Follow

Hulk

Character » Hulk appears in 7772 issues.

After being bombarded with a massive dose of gamma radiation while saving a young man's life during an experimental bomb testing, Dr. Robert Bruce Banner was transformed into the Incredible Hulk: a green behemoth who is the living personification of rage and pure physical strength.

Your thoughts on the currently ending Hulk serie

Schwarz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Schwarz

I would like you guy's opinions and thoughts of the whole series now that it is ending tomorow.

Here is mine

I found the whole series mediocre. The issue 15 was alright with a great powerful fight but did not redempt the whole thing for me. I am actually happy that the series end tomorow. A lot of fights and the story line was rushed. The other Hulks were getting depowered without much buildup to their fights. Doc Green shows up, fights in a few panels, take out the serynge and depowers them. Personally I don't mind like others that some Hulks are getting depowered but it could have been made with a lot more convictions. An exemple, the Skaar depowering. DG depowers Skaar, tells him he doesn't want to take care of him as a kid, sends him off to another city, the end. I like to be transported when I read a comic book, to be taken to another world. I felt like the serie's main goal was to take out a few characters that marvel didn't want anymore and rush them out of the story, and that is exactly what I disliked, besides the fact that doc green was underwhelming as the strongest on there is, the story was just bland. I don't mind having only one Hulk but at least make the others go with respect. They got depowered and dumped. I know Duggan was probably on a timed schedule so it probably is more of Marvel's fault to execute the other characters, but the way it was done was emotionless and boring. Like I said I felt reading the series more of an execute order from the writer/marvel than reading a story. A lot of fans had strong emotional ties to these other Hulks since they come from one of the greatest era of hulk stories, so to terminate them without a good story around it or an emotional cresedo at the end and just let them go and NEXT was kind of disrespectful to the fans who loved those characters. I know I might get picked on from what I'm about to say but I enjoyed Indestructible Hulk a lot more than this series. Yes Ind. Hulk was lacking but this series to me had no meat and used some elements that we have seen before. Rogue AI and such has been done before. I don't expect to see a masterpiece like Planet Hulk or WWH nowadays but at least I expect some effort put into the Hulk's storyline. All in all if you are on a tight budget I would pass up this series and wait for the new event coming up.

kgb725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Get Duggan away from Hulk comics

Avatar image for atheistknowledge
    AtheistKnowledge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I will wait for issue 16 to come out before i comment on the whole thing.

Bezza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

I bought a couple of issues. Its strange, because Duggans run has been getting quite good independent reviews, but hasn't really cut it for me. I find it sad that I haven't regularly bought a Hulk comic in the two years since I started buying comics again. Batman comics, yes, even Superior Iron Man at the moment, but all the Hulk stories I have dipped into have disappointed on some level

Avatar image for theincrediblesuperhulk8642
    TheIncredibleSuperHulk8642

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I enjoyed it. People are just picky.

GreenScar1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

No, they're not picky. We expect better and more solid story-telling. And I can tell you that Gerry Duggan, Mark Waid, and Jason Aaron's runs on the Hulk were far from it. In fact, Jason Aaron's run was garbage, Mark Waid's run was meh/boring, and Gerry Duggan's run was average at very best. And I believe that's still too much of a compliment. Sure, unlike Waid & Aaron's runs, it had some good moments. All in all, though, it was a disappointment.

All this Omega Hulk story was basically is Duggan (or Marvel) trying to eliminate Hulks that he didn't like. Of course, he could care less that a lot of fans came to accept and love these other Hulks. Nope. All he delivered was rushed fights and some the unnecessary elimination of other Hulks.

Did Duggan live up to his boast that Doc Green was the most powerful being on the planet?

No.

Did Duggan live up to his boast that Doc Green was the Smartest there is?

No.

Did we even get the Maestro out of this whole story?

No.

The best that things that came out of this whole story are: the brutal beating and depowerment of Red Hulk; the depowerment of Red Leader & the return of the true green-skinned Leader; the introduction of a new villain in Gammon; finally getting rid of the lab assistants from Waid's run that nobody cared about in the first place; and... that's pretty much it.

There's isn't a lot to mention.

I know that @theacidskull, @atheistknowledge, and @thedailybagel can also back me up on the points I've made.

