Alex Mercer Vs Cole MacGrath

zaied

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Surprised this is even still mildly debated. Alex stomps up close and Cole stomps from a distance.

NotATreeABush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#302  Edited By NotATreeABush
BatmanFan11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#304  Edited By BatmanFan11

Cole wins.

It's true, Mercer is quite the juggernaut, but here is the thing, he has a weakness towards electricity and cold. Cross, a well trained man was capable of stunning Mercer with just a taser, can you just imagine, what Cole's electricity would do to Mercer? Then there is the fact, Mercer's bio mass is tissue, hence his two weaknesses and before you think Mercer could fool Cole with his shapeshifting, WRONG! Mercer's shapeshifting would be useless as Cole's radar pulse would detect that it is Mercer, giving Mercer's chance of fooling Cole down the drain.

In the end, it's Cole that comes out on top.

DraciosV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zaied said:

Surprised this is even still mildly debated. Alex stomps up close and Cole stomps from a distance.

Pretty much.

LORD_OF_HELL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#306  Edited By LORD_OF_HELL

Cole wins.

It's true, Mercer is quite the juggernaut, but here is the thing, he has a weakness towards electricity and cold. Cross, a well trained man was capable of stunning Mercer with just a taser, can you just imagine, what Cole's electricity would do to Mercer? Then there is the fact, Mercer's bio mass is tissue, hence his two weaknesses and before you think Mercer could fool Cole with his shapeshifting, WRONG! Mercer's shapeshifting would be useless as Cole's radar pulse would detect that it is Mercer, giving Mercer's chance of fooling Cole down the drain.

In the end, it's Cole that comes out on top.

My thoughts exactly! I always thought that a fight between Alex Mercer and Cole would be like Superman vs Batman Captain AMerica with a kryptonite shield and gun. Its a fact that one is stronger than the other, but the fact that one is severly weak to something gives the other a huge advantage. Thats something Prototype fans dont seem to get.

Avatar image for hocko1999_virus
Hocko1999_VIRUS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#307  Edited By Hocko1999_VIRUS

Cole stomps. I don't get why most people who say Alex wins seem to forget that Alex got raped by some loser with a taser.

Parryboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I SHALL POST IT AGAIN.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6BR6z8ZBuv4

MERCER GOT HURT BY A TAZER.

Spiderman1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Cole. I like him more and I never seriously played Prototype.

Avatar image for vintage_spiderman
vintage_spiderman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mercer is overrated

Pope052

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ah, it's nice to see this thread again every once in while.

Mercer still laughably stomps MacGrath in practically all possible fields.

ethankirkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

after playing all the infamous games and prototype games, i am going to go with Cole because technically standing in a games end sense the only person who has killed Cole is Cole, Alex will put up a fight and Cole will put up a fight if mercer gets close he better kill him fast other wise Cole (going off all powers seen just to be safe) could easily put some space between them regenerate heath. plus Cole is a giant power plant if mercer stabs him he better hope there's not a back lash of energy other wise theirs no winner. now mercer is a tank with no ammo but with turbo and if close enough Cole has not much he can do. Cole is a corvette with more weapon attachments then the marine corps has guns sadly a majority is longer range so if at a distance will dominate the playing filed. just depends on the circumstances. but my over all vote is cole

Dygoboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#313  Edited By Dygoboy

Mercer uses Devastator. It's super effective. And bumper.

Dygoboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#314  Edited By Dygoboy

Bumps.

UndinehunterTitan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dygoboy: All basic attacks that stun > Devastators that can be stunned by a simple tackle

Avatar image for the_caped_crusader
The_Caped_Crusader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Cole MacGrath.

ElderSkaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@leo-343 said:

I'm not understanding how Cole doesn't just fry Mercer on sight.

Maybe because Alex can run really fast and create a shield. Don't forget Alex also has long range attacks like the whipfists which can cut Cole in half by impact.

ElderSkaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@leo-343: And by the way Cole's lightning bolts can't even one shot a normal soldier, Mercer who can withstand missiles shouldn't shrug to much.

Maverick_6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@elderskaar said:

@leo-343: And by the way Cole's lightning bolts can't even one shot a normal soldier, Mercer who can withstand missiles shouldn't shrug to much.

