Follow

Green Lantern

Concept » Green Lantern appears in 2506 issues.

A Green Lantern is an officer of the intergalactic police force known as the Green Lantern Corps, who have the ability to overcome great fear with the might of willpower. They possess power rings capable of creating constructs characterized by their will and strength to use it. Each Green Lantern is given a Sector of the Universe to protect and it is their priority to suppress any threat against their sector.

No Superman In Green Lantern Movie

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

None of you are going to be in my movie?
     None of you are going to be in my movie?

No Caption Provided
    I almost forgot that Superman was supposed to have a cameo in the Green Lantern movie.  Way back in December 2008, Marc Guggenheim talked about how the writing was going for the movie.  He mentioned wanting to do 'easter eggs' and having Superman make a cameo appearance.  I think part of me just didn't think it would happen.  It was mentioned in the early stages and we all know how scripts are often changed before the movie even begins filming.

Yesterday, director Martin Campbell told MTV that Superman will not be making an appearance.  Campbell simply said, "None of the other DC characters will appear in the film."  I had mixed feelings on the possibility.  When I first heard about it, I thought it could be a distraction.  If the filmmakers are trying to introduce and set up Hal Jordan's character, having another more established hero could take away from that.  It would mean Hal would have to share the spotlight with another character.  But then how cool would it be to actually see other characters and get the feeling that there is an actual 'universe' of comic characters in the movie?  It's one of the things I look forward to in the Iron Man/Thor/Avengers movies.

Campbell also talked to Collider about the tone of the movie.

“It will be much more in the tone of Iron Man. It’s got to be. Certainly not Batman Begins, which is a pretty dark movie. No, he’s the Hal Jordan character who’s the sort of shoot from the hip, irresponsible kind of cocky test pilot if you will. In fact, the character seems to be the least likely to be chosen as Green Lantern.  Well, of course that’s the fun of it. So no, it’ll be much more like Iron Man. So it’ll have one foot in reality if you see what I mean.” 

What are the chances of the movie being in 3-D?  You would think that visually, this movie would be perfect for the technology.  Apparently Campbell hasn't talked to Warner Bros. about it.  Hopefully they will before filming begins since, I believe, it requires a different type of camera.  Then again, it could always be converted before the release.

How do you feel about Superman being scrapped from the script?  Would you have liked to see other characters pop up or simply make a tiny cameo?  Do you think Green Lantern should be a 3-D movie? 
    Son_of_Magnus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 15

#1  Edited By Son_of_Magnus

That is good leaves more room to focus on character development for both Hal, the corps and Sinestro

Chane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By Chane

No pointless cameos. Green Lantern the movie for Green Lantern and the Corps. 

The tone sounds about right. 

Not fussed if it's 3d or not tbh.

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#3  Edited By joshmightbe

i beleive the corps itself can work as evidence that hal is part of a larger universe atleast for his first movie but i do hope down the line we get to see a green lantern/green arrow movie

AtPhantom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By AtPhantom
    @Son_of_Magnus said:
    " That is good leaves more room to focus on character development for both Hal, the corps and Sinestro "
     Well it's not like he was to be a major character, just a cameo.

That said, given that Warner and DC don't have any plans on pursuing a new Superman movie, there really isn't any point of having him make a cameo at all. But when they actually put their minds to it, I predict a Green Lantern cameo in the Superman movie instead. : )
    gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By gmanfromheck

I wish there would've been some explanation as to why no other characters would be appearing.  Even if it was a tiny blip in the background it could've been cool.  Just give us a sense that Hal exists in the DC Universe.

RedK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6  Edited By RedK

soon as i heard that he was getting a cameo I thought it was just going to as Clark Kent covering one of Hal's flights but I probably would of spent all the time looking for him so I guess this news is sort of 50% good 50% bad but still wouldn't mind seeing him at the end of the film like Nick Fury appearing in Iron Man.

Son_of_Magnus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#7  Edited By Son_of_Magnus
    @G-Man said:
    " I wish there would've been some explanation as to why no other characters would be appearing.  Even if it was a tiny blip in the background it could've been cool.  Just give us a sense that Hal exists in the DC Universe. "
    Well I would hope the move is mostly centered around Oa like Hal is shown as a pilot and stuff gets his ring then goes to Oa and the rest of the movie is there or on alien planets till he comes back to Earth as it's defender so I do not think there will be any reason for any other DCU casts maybe have Batman or Superman mentioned on the radio other than that I do not think it is necessary since it is an origin story. Bats and Supes are aloud to go out and play on there own so should GL lol.
    timrothsays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 8

#8  Edited By timrothsays

lol, maybe it would be tiny flying spot in the sky? like "what's that? is that bird/plane?"