Avatar image for deactivated-613e82c4b95f9
    deactivated-613e82c4b95f9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 201

Whilst I enjoyed Banner's, Doc Green's, and Betty's developments, as well as the final brutal fight between Hulk and Rulk, I have to agree, the ending, especially the climax of Lyra's storyline was a huge letdown.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theincrediblesuperhulk8642 said:

No, they're not picky. We expect better and more solid story-telling. And I can tell you that Gerry Duggan, Mark Waid, and Jason Aaron's runs on the Hulk were far from it. In fact, Jason Aaron's run was garbage, Mark Waid's run was meh/boring, and Gerry Duggan's run was average at very best. And I believe that's still too much of a compliment. Sure, unlike Waid & Aaron's runs, it had some good moments. All in all, though, it was a disappointment.

All this Omega Hulk story was basically is Duggan (or Marvel) trying to eliminate Hulks that he didn't like. Of course, he could care less that a lot of fans came to accept and love these other Hulks. Nope. All he delivered was rushed fights and some the unnecessary elimination of other Hulks.

Did Duggan live up to his boast that Doc Green was the most powerful being on the planet?

No.

Did Duggan live up to his boast that Doc Green was the Smartest there is?

No.

Did we even get the Maestro out of this whole story?

No.

The best that things that came out of this whole story are: the brutal beating and depowerment of Red Hulk; the depowerment of Red Leader & the return of the true green-skinned Leader; the introduction of a new villain in Gammon; finally getting rid of the lab assistants from Waid's run that nobody cared about in the first place; and... that's pretty much it.

There's isn't a lot to mention.

I know that @theacidskull, @atheistknowledge, and @thedailybagel can also back me up on the points I've made.

Yes you are asmost comic fans are (myself included). Aaron's run is an inexcusable piece of lard. Waid's run is fantastic the only complaint people were saying was that Hulk wsn't in the title as much and he got no feats (he got plent) and everyone wanted to revert to the Pak formula of a feat fest and crazy action (I love Pak's run) but didn't want to accept this change with open arms where the focus was on Banner and him growing as a character that not many writers have done before I will agree that Humanity Bomb was not good at all but the rest was great.

Ignoring all the interesting development for this Hulk persona and overlooking the fact that there were to many Hulk's and it took away from the specialty of the original Green Skinned Goliath just like when they brought in all those Kryptonians that took away from the specialty of having One Superman.

Really? we know Hulk period isn't the most powerful being on the planet so whatever.

Actually there were alot of nice showings of intelligence but Hulk has always been a boaster (strongest one there is) but this is also a Hulk book so sometimes there needs to be less focus on action and more on the Hulk doing Hulk things or fans will complain there isn't any feats and it's boring.

That I can agree with (We Want MAESTRO)

Pretty much every battle was awesome, the humor, the art, Leader, Gammon, the Foreshadowing of Meastro, the development of Doc Green and the cleanup of things from Waid's run (Ties to S.H.I.E.L.D., Scientists and His first baseat the Hive.)

Anyways Iam not here to start a debate this is my opinion. Am I wrong? No. Toodles.

GreenScar1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By GreenScar1990

@theacidskull: Not to mention the total BS that is Lyra & Jen managing to keep their Hulk sides and not be depowered, while Skaar, A-Bomb, Red She-Hulk, and Rulk were stripped of theirs. I'm still very pissed off by Skaar getting a major part of his heritage taken away. I can only hope he will get it back soon.

And I'm not exactly looking forward to seeing Duggan continue to write the Hulk post Secret Wars. Unless he's learned from the mistakes he's made during this 12 issue arch. Which I doubt, much like I doubt that Waid & Aaron probably haven't learned from their own grievous mistakes on their own Hulk runs.

Avatar image for deactivated-613e82c4b95f9
    deactivated-613e82c4b95f9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 201

@theacidskull: Not to mention the total BS that is Lyra & Jen managing to keep their Hulk sides and not be depowered, while Skaar, A-Bomb, Red She-Hulk, and Rulk were stripped of theirs. I'm still very pissed off by Skaar getting a major part of his heritage taken away. I can only hope he will get it back soon.

And I'm not exactly looking forward to seeing Duggan continue to write the Hulk post Secret Wars. Unless he's learned from the mistakes he's made during this 12 issue arch. Which I doubt, much like I doubt that Waid & Aaron probably haven't learned from their own grievous mistakes on their own Hulk runs.

Is it confirmed that he is still on Hulk?

GreenScar1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theacidskull:That's what rumors say. And I believe that he said it once himself. If it is true, I'm not too thrilled with the decision from Marvel and the knowledge that he'll still be on the Hulk series. Maybe we'll be fortunate and such rumors will be wrong. I'd definitely take PAD or Pak back on the character in a heartbeat.

