Americans, do you've any interest in "International" Sports?

• 88 results
MrHamWallet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

@rpgesus: Do you think an American football "star" wouldn't get embarrassed in rugby? Most professional athletes tend to excel at their respective sports and would get embarrassed by professionals of other sports. It's not a hard concept to grasp, but if you think that it makes it a better sport/more masculine in some way then I'll pose these two brainteasers for you...

"Why is it only North America that gives a f*ck about American Football, whereas a good few countries give a f*ck about rugby?"

And...

"Why do American football stars wear so much armour and padding and rugby stars do not?"

If your head starts hurt whilst thinking about those feel free to revert to the ridiculous bullsh*t you were spouting before, much like your beloved "sport" the rest of us will just ignore.

EyeDCyou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 13

I love futbol. Probably my second favorite sport.

EdBlank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@sog7dc said:

I wish football got more respect outside of America.

The first problem is the name. Imagine if someone invented something called "Tetris" but it was nothing like Tetris.

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Cricket is the worst sport in the world.

Rugby has way too many rules for me to care, and only Aussies really play it still.

Tennis interests me, somewhat.

I love soccer. It was my first love. GGMU!!!

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

User Lists: 10

#55  Edited By SOG7dc

@edblank:

Ehh. I like to think I'd be more open minded to a different culture. I get the feeling, sometimes, that Europeans have some sort of animosity towards American football because of the name.

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By Superguy1591

@kgb725: Basket Ball is second only to Soccer in the world, and that's mostly due to the fact that China and many other Asian countries like Basketball. Not that they will ever beat us in a head to head, but they seem to like it. N. Korea also really likes basketball due to Un's love for the sport.

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If Americans cared about soccer we would own it. Soccer is one of the least popular sports in America and we still manage to beat out England and go further into the World Cup in the last 10 years.

Imagine if we cared...

MAZAHS117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 MAZAHS117  Online

I see MMA as International, so yeah.

I do also follow International motorsports F1 & MotoGP

I'll also watch Tennis

...but that's about it

makhai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I mainly watch football (the real kind) and ufc/mma. I sometimes watch rugby too, I used to watch boxing but imo the quality has been in decline for a while.

@makhai: Lol not promoting a good stereotype there buddy, there's good reason the RotW couldn't give a sh*t about American sports. The superbowl is the perfect example of this, it's not a sport it's a medium for advertising.

Ha! There is someone with their head in the clouds. You think the other sports finals don't have advertisements as well? Like I said, if it was worth watching, it would be in America.

EyeDCyou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 13

If Americans cared about soccer we would own it. Soccer is one of the least popular sports in America and we still manage to beat out England and go further into the World Cup in the last 10 years.

Imagine if we cared...

The US will never become a world football power unless the best athletes in the country stopped playing american football and basketball, and started playing football. It doesn't really matter how much American's 'care' about it. Every 4 years America turns into a soccer loving machine for the Cup.

MrHamWallet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@makhai: Not what I meant, The Superbowl goes on for hours yet how many actual minutes of gameplay are there? Just over 10 maybe? Pathetic.

"Like I said, if it was worth watching, it would be in America."

Lol, a very arrogant and small minded view...stuff like that which gives North America such a bad name. If it were a decent sport, surely somewhere else in the world might think so ;)

makhai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@makhai: Not what I meant, The Superbowl goes on for hours yet how many actual minutes of gameplay are there? Just over 10 maybe? Pathetic.

"Like I said, if it was worth watching, it would be in America."

Lol, a very arrogant and small minded view...stuff like that which gives North America such a bad name. If it were a decent sport, surely somewhere else in the world might think so ;)

Try 3 and a half hours out of 4 being gameplay. Seems like you are basing your opinion of the superbowl on internet memes rather than actually watching one for yourself. Rookie move.

And you think your view is any better? You can't even be bothered to watch an actual game before forming your opinion of it. If anything, my position is a parody of you.

MrHamWallet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@makhai: No, off someone who actually likes it but decided to work out how long was in play. Lol 3 and a half hours out of 4.

I can't sit through a whole game no because I consider it ridiculous, I did try. Have you watched half these sports you're claiming aren't worth watching because they're not played by your country? No its not at all, but whatever man I get bored of ignorance real quick.

makhai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@makhai: No, off someone who actually likes it but decided to work out how long was in play. Lol 3 and a half hours out of 4.

I can't sit through a whole game no because I consider it ridiculous, I did try. Have you watched half these sports you're claiming aren't worth watching because they're not played by your country? No its not at all, but whatever man I get bored of ignorance real quick.

I am 35% sure that your first sentence is actually supposed to mean something.

You are also lying about trying to sit through a game. If you did, you would know that the vast majority of it is gameplay. But you didn't. You claimed that only 10 minutes of it was actual gameplay in the 4 hours. It was ignorance at its finest. Which is ironic, considering you accused me of ignorance where I showed none. I don't think ignorance means what you think it means. The only ignorance I can be accused of is assuming that foreigners were more intelligent than Americans. As I am an American and you are not, I have to revisit and reevaluate that assumption.

