Follow

Constantine

Series »

John Constantine, master of the occult, is our world's last line of defense against the supernatural. He fights to save the innocent, but is it too late to save himself?

NBC Passes on Season 2 for Constantine

• 122 results
    pikahyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 581

#51 pikahyper  Moderator

SyFy didn't renew Helix so they have an open slot, it would make sense to pick up Constantine.

Snape

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#52  Edited By Snape

@pikahyper:

They said awhile back that weren't interested in picking it up and it was just a rumor.

http://www.franchiseherald.com/articles/22106/20150216/nbc-constantine-tv-series.htm

Maybe they'll change there mind though.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#53 the_stegman  Moderator

Anyone watch Penny Dreadful? I feel like that's exactly how a Constantine show should feel.

No way. Penny Dreadful is flowery and boring to me.

illmatic4177

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I watched the first couple episodes, but for whatever reason I couldn't get into it. But I hate to see any show with a passionate fan base get cancelled. Plus, AoS lost me after the first couple episodes but then won me over later. Good chance this could do the same, hopefully it gets picked up.

Xrated48

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I thought the show pretty good better than Gotham. hopefully it moves to Syfy

MrMazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 299

User Lists: 8

@pizzaman: because as Dan Fineberg at HitFix points out

In its first season, "Constantine" averaged 5 million viewers and a 1.6 rating among adults 18-49 in Live+7 Day figures, numbers that placed the "Hellblazer" adaptation slightly below what "Dracula" did before its cancellation after one season last year.

Its Live demo ratings were roughly a .8 average over the 13 ep run (which is absolutly terrible). Also only doubling in Live+7 viewership isn't that good either, but Live+7 also don't really count for much.

pikahyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 581

#57 pikahyper  Moderator

@snape: ah, then probably not but you never know.

rogueshadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By rogueshadow  Moderator

@greenlanterndeadpool said:

Anyone watch Penny Dreadful? I feel like that's exactly how a Constantine show should feel.

I agree, couldn't stand Constantine, though Ryan himself was decent. I'd like it if they scrapped this continuity altogether, kept Ryan and remade it on HBO. Won't happen but it would be good.

This show just felt too Americanised, it didn't feel like Constantine at all.

Avatar image for madeinbangladesh
    MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 172

WOn't miss the show. But will miss Matt Ryan as Constantine.

COmic readers may have loved the show, but the casual audience mostly didn't care for it.

I didn't either

~MiB

Avatar image for redviperofdorne
    RedViperofDorne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just started watching it on Hulu and it's surprisingly quite good. Definitely gets better as the season goes on. Hopefully gets picked up by Netflix or something. It's too good to let die after one season, Especially when you consider all the other trash shows being renewed.

MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mrmazz said:

It never had a chance of coming back. It's ratings were absolutly horrible and its content wasn't compelling.

Exactly how I felt

Thought the show was just boring as hell to be honest

~MiB

Avatar image for deactivated-5cecb3b554104
    deactivated-5cecb3b554104

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 14

No Caption Provided

But... but...

MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I agree, couldn't stand Constantine, though Ryan himself was decent. I'd like it if they scrapped this continuity altogether, kept Ryan and remade it on HBO. Won't happen but it would be good.

Hell forget about Penny Dreadful, how about Hannibal which is on the NBC also. Consstantine was just another generic show I thought, but if you watch Hannibal, you know how dark and gruesome that show is and it is done beautifully. It's the most violent show on ALL tv and it's on network TV where there is big restrictions. Constantine could have taken a lot of inspiration from Hannibal on how to do horror/scary right IMO

~MiB

comicace3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#64  Edited By comicace3

Lets be real here. When has NBC ever kept a good show longer than 2 seasons?

