James Gunn Fired From ‘Guardians Of The Galaxy’ Franchise Over Offensive Tweets

Punisher_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Also you guys are hypocrites. What about when Johnny depp beat the crap out of his wife and disney still casted him for another pirates movie? Oh right.... It doesnt work both ways. Disney only fired James because some low life troll went digging his tweets up and it caught storm so Disney had no choice to do so. Not to mention that guy is a total creep you should read his book and his past tweets himself. I dont know why that guy has the authority to cast judgement on anyone. You guys act like Disney is an angel itself look at some of Disneys past animated movies and you can see racism and other stuff.

mickey-mouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

My bad ?....

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 1

@kevd4wg said:

Oh I agree, it's Disney's fault first. They're trying to build a family friendly universe and higher someone who made tasteless jokes. Doesn't make sense.

Anyway, the reason I think it's bad is because Gunn wasn't in his 20's or his youth when he made the jokes, he was a grown man, which is completely different. RDJ, while he had a troubled past, has actually somewhat reformed himself, and admitted his problems, whereas Gunn did not.

Jokes that were made ages ago, were available for them to go and find. But they only react on it now because some Trump fan wanted to punish Gunn for his anti-Trump statements. Good job Mauswich.

No it isn't, because you dont know his state of mind when he wrote them, like he could have been drunk, he was very likely joking regardless and it's not like anyone here is the slightest bit different. Saying he wasn't in his twenties has absolutely no bearing on this.
Gunn, as far as I have understood, apologized for the tweets way back in 2012 and has since moved on. RDJ had his issues, got them sorted and moved on. Gunn has now gotten fired because of stupid tweets, RDJ is still employed despite having inhaled enough white stuff to turn a carpark into a winter wonder land.

JSDoctor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#104  Edited By JSDoctor

Those tweets are absolutely abhorrent and indefensible. Some topics just shouldn't be joked about. My only question is why no action was taken earlier. These were brought up and fussed over around the time of GotG1, so this is not not brand new information. Why is something only being done about it now? It's not as if this is a tape or something that has only just come to light, so it seems weird that a fuss is being made now. Disney is only doing this as a result of them being brought to light again - they are not innocent in all this.

Also, as a reminder of this twisted world we live in, movie directors are held to higher standards than the President now. No offence, but days like this remind me why I'm kind of glad not to be American.

And, Disney, be consistent. Please. If you're going to fire someone for writing offensive tweets, then maybe you should stop making Pirates of the Caribbean movies starring an actor who physically abused his wife. Just a thought. Get your act together.

Anyway, I hope they get Taika Waiti for the next one. He's already proven that he can nail the effortless banter & humour, as well as the zany cosmic style. He's absolutely the logical choice.

juiceboks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105  Edited By juiceboks  Moderator

@theacidskull said:
@juiceboks said:

@heatforce: Apologies are just empty words at the end of the day, and certainly don't make people forgive and forget or reassure endorsement brands you won't do it again. I don't see how protecting a big name image is a kneejerk reaction, or how you can make that claim without being in the executive seat or having really any insight into the behind the scenes of these kind of decisions. Sarah's Hitler impersonation was in fairly different context, and yet she made no allusions to burning people alive. Roseanne's ancestry has very little to do with it, and again that's only one of the more notable things she's done.

I don't disagree with this, but couldn't you apply the same thing in reverse? That an offensive joke is just an empty stream of words at the end of the day?

You've never said anything you regret 5 years down the line? Look I always chuckle when actors/stars screw up and then they play the "wasn't the REAL me" card, but at least Gunn admitted that that is who he was and didn't try to shove it aside like it was someone else talking all those years ago.

No..because words have meaning, intent and often real life consequences. Even offensive jokes and comments are most often reflections of how people truly think and feel. An apology may be enough for some people to forgive you, but they don't undo what you did or said no matter how sincere you may come off as. People should have standards for what they will and won't tolerate, and I think condemning pedophile "jokes" is a pretty reasonable line to draw.

Of course I have, but I don't think it'd be unfair for me to catch flak for insensitive comments I made in my first year of college (age withstanding). Especially if the only reason I'm apologizing for them now is because I was called out on them en masse I.E. damage control. Also let's not pretend this is just one off color joke he made..the tweets number well into the thousands and most of them he deleted. Not to mention a lot of what we have seen him say was making light of rape, sexual assault of minors and general pedophilia..you're speaking almost as if he insulted his ex or something.

