Follow

Spider-Man

Character » Spider-Man appears in 17246 issues.

Peter Parker was bitten by a radioactive spider as a teenager, granting him spider-like powers. After the death of his Uncle Ben, Peter learned that "with great power, comes great responsibility." Swearing to always protect the innocent from harm, Peter Parker became Spider-Man.

Spider-Man's Must Read Stories

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

Your Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man has over 50 years worth of comics. Fifty. Years. Let that number sink in for a second or two. And it's not like Peter's been limited to the pages of just one series, either. As you likely know, the wall-crawler has starred in multiple titles over the years. These adventures show what makes him such a great hero, fill his life with tragedy, or give him something worth celebrating. We all have our favorite story arcs, but we here at Comic Vine wanted to highlight a few that we strongly suggest checking out and find ourselves re-reading from time to time.

The Night Gwen Stacy Died (ASM #121-122)

No Caption Provided

Let's begin with the most obvious choice: the death of Gwen Stacy. Written by Gerry Conway and penciled by Gil Kane, this is an undeniably massive storyline for Peter Parker and it really is mandatory reading for any fan. It's only two issues and there's plenty of collections, so there's no good excuse to miss it. Why is it so important, you ask? First and foremost, the way Gwen dies is absolutely heartbreaking. The thought of putting yourself in Parker's boots in that scenario is horrific. Issue #121 hits you with that stunner and then leaves you hanging. What follows is a great display of what makes Spider-Man such an honorable hero. Even after losing Gwen, Peter's able to resist letting his rage take full control. He has Green Goblin at his mercy, yet he's able to keep himself in check and refuses to cross that line. What comes after that? Well, that's a real jaw-dropper.

Kraven's Last Hunt (Web of Spider-Man #31-32, ASM #293-294, The Spectacular Spider-Man #131-132)

No Caption Provided

Back in 1987, J.M. DeMatteis and Mike Zeck crafted an engrossing and bleak tale about Kraven the Hunter's struggle with Spider-Man. Prior to this, Kraven was just a dude who enjoyed the challenge of facing Spider-Man, and the hero would always find a way to defeat the villain. However, this story arc begins with a shocker. Sergei Kravinoff wins, allegedly kills Spider-Man and then buries him. As Kraven puts on Spider-Man's costume and attempts to prove to himself that he's truly superior, we're also treated to a twisted and visually compelling journey as Spider-Man finds the strength to escape his grave. It's a brilliant insight into both characters and the visuals pull you right into the dark atmosphere. As for the conclusion, well, let's just say it's an unforgettable course of events.

Coming Home (ASM #471-476)

No Caption Provided

J. Michael Straczynski and John Romita Jr. begin their run a totally gripping story. Not only are there new changes brought into Peter's life (he's now a teacher and a possible new twist is applied to his origin), but Straczynski and Romita Jr. also introduced one of Spider-Man's deadliest threats: Morlun.

The web-head has impressive physicals, but nothing he unleashed could faze this villain at all. To make matters even worse, he could not hide or escape this bad guy, either. Usually, Parker can face his foes in his classic costume and then get some much needed rest when he goes back into his civvies. This wasn't the case with Morlun. Not at all. This new foe had the ability to locate the hero at any time he wanted to, meaning Peter wasn't safe anywhere he went. And if Spidey tried to get too far away from the Morlun, the evil character would lure him back in by attacking innocents. This gigantic challenge brought Spider-Man's willpower front and center. It's a dilemma that'll keep you guessing how it'll come to a close and there's a legitimately touching moment tossed in there as well. Lastly, the ending paves the way for an issue many spent decades waiting for.

The Kid Who Collected Spider-Man (ASM #248)

No Caption Provided

Sometimes being a superhero isn't about saving the city from a maniacal villain or joining a team to help defeat the world's latest threat. No, sometimes being a hero is all about making a difference in just one person's life. A hero doesn't just saves lives... they inspire them, too. That's the message Roger Stern and Ron Frenz wanted to deliver in this issue and they did so incredibly well. It's a heartwarming read and illustrates why Spider-Man is such an admirable character.