Cole fried a legion of soldiers by sending several lightning strikes down on a group of soldiers and downed an aircraft carrier with a giant lightning bolt. A Tetrajoule level bolt like that would take Mercer out.

Avatar image for deactivated-579e79a09210d
deactivated-579e79a09210d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

Alex literally curbstomps Cole

CitizenSentry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Alex absolutely godstomps Cole.

ElderSkaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@elderskaar said:

Cole fried a legion of soldiers by sending several lightning strikes down on a group of soldiers and downed an aircraft carrier with a giant lightning bolt. A Tetrajoule level bolt like that would take Mercer out.

Cole using his Ionic attacks drains his powers totally and if he misses he loses all his powers and has to recharge, giving Mercer the opportunity to close up and consume him.

UndinehunterTitan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@citizensentry:

@elderskaar: A meat shield is no good against electricity. Especially when said electricity can bypass through it.

Not to mention Alex is not faster than lighting either. He might be able to one shot Cole (dare I say two-shot) but if he can't reach the target, what's the point? Whipfist can easily be knocked away too, or be used as a conduit (lol) for Cole's attacks

Oh and right, homing lightning is OP. Homing lightning that can take out something that needed a citybuster to die for a minute? Even more OP.

Avatar image for deactivated-57d17c2439784
deactivated-57d17c2439784

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ElderSkaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@leo-343 said:
@elderskaar said:

Maybe because Alex can run really fast and create a shield. Don't forget Alex also has long range attacks like the whipfists which can cut Cole in half by impact.

A shield which hasn't been tested against Cole's attacks, which has broken from repeated shots. All of Cole's electricity based attacks are far faster than Mercer's, not to mention he could 'zoom' in for a precision blast. Honestly though one lighting strike from the sky would be enough.

Sure it hasn't but Cole have not shown the damage output to actually put down someone on Mercer's tier (Cole isn't as powerful as he was when he faced The Beast so don't use that showing) Mercer has biomass all over the place so he could instantly heal his wounds and when Cole is trying to use his Ionic storm ability he actually stands there and fills himself with electricity for like 2-3 seconds in the game and that would give Alex the time to leap away.

ElderSkaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@citizensentry:

@elderskaar: A meat shield is no good against electricity. Especially when said electricity can bypass through it.

Not to mention Alex is not faster than lighting either. He might be able to one shot Cole (dare I say two-shot) but if he can't reach the target, what's the point? Whipfist can easily be knocked away too, or be used as a conduit (lol) for Cole's attacks

Oh and right, homing lightning is OP. Homing lightning that can take out something that needed a citybuster to die for a minute? Even more OP.

Like i said Cole got depowered IIRC after he faced The Beast.

UndinehunterTitan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@elderskaar:

End game he took out the Beast after powering up the RFI. He didn't use the RFI before taking it out. He stomped the Beast then used the RFI. He needed a nuke to go down. Cole took that Beast down. Alex was took down by a nuke. Simple comparison.

Biomass all over the place? What are they fighting in a slaughterhouse now?

Like I said, attack while draining. Heck if he hits Alex once, he'll recover energy. And Alex will be stunned and his regeneration will halt. Infinite combo time? Yes.

Maverick_6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

UndinehunterTitan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@maverick_6:

@maverick_6: And that's after tanking some minigun bullets without even moving :D

Homing omnidirectional lightning storm FTW

Heck if Alex gets batted around by Cross, who freaking uses that electric weapon on the cutscene and web of intrigue to hunt down a runner, then Cole's got this in the bag.

There is simply no way for Alex to win.

Cole

+ Cole's output is more than enough to take out Alex and he can recover enough energy

+ All of Alex's attacks will be interrupted and stealth is useless

+ Ranged attacks will be countered and his speed is slower than lightning

+ All of Cole's attacks stuns and cancels regeneration

+ Ionics/Karmic Overcharge > Devastators startup time

CitizenSentry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@maverick_6:

@maverick_6: And that's after tanking some minigun bullets without even moving :D

Heck if Alex gets batted around by Cross, who freaking uses that electric weapon on the cutscene and web of intrigue to hunt down a runner, then Cole's got this in the bag.

