Greatest Sci-Fi Movie Of All Time

• 56 results
willpayton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll Greatest Sci-Fi Movie Of All Time (40 votes)

2001: A Space Odyssey 20%
A Clockwork Orange 5%
Blade Runner 25%
Brazil 3%
Close Enouncters of the Third Kind 5%
District 9 10%
ET The Extre Terrestrial 10%
Forbidden Planet 8%
Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1956) 3%
Metropolis (1927) 8%
Planet of the Apes 10%
Soylent Green 3%
Star Trek II 5%
Star Wars I/II 23%
Terminator 23%
The Day The Earth Stood Still (1951) 5%
The Fly 10%
The Matrix 18%
Things to Come (1936) 5%
War of the Worlds 3%
Other 33%

What do you think is the greatest science fiction movie(s) ever. (Multiple choices are allowed... so vote for more than one if you cant decide on just one)

Use your own criteria for what's the "greatest".

• 
arctika

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#52  Edited By arctika

@KingLouie Nah Inception just copied an anime called Paprika so it's not even original to be honest like most of these on this list...Nolan even admitted he's a fan of Paprika. Inception isn't in the same league as most of these listed.

_Logos_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 14

#53  Edited By _Logos_
@arctika said:

@KingLouie Nah Inception just copied an anime called Paprika so it's not even original to be honest like most of these on this list...Nolan even admitted he's a fan of Paprika. Inception isn't in the same league as most of these listed.

First of all, doesn't matter if it was inspired by Paprika, Inception is a great fucking movie regardless. Second, idk if I'd compare Inception to most of the movies above, though I tend think of sci-fi as having a futuristic theme in general.

Star Wars probably shouldn't be on the list either since it's more futuristic fantasy rather than sci-fi.

Out of all these I think I'm intrigued and am a fan of Bladerunner's world building the most and how it inspired other movies, and shows to come. 2001 was cool, but long... really fucking long.... I think from an entertainment stand point though my poll pick would be Terminator.

arctika

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@_logos_ said:
@arctika said:

First of all, doesn't matter if it was inspired by Paprika, Inception is a great fucking movie regardless. Second, idk if I'd compare Inception to most of the movies above, though I tend think of sci-fi as having a futuristic theme in general.

Star Wars probably shouldn't be on the list either since it's more futuristic fantasy rather than sci-fi.

Out of all these I think I'm intrigued and am a fan of Bladerunner's world building the most and how it inspired other movies, and shows to come. 2001 was cool, but long... really fucking long.... I think from an entertainment stand point though my poll pick would be Terminator.

I really only disagree on your first point, it actually does matter because if something clearly takes an already previously done idea it lacks originality and doesn't add anything new that and a lot of paprika fans called this out when inception hit and keep in mind I'm not even a huge anime fan but I watched both films and clearly he took a hell of a lot from it, just stating facts here.

Secondly, I never said inception was BAD, just that it's not original with the idea for the record. I never said it's a bad movie but the films in the poll are legendary and among the best in the genre or a franchise even depending. Inception is a good stand alone film but imo not in the same league as these other movies or at least a good amount of them from Terminator to SW, ST, Bladerunner etc, etc I mean SW is fiction and has some science but more sci fantasy I guess but I'm sure some could debate some of these movies not being pure sci fi but have elements of sci fi in them. The first terminator for instance was more horror sci fi, sequels more action sci fi for example. There's a few others IMO I would have included personally here in this poll like BTTF is a classic and The Predator but that's me. I have noticed there are a lot of younger people on this site with some older here and there.

_Logos_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 14

@arctika said:

I really only disagree on your first point, it actually does matter because if something clearly takes an already previously done idea it lacks originality and doesn't add anything new that and a lot of paprika fans called this out when inception hit and keep in mind I'm not even a huge anime fan but I watched both films and clearly he took a hell of a lot from it, just stating facts here.

Except he took inspiration from Paprika and made Inception it's own thing. The two are still different in very significant ways, and the idea of discrediting Inception for this is taken way out of proportion imo.

jacdec

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I voted 2001: A Space Odyssey, Brazil, Soylent Green, The Day The Earth Stood Still and others. These are the films that particularly impressed me when I saw them for the first time.

arctika

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By arctika

@_logos_: But being inspired by something and flat out copying certain elements is a bit of a difference. It's like Jason to Michael, Jason is a different character but obviously took a lot of things from Michael from the disappearing to reappearing, never dying completely, doesn't talk or say anything, wears a creepy mask, is supernatural, hides and lurks in the shadows etc, etc.

Yes it's a different story but not entirely different in terms of the world warping and stuff that's straight out of Paprika and Nolan even admitted this that he's a big fan. Obviously the story is a little different but that doesn't mean there aren't similarities either being my point. Not saying Inception is bad, it's just not the most original idea like others on this list. But we can respectfully agree to disagree on that bit I have no issues doing so.

yejj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Man of Steel and Avatar

arctika

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By arctika

Just realized with this list Clockwork Orange isn't sci fi...it's a dystopian crime thriller about psychologically and rehabilitation. Kubrick is known for other sci-fi movies but that's not one lol.