Follow

Batman

Character » Batman appears in 23659 issues.

Bruce Wayne, who witnessed the murder of his billionaire parents as a child, swore to avenge their deaths. He trained extensively to achieve mental and physical perfection, mastering martial arts, detective skills, and criminal psychology. Costumed as a bat to prey on the fears of criminals, and utilizing a high-tech arsenal, he became the legendary Batman.

What are the differences between the multiple Batman comics?

hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By hunter5024

So I am a total comic book noob, but I have recently committed myself to getting more involved with reading them. So I've been looking into the new 52 and I'm a little bit confused about something. Theres 4 different kinds of batman comics and I was wondering what the major differences are between Batman, Batman and Robin, The Dark Knight, and Detective Comics. Are they basically the same but with different artists and authors? Also which of the four would you guys recommend?

Superguy0009e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2  Edited By Superguy0009e

Well this is how it goes:

Batman: Your average book with Batman, usually some other characters come on once in a while. KEEP THIS BOOK (great writing and art)

Batman and Robin: A book to showcase the relationship and toils of Batman AND Robin. Keep this book if you want to see more than just Batman

Batman the Dark Knight: Meant to take a look at the more mystical and darker side of Gotham. Drop this book, the writing is just terrible (art is great though)

Detective Comics: meant to be a more realistic/dirtier look at Gotham Crime, like with serial killers or drug running (more realistic crime) Keep this book f you want more adult Batman tales

hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By hunter5024

@Superguy0009e: Thank you. So these stories are all independent of each other right? The events of one don't affect the others? I'm mainly asking cause I want to know if I have to read all of them to understand what's going on.

foxandwall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By foxandwall
    @Superguy0009e said:

Well this is how it goes:

Batman: Your average book with Batman, usually some other characters come on once in a while. KEEP THIS BOOK (great writing and art)

Batman and Robin: A book to showcase the relationship and toils of Batman AND Robin. Keep this book if you want to see more than just Batman

Batman the Dark Knight: Meant to take a look at the more mystical and darker side of Gotham. Drop this book, the writing is just terrible (art is great though)

Detective Comics: meant to be a more realistic/dirtier look at Gotham Crime, like with serial killers or drug running (more realistic crime) Keep this book f you want more adult Batman tales

Well, I think  after Gregg Hurwitz taking over Batman: The Dark Knight writing duties, the book will become amazing. 
    entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#5  Edited By entropy_aegis

@hunter5024:

Batman is simply Batman's superhero book.It covers all aspects of the character.Keep this book

Batman and Robin is about Damian (Robin) as well as Batman.Keep it as well if you can.

Detective comics is about a more gritty and gory take on Batman,DON'T keep it.The writing is dull and boring.

The Dark Knight... I have absolutely no idea what this is supposed to be about.It sucks simple as that,the writing and characterization is atrocious.It exists because DC wants to keep David Finch with them.On a more positive note a good writer will be joining the team come May.

All these books are independent for the most part.There will be a crossover involving the Court of Owls(the main villains in the Batman book which will cover all the Batman line) but I don't think the tieinns are a must read but who knows.

SmoothJammin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By SmoothJammin

To sum it up Batman, and Batman & Robin are must reads. Detective is very subpar and TDK blows. They all have different writers, each with a distinct feel for the characters. That's what makes it so fun to read Batman. The different takes on this one man, and the ability to produce so many great stories revolving around him. I can suggest to you which titles I enjoy reading but ultimately it depends on your taste. :)

But really don't pick up the latter two.

bigcimmerian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By bigcimmerian

Keep Batman and Batman & Robin

Moonboi91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hunter5024:

The Dark Knight... I have absolutely no idea what this is supposed to be about.It sucks simple as that,the writing and characterization is atrocious.It exists because DC wants to keep David Finch with them.On a more positive note a good writer will be joining the team come May.

Why so much hate for TDK? I started collecting the JLA and then decided to collect each characters individual story and then all the respective arch stories, Ie; all the supermans/bat family/green lantern etc. Currently collecting 35 of the new 52 series. I am finding TDK to be amazing right now especially with the Mad Hatter storyline, so close to the death of Robin I was not expecting the death of Natalya and it showed the side to Batman that sets him apart from the villains. Mad Hatters actions put's Batman on edge. I quote Alfred "you can't. you can't do this. because then you'll be no different from them"The art is amazing and the storyline has me shocked quite a lot

JoeChill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By JoeChill

You should start reading Detective Comics, the next arc looks to be extremely promising and has alot of hype

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I know I'm in the minority but I like Detective comics more than Batman. Batman and Robin has been great so far.

CrouchingTiger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By CrouchingTiger

Batman and Robin. I can't stress it enough. The other three are just Batman and not a whole lot of difference

Al_capOWN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Im enjoying detective comics, not to mention detective comic issue 1 is a hot item!

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

@rustyroy said:

I know I'm in the minority but I like Detective comics more than Batman. Batman and Robin has been great so far.

I like Detective Comics more too.I am sick of Snyder's junk.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.