gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

The Good

Rick Remender is putting Captain America through the ringer. We're now on the seventh issue of his run and we've seen Cap struggle through over twelve years in Dimension Z. He has been raising Arnim Zola's "son" and fighting the environment and the fact that he's been infected. Cap has always been a strong willed fighter but this fight isn't going too well for him.

That's what makes this more and more fascinating. When Remender took over writing Cap, rather than simply continue to tell the same types of stories, he placed him in a strange and different environment. Cap is someone that will take on any odds and won't give up the fight. We've seen this demonstrated throughout the story as well in flashbacks to his youth.

Now Cap has something more personal to fight for rather than just fighting for the good of mankind - Ian, the infant he's raised as his own son. As Zola's plans near fruition, Cap has his hands full trying to reach Ian as well as take on Jet Black (Zola's daughter) and trying to ensure he can survive to save the day. It's tough seeing Cap in this state but in reinforces how much of a fighter he is.

You can feel the pain and struggle Cap is going through in John Romita Jr's art. Cap looks like he's at the end of his rope. I've had some issues with the art before and there still are some here but his pencils along with Scott Hanna and Klaus Janson's inks (and Dean White's colors) really establish how rough this world is.

The Bad

There's a flashback to 'two years ago' and Ian, with his long hair, looks like a girl. His head still appears a little large compared to his torso. Zola's 'creations' just don't look intimidating enough.

As a Cap fan, it's hard seeing him in this state and wondering how he'll come out of this after such a long period of time. But this is more about the idea and not something to be held against the issue.

The Verdict

What the heck does Rick Remender have planned for Captain America? Cap is going on a crazy ride in this series and that's what makes it so interesting. Too often we tend to get almost predictable stories or arcs but with this, I have no idea what Remender has planned to end it all (well, I do have one theory but we don't need to get into that here). John Romita Jr's art is growing on me in this series. The inks by Hanna and Janson along with Dean White's glorious colors make the pages vibrant despite such a dour situation. The intensity of the story is building up and I'm on the edge of my seat, stuck waiting for the next issue. You have to love seeing a character's book shaken up from time to time.

cc1738

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By cc1738

This was really good. I'm excited to see how the story ends.

vesavius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By vesavius

I don't wanna be a hater, but really not enjoying Romita's covers for these that I have seen so far... they have all looked kinda 'off' to my eyes. I used to love his work... maybe my tastes have just changed over the years.

Avatar image for herecomestheboom_headshot
    HereComesTheBoom_Headshot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I've stuck by as a Cap fan, but I'm not at all taken back by the art. It isn't the best, but it does hold tight to the story in a way that keeps me interested. Plus the story itself is settling, to say the least, and I am anticipating whatever climactic ending.

gotwillpower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

I don't mind the art for this book, but I stopped reading 4 issues back. I didn't really understand what was going on, so I lost interest.

Onemoreposter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

JRJ needs to put the JR back on his name. He is not his father and he CANNOT draw like him.

Avatar image for manwithoutshame
    manwithoutshame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

JRJ needs to put the JR back on his name. He is not his father and he CANNOT draw like him.

Absolutely right. John Romita Prime is the only legend in the family.

Mucklefluga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

@g_man Will we see an 'Off my mind' about your theory to what's happening?

Mucklefluga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

They're totally trying to trick people with that on the cover!

Arkhamc1tizen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 33

good news guys John Romita Jr. is leaving to do kick ass 3

Onemoreposter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mucklefluga: @manwithoutshame: Thank you! It's nice to know there are people who still have respect for John Romita (the first, the only as far as Im concerned)

Cap10nate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I liked JRJR when the main character he drew always wore a mask and the the only facial features he had to draw was a bump for the nose.

Not a huge fan of the pumpkin heads he draws for the kids. Kids stop having a head too big for their bodies by the time they turn 1 or 2 . . . not 12.

The art just seems so inconsistent. One panel will look awesome and then the next one looks goofy (usually a close-up of a face).

The story has been really good though.

vPuik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By vPuik

I liked JRJR when the main character he drew always wore a mask and the the only facial features he had to draw was a bump for the nose.

Not a huge fan of the pumpkin heads he draws for the kids. Kids stop having a head too big for their bodies by the time they turn 1 or 2 . . . not 12.

The art just seems so inconsistent. One panel will look awesome and then the next one looks goofy (usually a close-up of a face).

The story has been really good though.

It doesn't bother me, but my coworker has been saying the exact same thing ever since he started reading JRJR stuff few months ago. I think Cap is some of his best work. Of course coloring makes a difference... And a really interesting story.

Hawkguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Hawkguy

I just started reading comics and I agree with everyone's comments on the art, specifically the heads. I do think that Dimension Z is brilliantly drawn, there's a dreary atmosphere to it that I think works well.

Aside from that, amazing issue. Remender's Cap has me on the edge of the seat every month, cheering for Steve. His thoughts every time he gets up make me want to shout "%&@# yeah!"

Can't wait for the next issue!

ScumDestroy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Haven't read any of this run but can't imagine JRJR work looking bad (sometimes it looks a little rushed but..) especially with the brilliant dean white as a colorist. Second only to FCO to me!!

Kenners

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Excellent news that JRJR's leaving the title. My fave Marvel character, consistently ruined by Marvel's worst artist. No match for his dad, for sure.

Fenderxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

I bought the first issue and it didn't really grab me, but I think im going to give it another shot.

tommyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I used to love JRJr's stuff. Now I can barely stand to look at it. It's just sloppy. There was at least one panel were he forgot to draw the moustache on Cap's beard. And the shield size changes dramatically from panel to panel. As for the story, I love most of Remender's Marvel work, especially Uncanny X-Force and Avengers. This storyline is nowhere close to his other work. I wonder if he and BMB wrote this and Age of Ultron at the same time...

DeadboltSIN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By DeadboltSIN

ian does look like a girl it bothered me as well. its a good story but it feels like im watching a childrens cartoon with minimum blood and gore. but i love cap so im going to keep supporting the character by buying the future issues and hopefully the ending will be worth all the money.

I dont know why everyone is hating on the art for me i think it looks really good. except for the big headed children.

wundagoreborn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 3

I liked Remender's comments in the Super Massive podcast about focusing on the positive. Rick's intense, gutsy story is making me count down to this book every month. I think it can't be more wild then Zola's tower lifts off. Incredible.

AngeTheDude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He actually CAN, he just doesn't.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.