My Sunday at London Super Comic Con 2013

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

Edited By Lvenger

After my first comic convention that I wrote a blog about where I met some guy called Stan Lee, I figured I’d write a follow up blog on my second time at the London Super Comic Con. This will include pictures of some rather outrageous cosplayers, comics I bought, panels I went to and creators I met.

Originally this paragraph would have told you about me going to the Dan Slott Superior Spider-Man panel but unfortunately it was not to be. The comic con was on the same day as many other expos in London including a beauty expo, a baby product expo and a plastic surgery expo. They were in different areas to the comic con so it was quite strange to see people carrying baby products in the same building as people in Judge Dredd and Batman costumes. But I digress, traffic was a nightmare and even after getting out of the car so that my dad could park it and running most of the way there arriving at 11:37, I was too late. The panel was full up by the time I got there so I was most put out at missing my chance of seeing Dan Slott talk about Superior Spider-Man. I was expecting more boos and loud arguing but from the sounds of it, Slott was entertaining the crowd and the crowd seemed to be loving Slott. Seems like us UK Spider-Man fans aren’t as fussed as the American Spider-Man fans are about Superior Spider-Man. Next I tried to get to a signing session with Slott but that was full too. A tad annoying safe to say.

Nonetheless, enough with the negativity. The other creators I met included none other than the legendary George Perez who kindly signed my copy of The New Teen Titans #1. He was really friendly and humbled when I told him I was a big fan of much of his work. Wish I’d taken more for him to sign though given the stacks of comics other fans had with them. Mental note for next time then. My dad took a picture of Perez signing my comic as well as some pictures of Perez doing some independent artist sketches for fans. I’ll edit them in later because I’m trying to avoid the scathing I might get from a particular user (cough lykopsis cough :P) for failing to meet my Wednesday deadline. Also I managed to meet Nick Spencer, current writer for Marvel’s Secret Avengers and known for other projects like the T.H.U.N.D.E.R. Agents and Iron Man 2.0. I have a tenuous link to him in that the daughter of one of my dad’s co-workers is dating him. Small world huh? I’ve also been promised a signed copy of one of Spencer’s comics at some point in the future which is awesome if I’m honest due to a favour offered between said co-worker of my dad’s.

During the rest of my time at the con I had a real look around the place and let me tell you there are plenty of ways for us comic book geeks to lose money there! Original art by the creators, fan commissioned paintings that people buy to put up in their living rooms or something like that, merchandise and of course several lifetime’s supply worth of comic books! That’s where my money went. At the start I had £35 (that’s $57 in US terms) and by the end I had spent £39 ($59) thanks to a generous loan by my dad. Most of them were from a company called a Place in Space which had a great range of old and new comics. They have shops across England and an ebay related site where you can find and buy comics. Personally, the most money saving way I get comics is via a Forbidden Planet subscription which gives me an 11.3% saving on the comics I subscribe to, a Place in Space is the next best bet for UK comic fans who don’t live near a comic store like me. Anyway, these are the comics and trades I came back with:

· Justice League Elite (Volume 1) – Bought this because it contains my second favourite Superman and perhaps comic book story of all time “What’s So Funny About Truth, Justice And The American Way?”

· Batman: Gothic – Love me some Morrison on Batman

· Wonder Woman (vol 4) #1-5 – I’ve started reading this series and figured I should play proper catch up rather than reading synopses online

· Thor: God of Thunder #1 – Only issue they had left and boy was this worth the loan! Such an excellent start to Thor’s Marvel Now! Series

· Domination Factor: Avengers #4.8

· Fantastic Four #492-493

· Detective Comics #647, 715

· Green Lantern (vol 3) #53

· A+X #1 (Free)

· Project Eon #3 – This is a Markosia comic which is a British comic book company. They have dealings with the London Super Comic Con. I quite like the comics from Markosia I’ve read in fact and once I’m in a suitable financial position, I might buy more from them, assuming they’re still around