Avatar image for deactivated-5cecb3b554104
    deactivated-5cecb3b554104

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 14

Hey, on a completely different note, I can totally imagine almost everyone I come into contact on this site as various characters on It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia.

rogueshadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 rogueshadow  Moderator

@rogueshadow said:

Hell forget about Penny Dreadful, how about Hannibal which is on the NBC also. Consstantine was just another generic show I thought, but if you watch Hannibal, you know how dark and gruesome that show is and it is done beautifully. It's the most violent show on ALL tv and it's on network TV where there is big restrictions. Constantine could have taken a lot of inspiration from Hannibal on how to do horror/scary right IMO

~MiB

I agree, when this show was announced, I had faith in it because of what NBC had done with Hannibal and how far they'd pushed the boat on a network channel, so I was pretty disappointed.

Avatar image for deathpoolthet1000
    DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

NBC screw things.

Still people blame the show.

Is the only one that "fail".

Avatar image for comicvine_is_jericho529
    comicvine_is_jericho529

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If the named the show hellblazer and put it on a premium network like HBO or showtime or streaming service like netflix or hulu. where it can be more adult themed it might have worked also under a more darker look much like the comic book was

CrystalMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Never much cared for this show, just didn't hook me the way Flash, Later Shield, and Daredevil did.

Still nothing stopping Constantine from showing up somewhere else and them recasting Matt Ryan, the only consistently quality aspect i can think of.

I pretty much called this shows demise since week two, so this isn't really a shock to me, it does suck that all those people who streamed to save it essentially wasted there time, but life moves on and so does seasons 2's, 1's, 4's, and 3's of all these other great/good shows, and Gotham unfortunately.

Avatar image for technobacon2014
    TechnoBacon2014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By TechnoBacon2014
    No Caption Provided

TechnoBacon2014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mrmazz said:

It never had a chance of coming back. It's ratings were absolutly horrible and its content wasn't compelling.

That was NBC's own damn fault.

MrMazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@technobacon2014: How is it NBC's fault? They paried it with a understandable genric lead in with Grimm and promoted it vigoursly. Sometimes these things just don't work out.

TechnoBacon2014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mrmazz:

1.Shitty timeslot

2.Terrible day (friday)

3.Changed the timeslot out of nowhere.

Now, the actual quality of the show got REALLY good at the end. It showed that this show was gonna thrive. But, NBC didn't give it another chance.

Mich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ahhhh that's a bummer! how does a good show like this one not get another season and iZombie does? I mean no offence to that show it's ok but it's not as good as this one is imo.

MrMazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@technobacon2014: Nam a better time slot that would've made since for Constantine? They changed the timeslot and gave it a chance to grow a hour or so earlier and it didn't work. The vast majority of television fails and when Constantie did nothing to really differentate itself from Supernatural (no matter how much the later is informed by the former) drawing worse ratings on a bigger network, it dosen't make buisness sense to continue.

LemmyCaution

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sorry, Matt.

Avatar image for amazing_webhead
    amazing_webhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 20

those sons of...

Claymore1998

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

Its a shame that its not getting a second season.

From my understanding, a lot of people were not happy with the way the show starts. It starts as a generic horror shows.

TechnoBacon2014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By TechnoBacon2014

@mrmazz: 8:00 was a WAYY better Timeslot for Constantine., They should've kept it like that from the start. I feel like the only reason it didn't work is because people didn't know it was gonna be on at 8 now instead of 10. That's the reason I missed it, anyway.

I feel like Constantine is A LOT different from Supernatural, I've never seen why people say that they're so similar.

"it dosen't make buisness sense to continue." I never said that.

jwalser3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Only watched one episode. It seemed alright.

jonny1995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I will not let this show die!

Heck, this show should have gotten another season than Gotham. Gotham should have been cancelled.

Everyone, we need to send messages to netflix because if Netflix revived this show, it would have been more like the comic-book series because you could get away with anything on Netflix and Daredevil has shown that you can get away with anything.

#SaveConstantine!