Cole

+ Cole's output is more than enough to take out Alex and he can recover enough energy

There is a difference between stealth and shapeshifting into a different person all together.

Also let's not forget that Alex has Armour and Shields.

UndinehunterTitan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@undinehuntertitan said:

@maverick_6:

Cole

There is a difference between stealth and shapeshifting into a different person all together.

Well there is a slight problem with that. Radar Pulse detects any enemy nearby, even distinguishing them from friend and foe. And it also allows Cole to perform a distant X-ray. So seeing other peoples' organs and the fact that it also detects anomalies (mini spider golems, and blast shards) . So that pretty much counters Alex's shapeshifting, completely.

Flesh Armor and Shields. Flesh armor and shields that didn't defend him from Cross' battle with his electric weapon. And Cole has damaged other beings that are composed of flesh (corrupted) and elements (The Beast and the Ice Soldiers), heck even insulated bulletproof rubber (First Sons). Since Alex is biomass composed, well, that's his downfall. If Cole had fire powers only I would've given it to Alex but sadly no

Sheeno64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Alex.

nefarious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Mercer.

UndinehunterTitan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sheeno64: You know one words doesn't really say much on what you reasoning is on why said character wins. Just a thought

Maverick_6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@undinehuntertitan said:

@maverick_6:

Cole

I'm not gonna say there is no way that Alex can't win. But to say Cole can't win is wrong. His lightning Strike definitely has the damage output to take him down, and reduce him to mush. Like I keep saying, he downed an aircraft carrier, and even then, he can casually melt steel walls of said carrier without missing a beat.

No Caption Provided

And then blast a hole through it, top to bottom. Something that no conventional lightning strike could do. Regular lightning strikes have a temperature of 54000-100000 degrees fahrenheit and energy total, in the gigajoules range. That can't down an aircraft carrier. But this is no regular lightning strike,

No Caption Provided

Saying cole does not have the damage output would be very wrong. His armor I would say, won't withstand that. Something like that would turnmercer into smouldering at the bottom of some steaming crater deep in the concrete.

Sheeno64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sheeno64: You know one words doesn't really say much on what you reasoning is on why said character wins. Just a thought

Tons of reasoning has been provided by other users, and I agree with most of it, since I've played through some of these games. You sound a bit salty.

UndinehunterTitan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@maverick_6: @sheeno64: Hmm, makes sense then. It just annoys me when someone makes a simple one word reply when others make long responses. It feels like undermining their work, mine or theirs I mean. Then again the sentence 'I played through most of the games and I read the responses. I think Alex Mercer wins' isn't too long to type.

But yeah, went overboard with the Alex can't win this. Alex can win this alright, but Cole still would have a much easier time winning.

Sheeno64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@undinehuntertitan: It depends on how many posts there are beforehand, when there's 7 pages full of discussion, I really don't see a need. Just giving my personal opinion and leaving. When there's only a few posts though, you better bet I'm posting reasoning.

CitizenSentry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#342  Edited By CitizenSentry

@undinehuntertitan said:

@citizensentry said:

@undinehuntertitan said:

@maverick_6:

Cole

Well there is a slight problem with that. Radar Pulse detects any enemy nearby, even distinguishing them from friend and foe. And it also allows Cole to perform a distant X-ray. So seeing other peoples' organsand the fact that it also detects anomalies (mini spider golems, and blast shards) . So that pretty much counters Alex's shapeshifting, completely.

Flesh Armor and Shields. Flesh armor and shields that didn't defend him from Cross' battle with his electric weapon. And Cole has damaged other beings that are composed of flesh (corrupted) and elements (The Beast and the Ice Soldiers), heck even insulated bulletproof rubber (First Sons). Since Alex is biomass composed, well, that's his downfall. If Cole had fire powers only I would've given it to Alex but sadly no

When you shapeshift all of your organs change as well. Including your voice, eyes etc...(a good example of this is when Mercer was trying to get into a military base that use iris scanners (Iris' are as unique as fingerprints). So when Cole uses Radar Pulse all he will 'see' is another human being.