Punisher_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thorthunder98: Hey Disney has the right to fire him but don't act like Disney didn't know.

rogueshadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107 rogueshadow  Moderator

@rbt said:

These threads are good to weed out crazy psychopaths from crowd. Just make a note of the people who are defending Gunn even after reading the tweets and avoid them in future.

YYyyyyyep!

JSDoctor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rbt said:

These threads are good to weed out crazy psychopaths from crowd. Just make a note of the people who are defending Gunn even after reading the tweets and avoid them in future.

Damn right. If anyone hasn't read them and is defending Gunn, go ahead and read them. They aren't hard to find. I sincerely hope that changes people's minds.

juiceboks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109 juiceboks  Moderator

@rukelnikovftw: Unless you can actually back up your sincerity with actions, you might as well just be blowing smoke to everyone else.

Avatar image for blackspidey2099
blackspidey2099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Honestly when I heard this I thought it was BS that Gunn was getting fired over some random tweets. But then I read the tweets, and damn those were just crazy out of line for anyone to say. I fully support the decision to fire him TBH, and I'm surprised he was hired in the first place...

Amcu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I also wonder how Marvel/Disney failed to vet him properly.

RukelnikovFTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rukelnikovftw: Unless you can actually back up your sincerity with actions, you might as well just be blowing smoke to everyone else.

Well, yeah to everyone else that may be the case, but there's a difference between seeming empty and actually being empty.

Anyways as I said earlier, in Gunn's case it doesn't make a difference if he means it or not, or if he can back his apologies or not.

mickey-mouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@amcu: They knew, but when it came up in 2012 we weren’t in our current climate. Still he’s and Disney are pretty dumb. He should have scrubbed the tweets a long time ago. He’s apparently got thousands of them. He should have hired a group of professionals to scrub all of his social media accounts.

U can’t defend his oddball sense of humor.

JSDoctor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@amcu said:

I also wonder how Marvel/Disney failed to vet him properly.

They didn't. These were brought up around the time of GotG1, Gunn apologised, and nothing happened. That what makes this even more disgusting - Disney knew and did nothing. From an earlier post of mine:

@jsdoctor said:

Those tweets are absolutely abhorrent and indefensible. Some topics just shouldn't be joked about. My only question is why no action was taken earlier. These were brought up and fussed over around the time of GotG1, so this is not not brand new information. Why is something only being done about it now? It's not as if this is a tape or something that has only just come to light, so it seems weird that a fuss is being made now. Disney is only doing this as a result of them being brought to light again - they are not innocent in all this.

Also, as a reminder of this twisted world we live in, movie directors are held to higher standards than the President now. No offence, but days like this remind me why I'm kind of glad not to be American.

And, Disney, be consistent. Please. If you're going to fire someone for writing offensive tweets, then maybe you should stop making Pirates of the Caribbean movies starring an actor who physically abused his wife. Just a thought. Get your act together.

Anyway, I hope they get Taika Waiti for the next one. He's already proven that he can nail the effortless banter & humour, as well as the zany cosmic style. He's absolutely the logical choice.

Amcu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mickey-mouse: Yeah. Don't know why he or they were dumb enough to

leave them up.

mickey-mouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jsdoctor: Wait r u saying we can’t make pedophile or rape jokes? Cause Family Guy and Robot Chicken does?

I think u shouldn’t make jokes without context. When you do it in a tv show or movie it adds context to the joke. But, oddball social media humor is a big fat NO NO. Don’t do it, cause your words don’t have clear context and you could ruin your life.

Penguin-Dust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Like Ouroboros, Hollywood has become a snake which eats itself infinitely. It’s the new McCarthyism.

Amcu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jsdoctor: It is kinda disturbing that they didn't care enough to do anything about it until now

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 1

No Caption Provided

Note the date.

mickey-mouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jsdoctor: They wouldn’t have made Brolin Thanos...if they fire Depp, then what they gonna reshoot Brolins motion capture with another actor?

None of these things are ever even. Who gets fired is who gets fired. I don’t think the media should try and police behavior because things get really sticky. You fire who you have to because they become a liability; Kevin Spacey, TJ Miller, Rossane, etc.