· The Lexian Chronicles #11 – Another Markosia comic (Free)

· Done To Death – Markosia graphic novel

The last thing I did at the con was go to a panel (at last) specifically Batman through the Ages. It was chaired by Neal Adams, Brian Bolland, Gary Frank, and David Finch. All of them have worked on Batman in an artistically related manner and it was great to hear these well known Batman creators talk about why the character has endured for so long, as well as their time working on Batman. It opened with Neal Adams singing (didn’t expect to hear that did you?) and there was a running gag through the panel of the announcer cutting in with announcements about signing sessions and stuff with the panellists making quips about the announcements. The audience, myself included was chuckling away quite heartily at those. One of the most memorable questions asked at the panel included someone questioning how the panel dealt with negative feedback. What was interesting was that Gary Frank said that there are some people who just complain for the sake of complaining and that he shuts off to those kinds of people many times to ensure it doesn’t affect him. Neal Adams also brought up a very interesting points about particular stories with hindsight. For example, Batman: Odyssey hasn’t generally been well received yet Neal claims he still gets some people telling him that they loved Batman: Odyssey in a hushed tone to avoid scathing looks from the naysayers. It was an example in relation to how some fans hate stories at the time they’re published yet years later say they love it. This made me think of Death of The Family (Snyder got a shout out from Finch btw) and how people are mad about the conclusion. Will the hindsight thing apply to them too? I don’t know but we’ll see in the future I guess. The creators also mentioned how the big differences and game changing stories they write are in response to the fans now rather than the publishers and editors given the rise of the Internet and comic forums like these. All in all it was an awesome panel.

Although this year wasn't quite as special as last year, I had a great time nonetheless. For the most part, the Vine has been my outlet of comic book appreciation so to walk around with people dressed in costumes, to read comics in public and to show my love for the medium is a great feeling. Oh and some of you said you wanted pictures so here are my better looking ones. Apologies about the wonky angles and blurriness. I’ll add in some better pictures from the Internet as well. These ones are mine:

And these are from the Internet

Avatar image for mrdecepticonleader
mrdecepticonleader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

Glad you had a great time :)

That pic of Cap taking a piss cracked me up.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Lvenger

@TheAcidSkull: Thanks! And yeah it was pretty awesome even if it did leave me out of pocket

@mrdecepticonleader: Ha glad I achieved that in my blog! It was one I felt I should include for humour's sake :P

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

#4  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

getting a beat down form the Judges LOL

Sucks you never got to see Slott

Avatar image for yourneighborhoodcomicgeek
YourNeighborhoodComicGeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 15

That Bane looks spot-on.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d921c81bd12c
deactivated-5d921c81bd12c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

You were there the day after me, I'm glad to see you enjoyed it as well :)

Avatar image for New_World_Order
New_World_Order

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By New_World_Order

Awesome !

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Lvenger

@Jonny_Anonymous: It was but the traffic on the way there couldn't be helped. Still I was intrigued to hear Slott playing up the crowd which was pretty cool.

@YourNeighborhoodComicGeek: I never spotted that guy but he does look spot on. It is an awesome costume.

@guttridgeb: You were there too? On the same day as well or just the Saturday? It was awesome!

@ThunderGodsWrath: Thanks!

evilvegeta74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By evilvegeta74

Glad you had a blast!

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Lvenger

@evilvegeta74: Thanks! I did, it was pretty awesome! Though not as special as the time I met Stan Lee.

SavageDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#11  Edited By SavageDragon

Awesome stuff man.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Lvenger

@SavageDragon: Glad you liked it!

evilvegeta74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By evilvegeta74

@Lvenger said:

@evilvegeta74: Thanks! I did, it was pretty awesome! Though not as special as the time I met Stan Lee.

I can imagine. I'm still trying to get to my first one!

