIOMJK said:

@batmanary: I agree. Most people just give the stock "Superman is the mask for Clark Kent" line, but they never really explore it. I'd imagine Grant Morrison may be doing something like this later on, and he should do the main title, but I think after issue 16 of Action comics he's leaving the title ( I think Didio probably begged morrison to work his magic on the title, doesn't seem like his usual gig), so no hope there. Fortunately George Perez accepted the backlash over the title gracefully and left the title, I think (not sure) Dan Jurgens is doing it now, but after reading recent Green Arrow i'm not optimistic

Yeah but I think Jurgens can handle Supes. He is a Supes vet, after all. I just think that it's completely bonkers that no one chose to further explore Clark Kent, beyond that whole Up, Up and Away arc in the One Year Later stories. One title should focus on Clark Kent, as a man, not as a superhero. It should have other heroes in it, and He's basically just covering the whole bit. Being a journalist isn't easy, and it would not only help make for some interesting stories, but actually highlight the cast of the Daily Planet, establishing them in the eyes of new readers.

Zdaybreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#67  Edited By Zdaybreak

Hire him, DC.

Superguy0009e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#68  Edited By Superguy0009e

the problem with Supes is he is just too good of a guy to do anything crazy, the reason why his "Death" worked so well is because he was fighting to save people, if you really want to see good story, make him question his ethics and make him make hard decisions. somethings are black and white, there is grayness in the world

batmanary

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By batmanary

@Shotgun said:

Hire him, DC.

Hire who?

@Superguy0009e said:

the problem with Supes is he is just too good of a guy to do anything crazy, the reason why his "Death" worked so well is because he was fighting to save people, if you really want to see good story, make him question his ethics and make him make hard decisions. somethings are black and white, there is grayness in the world

I don't think that necessarily makes for a good story, since you'd need a great writer to pull it off, like when Alex Ross and Paul Dini (I think) collaborated on a Supes comic.

Zdaybreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By Zdaybreak

@batmanary: the OP

batmanary

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By batmanary

@Shotgun said:

@batmanary: the OP

Honestly, right? His ideas are actually good.

DIOMJK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By DIOMJK

@batmanary: I'm just not optimistic, but my only experience with Jurgens was Green Arrow, minus maybe a few stories I din't find memorable he might have done. I'll give him a chance, but I'm not quite hopeful as you might be.

@Shotgun: thank you very much (as an aspiring comic writer I really appreciate this). Eventually when I work on my current original ideas a bit more I'll ultimately post them here, so (shameless self plugging based on the most insignificant of comments) follow.

Zdaybreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By Zdaybreak

@DIOMJK said:

@batmanary: I'm just not optimistic, but my only experience with Jurgens was Green Arrow, minus maybe a few stories I din't find memorable he might have done. I'll give him a chance, but I'm not quite hopeful as you might be.

@Shotgun: thank you very much (as an aspiring comic writer I really appreciate this). Eventually when I work on my current original ideas a bit more I'll ultimately post them here, so (shameless self plugging based on the most insignificant of comments) follow.

And I can't wait to read them. I love the way you point things out and explain yourself. This thread has been a really entertaining eye-opener.

Hoboseid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By Hoboseid

@Psyron said:

Superboy Prime however is dickery to the EXTREME

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.