Remember when Spotify tried to police music artists( R Kelly and Chris Brown) and it totally blew up in their faces because Kendrick Lamar pointed out all of the hundreds of rock stars that have beat women/and or treated women like crap?

JSDoctor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They wouldn’t have made Brolin Thanos...if they fire Depp, then what they gonna reshoot Brolins motion capture with another actor?

I don't remember any big controversy with Brolin. Care to remind me? I certainly don't think he conistently posted thousands and thousands of rape/pedo jokes. Also not sure how Brolin is relevant here...

hundreds of rock stars that have beat women/and or treated women like crap?

That's not okay either. Just because it's hard to deal with this kind of stuff it doesn't mean we shouldn't try. Just because we can't deal with them all, it doesn't mean we shouldn't deal with as many of them as we can

mickey-mouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jsdoctor: https://people.com/movies/josh-brolin-addresses-2004-diane-lane-domestic-abuse-arrest-no-explaining/

mickey-mouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jsdoctor: I don’t think u r thinking about how problematic it is to police the behavior of employees when u have thousands of them? Have you seen how messy things t with the NFL trying to do that? Now think about Hollywood and the music industry trying something similar. Who gets fired gets fired and we should leave it out that. The public will decide who gets executed for what crime...

mickey-mouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@amcu: Is it really shocking now? I mean Bryan Synger, Weinstein, And Spacey were all open secrets. Now this kind of thing is pretty routine I would say jnbthe face of much worse stuff. Things are just different now in the current climate and the public will decide who gets executed and who gets a pass.

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125  Edited By cattlebattle
@outside_85 said:

Jokes that were made ages ago, were available for them to go and find. But they only react on it now because some Trump fan wanted to punish Gunn for his anti-Trump statements. Good job Mauswich.

LOLROFLFOMSL

If James Gunn were a notorious right winger and some leftist people did this too him, I guarantee my testicles you would be singing a different tune.

JakeFuryV2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 15

In today's super sensitive world people are going to look for anything to dig up dirt on people. I in no way agree with what he said but posting it on social media is extremely stupid on his part. The very same thing has happened with NFL players (Josh Allen QB for the Bills) MLB (Josh Hader of the Milwaukee Brewers) and even Hulk Hogan.

Warlockmage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 3

#127  Edited By Warlockmage

@outside_85 said:

LOLROFLFOMSL

If James Gunn were a notorious right winger and some leftist people did this too him, I guarantee my testicles you would be singing a different tune.

QFT

Jgames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

said:
@rogueshadow said:

: I've seen a lot more than that, he's apparently deleted over 10,000 paedophilia/rape etc. related tweets

The hell...?

Oh crap, I thought it was just a few tasteless (and somewhat hilarious) jokes, but if that true then I somewhat understand the decision considering their image. But again context matters, but freedom of speech does not protect how people view you.

A racist joke, can be mistaken as an actual racist remark, because the intend is not known with the joke alone. Same with pedophilia and rape joke. I think people should be able to make any offensive joke they want, but putting it out in public is not the smartest thing to do.

Is a shame thay he got fired considering how much I love the first two movie, and it does not look like he a bad person, but then again who knows.

Amcu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@amcu: Is it really shocking now? I mean Bryan Synger, Weinstein, And Spacey were all open secrets. Now this kind of thing is pretty routine I would say jnbthe face of much worse stuff. Things are just different now in the current climate and the public will decide who gets executed and who gets a pass.

I guess this is probably true. Personally I haven't followed the news that closely lately. And I don't see as much of this type stuff so it's more surprising when I do.

Hawkshade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Live by the Gunn. Die by the Gunn.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b5405244e89c
deactivated-5b5405244e89c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Good, GotG sucks and he can go back to horror and stop with this generic crap.

xzone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132  Edited By xzone

In come the liberals to defend this idiot because he also happens to hate trump. Pathetic

Avatar image for thebestofthebest
ThEBeStOfTheBeST

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

His tweets:

“Expendables is so manly I f—ed the s— out of the p-ssy boy next to me,”

“The best thing about being raped is when you’re done being raped and it’s like ‘whew this feels great, not being raped!'”