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Lvenger

@evilvegeta74 said:

@Lvenger said:

Where do you live? There must be comic cons on somewhere in your country.

evilvegeta74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By evilvegeta74

@Lvenger said:

@evilvegeta74 said:

@Lvenger said:

Where do you live? There must be comic cons on somewhere in your country.

I'm in the U.S, migrating in Atlanta,Ga, Chicago,Il, and Oakland,Ca . I'd like to catch it in California though!

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Lvenger

@evilvegeta74: California probably is your closest bet. You can spend a lot of money there though :P

Pyrogram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 1

#17  Edited By Pyrogram

This is super epic stuff man!

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Lvenger

Oh my blog was up on time so I wasn't late or anything.

evilvegeta74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By evilvegeta74

@Lvenger: I've heard, I'd have to have about 2 1/2 or 3 thousand dollars , I 'm gonna load up when I go.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Lvenger

@Pyrogram: Heh didn't think to use super epic in my blog but it was a heck of a day

@evilvegeta74: 2 AND A HALF THOUSAND? I only spent £40 quid when I went.

evilvegeta74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By evilvegeta74

@Lvenger said:

@Pyrogram: Heh didn't think to use super epic in my blog but it was a heck of a day

@evilvegeta74: 2 AND A HALF THOUSAND? I only spent £40 quid when I went.

Did that help get you by! I've heard stories at my local comicbook store about how people spend and spend there.

lykopis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By lykopis

You are SOOOOOOOOO lucky -- I had a scathing post ready for your wall and everything....

Awesome write-up of the time you had -- gah that you didn't get to meet Slott but then again, considering you met Stan Lee last year, I'm not feeling too sorry for you. I heard he's a pretty funny guy. engaging and down-to-earth and it's great to have that confirmed from across the pond as well.

I was of the mind there was a limit as to how many comics you can get signed although maybe things are more lenient over there. You look adorable -- didn't you want to squish Beast --- all furry and poofy?? ;p

For a while there I thought you were going to be DC centric in your pics but yippee! I see Rogue and Storm and even some Logan and X-23! (I have already dedicated those photos to me -- you are welcome).

Thanks so much for doing this blog - I loved yours from last year and really appreciate you sharing how things are from your end of the world. And that dad of yours is stellar, from taking you there -- dealing with traffic and parking and forking over some cash. Methinks you will be jumping at whatever chance you get to get chores done as quickly as possible....right?

(edited to add: not Storm it's Black Cat -- smacks forehead)

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Lvenger

@lykopis: The crowd seemed to be loving Slott from what I could hear in terms of cheers and laughter. He might not be popular with all the fans but he's popular over here.

I haven't heard anything about a limit on the amount of comics signed but I usually only take a few anyway. Saves on space for what I can carry anyway.

Um that's not me with Beast. In real life I'm more skinny and far less adorable than that guy in the picture. I was trying to get a close up shot of the guy and that was my only shot. So yeah (looks around awkwardly)

Yes of course I took those photos with you in mind (he hurriedly improvised to impress the lady)

Yeah he is a pretty cool dad. I usually do chores anyway to earn my comic book keep but I'll be sure to help him out more with wise words like yours to guide me. And thank you for commenting and sharing your wonderful thoughts on it. I tried to write the blog as best I could to interest everyone but you in particular since you were kind enough to comment on my first one :)

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Lvenger

@evilvegeta74: I found a place that sold comics for 50p. Picked up a few of those and 2 graphic novels. Oh and some modern comics too.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Lvenger: Just the Saturday (unfortunately), I agree that it was awesome. Not every day you get 35 comics for £7! :)

lykopis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By lykopis

@Lvenger said:

@lykopis: The crowd seemed to be loving Slott from what I could hear in terms of cheers and laughter. He might not be popular with all the fans but he's popular over here.

I haven't heard anything about a limit on the amount of comics signed but I usually only take a few anyway. Saves on space for what I can carry anyway.

