Follow

Stan Lee

Person » Stan Lee is credited in 4979 issues.

Stan "The Man" Lee, Marvel Comics's legendary founder, is the writer and co-creator of such timeless characters as the Avengers, the X-Men, Spider-Man, Iron Man, the Fantastic Four, and the Hulk. In his words, "'Nuff said!" His best-known catch-phrase is New York's state motto, "Excelsior!!!"

What is Stan Lee's opinion on Superman Becoming Marvel? Here

• 54 results
    DEGRAAF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By DEGRAAF

SDCC ‘09: Roundtable Interview With Stan Lee 

July 24, 2009 | by Kofi Outlaw 

Me: “Just off the top of my head: in 2013 Superman becomes a free agent…the heirs of Jerry Siegel and Joe Shuster [the creators of Superman] will own the full copyrights to the character. Any plans on snatching him up for the Marvel Universe?”

Stan Lee:“Oooo… have Superman be part of the Marvel Universe? [Pointing at me] I like this guy! I had never really thought of it… See I’m with Marvel but I’m not really part of the Marvel decision making team…I think my title is “Chairman Emeritus,” which…doesn’t really mean much…To prove they haven’t forgotten me I get these cameos in the movies which is kinda nice, and people still come to the movies, but…it’s nice.”

Me: “But you’re still the magic, so…”

Stan Lee: “And don’t you forget it!” 

k Kofi even states this is no news, but why do you thikn he was trying to avoid the question is my first thought. 
    he has to have pull, he could retire and he would still have pull. Is he just tryin to keep their aggenda a secret on that subject?  
    To say i was expecting a straight answer would be lying i just wish someone who would like to remain annonomys at that time would shine some light on this subject 

No_Name_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By No_Name_

That would be crazy, but I see DC figuring out a way to get around that

Stryke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Stryke

I don't think I would like Superman in Marvel...because then they'd just completely wash him so that he doesn't have people like Lois and Supergirl because they aren't property of Marvel...he would be, lonely.....unless they figure something out.

Anyways, I just don't want to see Superman in Marvel.

DEGRAAF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By DEGRAAF
    @Stryke said:
    "I don't think I would like Superman in Marvel...because then they'd just completely wash him so that he doesn't have people like Lois and Supergirl because they aren't property of Marvel...he would be, lonely.....unless they figure something out.  Anyways, I just don't want to see Superman in Marvel. "

he could find a new gf and he would have all these other super people around he wouldnt need a cousin from krypton, dont get me wrong like her but she is not needed
    Editman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By Editman

It would be a huge gain for marvel, especially since most regular people can't distinguish Marvel and DC anyway

deathswitch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By deathswitch
    @DEGRAAF said:
    " @Stryke said:
    "I don't think I would like Superman in Marvel...because then they'd just completely wash him so that he doesn't have people like Lois and Supergirl because they aren't property of Marvel...he would be, lonely.....unless they figure something out.  Anyways, I just don't want to see Superman in Marvel. "
    he could find a new gf and he would have all these other super people around he wouldnt need a cousin from krypton, dont get me wrong like her but she is not needed "
    he doesnt belong in marvel 
    dc will keep him
    Madros

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Madros
    @Editman said:
    " It would be a huge gain for marvel, especially since most regular people can't distinguish Marvel and DC anyway "
    I think most fans would resent Marvel for taking Superman. 

I just see it as disrespectful, stealing DC's biggest hero.
    RaptorFratBoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By RaptorFratBoy

Superman, in no way, shape, or form is going to Marvel. Ever. I don't know the legal details, I don't need to. I just do NOT see this happening seeing as Superman is a multi-media property tied-up in Warner Bros., and those guys will fight to the death before seeing anyone else take it away from them. 

And to debunk your conspiracy theory, Stan Lee has ZERO INPUT OR FEEDBACK into or from Marvel Comics, period. If they want him to contribute to a comic, they'll give "The Man" a call, or like he said, put him in a movie. The fact of the matter is, Stan Lee may have ushered-in Marvel as we know it, but it's just not his anymore. At All. So saying he's trying to cover-up Marvel's so-called motivations to acquire Superman is pretty silly. If this was Joe Quesada, Jeph Loeb, Bendis, Dan Buckly, or some other ACTUAL higher-up at Marvel, that would be one thing. But as far as Stan's concerned on this issue, his opinion means as much going forward as yours or mine, besdies creatively, of course. Because I'm sure he'd love to write the character someday, and I'm not talking his own version, either.