Also let's not forget that not even a nuclear bomb could kill Alex, Cole has nowhere near that damage output.

Mercer also has Thermal vision, pretty nifty against a guy that uses electricity.

Also as shown in Prototype, Alex Mercers shields are indestructible as long as he has health. (Unless the plot demands)

Oh yeah and when Mercer gets close enough he will just punch a hole through Cole (and before you go calling me a fanboy, Mercer has punched through a 2ft steel door).

Edit: Tim Bennison, the executive producer of Prototype, described Mercer as one of the most powerful video game characters ever created.

UndinehunterTitan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sheeno64 said:

@undinehuntertitan: It depends on how many posts there are beforehand, when there's 7 pages full of discussion, I really don't see a need. Just giving my personal opinion and leaving. When there's only a few posts though, you better bet I'm posting reasoning.

Ah that makes sense then.

@undinehuntertitan said:

@citizensentry said:

@undinehuntertitan said:

@maverick_6:

Cole

Well there is a slight problem with that. Radar Pulse detects any enemy nearby, even distinguishing them from friend and foe. And it also allows Cole to perform a distant X-ray. So seeing other peoples' organsand the fact that it also detects anomalies (mini spider golems, and blast shards) . So that pretty much counters Alex's shapeshifting, completely.

When you shapeshift all of your organs change as well. Including your voice, eyes etc...(a good example of this is when Mercer was trying to get into a military base that use iris scanners (Iris' are as unique as fingerprints). So when Cole uses Radar Pulse all he will 'see' is another human being.

Also let's not forget that not even a nuclear bomb could kill Alex, Cole has nowhere near that damage output.

Mercer also has Thermal vision, pretty nifty against a guy that uses electricity.

Also as shown in Prototype, Alex Mercers shields are indestructible as long as he has health. (Unless the plot demands)

Oh yeah and when Mercer gets close enough he will just punch a hole through Cole (and before you go calling me a fanboy, Mercer has punched through a 2ft steel door).

Edit: Tim Bennison, the executive producer of Prototype, described Mercer as one of the most powerful video game characters ever created.

Except for that's still an anomaly. And besides, Alex is denser than a normal human (seeing as when he falls on the ground cracks form). Cole has seen through disguises too. A conduit reaper perfectly disguising as a normal human (distinguishes abnormal beings from normal humans) and the militia from civilians (Distinguishing anyone with a hostile thought on him). And again, with the amount of people Alex absorbed? His density and the way his brain is shaped would be completely different. Alex can shapeshift his body parts but he's still a virus and mainly composed of biomass.

The Beast needed a nuke to go down, then recovered moments later. Cole took it down in the beginning of infamous 2 and the end of infamous 2 without using the RFI. That should be enough to take down Alex.

Okay. No stealth for either then

They're flesh sadly. They blocked explosives, bullets, kinetic force. Not pure energy sadly, and they break if they were hit fast enough. Even in Easy/Normal Mode. That's why you can't block everything.

That's alright. Problem is if he can get close enough. One hit can negate any mobility, strength and regeneration advantage. And that pretty much leads to an infinite loop of zap recharge, zap, thunderstorm/freeze

I heavily agree with that. If given the choice I'd rather have Alex's power than Cole's. Or Yakumo Yukari's. But that doesn't really help since Cole can take down Alex.

ElderSkaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I still go with Alex, sure Cole has ranged attacks but Mercer has outrun gunfire before and we don't know how fast Cole's lightning travels considering his bolts doesn't come from the sky but from his hands. When Alex gets close he chops Cole in half or consumes him and is gained electricity powers.

CitizenSentry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

UndinehunterTitan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@undinehuntertitan:

But Cole has no way to keep Alex down, since he is pure biomass.