“I remember my first NAMBLA meeting. It was the first time I felt ok being who I am,”

“I’m doing a big Hollywood film adaptation of The Giving Tree with a happy ending — the tree grows back and gives the kid a b—job.”

lmao

https://www.thewrap.com/james-gunn-apologizes-offensive-old-tweets-rape-pedophilia/

Damn.. lmao

Avatar image for deactivated-61d5b935096d2
deactivated-61d5b935096d2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The man has obviously said some stupid and tasteless things. Should everyone who has ever made a joke that could be construed as offensive lose their job? Or does it only matter if they’re caught? What about controversial comedians? Clearly he’s been fired due to tactical reasons on Disney’s part rather than any moral issues they may have with him.

I don’t really care about this guy or his films but I question the PC precedent that is being set.

Avatar image for deactivated-613e82c4b95f9
deactivated-613e82c4b95f9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 201

@theacidskull said:
@juiceboks said:

@heatforce: Apologies are just empty words at the end of the day, and certainly don't make people forgive and forget or reassure endorsement brands you won't do it again. I don't see how protecting a big name image is a kneejerk reaction, or how you can make that claim without being in the executive seat or having really any insight into the behind the scenes of these kind of decisions. Sarah's Hitler impersonation was in fairly different context, and yet she made no allusions to burning people alive. Roseanne's ancestry has very little to do with it, and again that's only one of the more notable things she's done.

I don't disagree with this, but couldn't you apply the same thing in reverse? That an offensive joke is just an empty stream of words at the end of the day?

You've never said anything you regret 5 years down the line? Look I always chuckle when actors/stars screw up and then they play the "wasn't the REAL me" card, but at least Gunn admitted that that is who he was and didn't try to shove it aside like it was someone else talking all those years ago.

No..because words have meaning, intent and often real life consequences. Even offensive jokes and comments are most often reflections of how people truly think and feel. An apology may be enough for some people to forgive you, but they don't undo what you did or said no matter how sincere you may come off as. People should have standards for what they will and won't tolerate, and I think condemning pedophile "jokes" is a pretty reasonable line to draw.

Of course I have, but I don't think it'd be unfair for me to catch flak for insensitive comments I made in my first year of college (age withstanding). Especially if the only reason I'm apologizing for them now is because I was called out on them en masse I.E. damage control. Also let's not pretend this is just one off color joke he made..the tweets number well into the thousands and most of them he deleted. Not to mention a lot of what we have seen him say was making light of rape, sexual assault of minors and general pedophilia..you're speaking almost as if he insulted his ex or something.

Yeah but in the same sense an apology or an insult will have as much weight as you give it, at the end of the day? And I don't think its reflective of how people truly think, not always at least. Go back a few years and a 13-14 year old me was extremely homophobic. Doesn't mean that I haven't grown up since then. I said some crazy stuff back then, the only difference is that I didn't have social media at the time so no one can find anything about me. And lets say you do find something, would you ban me now because of it? I know that's an extreme example, but the idea is the same.

Don't get me the wrong way, these jokes were gross and despicable, but there is no way in hell Disney didn't know about them and I'm certain they have been addressed before (I think he's mentioned before that he regrets saying what he said) Why fire him? They knew that he said outrageous sh*t to shock people right?

I agree that there should be a line in the sand, but these lines differ due to personal/cultural/etc factors. Firing someone for something they said years ago seems just seems a little, I don't know, extreme? Yeah I get it, the things he joked about isn't something you should make light of, but realistically speaking joking about these things wasn't that big of a deal back then, not as it is now.

If I'm missing something here also fill me in incase I'm speaking too much out of my ass - all I know so far is that he made some screwed up jokes to mess with people and now someone got upset about it and they are firing him.

If he actually means the crap he says then that's a whole different deal entirely.

Rebake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bella_blackstar: I don't remember you ever saying anything good about the MCU though.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b5405244e89c
deactivated-5b5405244e89c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Avatar image for deactivated-5b60e98a8eb99
deactivated-5b60e98a8eb99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rebake said:

@bella_blackstar: I don't remember you ever saying anything good about the MCU though.

She despises the MCU almost as much as she despises Sentry.

RabumAlal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

How did you find the tweets?

juiceboks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#140 juiceboks  Moderator

@theacidskull:

Yeah but in the same sense an apology or an insult will have as much weight as you give it, at the end of the day?

