Posted by Erkan12 (1512 posts) 4 months, 6 days ago

Qui-Gon Jinn vs. Ben Kenobi (15 votes)

Qui-Gon Jinn (Episode I) 67%
Ben Kenobi (Episode IV) 33%

I think this is a good match. Ben Kenobi (57) vs. Qui-Gon Jinn (60)

This one is good analyse, you should watch.

#1 Posted by Intrepid37 (410 posts) - - Show Bio

Not sure. I'm leaning Qui-Gon, but I would have to give this more thought before concluding it completely.

#2 Posted by Jeepeh (2864 posts) - - Show Bio

Isn't ben like.... 20 years older than Qui-gon? And we saw qui-gon be much more agile. Why would Ben even have a chance?

#3 Posted by Evilbeavers (95 posts) - - Show Bio

Qui-Gon. Old Obi has way less impressive feats.

#4 Edited by ShootingNova (13378 posts) - - Show Bio

Jensaari's videos are not canon, and at times he has inaccurate descriptions. That said, he has a fairly decent summary of the duel in that video.

If this is movies, Qui-Gon wins. Ben has demonstrated nothing that Qui-Gon couldn't do.

Regarding the EU, Qui-Gon beats Ben in strength, likely speed and TK. However, Ben's Soresu was able to hold against Vader, and I see no reason why Qui-Gon's Ataru would be any more effective in penetrating Ben's defense, considering how Ben knows how Qui-Gon fights, but Qui-Gon doesn't know Ben's technique. His Soresu could potentially last long enough for Ataru's physical demands to drain Qui-Gon of energy, and then a swift counterattack could wear down Ataru's weak defenses and proceed to fell Qui-Gon.

That is basically Kenobi's only way of winning. If his defenses can't hold against Qui-Gon, then he gets slain. If telekinetics become part of the duel, Qui-Gon likely wins.

That said, I don't see why Kenobi's defensive/stalling techniques couldn't hold against Qui-Gon, especially considering how Ben has the advantage of familiarity with Qui-Gon's technique.

I'm not sure who would win a majority, as of now.

#5 Edited by dccomicsrule2011 (21340 posts) - - Show Bio

This one is really, really really close. I don't know who I would take for the majority. I would say Obi-Wan out of my hate for Qui-Gon ( I loathe him with a passion) but that would be me being bias. =/

#6 Posted by RetconCrisis (3249 posts) - - Show Bio

This one is really, really really close. I don't know who I would take for the majority. I would say Obi-Wan out of my hate for Qui-Gon ( I loathe him with a passion) but that would be me being bias. =/

One does not simply loathe a character played by Liam Neeson, Zeus himself.

#7 Edited by dccomicsrule2011 (21340 posts) - - Show Bio

@retconcrisis:

One does not simply loathe a character played by Liam Neeson, Zeus himself.

I'm sorry, but Liam Neeson sucked as Qui-Gon. Q__Q

Not a suprise seeing as how the whole Phantom Menace movie sucked in general.

#8 Posted by RetconCrisis (3249 posts) - - Show Bio

@dccomicsrule2011: I'm just kidding, Neeson showed a lot less emotion as Qui-Gon than I had first anticipated. The only decent acting role in the entire movie was probably Ewan McGregor. And even his performance wasn't that good. Both McGregor and Neeson, seem to be much better actors outside of The Phantom Menace.

#9 Posted by ShootingNova (13378 posts) - - Show Bio
#10 Posted by RetconCrisis (3249 posts) - - Show Bio

@shootingnova: Oh yeah, completely forgot about him. He was great in the entire prequel trilogy.

#11 Edited by ShootingNova (13378 posts) - - Show Bio

@retconcrisis: I think Ian, Christopher Lee and Ewan McGregor were the only good actors in the prequels.

#12 Posted by RetconCrisis (3249 posts) - - Show Bio

@retconcrisis: I think Ian, Christopher Lee and Ewan McGregor were the only good actors in the prequels.

Yeah. And Samuel L. Jackson as Windu was basically a calmer Samuel L. Jackson.

#13 Posted by ShootingNova (13378 posts) - - Show Bio

@retconcrisis: You could kinda tell he was about to swear, at times.