DEGRAAF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By DEGRAAF
    @Madros said:
    " @Editman said:
    " It would be a huge gain for marvel, especially since most regular people can't distinguish Marvel and DC anyway "
    I think most fans would resent Marvel for taking Superman.  I just see it as disrespectful, stealing DC's biggest hero. "

they would resent for a little bit but the majority of fans would get over it after a  couple of months 

@RaptorFratBoy said:
    "Superman, in no way, shape, or form is going to Marvel. Ever. I don't know the legal details, I don't need to. I just do NOT see this happening seeing as Superman is a multi-media property tied-up in Warner Bros., and those guys will fight to the death before seeing anyone else take it away from them.   And to debunk your conspiracy theory, Stan Lee has ZERO INPUT OR FEEDBACK into or from Marvel Comics, period. If they want him to contribute to a comic, they'll give "The Man" a call, or like he said, put him in a movie. The fact of the matter is, Stan Lee may have ushered-in Marvel as we know it, but it's just not his anymore. At All. So saying he's trying to cover-up Marvel's so-called motivations to acquire Superman is pretty silly. If this was Joe Quesada, Jeph Loeb, Bendis, Dan Buckly, or some other ACTUAL higher-up at Marvel, that would be one thing. But as far as Stan's concerned on this issue, his opinion means as much going forward as yours or mine, besdies creatively, of course. Because I'm sure he'd love to write the character someday, and I'm not talking his own version, either. "

im not saying he calls the shots, im just saying he is very looked up to and respected and they will ask for his opinion on it, but i think it is a no brainer. if they get the chance they should go for it. i actually want him to stay with DC but i think it is a great business opportunity. i wouldnt give up on superman comics if he got moved to marvel tho
    G'bandit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By G'bandit

Gotta love Stan's attitude lol

Sups in Marvel...Well It be interesting to see a few things...

No Caption Provided

Nuff said :P
    burr787

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By burr787

It's not going to happen. Superman also doesn't belong in the Marvel Universe in any way.

_Sojourn_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

#12  Edited By _Sojourn_

if superman went to marvel...all hell would brake loose..I mean how many imaginary battles have there been with Hulk and Supes, and for it to be real (or as real as a comic can be) it just wouldn't be a good idea 

then you have to think about Thor, and Sentry...
    The_Martian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#13  Edited By The_Martian

DC will end up buying the writes. They couldn't last long without Superman.

blade hunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

#14  Edited By blade hunter

at the end of the day it all comes down to the siegel and shuster familys if marvel offer them more money than DC they could make a deal with Marvel and then become some of the most hated people on earth for doing that or they could just piss everyone off and say they dont want superman appearing in comics and not sell him to any one but i highly dout thay would do that.
    blade hunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

#15  Edited By blade hunter
    @Nobody said:
    "DC will end up buying the writes. They couldn't last long without Superman. "

they would still have the countless batman titles but yeah they would loose millions
    MrDirector786

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#16  Edited By MrDirector786

Honestly, I really hope that DC finds a way around this. Superman is the face of DC Comics. They need him. They can't lose him over some stupid money problems.

Citizen 14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Citizen 14

Wow. If DC losses him, they are screwed. 
    I'd be fine with this. haha. At least there wouldn't be Superboy-Prime coming with him. 
    Man... Supes vs. Sentry. Epic.

Avatar image for breaker_envoy_of_setron
    Breaker envoy of Setron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not really... Batman is DC's big boy.. What does DC stands for? Detective comics. What is Batman? A detective.. What is Superman? A brute alien..

Batman is loved in all ways: Comics, Games, Movies, Series, Toys.. 

Sups failed in Games, Failed in movies and only succeeded in the Smallville series.. 

