Follow

DC Comics

Publisher »

Originally known as "National Publications", DC is a publisher of comic books featuring iconic characters and teams such as Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, the Justice League of America, and the Teen Titans, and is considered the originator of the American superhero genre. DC, along with rival Marvel Comics, is one of the "big two" American comic book publishers. DC Entertainment is a subsidiary of Warner Brothers and its parent company Warner Media.

Would U Buy It? #124.5: DC Epics?

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 92

User Lists: 1268

Edited By cbishop
    DateWUBI? # 124.5:View:Attached to Forum:Last Issue:
    11/07/20DC Epics?(Blog) (Forum)Impact.WUBI? #124.
    DC Comics
    DC Comics

I talked about this some in WUBI? #101.5, but for a long time, I've been trying to think what DC could call their trade paperback line, if they decided to do a publishes-everything-eventually line of TPB's like the Marvel Epic Collections. I've been wracking my brain for some of their old titles that would work for Epic-style collections. Showcase was the best candidate, but DC has already used that for their black-and-white Essential-style collections. I finally gave up, and went to the DC Database for a list of titles DC has published, year-by-year.

There are a number of titles that lend themselves to sections of the DC Universe- All Sports, Batman Family, Superman Family, Super Team Family, Our World at War, Fun Comics, Action, Adventure, Detective... things like that. Not many that could cover everything though. Of those, what I came up with was All-Star, DC Super-Stars, DC Special, and Dynamic Classics. Of those, DC Special has already been reused on a few of DC's mini-series in the 2000's. All-Star was briefly a line name for DC, so that might bring up confusion. I've always thought DC Super-Stars was kind of unweildy. That leaves Dynamic Classics. That was a one-issue book, was obviously named to make use of the initials DC, and starred Batman. It could work, but it's a little cheesy. Looking around a little more, there's still DC Comics Presents, but that's a little plain without "Superman and..." behind it, and DC has tried to revive that name a few times already. There's just not a ton that's generic enough to fit DC's entire catalog.

Impact
    Impact

As Epic was originally a separate imprint for Marvel, I thought maybe DC could do the same thing, and revive Impact as the name of their TPB line. Honestly, I don't think Impact was as well received by fans as Epic was, so it might not grab the market the same way, but I've always thought the Impact symbol was a strong one. It might look really good on the spines of bigger collections.

My last choice to ponder is Super DC Giant. This was a six-issue reprint anthology series from DC that ran from 1970-1971. I think it's a strong choice, but again, a little plain. Still, it tells you exactly what it is: A super DC giant collection of comics. It's a bit of a mouthful too when you start putting it with the title being reprinted. Assuming they do it the same way Marvel does, that would mean something like: Justice League of America Super DC Giant Collection, Volume 1. Ugh, that's kind of a beastly title.

But Justice League of America Impact Collection, Volume 1? Yeah, I think that could work. So, that's what I'm going to go with when I suggest an entire series being collected- calling them Impact Collections.

As always, thanks for reading, and thanks for stopping in! :^D

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By cbishop
    #124.5: DC Epics?
    #124.5: DC Epics?

Avatar image for amazing_webhead
    amazing_webhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 20

oh definitely. i'm a big TPB reader.

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@amazing_webhead said:

oh definitely. i'm a big TPB reader.

I was actually going to go with Super DC Giant over Impact Collection, but as I was typing it I changed my mind. I think Impact works well for the idea. We'll see. DC has printed some of the TPB's I've suggested here, but creating a whole line? That would be really cool, but I'm not holding my breath.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.