Venom (ASM #300)

No Caption Provided

Come on, how can you not read Spider-Man's first big fight with Venom?! Written by David Michelinie and penciled by Todd McFarlane, this is a thrilling and action-packed issue about the first brutal encounter between these two. There's no real downtime in this one, either. It jumps from one big moment to the next, never losing its grip on your attention. Simply put: it's an issue you can read over and over again. Also, very old spoiler: this one may or may not mark the return of Spider-Man stepping back into his classic costume!

Spider-Man! (Amazing Fantasy #15)

No Caption Provided

This seems like a pretty self-explanatory pick, right? I mean, origin stories really don't get much more iconic than this, people. In just one issue, Stan Lee and Steve Ditko introduced the world to Peter Parker and revealed how this shy teenager would transform into one of the medium's most popular characters. It's a story you've likely heard dozens of times by now across different forms of media, but there's just no topping the original experience. Seriously, everyone needs to read the true telling of Spider-Man's origin story at least once.

End of the Green Goblin (ASM #39-40)

No Caption Provided

Green Goblin and Spider-Man have more than a fair share of memorable encounters, but End of the Green Goblin is unmissable. The stakes were insanely high for Spidey in this one because Green Goblin has finally figured out Spider-Man's true identity. The villain's discover comes at a terrible time for Peter. Aunt May's condition isn't ideal and any additional stress could be fatal. So if Aunt May finds out Peter is Spider-Man or was even killed by the Green Goblin, it's safe to say that wouldn't be good for her health. To top it off, this two-issue storyline also fleshes out Green Goblin's origin story. Fun fact: John Romita joined the title with this story arc, too!

The Symbiote Suit (ASM #258, SECRET WARS #8)

No Caption Provided

"Whoa, whoa, whoa! What do you mean Spider-Man's wearing a black suit now? And wait, it's... alive?!" The decision to make such a huge change to the web-slinger's look was shocking and, as you can see by the results of this poll, it's a look that many fans have grown to love over the years. If you appreciate the look -- be it symbiote or black cloth -- this is a fun and attention-grabbing story you need to read. The fact it eventually leads to "Bag-Man" is just a very, very nice bonus!

The Final Chapter (ASM #33)

No Caption Provided

There's countless issues where Spider-Man's drive has allowed him to overcome absurdly big obstacles. However, one always comes to mind: THE AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #33. A battle with Doctor Octopus has left Spider-Man trapped under an immense amount of weight, and a serum that he needs to save Aunt May's life is just out of his reach. Even though the weight is tremendous, Peter Parker is able to push himself harder than ever before and break free from the rubble. This is a prime example of why Spider-Man's resolve is second to none. Just ask Firelord. Oh yes, I went there!

Origin of the Hobgoblin (ASM #238-239, 244-245, 249-251, Peter Parker, The Spectacular Spider-Man #85)

No Caption Provided

Villain's identities tend to be relatively straight-forward, but Roger Stern dared to put an all-new spin on one of Spider-Man's biggest enemies. Not only was the Hobgoblin's true identity a mystery for quite some time, but the latest addition to the rogues gallery felt like a whole new threat in spite of being drastically similar to Green Goblin (regarding his weaponry and attire, that is). Osborn's a dangerous foe, but we all know the guy is a wee bit off his rocker. This addition to Peter's rogues gallery was sane and smart, and this is where it all began for the awesome villain.

Nothing Can Stop the Juggernaut (ASM #229-230)

No Caption Provided

No matter what the odds are, you can bet Spider-Man won't back down. Decades upon decades of comics have created plenty of great examples of this, but few are as significant as the time Spider-Man attempted a seemingly impossible task: to stop the Juggernaut. Sure, people well above Spider-Man's weight class have been able to best the X-Men villain, but Peter -- despite his impressive abilities -- isn't nearly on par with Cain Marko when it comes to sheer might. Spider-Man pulls out all the stops in an attempt to stop Juggernaut, and even when all hope seems to be lost, he refuses to quit. Parker takes quite a beating, but he's eventually able to triumph thanks to his wit (and not to mention the environment).