The thing that keeps superman alive is that he is an iconic character really  

But I do agree that DC should keep his man of steel because its linked to a lot of things, the DC Universe would suffer a lot in the cannon storylines with out him

The_Ghostshell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By The_Ghostshell
    @Breaker envoy of Setron said:
    "Not really... Batman is DC's big boy"

I was just saying this to someone the other day.
    Avatar image for kingdom_come_suit_tie
    Kingdom-Come-Suit&Tie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think it would be ok for like a mini series or something but not permenant.

santeria_smith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By santeria_smith

if it happens oh well. shit happens. it will be weird indeed. but hell if DC can't keep one of their main characters then shit. that sucks. marvel gets em' then damn. go them. but still it will be weird seeing the man of steel in the marvel universe....very weird.... least i can finally see some canon superman vs. hulk...or sentry.

MrDirector786

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#22  Edited By MrDirector786

This is what will happen if Superman fights Hulk...

No Caption Provided

And this is what will happen if Superman fights the Sentry......

No Caption Provided
    Chaos Agent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Chaos Agent

you forgot Superman vs Thor!

No Caption Provided
    Aronmorales

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Aronmorales

Superman needs to stay DC.
    He is one of the biggest characters they've got, there is no WAY he should go to Marvel.

Psyker star

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#25  Edited By Psyker star

Super man would f up the entire marvel u but would he be with the avengers or a member of hammer.
    and would kriptonite come with him cause other wise then they would need to get the Silver surfer to shut him down

Aronmorales

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Aronmorales

What would happen to the DC universe if he left?

Chaos Agent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Chaos Agent

why would Superman be in HAMMER?

Slinger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Slinger

The main thing people have to realize is that even if Marvel bought the rights to Superman (doubtful,) they would be under no compunction to keep him exactly as he is now in the DC Universe, and would do whatever was necessary to mold the character into something that fits into their world. If Superman went to Marvel he would undergo a massive reduction in power level and would end up in space where he would fit in just fine with cosmics the likes of Nova, the Guardians of the Galaxy, etc. Or, even if they wanted to keep his powers as they are, Marvel could just start a completely different line of Superman comics that is aside from the Marvel Universe. Marvel publishes plenty of books that aren't a part of their universe, and could do the same with Superman.

Stan Lee doesn't have much to do with Marvel at all anymore, and it's doubtful he has any say on the possible acquisition, so his opinion on the matter is pretty much moot.

TruePwnge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By TruePwnge

They could lease the character on contract for about 6 months

Marvel get to shake up their universe and pay DC for use of the character
    DC get to make money
    and all the big bean counters are happy

but not the fans, I think Marvel has enough Superman style characters, the lack of Superman characters, the down to earth characters, the anti-heroes that's what made Marvel interesting
    last thing the need is the real deal boy in blue with red cape showing up in their panels

BillyButcher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By BillyButcher

I would like to see it just for the pure spectacle of dropping the most iconic superhero ever into the Marvel U and  'see what happens'. 

But my guess is that DC will make the Siegel's and Schuster's very, very rich and the status quo will be maintained.
    Avatar image for the_human_juggernaut
    the human Juggernaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Marvel won't even attempt to get superman
    The Psyentist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By The Psyentist

Awful idea.

Hm. Then Marvel might actually go for it.

PLEASE, NO!

TazzMission

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By TazzMission

superman or batman would never go to marvel..... keep in mind they both made dc comics. the only way i can see  it happening is if they get a new poster boy. and honestly green lantern is probably the next one to really ship dc around for a good few years. superman i dont really care for but batman is one of my favorites
    yaboyrob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By yaboyrob

DC will try to keep Superman hes thier top hero. If Superman were to go to marvel he might get lost among marvels top heros. He belongs with DC comics.
    Editboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Editboy

Superman will become a jobber if he go's to Marvel....Or they'll make him look like a god among men, even with the Norse and Greek gods there.

Drafta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Drafta
    @The Psyentist said:
    " Awful idea.  Hm. Then Marvel might actually go for it.  PLEASE, NO! "
    Sad, but true.  :(
    TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

#37  Edited By TheBlueAngel93

Marvel has Captain America and DC has Superman, if you mess with that, the two Universes could become all loopy and what not

Bruce Vain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Bruce Vain
    @G'bandit said:
    "Gotta love Stan's attitude lol

Sups in Marvel...Well It be interesting to see a few things...

