Americans, do you've any interest in "International" Sports?

• 88 results
MakkyD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

Just wondering do those in US who typically watch baseball, american football, basketball and such watch sports that are more popular internationally such as football, rugby, cricket, tennis etc as well?

This popped into my mind from the stereotype on the internet, where Americans claim their own sports are the best while having little knowledge of other sports.

Rpgesus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

American sports are far better. Biggest faster stronger athletes better coverage better stars

Avatar image for deactivated-5da1bf32237f0
deactivated-5da1bf32237f0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

I have no interest in sports in general.

MakkyD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rpgesus said:

American sports are far better. Biggest faster stronger athletes better coverage better stars

In US, yes. Everywhere else...not really.

BiteMe-Fanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

My brother watches american football and baseball all the time but he is a HUGE Arsenal fan.. I like watching soccer as well, but not as much as I do football.

flashback0180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

football sport master race hand-egg sport is peasant.

Spambot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

For all the complaining I see here or other places about how Americans have the gall to think their sports are the best and don't watch enough soccer or cricket or rugby isn't that exactly what most European sports fans do with the sports that are most popular there? I don't see why it bothers people anymore than esports being super popular in parts of Asia. Europeans don't watch much baseball or American football and I wouldn't expect them to nor does it hurt my feelings that they prefer soccer. I don't watch that much sports myself but just tired of this idea that Americans are somehow so much worse than any other group of people on the planet.

MakkyD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@spambot: I was referring to the stereotype itself, but all 3 of those sports aren't just European, they're popular internationally (some are even more popular outside of Europe).

GraniteSoldier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

I'm a fan of competition. My favorite sports are (American) Football, baseball, and MMA...but I watch everything from soccer to softball to even chess and poker.

I just enjoy competition and the clash of wills it entails.

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

User Lists: 10

I wish football got more respect outside of America.

Spambot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@maccyd: I realize they aren't just European but I was just bringing up Europe the same way you mentioned America.

kgb725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sog7dc: There is literally about 2 countries that play it.

Basketball is top 5 if not top 3 most watched sports internationally.

Bruxae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Figure skating ftw.

Fallingcliffs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Fallingcliffs

How is rugby more popular than MLB or NFL? I don't see that, besides we can ask the same of International sports. Baseball is played worldwide and very big in not only all South America, but Canada, Asia and various parts of Europe and American football is expanding as well now(just not worldwide)

Basketball is also pretty big in Europe if I'm not mistaken.

And honestly, Soccer is overrated. I've played various sports, it's mostly a sport of endurance but is really boring most of the time. If I'm going to watch a game like that, I'll watch or play Hockey...

At any rate, If someone is athletic in various sports I'd go with Baseball because you get paid the most and are set for life literally...

@rpgesus Agreed. I can't see how anyone can watch Rugby or Curling over Baseball or American Football lmao...

Pharoh_Atem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#15  Edited By Pharoh_Atem

@flashback0180 said:

football sport master race hand-egg sport is peasant.

Gridiron Ball requires real manly qualities, not people around flopping like pancakes for no reason.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a04a566e9ae3
deactivated-5a04a566e9ae3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Soccer is cool.

MakkyD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fallingcliffs: Rugby has roughly the same amount of fans as American football.

Fallingcliffs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Fallingcliffs

@maccyd: Is there proof of this?

Maybe in the other part of the world Europe but it's not played in asia and I never heard anyone talking about it in America, Mexico, South America or Canada. Just saying.

But since you asked as far as non-USA sports, I like Hockey(which technically came from Canada) ;)

Avatar image for deactivated-5e3b7f04aeb74
deactivated-5e3b7f04aeb74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not in any of the ones you listed. I do like wrestling though. It may not be as popular, but it is international.

MakkyD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By MakkyD

@fallingcliffs: Both rugby and American Football have roughly 390-410 million fans. Rugby is the dominant sport in Oceania and South Africa and is major in western Europe. On the other American Football is only really major in US.

Hockey is actually British. It's also the 3rd most popular sport if you count both ice and standard.

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#21 dernman  Online

Not a fan of sports period. They're fun to do but not to watch.

comicace3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#22  Edited By comicace3

I watch football, and Rugby is a pretty cool sport though I barely watch any games. Oh I also watch volleyball if that counts.

Rpgesus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i wish more international countries would play football so we could destroy them like we do already in basketball and baseball. We're coming in soccer, we have a long ways to go but eventually we'll be #1 in that too

MakkyD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm a fan of competition. My favorite sports are (American) Football, baseball, and MMA...but I watch everything from soccer to softball to even chess and poker.

I just enjoy competition and the clash of wills it entails.

I don't really watch sports, but I somehow know the rules to over a dozen sports. Still could never get into cricket, even though I'm European (then again, it's not considered a "proper sport" here :P)

GraniteSoldier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

@maccyd: Cricket I've never watched because I've never had the rules explained to me in a format that makes sense. It seems like most people don't understand it haha.

Fallingcliffs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Fallingcliffs

@maccyd: There's plenty of fans of every sport though, Baseball has a TON of fans and is America's pasttime. Not even American Football can change that, the Yankees have arguably the richest history and most HOF players of any sport. I know this is a different category but just saying. Basketball is growing as well.