Mbecks14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Mbecks14

I didnt care for the idea of a superman cameo. not in the way they planned it with the ring passing up Clark Kent. It didnt make much sense to me.

Tone is Iron Man esque? Aweseome!!!! thats perfect for this movie.

and 3D? eh. idc. i'm seeing it either way. 3D just makes it more expensive.

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By joshmightbe
    @timrothsays:
    like the supposed thor cameo in hulk tho i still dont beleive thats actually there, ive watched like sixty times and still dont see it
    timrothsays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#11  Edited By timrothsays
    @joshmightbe: 
    I've never heard about this xD
    joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By joshmightbe
    @timrothsays:
    its an internet rummor theres about 50 youtube videos of guys trying to convince people its there but i dont buy it
    CaptObtuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#13  Edited By CaptObtuse

I could see something like Tony Stark sitting in the diner with Bruce Banner, or Nick Fury showing up at the end of Iron Man.  I'd like a scene, maybe even after the credits, of Superman meeting GL in space as he's returning to earth saying something like, "Welcome to the club.  You do nice work.  I'll be keeping my eye on you."

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By joshmightbe
    @CaptObtuse:
    that would be way too cliche for me
    Nova`Prime`

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Nova`Prime`

I think the perfect cameo for Superman would have been a head line on a newspaper Hal was reading. It would mean there are other heros out there, it wouldn't take away from Hal as the main character and it would give you some good dialouge, specially with Hal being a military test pilot something along the lines of "He keeps this up I won't have a job" or something. But no Superman isn't a deal breaker for me, I'll still go see it. Now if it was in 3d the ring constructs would be awesome popping off the screen.

Illuminarch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Illuminarch

What exactly does he mean by saying that no other DC characters will be appearing? Certainly the Guardians, GL Corps, Sinestro, and Carol Ferris are DC characters. To me, that means major characters - that is, Batman, Superman, and probably Wonder Woman. I wouldn't rule out cameos or mentions of other characters that are usually thought of as being outside of the GL focus, but do not have a lot of recognition. They certainly do this enough in their cartoons and enlarged continuity is the hot ticket in superhero movies right now.

Satyrquaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#17  Edited By Satyrquaze

This whole 3-D BS has got to stop.
    burr787

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#18  Edited By burr787

I wish that Supes could have shown up. He could have showed up at the end and said something that would of hinted a Justice League movie.

Avatar image for eisforextinction
    EisforExtinction

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 68

User Lists: 6

#19  Edited By EisforExtinction

I hope Green Arrow is still there to talk about threesomes.

ehicks36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By ehicks36

I can see maybe Hal seeing Sups and thinking Earth doesn't need another hero and then getting chosen by the ring and going to Oa and discovering a universe that needs policing - kind of an intro to the larger DCU for future movies. However this movie needs to center on the Corps. alone.

AngelFrost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By AngelFrost

I'm not a fan of Superman. (: 
    so I'm not bothered.

zombietag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#22  Edited By zombietag

this headline makes me happy

grimreaper1980

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#23  Edited By grimreaper1980

the movie is about green lantern, not superman. even if superman was in it, then who would play him

Archetype

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Archetype
    @G-Man: Maybe they should just have Carol mention Wayne Enterprises as some competition or LuthorCorp or just have the news on the telly and the reporter could be talking about Superman or Batman or whatever but I definitely agree that they should have some tie to the DCU.
    Grouchy224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Grouchy224

I don't see why we can't at least get a Daily Planet reference. Gotham City was mentioned in Superman Returns, so why not the Daily Planet in the Green Lantern movie? They can at least try to set things up for a connected DC movie universe as their rival Marvel is currently doing and succeeding quite well at.

sora_thekey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#26  Edited By sora_thekey

I guess the reason the Avengers cameo in each other's movies are working is because even when making Iron Man and Incredible Hulk they knew this was al planed out so that eventualy the Avengers movie would come out.... 

Oposed to here where nobody knows if there will ever be a JLA movie.... if they plan it right they could be on their way to following in the Avengers footsteps and have a JLA movie by 2013..... Of course we would all be dead by then so who knows!
    NightFang3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By NightFang3

This is good news but I think they should mention Superman exist and nothing more.

johnny_spam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By johnny_spam

I know lots of people assume that a cameo will mean taking time away from the main character's development but look at Justice League Unlimited or the New Frontier they were full of cameos that never took away from the main story.