Nuff said :P "

Nooo daddy nooo!!! Don't hurt me!!! lmao
    Lantern Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Lantern Prime

To be honest Superman is really they face of the franchise like he used to be. But I doubt that Superman will leave DC over something like this they'll get something done. But eventhough something thats has been established in one franchise or place for such a long time doesn't mean its always gonna be there. Heck my SeattleSuperSonics(NBA)  left Seattle and nobody took it serious until that fateful day... I know its a different genre and situation but it has similarities.

TazzMission

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By TazzMission
    @War Killer said:
    "Marvel has Captain America and DC has Superman, if you mess with that, the two Universes could become all loopy and what not "

i think one of those guys should honestly be killed off... imagine a fight between the 2... who ever wins keeps there franchise going. im not fond of the marvel zombies but seriously if a charachter dies it needs to stay dead. thats why i think blackest night is gona be intresting because at least the dead are used for something other than shock value
    stevepidge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By stevepidge

Obama will get congress to buy superman and start a new comic company called GC or "government Comics" He will then replace superman's face with his own and use his alter ego as a stump for his socialist policies.

No Caption Provided
    Avatar image for cezar_thescribe
    Cezar_TheScribe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Cezar_TheScribe

Just Imagine: Stan Lee's Superman.
    Just Imagine: Stan Lee's Superman.
    TazzMission

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By TazzMission
    @stevepidge said:
    "Obama will get congress to buy superman and start a new comic company called GC or "government Comics" He will then replace superman's face with his own and use his alter ego as a stump for his socialist policies.

"

lol now wheres the cheney in darth vader gear?
    Lunacyde

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Lunacyde  Moderator

Superman's personality just doesn't fit in Marvel. Nevermind how powerful he is his attitude and general being just wouldn't feel right as a Marvel, he's not angsty enough for one things lol, now Superboy Prime could fit in at Marvel lol.

Liam Bradley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Liam Bradley

Superman and Mary Jane AMIRIGHT???

Omega Ray Jay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#46  Edited By Omega Ray Jay

Galactus could use him as a toothpick

Drafta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Drafta
    @stevepidge said:
    " Obama will get congress to buy superman and start a new comic company called GC or "government Comics" He will then replace superman's face with his own and use his alter ego as a stump for his socialist policies.

No Caption Provided
    "
    Hey, maybe Stephen Colbert could buy Superman.
    Avatar image for defaultdefaultdefault
    defaultdefaultdefault

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

im dissapointed in alot of people on this. Marvel and DC are friends. they dont have a personal bash war like their fanboys do.
    Marvel isnt responsible for whats going on,  Jerry Siegel is. would they take him anyways? no, that would kind of be majorly spitting in the face of their friends and co-colaberators on ideas. It would also be noticable, no fan would go for it, Marvel or DC and Marvel knows that. Its also not the kind of thing they would want legal in the first place nor allowable, because, that could so very well be them losing their character origin rights. lastly, Superman himself is not being lost to DC, details of his origins has been, so the point is moot. so why turn a blind eye to  Jerry Siegel , who has had a long, long time battle with DC about Superman and let him off the hook, and blame Marvel who had no hand in this, other than the few words twisted and embelished here, especially on a site that is supposed to be representing an accurate and unbiased comic newsource? have  Paul Levitz or Joe Quesada commentted on Marvels involvment, if it exists?

....so really...wheres the evidence that...
    1. Marvel is actually responsible for DC losing portions of Supermans origin
    2. DC is losing the whole character
    3. Marvel is planning to and is taking ownership of Superman

terrible to see anyone shaming the already being shamed legacy of one of the oldest superhero icons, Superman, even by Marvels standards, by using this bad news to continue a fanboy based flamewar. i mean really? i love all comics and respect what theyve brought to the art history and inventionwise. reading this all over the place, especially being claimed as fact in large parts or trying to twist things into it is making me ill.

BTW: would Marvel also go out of their way to start a war with DC comics parent company, Time Warner (whom i personally think will save the day here, their not about to lose an aspect of one of their biggest cash cows ) ?

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

RESPECT THE COMICS!
    Avatar image for thesavageassasin
    TheSavageAssasin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By TheSavageAssasin
    @Babs said:
    I see DC figuring out a way to get around that "
    Yeah probably
    Radiante

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Radiante

I don't believe it. 
    If it would happen, for DC would be like to lose his legs... No, it can not happen.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.