MrHamWallet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@makhai: Most are, I'll leave you to contemplate that one.

Call me a liar...means sh*the from someone like you. It was an exaggeration...still closer than yours.

"If international sports were worth watching, they would be in America."

Seems it's not me who needs to grasp the meaning of the word ignorance my friend, if you don't think that statement is ignorant then you're not worth anyones time.

makhai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@makhai: Most are, I'll leave you to contemplate that one.

Call me a liar...means sh*the from someone like you. It was an exaggeration...still closer than yours.

"If international sports were worth watching, they would be in America."

Seems it's not me who needs to grasp the meaning of the word ignorance my friend, if you don't think that statement is ignorant then you're not worth anyones time.

• Ah, so you are the exception? Fair enough.
  • You either lied or you were not paying attention while you watched. If you aren't paying attention, how can you possibly know how much advertisement it contains OR how enjoyable it is? The exaggeration was solely on your part. Look it up if you don't believe me. The information is at your fingertips. There are frequent commercials, sure, but they don't add up to a significant portion of the total program time.
  • That's not an ignorant statement, that's an satirical one and you apparently lack the necessary intellectual components to make that connection.
MrHamWallet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@makhai: No, a sport doesn't have to be accepted in my country for me to appreciate why it's a good sport. Or even liked by myself.

Big claim, it's a poor man's imitation of rugby and so unoriginal it took a name from anote sport which doesn't properly fit it. Information is at everyone's fingertips...I did look it up after I was told about it before, it'd why I watched it in the first place. Program time does not = game time, don't worry...considering you couldn't understand how ignorant you are I don't expect you to grasp that either.

So you claim...yet it seems you just want it to be so, so that you can get away with saying it. It was ignorant, now you're backtracking, or you do appreciate that your country does not define good sports or anything for that matter.

Seriously...done with you now man, but by all means keep up with your boll*cks

Doctor_Law

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mrhamwallet: Super Bowls are about 3 hours of actual game time though.

MrHamWallet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@doctor_law: http://www.marketwatch.com/story/there-were-just-1206-minutes-of-actual-gameplay-during-the-super-bowl-2015-02-02

Big difference between game time and play time, the fact it's supposed to last that long makes it even more of a joke and less of a sport.

Doctor_Law

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mrhamwallet: The article states that most of the program is game time. It is not relevant that the gameplay shown is replays. The fact remains that it is game time.

MakkyD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#71  Edited By MakkyD

@sog7dc said:

@edblank:

Ehh. I like to think I'd be more open minded to a different culture. I get the feeling, sometimes, that Europeans have some sort of animosity towards American football because of the name.

It's too similar to rugby to ever take off in Europe, since rugby already has foothold in most of the bigger countries.

MakkyD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Imagine if we cared...

To be fair, (this is probably a dangerous statement, but anyway), England haven't been that great in the past while. I wouldn't really consider them the top 5 in Europe, nevermind world.

@superguy1591 said:

@kgb725: Basket Ball is second only to Soccer in the world, and that's mostly due to the fact that China and many other Asian countries like Basketball. Not that they will ever beat us in a head to head, but they seem to like it. N. Korea also really likes basketball due to Un's love for the sport.

Believe it or not, Cricket is the world's second most popular sport, than hockey. Basketball is 5th last time I checked.

MrHamWallet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@doctor_law: It's actual action time, there are replays in all sports but it detracts minorly from actual game time. At the end of the day there is no excuse for 12 minutes of gameplay in 3 and a half hours dedicated to the sport. More importantly, if you like these sports it is still massively ignorant to say any sport that is not consumed in your country...there is no way around that, especially when that is the only country which partakes in the sports you like. I don't like cricket or golf but I appreciate them as sports, I can't watch them at all. He was being ignorant and it is not comparable to Rugby in terms of sportsmanship or the athletes playing. He's ignorant...no two ways about it.

My point is a sport is to be played, 12 minutes in over 3 hours is not respectable. Anyway I'm out, I'm done debating this until tomorrow.

MrHamWallet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@maccyd: You've made a lot of good points, tbh the way they've played the last two years America aren't far off England in football, but that's what happens when you leave out your best players like Harry Kane. (Not a spurs fan)

JKFallen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

IMO the only sport I even care for is soccer (or football as you call it).

makhai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By makhai

@makhai: No, a sport doesn't have to be accepted in my country for me to appreciate why it's a good sport. Or even liked by myself.

Big claim, it's a poor man's imitation of rugby and so unoriginal it took a name from anote sport which doesn't properly fit it. Information is at everyone's fingertips...I did look it up after I was told about it before, it'd why I watched it in the first place. Program time does not = game time, don't worry...considering you couldn't understand how ignorant you are I don't expect you to grasp that either.

So you claim...yet it seems you just want it to be so, so that you can get away with saying it. It was ignorant, now you're backtracking, or you do appreciate that your country does not define good sports or anything for that matter.