I know in Australia Cricket is pretty big, I've watched some videos then they had a few baseball players play and they crushed the ball lol. (Since a cricket field is a lot smaller than baseball) but thought it was kind of interesting.

MLB is also major, the reason why "more people watch Football" is because it's ridiculously short 16 game season, if Baseball, Basketball and Hockey had 10 games it would also be watched a ton as well. But this is another reason personally why I prefer longer sports like Baseball and Hockey because you need endurance over a yearly period, not just a few months. Baseball is actually much bigger worldwide than American football. Every few years there's the classic, and ton of countries from Netherlands, parts of Europe, Africa, Asia(China, Korea, Japan etc) Australia, Canada, all of Central and South America from Mexico down as well as America of course.

Hockey originated in Canada as far as "Ice Hockey" adding Ice, if you want to go all the way back it actually originated in Ireland then ancient Greece B.C. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hockey#History

The hockey you're referencing is Field Hockey(on foot) and not on Ice, I'm referencing Hockey as it's been a while not Ice Hockey. I enjoy watching hockey.

laflux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@maccyd: Cricket I've never watched because I've never had the rules explained to me in a format that makes sense. It seems like most people don't understand it haha.

Watch 20/20 instead its easier to understand and more explosive.

Or maybe one Day.

MakkyD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@granitesoldier: Ireland is pretty good if you like a variety of sports, since national and international sports are equally popular. Interestingly enough, I think we're the only country in Europe that refers to British football as soccer.

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

Honestly I dont really care about sports in general but I do agree with the argument that soccer has more right to call itself football than American football cause you actually use your feet.

Avatar image for deactivated-6241fa3a1cff5
deactivated-6241fa3a1cff5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dernman said:

Not a fan of sports period. They're fun to do but not to watch.

MakkyD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not in any of the ones you listed. I do like wrestling though. It may not be as popular, but it is international.

People are more likely to know Hulk Hogan or such than Babe Ruth or Tom Brady in Europe, if it cheers you up.

Marshall_Long

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If its not Basketball, then I probably won't watch it.

makhai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

If international sports were worth watching, they would be in America.

Mutant God

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I watch anime featuring sports does that count

russellmania77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I will always prefer to watch nfl football rather than rugby any day.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@maccyd: No I actually meant Olympic wrasslin'. But WWE wrestling is good too.

MakkyD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@maccyd: No I actually meant Olympic wrasslin'. But WWE wrestling is good too.

Olympic sports are generally usually popular. Although that's only because it happens every 4 years, in the meantime, barely anyone usually cares.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Chibi_cute

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Probably boxing.

Iragexcudder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I only watch Hockey and that's fluent just about everywhere.

Handball is exciting

Polo, should be used with swords :)

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#41 JediXMan  Moderator

I like to watch fencing when I can.

albusan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By albusan

I would say most Americans love international sports. If you include basketball, baseball, boxing, Olympic sports, hockey.

phlox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By phlox

I watch soccer and occasionally golf/tennis (some majors and ryder cup)

King_Saturn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I watch Soccer and Rugby... Basketball on the International Level is usually Pretty Good too... so is, Boxing.

MakkyD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@albusan said:

I would say most Americans love international sports. If you include basketball, baseball, boxing, Olympic sports, hockey.

Do most American not just watch NBA and MLB for those sports and ignore any international aspects?

Avatar image for deactivated-627010180bd2d
deactivated-627010180bd2d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I watch international sports on the TV every now and then, but I don't keep track of the players or teams.

judasnixon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Does skateboarding count? It's that the Big Easy Roller Girls, and The New Orleans Saints... That's it....

just_sayin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I know lots of people who follow cricket and European soccer. I sometimes check Cuban baseball scores. When Real Madrid played DC United in soccer, there were more Real Madrid fans in the stadium than DC United fans, and they were the home team. So yes there are US fans of international sports teams. But it is hard to get too attached to a team that doesn't play in your country and you can't see in person.

MrHamWallet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By MrHamWallet

I mainly watch football (the real kind) and ufc/mma. I sometimes watch rugby too, I used to watch boxing but imo the quality has been in decline for a while.

@makhai: Lol not promoting a good stereotype there buddy, there's good reason the RotW couldn't give a sh*t about American sports. The superbowl is the perfect example of this, it's not a sport it's a medium for advertising.

@rpgesus: Lol and the rest of the world wishes America would stop being little girls, take off their padding and armour and play rugby so they could be thoroughly embarrassed by every rugby team...even the Italians. There is good reason the RotW will never play American football.

Basketball maybe...baseball is not popular in Europe, it's mostly the same sport but called softball and as far as I'm aware the only slight difference is the shape of the bat and the size of the ball...no one cares for it though, I wouldn't call basketball popular either. Honestly the only other country I could say play baseball is Japan.

As far as "soccer" goes, dream on man...the mls is a joke of a league that veteran players end their careers in for a big payout and easy games. It is getting better, but it will never even be close to the best. These players are past their peak and only play a season or 2, and young players with potential will never go to the mls because it is seen as a low quality/average league. FYI beating Germany 1-0 in a friendly isn't anything to brag about.

Rpgesus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mrhamwallet: LOL is that why every rugby 'star' comes to the nfl gets embarrassed then run backs to his euro sports