Does Spider-Man Love Gwen Stacy More Than Mary Jane?

Avatar image for deactivated-60e87a786cc9c
deactivated-60e87a786cc9c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

If she was alive,obviously.

ursaber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

@mrnihal said:

If she was alive,obviously.

He would. But Mary Jane is number one and would be even if she was alive. Remember Gwen still slept with Norman. If she was alive, it would be worse.

In any case, she should not be alive. Gwen is RIP. In the grave she will remain. FOREVER!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ursaber: Would marvel do that to Gwen(Norman) if she was alive then?I think if she was alive, MJ would've been like black cat.

ZariusII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#204  Edited By ZariusII

@mrnihal When Gwen was brought back in Clone Conspiracy, she told Peter she believed she would have inevitably lost him to MJ.

Why would MJ be like Black Cat? Felicia didn't love Peter Parker, she loved Spider-Man. Gwen loved Peter Parker and hated Spider-Man. MJ loved both Peter Parker AND Spider-Man. Peter and Gwen would never have lasted, especially once he found out she had been bedding Osborn and had his kids. Peter would have wound up a cuck, saddled with children not his own, and that would have contributed to his ongoing misery. He would not have had a pure relationship with Gwen, there would always be a level of distrust. He would never love her quite the same way again.

With MJ, there is a selfless, soul-yearning bond and understanding between the two. They are best friends as well as lovers. Gwen didn't start off as a friend, but an ice-queen tsundre who mellowed into a bimbo barbie, a daddy's girl

MJ was always going to wind up the superior love interest. Gwen had so many emotional hang-ups she would have proven an ill-fit for Peter in the long term.

Peter has also said to MJ he had always loved her far more than he ever did Gwen.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zariusii said:

@mrnihal When Gwen was brought back in Clone Conspiracy, she told Peter she believed she would have inevitably lost him to MJ.

Why would MJ be like Black Cat? Felicia didn't love Peter Parker, she loved Spider-Man. Gwen loved Peter Parker and hated Spider-Man. MJ loved both Peter Parker AND Spider-Man. Peter and Gwen would never have lasted, especially once he found out she had been bedding Osborn and had his kids. Peter would have wound up a cuck, saddled with children not his own, and that would have contributed to his ongoing misery. He would not have had a pure relationship with Gwen, there would always be a level of distrust. He would never love her quite the same way again.

With MJ, there is a selfless, soul-yearning bond and understanding between the two. They are best friends as well as lovers.

MJ was always going to wind up the superior love interest. Gwen had so many emotional hang-ups she would have proven an ill-fit for Peter.

That was written after gwen was killed,if she wasn't i don't think writer would've gone that route.

Normally the love interests always fall in love with the superhero persona where could care less about the civilian persona.It would've been interesting to see gwen warming up to spiderman.

Avatar image for revolutionary_j
Revolutionary_J

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#206  Edited By Revolutionary_J

@mrnihal said:

That was written after gwen was killed,if she wasn't i don't think writer would've gone that route.

Normally the love interests always fall in love with the superhero persona where could care less about the civilian persona.It would've been interesting to see gwen warming up to spiderman.

Gerry Conway, writer of The Night Gwen Stacy Died said in the 2016 Crawlspace Podcast (https://spidermancrawlspace.podbean.com/e/podcast-444-gerry-conway-interview/) around the 47minute-49 minute mark, that had Gwen's death not occurred, he would have still broken her and Peter up, and get Peter and MJ to date. Gwen would have been written out of the books and later writers would then choose whether or not to develop the love triangle.

Conway didn't set out to kill Gwen Stacy. There was a pre-existing plan by Romita Sr and other editors for a major character death and various candidates were considered and what Conway did was merely nominate Gwen as the best choice since she was both emotionally significant for Peter, and through Peter, the reader...but she was also expendable since there's not a lot to her character, wasn't popular by herself and so on. So if there was no plan, Conway would not have killed her since that kind of stuff needed approval and so on.

So it was never on the cards that had Gwen not died, she and Peter would have been happily ever after. Certainly not with Conway writing the book. Maybe if Stan Lee continued there might've been a chance. Psychologically, it's not believable that had Gwen continued, she would be okay with Peter being Spider-Man considering that he lied to her repeatedly, one point driving her near-hysterics with his confession, and that she blamed him for the death of her father.

ZariusII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#207  Edited By ZariusII

@mrnihal Does it really matter if Sins Past was written well past her death? Don't move the goalposts to preserve your saintly preference for what 'might have been'. The simple matter is it's part of canon and would very much inform anything Peter got up to in the future if the "real" Gwen ever comes back. That's just how effective drama plays out. Once you add something, it is far more responsible and truthful not to subtract from it. What happened in Sins Past forever taints Peter and Gwen's idealist standing with fans, so it's little wonder it's outright ignored. But it still happened, and has not been undone.

Giojoestar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

sad to see both are not love interests for peter in the mcu

Spideerfan002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well since Sins Past is now undone,Finally!!!(MJ also "cheated" techincally, she was kissed by the same man twice when Peter was away and never told him.It's OOC af, so was Sins Past but only one's undone so...)

Who's takes this?

IMO MJ, some bad storyline should be ignored but yeah.

ZariusII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#210  Edited By ZariusII

@spideerfan002: MJ redeemed herself for those moments in-story, so we forgave her and her love for Peter became stronger. Simple as that. Peter still loves MJ more than Gwen. Undoing the affair doesn't change that. Nor will it ever.

Spideerfan002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#211  Edited By Spideerfan002
@zariusii said:

@spideerfan002: MJ redeemed herself for those moments in-story, so we forgave her and her love for Peter became stronger. Simple as that. Peter still loves MJ more than Gwen. Undoing the affair doesn't change that. Nor will it ever.