Seriously...done with you now man, but by all means keep up with your boll*cks

• ... I didn't imply that a sport has to be accepted by your country for you to appreciate it. Wow.
  • These are some pretty trivial complaints about the sport. Anyone that would be turned off to a sport because the name is taken from another sport is pretty silly.
  • If you looked it up, you would know that your claims are nonsense.
  • It is true that program time does not equal game time but as I said, the game runs for 3.5 hours out of the 4. Approximately 30 minutes are taken for advertisements. The rest is game footage. Before you condescend to someone, you should at least have a valid point.
  • I am not backpedaling at all. I always post stuff like that. It is the people that have one or two marbles rolling around in their head that clamp down on posts like that to start a pissing contest. You took the bait, chum.
  • You've said that you were done with me before. Why do you keep lying?
MrHamWallet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@makhai: Bait or not you originally outright stated that.

They are...they really my most basic issues with it as a sport.

Not true,if you looked it up you'd realise they actually play for a very short duration compared to "game time"

30 minutes for advertisement is longer than actual play time...my claim stands.

I took your bait then, congrats...sounds like more backpedalling to me sInce you brought it up again. So you're trolling then?

I'm drunk and feel like replying to your nonsense...sue me.

thedailybagel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 thedailybagel  Moderator  Online

Being british, I quite like american sports, mainly american football (Broncos fan). But they aren't that big anywhere else really, america just seems to have its own little sport ring whilst the rest of the world prefers football and cricket.

And no, it's going to be a LONG time before the U.S. can make it within the top 3 best football teams in the world, let alone the best.

thedailybagel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 thedailybagel  Moderator  Online

@maccyd: the problem with england is that we've always had a very good team in terms of players, but no one really played at top form for us. Recently though we've been on fire. We've won 8 of our last ten games, the other two games being draws.

makhai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@makhai: Bait or not you originally outright stated that.

They are...they really my most basic issues with it as a sport.

Not true,if you looked it up you'd realise they actually play for a very short duration compared to "game time"

30 minutes for advertisement is longer than actual play time...my claim stands.

I took your bait then, congrats...sounds like more backpedalling to me sInce you brought it up again. So you're trolling then?

I'm drunk and feel like replying to your nonsense...sue me.

• So what? I can say just about anything on this site and never mean a word.
  • You mean actual plays and that is a stupidly pathetic position to take. Replay value is important in any sport. Football just makes the most of it while the teams are setting up for the next play. You can turn on soccer and see it riddled with replays... when there is actually a play worth seeing again, which doesn't happen very often at all.
  • It's not. Replays are still plays. There is more visible plays during the program than there is advertising by a wide margin. Your claim has crumbled.
  • LOL you don't know what backpedaling even means. It's not trolling, it's fishing and you are my 10 lb catch of the day.
  • Sure you are. Why don't you tell me how done you are again before you predictably come back for more. That's always fun.
MrHamWallet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@makhai: That works for anyone...need me to break down how?

It is...but does replay need to take up more time than actual play? You call it idiotic, I'd refer you to my original point about this sport and your original ignorant comments.

My claim is its a massive advertisement, it is more than any sport. My other claim was the its not a proper sport as most of the time spent watching it is not game play...the point stands.

If I charged you to play a video game/film and 75% of it was watching something that had just happened...would you be happy with what you'd invested?

Actually I do...but rich coming from someone who does understand ignorance and irony. In your eyes I am, in mine you're just more pathetic for it...so good game?

OK...you're still either ignorant or a troll, so take your pick buddy, and enjoy it.

Homer_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The only international sport I see is soccer (futbol), in Murica, I watch football, hockey & basketball

makhai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@makhai: That works for anyone...need me to break down how?

It is...but does replay need to take up more time than actual play? You call it idiotic, I'd refer you to my original point about this sport and your original ignorant comments.

My claim is its a massive advertisement, it is more than any sport. My other claim was the its not a proper sport as most of the time spent watching it is not game play...the point stands.

If I charged you to play a video game/film and 75% of it was watching something that had just happened...would you be happy with what you'd invested?

Actually I do...but rich coming from someone who does understand ignorance and irony. In your eyes I am, in mine you're just more pathetic for it...so good game?

OK...you're still either ignorant or a troll, so take your pick buddy, and enjoy it.

English must be your second language...

Avatar image for unbreakable_fs4
unbreakable_fs4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By unbreakable_fs4

Soccer (or football as the world calls it) is awesome to watch. Everything about the game is amazing. Even though I'm a huge American sports fan, soccer is still the only one that gives me chills when I watch a great game.

I also watch Tennis, and Golf sometimes

Avatar image for blackspidey2099
blackspidey2099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Cricket is the best sport in the world.

Rugby has way too many rules for me to care, and only Aussies really play it still.

Tennis interests me, somewhat.

I love soccer. It was my first love. GGMU!!!

Fixed it for you, imbecilic cretin.

sabracadabra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just soccer.

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers