inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

Edited By inferiorego  Staff
No Caption Provided

It's no secret that NBC's Constantine hasn't been living up to its potential. The Friday night time slot at 10/9C seemed to be NBC setting the show up for failure. While fans clamor to social media using #SaveConstantine in hopes of getting more people on board, many see this show, which didn't even get the order for a full season, coming to an end very soon.

While the show did recently move to an 8/7C time slot on Friday nights, it yet again failed to live up to NBC's standards. In its new time slot, the show dipped down to 3.1 million viewers and a rating of 0.8 among 18-49 year olds. During a recent TCA press tour, Jennifer Salke and entertainment chairman Robert Greenblatt discussed the show and whether or not it will get a second season:

"Still talking about [renewing the show],” Salke said. “We wish the show had done better live. It has a big viewership after [live airings] in all kinds of ways, and it has a younger audience. The live number is challenging. It hasn’t kind of come out of Grimm the way we wanted it to. We love the show. I think it’s fair to say we’re really still talking about it."

The question rises "what were the live numbers compared to the dvr or streaming numbers?" The way we watch television now compared to 10 years ago is vastly different. Not everyone watches television live because we live in this age of convenience where we can have what we want at our fingertips. Frankly, as a fan of Constantine, I'd love to see the difference in numbers.

While Salke has this mildly-optimistic tone within her comments, Robert Greenblatt seemed to be pleading almost immediate regret about doing the series.

We got on the bandwagon of these shows based on comic books, and maybe there are too many of them. It’s a popular series of comics, but it’s not The Flash. It’s not Batman, so maybe it suffers a little bit there. But as Jen said, it’s a show we really liked. We love Matt Ryan, who is the star of it. I think we did right by the fans who didn’t like the film that was made of it, and I think the future is still up in the air on that show.

No Caption Provided

He's right. John Constantine is not Batman or Flash. They took a chance on a character who isn't a super-hero or as widely popular and expected Batman or Flash results. The show truly does stand on its own merit and is a good but not great adaptation of the HELLBLAZER comic book series. But is the show really still up in the air? While there's this glimmer of hope in that quote, it feels like they're just saying so it doesn't cause an uproar with fans.

It all comes back to "why is this show not doing as well as fans think it should?" I've done my fair share of finger-pointing because I'm a fan, but maybe it just doesn't have the broad appeal we all think it does. Sure, when Constantine came back from its break, in its new time slot, it wasn't only towards the tail end of the season, with pre-established characters and world, but it was also the second part of a two-part story. However, that shouldn't matter. It still took a hit in the ratings.

We could sit here all day and talk about television like how Firefly wasn't picked up or give hope and say Arrested Development got three seasons on FOX without having a huge audience or even that the first season of Parks and Recreation is awful compared to the rest of the series. However, it's pointless and the future is in the hands of NBC and it doesn't look incredibly great. Sure, there's a glimmer of hope for Constantine, and frankly, I, along with a many other Constantine fans, would love to see a second season to this show. For right now, let's just keep our fingers crossed and pray to Mnemoth that we can get some more of this show.

AMajorDoubter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Nope, I still have faith that this great show will continue.

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Unfortunately it makes sense that they need to capture higher "live" ratings. It doesn't matter if people are watching on their DVRs or streaming since that means people aren't "watching" the advertisements. That's where the network will make money. Why would anyone want to pay big bucks to advertise on a show where everyone is simply going to wait to watch so they can fast-forward through their product?

viin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If Gotham and even Agents of Sheild can get a second season I would hope that this could too.

timelord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I hope NetFlix picks it up if it gets axed. It's a low budget show that would be perfect for it.

LordDarkFox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

#6 inferiorego  Staff

@g_man said:

Unfortunately it makes sense that they need to capture higher "live" ratings. It doesn't matter if people are watching on their DVRs or streaming since that means people aren't "watching" the advertisements. That's where the network will make money. Why would anyone want to pay big bucks to advertise on a show where everyone is simply going to wait to watch so they can fast-forward through their product?

Yeah makes sense. But I live in a delusional world where advertisers are cool with me fast forwarding through their expensive ads just so Constantine can get a second season

Avatar image for captainmarvel4ever
CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

This show needs to continue, Constantine is one of few A list characters that work better with a show then a movie, and Matt Ryan is absolutely perfect, I cannot see anyone else as Constantine but him.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8 the_stegman  Moderator

It had a much stronger start than AOS and Gotham, and they both got second chances, then again, never underestimate MCU and Batman fanboys.

doombot890

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@timelord: even Amazon could pick it up hopefully. Although I'm just hoping NBC move it to a night that isn't friday

Xrated48

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

At first I felt bored watching this show except for the second episode but it wasn't until episode 6 that I started enjoying the show so I am hoping it does not go away

webofthornns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Love this show and would like to see another channel (cable) to pick it up, i think it could be successful elsewhere

AwesomePerson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They want more viewers?????

ADVERTISE!!!!!