You clearly were banking on Sins Past for why Gwen>>MJ.Now we know Gwen's affair wasn't a real thing, MJ's was.And how did she "redeem" herself, she never even told him?Right and wrongs don't cancel each other out.

"Does it really matter if Sins Past was written well past her death? Don't move the goalposts to preserve your saintly preference" - from your post on this thread

The fact is MJ cheated, albeit only 2 kisses but in canon it's more than anything Gwen did.Also MJ in the years after never even told Peter.She also kept Gwen's affair a secret.Also kept her working w/ Mysterio a secret and repeatedly lied about all this.

I personally find this OOC, but since you live by canon MJ hasn't really redeemed herself or learned her lesson.She still lied when she feels it's necessary even though it's stupid.

She also left him in Superior when he needed family most, immediately dating another guy after Sp0ck broke up w/ her.Moreover in PI era she brought him back to her apartment, kissed/ made out w/ him and then stopped him, guilt tripped him and told him to leave.

I still think Peter loves MJ more, but you'r reasoning doesn't check out.

Just to be clear, My point isn't Gwen>>MJ.Comic MJ has proven multiple times she's better IMO and that Peter loves her more.My point is using canon as absolute, which is what you were doing hurts all characters.Because these characters have multiple writers w/ different views and preferences which leads to OOC stuff.

When judging them my policy is ignoring such things, but if ones(in this case your's) policy is canon is absolute then MJ has done her share of bad and w/ Sins Past retconned she is much worse than Gwen in her treatment of Peter.

Much like Sins past was ignored when Peter met Gwen again in Clones, all her lying has been ignored and will continue to be ignored, and Peter will likely never find out about the fact that she was kissed by a guy twice when she was gone.Because even writers know it's OOC and not part of their character.

YuriYamaguchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#212  Edited By YuriYamaguchi

Replying to this 8-year-old thread because of Spencer’s finale/ reasons.

For all the hate OMD gets, it clearly shows that MJ is Peter’s true love. The all-powerful devil calls their love a once-in-millennium unconditional love. (This made other solid canon ships like Sue and Reed seem inferior, what more Peter and Gwen?)

The fallout from House of M (which everyone uses to support Gwen/Peter) was Peter almost feeling trapped in his marriage with MJ because of his House of M memories. OMD erases that marriage; Peter is free.

But he still wants to marry MJ. He has tried to propose to her twice in the ongoing comics. He wants to spend his life with MJ—despite not remembering his previous commitment to her, and despite his experiences in House of M.

I’m understand Gwen isn’t an option. But what we have is Spidey wanting MJ’s hand—despite all their ups and downs, and his memories of Gwen.

If Spencer’s finale retcons the OMD deal, Peter and MJ will be one of the longest running married couples in comic book history. How’s that for true love?

Ultimately, MJ will be remembered as Spidey’s main love interest because she’s his endgame in popular major media—most recently, Into the Spider-Verse movies and Insomnia’s acclaimed video games. MCU also used ‘MJ’ as Peter’s love interest. And we saw MCU’s impact on the Peggy vs Sharon Carter fight.

Thor-Parker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Mary Jane, and it shouldn't even be up for debate, decades of comics and continuity have made it abundantly clear.

AdamAnouer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Personally I would say no and this is mostly in regards to 616 Peter & Gwen as a whole. I think when Gwen Stacy is the subject the impact of her death has always overshadowed her elements of an individual character. We get some amazing moments like in Spider-Man: Blue and Dead No More but ultimately I think Gwen just never had as much chemistry or development that she needed for me to think the two ever felt like they were meant for each other.

In regards to Mary Jane we really do see Peter go the full distance with her and it's pretty clear that after all this time (and depending on the writer) MJ is a part of Peter's life that he just cannot lose. One of the best aspects of the Clone Saga IMO was actually seeing Peter become a man and treat MJ as his wife and partner and they've had plenty of moments since. With that and recent retcons in mind specifically her knowing about A Brand New Day the whole time it throws so many questions that I can't really wrap my head around it.

Do I think MJ is perfect for Peter? Not necersarrily but I do think Peter clearly loves her more than Gwen purely because what they've been through they went through together.

Thor-Parker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Personally I would say no and this is mostly in regards to 616 Peter & Gwen as a whole. I think when Gwen Stacy is the subject the impact of her death has always overshadowed her elements of an individual character. We get some amazing moments like in Spider-Man: Blue and Dead No More but ultimately I think Gwen just never had as much chemistry or development that she needed for me to think the two ever felt like they were meant for each other.

In regards to Mary Jane we really do see Peter go the full distance with her and it's pretty clear that after all this time (and depending on the writer) MJ is a part of Peter's life that he just cannot lose. One of the best aspects of the Clone Saga IMO was actually seeing Peter become a man and treat MJ as his wife and partner and they've had plenty of moments since. With that and recent retcons in mind specifically her knowing about A Brand New Day the whole time it throws so many questions that I can't really wrap my head around it.

Do I think MJ is perfect for Peter? Not necersarrily but I do think Peter clearly loves her more than Gwen purely because what they've been through they went through together.

That's not confirmed yet, it's just a theory.

AdamAnouer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thor-parker: Oh right, I thought that "he doesn't remember" line was alluding to that. My mistake. Regardless I think Gwen Stacy is much easier to look through a modern lens because her death completely overshadowed who she was a character and that's likely why they sought to kill her off in the first place.

She's a weight around Peters past just like Uncle Ben is. Something to make him remember and feel guilty for his past as Spider-Man and honestly if you couldn't tell it's something I'm not too fond of. I do like Spider-Gwen that's a refresh on a character who really needed it and it was done really well. She's had a lot more added to her over the years but LOVE... eh.