Um that's not me with Beast. In real life I'm more skinny and far less adorable than that guy in the picture. I was trying to get a close up shot of the guy and that was my only shot. So yeah (looks around awkwardly)

Yes of course I took those photos with you in mind (he hurriedly improvised to impress the lady)

Yeah he is a pretty cool dad. I usually do chores anyway to earn my comic book keep but I'll be sure to help him out more with wise words like yours to guide me. And thank you for commenting and sharing your wonderful thoughts on it. I tried to write the blog as best I could to interest everyone but you in particular since you were kind enough to comment on my first one :)

Let's pretend I meant the cosplayer...>_>

evilvegeta74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By evilvegeta74

@Lvenger said:

@evilvegeta74: I found a place that sold comics for 50p. Picked up a few of those and 2 graphic novels. Oh and some modern comics too.

I see!

Avatar image for New_World_Order
New_World_Order

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By New_World_Order

@Lvenger said:

@Jonny_Anonymous: It was but the traffic on the way there couldn't be helped. Still I was intrigued to hear Slott playing up the crowd which was pretty cool.

@YourNeighborhoodComicGeek: I never spotted that guy but he does look spot on. It is an awesome costume.

@guttridgeb: You were there too? On the same day as well or just the Saturday? It was awesome!

@ThunderGodsWrath: Thanks!

No problem !

xxxddd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#29  Edited By xxxddd

@Lvenger: @guttridgeb: Doesn't it cost money to attend a comic-book convention?(like the San Diego one)

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xxxddd: Yeah it does, LSCC costed £20 on the day for one day (£17.50 if ordered online).

xxxddd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By xxxddd

@guttridgeb said:

@xxxddd: Yeah it does, LSCC costed £20 on the day for one day (£17.50 if ordered online).

Well, I'm never going to comic con. Life sucks:(

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xxxddd: Smaller comic conventions are often cheaper to get in.

xxxddd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By xxxddd

@guttridgeb said:

@xxxddd: Smaller comic conventions are often cheaper to get in.

That makes things better.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Lvenger

@guttridgeb: Which stalls were you at? A lot of mine were from a Place in Space as well as looking around.

@lykopis: Ha OK as you wish!

@xxxddd: Yeah smaller cons cost far less money than the bigger ones. Not as high brow or as much stuff but they're still worth it.

xxxddd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By xxxddd

@Lvenger:

Attending any convention is better than attending no convention.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Lvenger: I went to almost all of them at some point or another, trying to soak up as much of it as possible :)

FatihBATMAN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By FatihBATMAN

nice!!

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Lvenger

@guttridgeb: All of the UK conventions? That's impressive. How many was that?

@FatihBATMAN: Thanks man! :)

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Lvenger: Sorry, I misunderstood you :P

I've been to three so far: Nor-Con in Norwich and the two London ones (I can't remember the other ones name).

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Lvenger

@guttridgeb: The other one is the London Film and Comic Con I believe. At the Olympia Grand Hall according to Google. Haven't been to that one though. Just LSCC twice.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Lvenger: In that case there is more than two - the other one I went to was in the Excel centre as well :)

Avatar image for captainlantern76
CaptainLantern76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#42  Edited By CaptainLantern76

Wow, you had a fantastic time. I hope I can have as much fun when I eventually go to Comic-Con here in America, and I hope that happens soon.

And you really took a picture of Cap urinating? OK....XD

And that Bane/Batman pic is awesome, though it seems odd seeing TDKR Bane with mainstream Batman.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Lvenger

@CaptainLantern76: The smaller ones are mine. The larger pictures are from the Internet to supplement the blog. It was staged that way if I had to guess :P And thanks, I hope you get to go to one too! American comic cons, they're so much bigger and better than the UK ones. Sure you'd have a fantastic time at those ones!

2chimcha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#44  Edited By 2chimcha3

This makes me more anxious to go to my 2nd NYCC in October. Its so far away!

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Lvenger

@sagejonathan: I heard 2012 was a good NYCC event! So lucky you live close enough to go to one of the bigger US cons!