@theincrediblesuperhulk8642:

1) Waid's Hulk run was meh for a lot of reasons. You seem to forget that Pak focused on Banner for more than 10 issues when he was depowered for the majority of Fall of the Hulks/World War Hulks. And Pak has written a far better Banner than Waid. You also seem to forget that Waid basically ignored and didn't acknowledge the progression Banner/Hulk went through under Pak.

Greg Pak left the character at a great place at the end of Heart of the Monster, progressed and ready for an incredible writer to take him to the next level and further progress him. Unfortunately, Mark Waid, much like Jason Aaron before him, knew little to nothing about the character and decided to go with his own dismal take involving a jerk scientist, his boring lab assistants, and a growling/snarling one-dimensional beast. He wasn't fit to write the Hulk/Banner period.

You like his run on Hulk? Fine. But there's a ton of readers and fans who do not. And I can list plenty of reasons of why that is.

2) Too many Hulks? Are you kidding me?! It's not like there were numerous Hulks like there are X-Men or Inhumans! There was only seven in freaking total! And the only ones who should stay Hulks are Hulk, Skaar, She-Hulk, and Lyra. I could take or leave Red She-Hulk and A-Bomb. But Red Hulk definitely needed to bite the dust permanently.

Despite your claim of them taking away the uniqueness of the Hulk, that's not true at all. Each of these Hulks were unique and interesting characters in their own way. They didn't take anything away from Hulk. If anything, they enriched his story/legacy in many ways. The problem is Marvel didn't want to utilize them in any way, despite their immense potential.

3) You talk about me ignoring Doc Green's development, which is a big damn lie considering that I've been reading the arch since it began. But to be honest, who cares? Especially if he isn't going to remain once the Extremis is depleted from his psyche? And to be further honest, Doc Green doesn't have anything on the other Hulk personas besides intellect. Doc Green and the whole Omega Hulk story had immense potential, but it never truly lived up to the hype. At all. Strongest & Smartest there is? I think not.

The Maestro, who possesses all the intellect of Banner (if not superior intellect to Banner) and the power of every Hulk persona (including the most powerful versions), on the other hand...

That's my take on the matter.

Avatar image for atheistknowledge
    AtheistKnowledge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You guys know i really don't care about other Hulks... Only the original himself, but what the hell was that mini story about Lyra the sex slave owner?

Schwarz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Schwarz

@atheistknowledge: The Lyra sex slave fiasco at the end is like the cherry on top of this steaming pile of dog sh**. It started retarded with the "who shot banner" where banner doesn't even care to know why betty got him shot so the whoke story line finishes with some kind of a "meh, who cares" A retarded Bruce and ended with the cherry on top with a Lyra sex slave owner. Gammon... been done before. AI goes evil, how original... The jokes to me fell very flat. I'm 31 and cheezy childish jokes are not what I am looking for. I felt like reading a pre pube comic book made for younger generations. I know Marvel wants to appeal to all ages but they have to remember that some of us were reading the comics in the 70s 80s and want the seriousness back in the comics. Some other runs in the marvel universe are much more appealing than this disney like hulk. I can forget that they depowered the other Hulks but depowering a Hulk in a few panels and dumping them and going for the next did not feel natural. Like I said Duggan was probably pushed by marvel to get this over with as fast as possible but the problem is that through his writing, it did not feel like a story but more of a "get rid of them fast before secret wars, we don't care as long as you wrap it up before May/June."

And once again, how can you finish the "Omega Hulk" with Lyra and sex slaves wtf.. On the cover I saw Maestro and all I got is a feminist Lyra with male sex slaves...ugh

I know it is very popular nowadays for feminists to show man like weaklings and that strong independent women are the new thing but there is a time and place for that. It just didn't fit in there, felt like someone at Marvel wanted to push the feminist agenda more than adding anything to the story.

It's funny how in a comic or movie that if a man chains multiple women, he's probably deranged or evil, but if it is a female hero like Lyra, it's supposed to be funny...

Would people think Captain A was a good guy or a strong independent man if he chained women... nope... so why is this acceptable. Feminists double standards are discusting.

The series was so forgetable that I'm talking about social issues instead of the comic itself...

Bezza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

..interesting opinions, each to their own. Here's mine.