SUPER-MAN 23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 789

#29  Edited By SUPER-MAN 23

What about a Clark Kent appearance?

johnny_spam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By johnny_spam
    @SUPER-MAN 23:
    Yes just as a reporter at a scene could work easily.
    Media_Master

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Media_Master

This movie has way more potential to do some pretty cool 3D effects.

Moomin123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#32  Edited By Moomin123

I'm not really that bothered about Supes not being in this film. I bet there might be a reference to him or something though. 
    I like the idea of having Hal as the rebellious type in this film. Although I'm not really that bothered, I wonder if Hal is gonna be a ladie's man like in the comics.
    Bruce Vain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Bruce Vain

Would've been nice to see a small cameo of Superman or have Lois & Jimmy in it or something. Like how Marvel is doing it with their movies now.
    SevanGrim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

User Lists: 9

#34  Edited By SevanGrim

GOOd. I dont want every DC movie to tie together. It was kindof a cool cameo deal for Marvel, but that was because we thought an Avengers movie was right around the corner. 
     DC knows damn well we wont be seeing a JLA movie for another few years, and i appreciate them not yanking us around with little hints.

Avatar image for the_crimson_nutcase
    The Crimson Nutcase

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I dont mind Supes being scrapped... 
    But i do think this movie has great potential in 3D (and i dont even care for 3D I dont like the extra price, but i would see this in 3D i wish i would've saw Avatar in 3D b/c I wasnt impressed with the story)

SigersonLTD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By SigersonLTD

Clearly, there ARE other DC Comics characters, as they've already cast Carol Ferris. I'm railing here about this misuse of language, more than the story itself....

Avatar image for deactivated-5ffc7df6492da
    deactivated-5ffc7df6492da

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

If they did then it would seem like a knock off of Iron Man and well let's face it Marvel took the initiative on a team movie.

TheBug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By TheBug

aw. That ring flying past Clark idea sounded really cool.
    venom32708

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By venom32708

people really need to leave the whole 3D idea alone just make the movies normal theres no need to make every movie 3D

buns134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#40  Edited By buns134

cool

Elefante

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Elefante

I'd still want to see some cameos of other DC people in this movie, it always makes things a little more exciting for me. If you notice though, he said there would be no "Superman" cameos, he didn't say anything about Clark Kent.

Avatar image for emerald_general_jai
    Emerald_General_Jai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 9

While i'm a lil dissapointed we won't be seeing Kal-El (it would have been cool and kinda meaningful) I can live with it. But PLEASE don't do 3-D. I'm sick of it already, an it hasn't even gotten all the way started yet. That woulda kinda dampen my joy for this. I hate those stupid glasses, and they give me a headache. Make a normal movie Por Favor.

HaloKing343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 91

#43  Edited By HaloKing343

It'd be cool to see superman
    gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By gmanfromheck
    @Archetype: I'd buy that.  They should at least make some sort of nod, even if it's a tiny one.

@SUPER-MAN 23: I have a feeling that anything Superman related is off limits.  Again, there hasn't been an official statement but I'm thinking it has to do with the Siegel and Shuster heirs and the rights lawsuit.
    DH69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By DH69

no real interest in this movie, but im hoping by the time i see a trailer i'll become interested. i just find the lantern concept boring

Barajasster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Barajasster
    @G-Man:@G-Man said:
    " I wish there would've been some explanation as to why no other characters would be appearing.  Even if it was a tiny blip in the background it could've been cool.  Just give us a sense that Hal exists in the DC Universe. "
    I think they will try to keep a Nolan-Verse view on their Superheroes for now.  Christopher Nolan stated that in his universe Batman was the only hero.  He thought that having others around lessened the importance of Batman.  I disagree and would like to see an "Avengers" type Easter egg in DC movies but I think Warners is moving in a different direction and will probably have characters stand alone for a time.  It worked on TDK so maybe it will work on Green Lantern.  

I am less excited daily though by this movie, first they miscast Ryan Reynolds who should be playing Flash not GL, and then they find the worst possible actress in the world to play Carol Ferris in Blake Lively, and to top it off they have yet to cast Sinestro.  This is going to be a cluster f*** if there ever was one, and I am a huge GL fan. 
    DanaDane6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By DanaDane6

The cameo should cme at the end during credits like Fu.y did in Ironman

Avatar image for omega_the_supreme_being_
    Omega The Supreme Being

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

yes no superman in green lantern awesome

Avatar image for violet_eyed_dragon
    Violet-Eyed Dragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

i hope they are just pretending supes isnt in it. 

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.