What do you guys expect from a relaunch 1st issue?

Army2442

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Army2442

Basically what do you guys expect from series relaunch first issue or story arc both from the perspective of a long time reader and a new reader. Do you expect a action packed introduction or a new fresh take on the mythos of particular characters? Do you expect a revitalization of the characters origin? Do expect amazing artwork or enticing story lines?

Decoy Elite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By Decoy Elite

Reintroduction of basics and a setting of the general tone of the series.

reignmaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3  Edited By reignmaker

If it's the relaunch of a series, it needs to be accessible. Nothing is more annoying than picking up an issue labeled "#1" and then not knowing what the hell you just read after putting it down.

If it's simply the beginning of a story arc, then the above rule doesn't apply as much. I personally like my stories to begin with a hook of some kind - whether it's an action scene or some new character development. There needs to be something to reel you in early and bring momentum to the story.

akbogert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 31

#4  Edited By akbogert

@Reignmaker said:

If it's the relaunch of a series, it needs to be accessible. Nothing is more annoying than picking up an issue labeled "#1" and then not knowing what the hell you just read after putting it down.

Indeed. This is probably why I've had an easier time getting into New 52 stuff than Marvel NOW stuff, because Marvel NOW has a huge in medias res feel to it and as a new reader that leaves me just as confused as if it weren't a reboot.

@Decoy Elite said:

Reintroduction of basics and a setting of the general tone of the series.

And this is what has made the difference for me in terms of which New 52 books I've stuck with. The ones where I finished an issue and knew exactly what it offered and why I would or would not like to pursue it.

Decoy Elite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Decoy Elite

@akbogert: Marvel NOW was not a reboot. Just so you know.

EDIT I AM DUMB AND READ POSTS BAD.

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#6  Edited By JediXMan  Moderator

Exposition. A lot of exposition.

akbogert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By akbogert

@Decoy Elite: Well to be fair, I did suggest that NOW was a reboot. And it kind of is, though people like to call it a "soft" reboot. When you have things like Avengers, Spider-Man, and X-Men all going back to #1, it's a form of relaunch, even if it maintains continuity.

Army2442

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Army2442

@Reignmaker said:

If it's simply the beginning of a story arc, then the above rule doesn't apply as much. I personally like my stories to begin with a hook of some kind - whether it's an action scene or some new character development. There needs to be something to reel you in early and bring momentum to the story.

I agree, I tried to read The Dark Knight #1 and it opened already in action so I was so confused. I recently started reading Thor again starting with Thor: God of Thunder and I felt it was a separate and complete story so far.

Decoy Elite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Decoy Elite

@akbogert: I like it more than New 52. It's pretty accessible for the most part(there are some titles that didn't do that best job) but I don't have to figure out what canon got thrown out the window.

akbogert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By akbogert

@Decoy Elite: Yeah, I think that's why OP wanted multiple perspectives. I just started reading comics (give or take a few dozen over the past couple decades) after Christmas. So both DC & Marvel were relatively brand new to me, and it's been a lot harder to get into Marvel from that perspective.

judasnixon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By judasnixon

Something new. I want a new writer, a new artist, a new tone for the book, new costumes. If it's a team book, I want a new team. It drives me crazy when they renumber a book, but it's the same book from before. I know not all change is for the better, I'm looking at you Thunderbolts, but at least they are trying something new.....

Army2442

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Army2442

@judasnixon said:

Something new. I want a new writer, a new artist, a new tone for the book, new costumes. If it's a team book, I want a new team. It drives me crazy when they renumber a book, but it's the same book from before. I know not all change is for the better, I'm looking at you Thunderbolts, but at least they are trying something new.....

I agree.