Oh but he does. Since he's biomass, he's conductive (or at least the Cross battle shows it). Alex can take damage and from Cross' attacks those electric attacks are quite damaging against him, takes out as much as a rocket. Cole's output is much higher than Cross seeing that he can take down the Beast with electricity (a man made of magma) and even an electronic draining monster. Alex can heal biomass, but Cole won't let him. Since Alex heals by running away and remaining out of combat, or consuming someone, he can't do that once he's stunned by Cole's attacks. One he runs out of biomass, it's pretty much GG since he does have a limit to how much damage he can take (nuke took him out)

And if this is a battle, a KO can count as a win. Even freezing him could count. Also, lightning storm calcs are around too. Since the description for the move literally says he summons multiple lightning bolts from the sky

Also, Cole's homing lightning is more than enough to take out Alex. Even the lightning storm can home in. And Alex is not faster than bullets, he gets shot by those all the time. Maybe aim dodge he performed, but he has not 'outran' a bullet before. And since Cole can deal with teleporters who can dodge bullets and move way faster than Alex, well Cole can keep track of the Prototype

CitizenSentry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@citizensentry said:

@undinehuntertitan:

Oh but he does. Since he's biomass, he's conductive (or at least the Cross battle shows it). Alex can take damage and from Cross' attacks those electric attacks are quite damaging against him, takes out as much as a rocket. Cole's output is much higher than Cross seeing that he can take down the Beast with electricity (a man made of magma) and even an electronic draining monster. Alex can heal biomass, but Cole won't let him. Since Alex heals by running away and remaining out of combat, or consuming someone, he can't do that once he's stunned by Cole's attacks. One he runs out of biomass, it's pretty much GG since he does have a limit to how much damage he can take (nuke took him out)

And if this is a battle, a KO can count as a win. Even freezing him could count. Also, lightning storm calcs are around too. Since the description for the move literally says he summons multiple lightning bolts from the sky

Also, Cole's homing lightning is more than enough to take out Alex. Even the lightning storm can home in. And Alex is not faster than bullets, he gets shot by those all the time. Maybe aim dodge he performed, but he has not 'outran' a bullet before. And since Cole can deal with teleporters who can dodge bullets and move way faster than Alex, well Cole can keep track of the Prototype

The OP doesn't specify the rules, henceforth the only way to win is by killing the opponent.

UndinehunterTitan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@citizensentry said:

@undinehuntertitan said:

@citizensentry said:

@undinehuntertitan:

The OP doesn't specify the rules, henceforth the only way to win is by killing the opponent.

Okay, multiple lightning bolts from the sky. Each one extended from 30 microseconds into ten seconds. Each one reaches the surface of the sun's temperature, hotter than a nuke. And that's under 30 microseconds, now it's extended.

That should be enough to kill Alex and turn him to ash. A kill basically if we're playing by that rules

Avatar image for hocko1999_virus
Hocko1999_VIRUS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#349  Edited By Hocko1999_VIRUS

Cole very easily. Alex got smacked like a bitch by some loser with a cattle prod. Imagine what the lightning man would do.

However the only reason Cole wins is because his power is electokinesis and electromagnetism, and Alex evidently has a weakness to electricity. If Alex faced basically anyone else in the inFAMOUS-verse (besides Kessler, the Beast and maybe, maybe Alden) then he would absolutely destroy them.

UndinehunterTitan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hocko1999_virus: That's true. If Cole only had ice or fire, he would've lost easily. Might put up a fight but loses easily, cryo is more debatable tho

And yeah, not so sure about The Beast since that guy can easily perform a city level blast, and in a few days was able to reach New Marais from Empire City while facing an entire army, and is completely fine against conventional weaponry.

If its Kessler, his ability would probably kill Alex easily if he is an enhanced version of Cole. But since he has stamina issues and doesn't seem to drain electrcitiy from sources, that would probably get him killed. Unless his barrier electrocutes everything it touches then if that's the case it could be a tie, or his win

Alden could rip apart Alex but he has no way to kill Alex so yeah.

Now Second Son verse on the other hand is much more interesting. All of the conduits (not the DUP mooks) there showcase that their bodies are composed of energy. No traces of biomass at all.

The way I see it Delsin is untouchable and could keep on regenerating. Alex won't be wounding him

Same applies with Fetch and Hanks, though Hanks might lose with that physical force feat. Abigail can just stay underground and bombard Alex from afar with her powerful attacks, though I don't think he could permanently kill Alex. Eugene can just hide in the digital world. So yeah, the rest don't particularly lose that fast, it's more like a tie.