Avatar image for captainmarvel4ever
CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They want more viewers?????

ADVERTISE!!!!!

Nonsense, clearly NBC's "Pretend it doesn't exist" strategy will work out for them in the end.

Avatar image for deactivated-5fbfd5d291164
deactivated-5fbfd5d291164

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 74

User Lists: 7

Pls live.

longbowhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

I actually watch the show live every Friday. I have no life, so I can do that.

UltimateSMfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Anjon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The main problem with this show is the pacing. Kind of like "Forever", the other supernatural show that debuted around the same time, it feels like important plot details are being withheld for a twist reveal later, even when there's no reason they should have been hidden to begin with.

For example, all the buildup about Zed's past feels like the actual reveal will never be big enough to warrant all the secrecy. It's just exhausting when the story stops to reference her crazy upbringing as if it's on the same caliber as Constantine fighting an immortal demon-fueled witch cult from time immemorial.

In the first episode, Constantine's backstory with his failed exorcism was brought up in decent detail, but then they devote a large amount of time retelling it in a later episode. Meanwhile, a lot of viewers felt that the girl from the first episode and the stuff about how important she and her deceased father were was... not actually that important and was swept entirely under the rug.

All of the trailers for the series put heavy emphasis on that character being a central figure to the story, but she just poofed and I can't even remember her name. She certainly isn't in that image with what I assume is considered the main cast.

It'd be cool if the show stuck around, but I don't think it's fair for anyone to blame its poor performance on comic adaptation over-saturation, or on it "not being The Flash or Batman". Most people had no idea it's even based on a comic book, and the show itself does its best to distance itself from anything even resembling the comic.

righteous300

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think it just needs to be on a different channel.

Strider1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 10

#19  Edited By Strider1992

The problem was Constantine had a rough first few episodes but it is a show that has gotten increasingly better as the series continued. Unfortunately I believe that the initial bad stint it had scared away nearly all of the standard viewers (ie: people who aren't comic fans) leaving only the more loyal fans of the comics.

I believe had Constantine started with the same caliber as the Saint Of Last Resorts we wouldn't be having the conversation.

SynCig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 45

I feel like such a broken record but this show seriously needs a second season. It's such a great time and if it gets cancelled after what is essentially half a regular season then I'll be super pissed. As much as I love The Flash and Agents of SHIELD, they still don't compare to Constantine for me

AwesomePerson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

HolyLouie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Legend of Korra strategy : Air the show online

Flicker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Flicker

@the_stegman: It really feels like Fox and ABC got behind both of their respective shows and gave them time to find an audience. I really don't feel NBC has done the same with Constantine.

Avatar image for madeinbangladesh
MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 172

MEh won't miss the show. I just hope Matt Ryan Continues to play Constantine in the Justice League Dark movie.

~MiB

SoA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

maybe netflix or hulu can save it .

Legend of Korra strategy : Air the show online

or this

Avatar image for the_impersonator
The Impersonator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 50

Maybe they should have stick with the title, Hellblazer.

Avatar image for knightsofdarkness2
Knightsofdarkness2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This show better continue.

Avatar image for buttersdaman000
buttersdaman000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By buttersdaman000

I need my Zed fix NBC.....I needs it.....

I
I
Needs
Needs
It *scratches neck*
It *scratches neck*
Avatar image for fuzzylittlerodent
FuzzyLittleRodent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I need my Zed fix NBC.....I needs it.....

I
I
Needs
Needs
It *scratches neck*
It *scratches neck*
No Caption Provided

bladewolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's a good show. I think it's also hurt by the fact that the first two episodes were fairly dull and directionless. It got VASTLY better after that, but I think a lot of people fell off before giving Ep 3 and onward a chance.

Fallingcliffs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It shouldn't matter if it's DVR's or live, that's such a lame way to judge a show coming back or not. Point is if people WATCH who cares if it's live or not? People have lives, jobs, school etc they can't expect people especially on a friday night of all days to stay home every Friday just for a TV show....

As for ads, HA, who watches ads outside of the Superbowl? Exactly...nobody wants to watch 5 minutes of crap commercials or nonsense. So to me it doesn't make sense to judge just on "live ratings" they should tally weekly based on overall views meaning live and DVRed....

Hope this comes back but it's on NBC so I'm not sure, should have been on CW...

mak13131313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Keeping my fingers crossed!

lagozzino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#34  Edited By lagozzino

@fallingcliffs: Errrrrr, you do know that ads are the only reason TV shows get made, right? TV shows are just the filler that channels air in between commercials. Unless we're talking about a subscription service that you're directly paying for, ad revenue is the main revenue a show will be making for its channel.

So it doesn't matter if Constantine is the most DVRed show in America, if research shows that most people who watch via DVR are just skipping past the commercials, then those views don't matter much. There's very little reason for a channel to keep a show on the air when a rerun of The Voice would probably bring in only slightly less viewers for basically no cost.

