Greatest Sci-Fi Movie Of All Time

• 56 results
willpayton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll Greatest Sci-Fi Movie Of All Time (40 votes)

2001: A Space Odyssey 20%
A Clockwork Orange 5%
Blade Runner 25%
Brazil 3%
Close Enouncters of the Third Kind 5%
District 9 10%
ET The Extre Terrestrial 10%
Forbidden Planet 8%
Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1956) 3%
Metropolis (1927) 8%
Planet of the Apes 10%
Soylent Green 3%
Star Trek II 5%
Star Wars I/II 23%
Terminator 23%
The Day The Earth Stood Still (1951) 5%
The Fly 10%
The Matrix 18%
Things to Come (1936) 5%
War of the Worlds 3%
Other 33%

What do you think is the greatest science fiction movie(s) ever. (Multiple choices are allowed... so vote for more than one if you cant decide on just one)

Use your own criteria for what's the "greatest".

• 
King_Saturn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Terminator 2 : Judgment Day is easily the Greatest Science Fiction Film I have ever Seen... to this day no film has been able to touch it IMO...

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#2 SC  Moderator

I really liked Gattaca. Oh and the Fountain. Have to think a bit though for what's my favorite.

Avatar image for spideyivydaredevilfan26
SpideyIvyDaredevilFan26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 41

Revenge of the Sith. The whole film is like Shakespeare in Space, so much beauty and tragedy and symbolism. I'm trying to think of a sci-fi film that is better, and there are plenty of contenders...But nothing beats Episode III.

Avatar image for themanwithnoname
TheManWithNoName

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

SpideyIvyDaredevilFan26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@spideyivydaredevilfan26: what about the original and empire?

I love all the Star Wars movies except Phantom Menace, but I will always be there to say Revenge of the Sith is the best of the saga. I'd rank the Star Wars movies like this:

1) Revenge of the Sith (Best Sci-Fi movie of all time)

2) The Empire Strikes Back (One of the best Sci-Fi movies of all time)

3) Attack of the Clones (One of the best Sci-Fi movies of all time)

4) Return of the Jedi (One of the best Sci-Fi movies of all time)

5) A New Hope

6) The Phantom Menace

SpideyIvyDaredevilFan26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@edamame said:

The Matrix. This film has some interesting symbolism and themes. It really makes you think. As a matter of fact, I am still thinking about it. lol

Meh, I always thought Dark City was better than The Matrix. It had everything that made The Matrix great (Symbolism, interesting themes, a smart premise) and fixed everything from the Matrix that didn't work (A lead who is actually a good actor and interesting character, more of a sense of realism, even more stylish than the matrix which is saying something)

Darling_Luna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 8

No Children of Men ?

willpayton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Children of Men ?

That's certainly a great movie... but there's only so many spots in the top 20. And, I thought it's too much if the poll consists of like 30 or 40 options, which was my starting list.

SpideyIvyDaredevilFan26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darling_luna said:

No Children of Men ?

That's certainly a great movie... but there's only so many spots in the top 20. And, I thought it's too much if the poll consists of like 30 or 40 options, which was my starting list.

And where is Revenge of the Sith? If Phantom Menace is here, so should Episode III.

willpayton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No offense, but this makes me wonder how many sci-fi movies you've seen. I would not put any of the SW prequels anywhere near the top 100 sci-fi movies of all time, much less at the top spot.

SpideyIvyDaredevilFan26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@spideyivydaredevilfan26 said:

No offense, but this makes me wonder how many sci-fi movies you've seen. I would not put any of the SW prequels anywhere near the top 100 sci-fi movies of all time, much less at the top spot.

I have seen a bunch of Sic-fi films, including all the ones on the list, I'm just not blinded by nostalgia and butthurt fanboyism like people who hate the prequels.

Omega Ray Jay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 5

#14  Edited By Omega Ray Jay

A New Hope

willpayton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

And where is Revenge of the Sith? If Phantom Menace is here, so should Episode III.

Ahhh... the "Star Wars I/II" in the pool are meant to be the first 2 Star Wars movies... A New Hope and The Empire Strikes Back.

Sorry about the confusion, but it wont let me edit it now.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

#16  Edited By Squalleon

I can't choose...........AAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

SpideyIvyDaredevilFan26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ahhh... the "Star Wars I/II" in the pool are meant to be the first 2 Star Wars movies... A New Hope and The Empire Strikes Back.

Sorry about the confusion, but it wont let me edit it now.

But yeah, Revenge of the Sith really is the best sci-fi film of all time. Loads of really smart themes, great references to historical events, mythology and literature, great acting (Yes, even and espescially Christensen who was also good in Episode II) deep and emotionally gripping characters, realistic fall to the dark side, Oscar worthy score, great ending...I'm having trouble finding anything bad to say about it. A+, 10/10, 4 out of 4 stars, it's Oscar worthy, Plinkett, Spoony and Jeremy Jahns suck, and any other praise I can give it.

willpayton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By willpayton

I have seen a bunch of Sic-fi films, including all the ones on the list, I'm just not blinded by nostalgia and butthurt fanboyism like people who hate the prequels.

There's no need to start calling people names just because they dont like what you do. Keep personal attacks and insults out of this please.