Dying Wish (ASM #698-700)

No Caption Provided

We know this is a controversial one for some of you, but there's just no denying this story is one of the biggest events to hit Paker's life. So many fans complain about plots not taking big enough risks or being more of the same thing, so Dan Slott hit us with a ginormous development: Doc Ock outsmarts Peter Parker. But this isn't just some minor victory where Peter gets to flee and eventually return to kick Otto's booty. No, Otto Octavius' plan allowed him to switch minds with Peter Parker, and it's a colossus change to the status quo. As you all know by now, this story spawns SUPERIOR SPIDER-MAN and eventually shows us that Peter truly is the superior Spider-Man.

Spider-Man No More (ASM #50)

No Caption Provided

THE AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #50 is a huge issue for Spider-Man. Parker stepping into his duds to fight bad guys means he's not around for Aunt May as much as he could be, his grades are going downhill, and his other relationships are taking a hit as well. To top it off, J. Jonah Jameson has so many New Yorkers convinced the wall-crawler's up to no good. This makes Peter ask himself an important question: why bother? His life would be so much easier if he stopped putting on the red and blue costume. It's a critical moment in his life and serves as a nice wake-up call for him, too. Because... you know, great power and all that! Plus, you can't help but love seeing how upset Jonah gets when he sees Spider-Man is back in action. Oh, and how could we possibly forget to mention this is the first appearance of Wilson Fisk?!

These are just a few of our favorite Spider-Man stories. We're curious, though... what are YOUR top "must read" Spider-Man stories? Don't be shy, share them with us below.

mcgregorp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

read them all thanks to marvel unlimited

GraniteSoldier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

I feel like the Gauntlet followed by Grim Hunt should be on there as well, and the recent works of Spider-Island and Ends of the Earth, while not classics, have really brought about some good recent developments for Peter who had stagnated a bit. I feel like Superior will eventually earn it's way onto such a list, for many of the reasons Kraven's Last Hunt is, if nothing else showing the level of inner strength and will it takes to be Spider-Man. Not simply a demonstration of ability.

Good list, I agree with them all.

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
    deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Is there some type of collection or compilation that collects some of these? Or will I be forced to get them all individually

thespideyguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By thespideyguy

Good choices. I would add Superior, and Grim Hunt.

mje360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By mje360

I first started reading comic books starting with the Coming Home arc of the Amazing Spider-Man #30 in 2001. It was not just a great starting point, but something so great and fun. And returned to comics just in time for the Superior Spider-Man saga, which was not only a retcon in some ways, but a great story switching things up for a good reason.

jwrose5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really liked Grim Hunt, Sins Past and the revised Clone Saga.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79
    deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Kraven's Last Hunt is epic.

Stormmagician

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is a great list, though I would definitely add the Happy Birthday arc.

Nerd Of A Hero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 94

Guess I'll start looking at this list of SM comics then since there's been some wacky SM stories that fans get upset about and from my POV it's been harder for me to find a great story. I like the crossover Spider-Men story and some of the Doc-Ock Spidey series but I'll try to find more whenever I have the spare time.

Avatar image for deactivated-5fbfd5d291164
    deactivated-5fbfd5d291164

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 74

User Lists: 7

Kraven's last hunt is your favorite right, K4tz?

MrShway88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I love articles like this!

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 64

Wasn't dying wish one of the biggest issues with SSM? The end of ASM 700 highly contradicted SSM 1, and most of the issues people had with SSM was do to the inconsistencies.

shikatema88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I cannot remember the issue numbers but I loved the ones where Rhino was kind of reforming and the Kravens have a metal suit that kills his girl friend I liked seeing Rhino as more human then a kinda lame villan

Rubear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

"He has Green Goblin at his mercy, yet he's able to keep himself in check and refuses to cross that line. What comes after that?"
    An how many people dies for it? Ironic, but this eternal non-killing is what makes many superheroes kinda crazy and inhuman.

Avatar image for devourerofworlds
    devourerofworlds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

All fantastic stories, but I would add; Death of Jean DeWolf, Torment, Maximum Carnage, and Grim Hunt

Avatar image for life_without_progress
    life_without_progress

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

How's the Superior Spider-Man Saga and Spider-Man: Blue not here ? :(

I_NEED_A_HORSE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

Dying Wish is f@#king garbage, I lost all respect for this list as soon as I saw that.