Aaron's run. Haven't read it. I wasn't reading comics during his run and the few I have flicked through in the UK based Hulk book which featured the run last year didn't impress me much,

Waid's run. Loved the first 6 or 7 issues or so. Read them retrospectively as again, wasn't buying comics at the time they were released. About mid way through his run however, cant remember when exactly it just all turned to s*** !! The last half a dozen issues were awful....

Duggan's run. More fun than Waid's in parts but Doc Green promised a lot and didn't deliver much, aside from one mighty beating of Rulk. Some good ideas but not fully resolved. The last issue was a total let down and summed up what was for me and many others a disappointing story overall.

Here's looking forward to Secret Wars Future Imperfect!!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theincrediblesuperhulk8642:

1) Waid's Hulk run was meh for a lot of reasons. You seem to forget that Pak focused on Banner for more than 10 issues when he was depowered for the majority of Fall of the Hulks/World War Hulks. And Pak has written a far better Banner than Waid. You also seem to forget that Waid basically ignored and didn't acknowledge the progression Banner/Hulk went through under Pak.

Greg Pak left the character at a great place at the end of Heart of the Monster, progressed and ready for an incredible writer to take him to the next level and further progress him. Unfortunately, Mark Waid, much like Jason Aaron before him, knew little to nothing about the character and decided to go with his own dismal take involving a jerk scientist, his boring lab assistants, and a growling/snarling one-dimensional beast. He wasn't fit to write the Hulk/Banner period.

You like his run on Hulk? Fine. But there's a ton of readers and fans who do not. And I can list plenty of reasons of why that is.

2) Too many Hulks? Are you kidding me?! It's not like there were numerous Hulks like there are X-Men or Inhumans! There was only seven in freaking total! And the only ones who should stay Hulks are Hulk, Skaar, She-Hulk, and Lyra. I could take or leave Red She-Hulk and A-Bomb. But Red Hulk definitely needed to bite the dust permanently.

Despite your claim of them taking away the uniqueness of the Hulk, that's not true at all. Each of these Hulks were unique and interesting characters in their own way. They didn't take anything away from Hulk. If anything, they enriched his story/legacy in many ways. The problem is Marvel didn't want to utilize them in any way, despite their immense potential.

3) You talk about me ignoring Doc Green's development, which is a big damn lie considering that I've been reading the arch since it began. But to be honest, who cares? Especially if he isn't going to remain once the Extremis is depleted from his psyche? And to be further honest, Doc Green doesn't have anything on the other Hulk personas besides intellect. Doc Green and the whole Omega Hulk story had immense potential, but it never truly lived up to the hype. At all. Strongest & Smartest there is? I think not.

The Maestro, who possesses all the intellect of Banner (if not superior intellect to Banner) and the power of every Hulk persona (including the most powerful versions), on the other hand...

That's my take on the matter.

1) Did I say Pak did otherwise. It was clear his focus was on building more on Hulk as a character than Banner since his first 25 issues of Hulk comics didn't even have Banner in them for pretty much most of them. Did Pak write Banner better? yes. It was actually Marvel's decision to revert Hulk back to that not Waid's. It was well established before Marvel Now by Bendis. Aaron's run is a steaming pile of dung. Waid actually took the original concept of Banner and Hulk (Banner ron the run Hulk fighting the army) and instead had Banner grow as a character showing him put his intelligence to use and put Hulk as a WMD which was what that incarnation of Hulk should be as I stated above it's the one Marvel wanted.

2) And 7 Hulk's is waaaaayyy to much. 2 was enough and even then most of the Hulk's sucked and weren't being used and were only created to milk the franchise when it was at a peak. The only one that had development and was as added for a purpose was Skaar.

None of them were unique. None of them were interesting which is why when Pak left they were basically ignored. The only one with potential to grow and who should have been given more of the spotlight since he was a greatcharacer is Skaar.

3) Doc Green provided an interesting and refreshing take on what a Hulk would be like if he was hyper intelligent but closer to the dark side of the spectrumwhich we never saw before other than the dysopian ruler Meastro. The story wasn't perfect but it was very good. The Art, The Fights and Doc Green's devlopment as a persona for Hulk were all great. were there missteps yeah but it was still a good story.

Isn't WWHulk stronger than Meastro....whatever they both rock.

Schwarz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Schwarz

I don't know if Meastro or WWH is stronger. One thing I know is that WWH was very powerful but he was holding back even agaisn't Sentey, that is why he didn't kill everyone, it wasn't his intentions. As far as maestro all we know about his power levels are that he killed most of the heroes of marvel and rules the future world. This could make a good debate actually. We should start a thread about it.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.