IrishX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

I think most people would say Blade Runner. I'm a fan of Star Wars but it's such a large world with six movies and so many books to go along with it that it's hard to compare to a single movie.

Ostyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Well, Aliens isn't on this list so it's completely pointless.

SpideyIvyDaredevilFan26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wasn't insulting you. I was speaking in generalities, and defending myself as I felt insulted by your comment.

There's no need to start calling people names just because they dont like what you do. Keep personal attacks and insults out of this please.

willpayton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

SpideyIvyDaredevilFan26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

But yeah, Revenge of the Sith really is the best sci-fi film of all time.

o_0

So much for not insulting people, I guess that rule doesn't apply for people who like the prequels.

willpayton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By willpayton

I wasn't insulting you. I was speaking in generalities, and defending myself as I felt insulted by your comment.

@willpayton said:

My comment was in no way insulting. Hell, I even started my comment by saying that I meant no offense. Whether you take offense and get insulted by other people stating opinions is your problem.

In any case I wasnt talking about myself, I was talking about you suggesting that people who dont like the prequels are fanboys, "butthurt", or "blinded by nostalgia". Basically it looks like when someone suggests that the movie you love is not the greatest thing ever you take personal offense and start insulting everyone who disagrees with you.

SpideyIvyDaredevilFan26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@willpayton said:

My comment was in no way insulting. Hell, I even started my comment by saying that I meant no offense. Whether you take offense and get insulted by other people stating opinions is your problem.

In any case I wasnt talking about myself, I was talking about you suggesting that people who dont like the prequels are fanboys, "butthurt", or "blinded by nostalgia". Basically it looks like when someone suggests that the movie you love is not the greatest thing ever you take personal offense and start insulting everyone who disagrees with you.

Very well, I sincerely apologize if I have offended, as it wasn't my intention. How about we just end the discussion at that?

willpayton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Very well, I sincerely apologize if I have offended, as it wasn't my intention. How about we just end the discussion at that?

Agreed.

Pharoh_Atem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

Empire Strikes Back slaughters.

Doomnaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Empire Strikes Back pwns all.

russellmania77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i just actually saw the movie "the day the earth stood still" and it was awesome

Nelomaxwell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Nelomaxwell

How is Blade Runner only at 25%? Star Wars (Movie) isn't even sci-fi, there's no science in it. It's just future fantasy

willpayton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By willpayton

i just actually saw the movie "the day the earth stood still" and it was awesome

The original? If so, I agree... it's a great movie. Also, it's the kind of movie that cant get made today. The pacing alone is something we never see anymore. Now everything has to have seizure-inducing editing, plot-twists, shakycam (see Elysium), and tons of CG effects. There's something to be said for a simpler story told well, where it takes its time to explore the themes and repercussions of the subject. Closest I can think of recently is Moon.

BigL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

Empire Strikes Back...

willpayton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Surprised some of the great movies on here are getting such little love, especially since multiple-voting is enabled.

Avatar image for betatesthighlander1
Betatesthighlander1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

comicbookfan93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By comicbookfan93

Aliens

kuonphobos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I voted for the Matrix because it was a game changer.

Would have voted for Blade Runner if not for that awful score.

Then I remembered Alien.

But those are the three I will still be watching 30 years from now.

Bruxae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Bladerunner ofcourse, followed by Forbidden Planet.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e3b7f04aeb74
deactivated-5e3b7f04aeb74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ET and Close Encounters are probably the Best overall. While Brundle Fly, Arnold and A Clockwork Orange are my faves.

Avatar image for thetimestreamer
theTimeStreamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#39  Edited By theTimeStreamer

Terminator 2 : Judgment Day is easily the Greatest Science Fiction Film I have ever Seen... to this day no film has been able to touch it IMO...

agreed. t1 not that good.

INLIFE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Not Blade Runner, that's for sure. Going with the Matrix as it was truly a game changer.

RDClip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Although Blade Runner is my all-time favourite movie and dispite its visual influece on the sci-fi genre, I'm going with 2001. It is pretty much the perfect sci-fi movie. It isn't a soft sci-fi movie like Star Wars and it isn't just an action movie disguised as a sci-fi movie like much of the sci-fi fare of today. It is a slow, ponderous film that aimed for realism and not spectacle. The practical effects and model work are still amazing to this day over 40 years later and the sound design perfectly sets the mood the movie is going for. It also doesn't hurt that it was directed by one of the greatest directors of all time.

willpayton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@king_saturn said:

agreed. t1 not that good.

Terminator was an excellent movie, and I actually like it more than T2. The first one was much more lean and focused.

ms__omega

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Alien

arctika

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

T2, BTTF and The Predator for me. A few others but those are the GOAT top 3 for me personally.

Referee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

For me it's "Forbidden Planet"

Going Old School on this one!

Avatar image for deactivated-64969837cbeff
deactivated-64969837cbeff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Terminator 2: Judgement Day

MAZAHS117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wouldn’t say it’s my personal favorite, but it’s probably 2001 here

ArranVid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Can I say that Christopher Nolan's The Dark Knight is a science fiction movie? If it could be included as sci-fi, then I would say that it's my favourite sci-fi movie.