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

User Lists: 15

Agreed on all of em.

How's the Superior Spider-Man Saga and Spider-Man: Blue not here ? :(

Superior Spider-Man is not a classic Spider-man story.........come on,

And Spider-Man blue does not belong to the "classics" .....it's a cute story.

Strider1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Strider1992

All these are great but I feel like Ultimate Spider-man Vol.1 "Power and Responsibility" should be on here. It was brilliant. I'm glad "Coming Home" made it though.

Avatar image for life_without_progress
    life_without_progress

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ultimate Spider-man Vol.1 "Learning To Crawl"

Amazing.

Strider1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@strider92 said:

Amazing.

Nvm the titles got mixed in my head lol. Vol 1 of Ult Spider-man was called "Power and Responsibility" thats the one I meant!!

averywetfrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i love all of these, but i didnt really like the original venom stories though. my favorite is the hobgoblin saga.

Sarenis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Sarenis

Im gonna be sued for this but...

How about "The Exile Returns" ?

And yeah Im a BEN REILLY fan , and Im PROUD of it !!!

Who wanna ?! WHO WANNA ?!?!

ComicStooge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Not gonna lie, I read The Kid Who Collected Spider-Man and almost cried.

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@punyparker said:

@strider92 said:

Amazing.

Nvm the titles got mixed in my head lol. Vol 1 of Ult Spider-man was called "Power and Responsibility" thats the one I meant!!

OH!!!
    Then we totally agree.......for a moment i was like "What is he saying?....something Slott's that's only on issue one,right now,is a classic?.....what is he saying?"

But yeah,Ultimate Spider-Man with Peter is certainly concidered a classic.

Avatar image for supremehyperion
    SupremeHyperion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 12

Kraven's Last Hunt will always be my favorite Spidey story. Can't read it enough.

Avatar image for amazing_webhead
    amazing_webhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 20

No matter how much crap the world throws at him over the years, he'll always get back up, dust himself off, and throw himself back into action. Because that's who he is. Your friendly neighborhood Spider-Man.

NorDude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No matter what, my favorites will be the stories with Ezekiel, Coming home is one of them and the ending his story is, The Book of Ezekiel. There are several stories between them that ties them together, they are really good stories :)

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

#30 TDK_1997  Online

All of these stories are great and I like them but you have missed one amazing story which is the best of all and is my personal favorite,and that is Grim Hunt. This story had everything I love about Spider-Man along with some grittines that suited everything perfectly.

Avatar image for stmichalofwilson
    StMichalofWilson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 107

Great choices

Sarenis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Then again the "Happy Birthday" story was cool too.

AWeekInGeekdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By AWeekInGeekdom

Excellent list though I think a lot of modern spidey stories could have been added like: Spider-Man Blue, ASM 500, Flowers for Rhino, Spider-Island, Ends of the Earth and Grim Hunt and at least any of the arcs from the first Ultimate Spider-Man run are a must for fans.

powerplay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jayc1324: Check out the Marvel Unlimited service. It's like Netflix but for Marvel comics. All or most of these issues are available and you get access to a huge amount of the Marvel backlog too.
    I couldn't recommend it more.

Avatar image for thewalkingdeadpool18
    thewalkingdeadpool18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

laflux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@farkam said:

Kraven's Last Hunt is epic.

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for admiral_ironbeast
    Admiral_IronBeast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Back in Black needs to be here. NEEDS

And One Last Day deserves to be burned and forever forgotten...

No Caption Provided

Avatar image for cosmicallyaware1
    cosmicallyaware1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 46

Kraven's last hunt is probably one of, if not my favorite as was pleased to see it hear. When I was younger when that came it, it was very innovative and cutting edge of the times whereas that type of story had not been explored as of yet.

I would also say that "Gang War" was an substantial turning point in Peter's maturity level as defining the lines of a "hero".

I_NEED_A_HORSE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#40  Edited By I_NEED_A_HORSE

OMD, BND, OMIT, all of Big Time, Superior and the Second Clone Saga. Also Sins Past just for good measure. lol jk, all of those just listed deserve to be burned at the bottom of an oil drum.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.