If everyone's lucky, DVD sales will be strong and there's enough interest from international channels to compensate for the low ratings.

iceslick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 83

@g_man: Well I guess maybe they should at least count Hulu ratings because Hulu still have commercials/adverstising for streaming even for paying customers.

Avatar image for stmichalofwilson
StMichalofWilson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 107

I think it just needs to be on a different channel.

Yup

BatWatch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 238

I'm not exaggerating when I say I don't think I've watched a show live for a decade unless it was at a friend's house.

MrMazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 299

User Lists: 8

Guys it pulled a .8 in the demo at 8pm, if the show weren't already dead because it didn't get a back. Pulling a .8 made made sure it got a shotgun blast to the head after its zombiefied corpse started to shamble a smidge.

Numbuh1Nerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If Gotham outlasts Constantine, I will undoubtedly f@%k s*#t up.

HolyLouie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@numbuh1nerd said:

If Gotham outlasts Constantine, I will undoubtedly f@%k s*#t up.

Gotham has already been picked up for a 2nd season and Constantine will most likely be cancelled ...you can start f@%k s*#t up.

Fallingcliffs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Fallingcliffs

@lagozzino said:

@fallingcliffs: Errrrrr, you do know that ads are the only reason TV shows get made, right? TV shows are just the filler that channels air in between commercials. Unless we're talking about a subscription service that you're directly paying for, ad revenue is the main revenue a show will be making for its channel.

So it doesn't matter if Constantine is the most DVRed show in America, if research shows that most people who watch via DVR are just skipping past the commercials, then those views don't matter much. There's very little reason for a channel to keep a show on the air when a rerun of The Voice would probably bring in only slightly less viewers for basically no cost.

If everyone's lucky, DVD sales will be strong and there's enough interest from international channels to compensate for the low ratings.

Yes, mostly but that doesn't mean people have to sit and watch them or have the time to yo know that right? We're in 2015, not 1970...people DVR, Tivo, internet streams, torrents, Netflix, Hulu etc, etc. You take all of that away and bet you anything most shows now would do "bad" by rating wise. When you watch something you tape, you watch the commercials or zip through them? Only show i watched live was Smallville and Flash, other shows I tape plus they tend to be on bad times such as Constantine and TMNT on the weekends I'm kind of busy...

Also for this reason or at least partially, a lot of shows, web series and digital series etc are going to exclusive other options not mainstream TV such as youtube machinima, netflix and amazon prime. This will only grow too keep in mind, the best thing about those options? NO COMMERCIALS! lol Also, I'm pretty sure dude 99% of people who DVR stuff don't watch the commercials...who in their right mind would do that? Defeats the purpose of DVRing it aside from missing the live broadcast.

They can keep it on the air especially when other shows that didn't start off well like AOS or The Cape some how lasted longer...

I also know while comic book shows especially are all preference, I have a hard time digesting the fact that AOS and Gotham are not being canned but Constantine is...I still say it's the timeslow and channel more than anything, had this show been CW this wouldn't be an issue. As far as I'm concerned the only show/event that people actually care to see ads/commercials is the Super Bowl...

I think people emphasize way too much on ratings, otherwise by this logic AOS should have been canned but people see "Marvel badge" so that saved the show more or less...I mean look at Almost Human, great pilot, show but Fox canned it.....

Avatar image for constantstrange
ConstantStrange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Like others have already stated.. If this gets axed while dull a$$ Gotham gets a second season I will be supremely disappointed. You're not gonna' find a better Constantine than Matt freakin' Ryan. And again, I really think the writers did the show a disservice by not giving Constantine an origin.

Saint_Sophie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hopefully it either stays or please hopefully Netflix gets it (as mentioned

MatthewParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

This show is done on NBC, there's still a chance it could be picked by another network, or a streaming service though.

MatthewParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#45  Edited By MatthewParker

@fallingcliffs: AoS getting renewed had nothing to do with a 'Marvel badge" it's ratings were more than double Constantine's thats why it got renewed, because it got good ratings not because it's a Marvel show. AoS S1 had an avg rating of 2.39, while Constantine S1 has an avg rating of 0.97.

Fallingcliffs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@matthewparker: I disagree, sorry but I dont buy that, first season of aos was horrible...

Avatar image for deactivated-097092725
deactivated-097092725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

It needs more cowbell.

Zeeguy91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

Damn it! If only I had a TV so I could watch it during its airtime!! I really do hope it finds its audience! And soon!!

Avatar image for comicsrulebutdbzdoes2
ComicsrulebutDBZdoes2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nah the firsrt half was horrible and it dont really matter what you "buy" there the stats and tbh marvel really know how to promtoe their MCU @fallingcliffs:

Fallingcliffs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Fallingcliffs

@ Comicsrulebutdbzdoes2: First season of aos was bad.....if you compare it to smallville, flash etc. dc knows how to promote too, has nothing to do with promoting, its the station and timeslot in this case...

Thats also my point, constantine started off slow as well but clearly improved...good writing unfortunately has nothing to do with 'ratings'