CitizenJP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ugh I'm so sad now. Such a cool show and so much potential lost. :/

Magian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

So....

Here's what we've learned from this year's comic book shows.

Constantine was not picked up for a new season.

EVERYTHING else was.

lol Now I found that rather funny for some reason. Anyway, you never know. Another network might pick it up.

Honestly, the show had potential but the execution wasn't always that good. And it took it a while to actually shows us that potential.

Avatar image for sesquipedalophobe
    sesquipedalophobe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hulu is a safe bet. A new staff of writers could help.

Avatar image for the_impersonator
    The Impersonator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 50

HBO or Cinemax should pick up Constantine and the show should include more occult characters like zatanna and spectre. I wanna see gore, sex and state of the art cgi effects

Same here.

Avatar image for superior_prime_maybe
    superior_prime_maybe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There will be Constantine season 2 and more.

I have no proof. I believe. O_______O

Darkmount1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

........And yet they greenlighted shows based on Uncle Buck, Rush Hour, and Limitless.

SynCig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 45

This is literally devastating to me. I loved this show. The only comic book show that tops it is Daredevil but they can hardly be compared. There is so much story potential for Constantine. The people working on the show have a real appreciation for the source material and I think if someone else picks the show up, we could see an even greater second season. I just hope another network picks it up. Even if it is just one season, I need more Constantine.

Avatar image for greenlanterndeadpool
    GreenLanternDeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_stegman said:

No way. Penny Dreadful is flowery and boring to me.

Heh. Maybe I shouldn't have said "exactly" like it. Just from a visual aspect. Constantine just felt and looked too bright for me.

Avatar image for indomitableregal
    IndomitableRegal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm honestly not surprised. When it was streaming, I watched the whole show over about 3 days, and while it was admittedly fun to watch, it really wasn't that impressive. For one, Friday night is an infamously bad time slot, where even shows with a loyal fan-base can suffer from terrible ratings (i.e., Firefly, the 2013 Dracula series, and even cartoons like Korra, which for awhile was the highest rated animated series on TV). Then the show didn't take advantage of the fact that it's a DC show; there were almost no appearances from other characters that viewers would recognize (Zatanna or her father, Etrigan, Spectre, Dr. Fate, etc.). Constantine had a bad habit of talking about some random relic at the beginning of the episode, and then having it conveniently be just what they needed in the end. Also, some of the scenarios were downright ridiculous. Overall, I'd say Constantine was about a 6.5 with Matt Ryan being the best thing about it. It certainly isn't among the top comic book shows.

RybackStun93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

We all know that generally NBC doesn't make good decisions. From the get-go with all the ratings issues Constantine had, regardless of the fact that it is indeed an amazing show, I knew NBC wouldn't renew. I'm actually quite surprised they let the first season finish all of the episodes.

Would love to see this get moved to a network that respects something more than just ratings.

deactivated-579fe0ae58107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 304

User Lists: 27

I saw this coming when NBC announced the show as part of the line-up. I have the same doubts and misgivings about Supergirl on CBS. Super-heroes on Network television? Agents of SHIELD and Agent Carter work because they're basically action/drama/spy shows. If it's not American Idol, good luck on Fox. You can pretty much do anything on the CW. It's like the Image Comics of television. It should be interesting to see how Titans develops on TNT-"We.Know.Drama."

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

#94  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

It needs to get super dark, super political, set in London renamed Hellblazer and moved Hulu or something.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It needs to get super dark, super political, set in London renamed Hellblazer and moved Hulu or something.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

donmeca2020

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

CW should pick it up. They already have 3 DC shows.. Everyone did see this coming though. On broadcast tv, at 8 or 9 on a friday night....

SCOLTON97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really hope the CW pick it up! If they do, they'll have Steve Amell, Brandon Routh, Joseph Morgan and WILL SHATNER ready for them as guest stars. It just has to happen, it deserves a second season. So much potential.

BenStark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Supreme Marvel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.