So a better way of going about this is..what? Excusing any and all comments as just talk? Unfortunately that's not how normalization and desensitization works.

And I don't think its reflective of how people truly think, not always at least. Go back a few years and a 13-14 year old me was extremely homophobic.

It definitely is to some degree, at the very least you think such speech is appropriate which is an issue in it of itself. 13 year old you should have been challenged and held accountable for your words to some degree.

Doesn't mean that I haven't grown up since then. I said some crazy stuff back then, the only difference is that I didn't have social media at the time so no one can find anything about me.

And I would never know if you actually changed or not if I didn't know you past those comments (and even then you can learn something new about people everyday). As a public figure people only know what you put out there for them to judge you by. If you have a platform then you should use it wisely or face the consequences. This isn't a new concept, but people are starting to be become less and less tolerable.

And lets say you do find something, would you ban me now because of it? I know that's an extreme example, but the idea is the same.

That analogy doesn't work for several reasons. We're not employees and what you do outside of this site is your business. However if this was a company and I did oversee you then I would definitely bring it up as a point of concern should you become a prospect for some sort of public position. If nothing else that protects my ass and my job should I be traced back to your stupidity, and whether you get fired or not depends on your current position in the business and how many people know about it. That's just me being an objective overseer and doesn't take into consideration things like endorsement deals and possibility of burning bridges with potential backers..how I personally feel about it is a different story.

Don't get me the wrong way, these jokes were gross and despicable, but there is no way in hell Disney didn't know about them and I'm certain they have been addressed before

They did. They first came up 6 years ago.

Why fire him? They knew that he said outrageous sh*t to shock people right?

Because it resurfaced and gained more traction as the MCU has become more and more popular. This was obviously a damage control move but that doesn't make it wrong.

I agree that there should be a line in the sand, but these lines differ due to personal/cultural/etc factors.

Some acts are objectively terrible things, and in the context of the U.S pedophilia is generally one of them.

Firing someone for something they said years ago seems just seems a little, I don't know, extreme?

That depends on the severity of the comments and how many were made. Apparently there were thousands and they started 9 years ago.

Yeah I get it, the things he joked about isn't something you should make light of, but realistically speaking joking about these things wasn't that big of a deal back then, not as it is now.

I'd say that depends on who you ask, and even so IMO that's part of the problem and goes back normalization and desensitization.

If I'm missing something here also fill me in incase I'm speaking too much out of my ass - all I know so far is that he made some screwed up jokes to mess with people and now someone got upset about it and they are firing him.

He made more than just some jokes. If you haven't read them I'd suggest you do if you want to get a better picture of what we're all talking about.

If he actually means the crap he says then that's a whole different deal entirely.

I mean no one can actually prove without a doubt whether he really believes in what he said or not, especially since it happened years ago. But even in jest those comments are in poor taste to put it lightly, and as a director for one of the biggest corporations in Hollywood you have to be more responsible than that.

Saberscar223

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

adamTRMM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Damn it escalated like a blitz. Just as I was afk for a couple of days.

Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 140

@punisher_: it's not the LGBTQ people complaining.

Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#144  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt

Part of me empathizes with Gunn because its sucks to have sh** from the past bite you in the butt after you've gotten your act together but at the same time,,,, that is some f**ed up shizz and you cant really blame Marvel for wanting to cut ties with him.

Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Asgaard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#146  Edited By Asgaard

So the provocateur excuse...

Like Horn said... Indefensible.

Kinda sad because Gunn did give something to the comic book movie genre...

FaradaySloth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I saw a person on Twitter. defending Gunn by saying that Seth MacFarlane makes rape jokes and he doesn't get fired. Gunn's defenders are morons.

incursion2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah can't really blame Disney for this one, its a shame though I liked Gunn. Those tweets were...something else.

Dcmarveljoseph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Let’s all at least agree that his tweets were gross and weird like it really makes you wonder what the hell went through his brain.

owie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#150 owie  Moderator

Seems perfectly reasonable. Freedom of speech doesn't mean you get to keep your job if you make pedophile jokes that don't really sound like jokes. Corporations fire people for a lot less than this.

And other people know how to make movies. GOTG will be fine. Ragnarok was funny, Ant Man 1 & 2 were funny, Homecoming was funny, we're all good. They should hire Seth Rogan or somebody like that.