Follow

Batman

Character » Batman appears in 23660 issues.

Bruce Wayne, who witnessed the murder of his billionaire parents as a child, swore to avenge their deaths. He trained extensively to achieve mental and physical perfection, mastering martial arts, detective skills, and criminal psychology. Costumed as a bat to prey on the fears of criminals, and utilizing a high-tech arsenal, he became the legendary Batman.

What issue of 52 'Batman' series should I start on?

sonofkrypton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Should I start from the beginning, or is there a somewhere I can slip in without messing up the story?

Thanks!

SOK

LordoftheNorth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

issue 1-11 are the court of owls it really its a great story but you can skip it and not have to worry about missing something important

issue 12 and 0 are stande alones

13-17 is Death of the family but this one has an insane amount of tie-ins so if your the tpye that needs to by them all this one can be ignored mostly becuase its crap

18 is a stand alone that deals with the death of damian

19-20 stand alone Clayface story

and issue 21 onward is Zero Year trash

so really as long as you if you jump on at the begaining of an arc or in one of the stand alones you should be fine

derf_jenkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I started from the first issue. I have enjoyed it all for the most part. The zero year and death of the family arcs were overhyped I think, but still have enjoyed all of it. Grab the first trade which is 7 issues I believe and decide from there. Ask others who have similar tastes as u and see what they think too.

Avatar image for masterdetective
    MasterDetective

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The first, logically.

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
    deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You should buy the court of owls and death of the family in graphic novel form and start getting single issues at 21 forward. That's when zero year starts and it is not trash it is actually very well written and drawn. It has flaws but it is still very good

sonofkrypton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jayc1324: Yea that sounds like a good idea. Ideally I want them all in single issue just because of the "prestige" (if you will) that is attached to it. Thanks!

Bezza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Yep, Court of Owls. I am getting the TP myself this weekend, yippee!!

I also now buy a UK trade monthly by titan comics which gives you three separate Batman stories in one book, albeit a few months out of date. This month we got Arkham unhinged, Detective Comics and Dark Knight....good way of keeping up with Batman on a budget if you are a UK reader. Don't know if the US has a similar thing...

UltimateSaiyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

@jayc1324: Yea that sounds like a good idea. Ideally I want them all in single issue just because of the "prestige" (if you will) that is attached to it. Thanks!

Yeah just go with that. I like to start from the beginning of a series, like I did for Venom. The Court of Owls is a great story line and brings about a new character into his own comic series, called Talon. I love that series so freaking much. I say you can wait and skip the Zero Year story line, as it doesn't really affect the present comic and is just retconning known history of the Batman. I read it though, because I like to be up to date on all things Marvel and DC. Court of Owls and Death of the Family are just great works together. You get to learn Batman's darkest secret, see the fate of Joker after what happened with his face., and see who sides with Batman after it's over and who leaves him. Hint hint: All four of the robins are involved, as well as Batgirl and Catwoman.

sonofkrypton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.