Follow

Batman

Character » Batman appears in 23658 issues.

Bruce Wayne, who witnessed the murder of his billionaire parents as a child, swore to avenge their deaths. He trained extensively to achieve mental and physical perfection, mastering martial arts, detective skills, and criminal psychology. Costumed as a bat to prey on the fears of criminals, and utilizing a high-tech arsenal, he became the legendary Batman.

The irrefutable truth about the Batman hate

nervmeister

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#201  Edited By nervmeister

It's "Batgod" who people have a problem with. Not a properly written Batman.

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

There's nothing wrong with BatGod either,all major DC characters are Gods. Superman doesn't have to bench a planet or fire lasers out of his eyes to be "super",he can easily be 10 tonner with Wolverine level senses and Spider-Man level speed and still be Superman. Batman is as much a God as Superman,WW,Hal Jordan and Barry Allen. They're all Gods of the DC super hero pantheon.

RisingBean

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nervmeister said:

There's nothing wrong with BatGod either,all major DC characters are Gods. Superman doesn't have to bench a planet or fire lasers out of his eyes to be "super",he can easily be 10 tonner with Wolverine level senses and Spider-Man level speed and still be Superman. Batman is as much a God as Superman,WW,Hal Jordan and Barry Allen. They're all Gods of the DC super hero pantheon.

Yet everybody wants to give Bruce all the acclaim for being a human. The issue is people want it both ways. And to some the issue is why Batman can effortlessly take on Kryptonians, aliens and gods yet have trouble with clowns, drug abusers and burn victims.

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@entropy_aegis said:

@nervmeister said:

Yet everybody wants to give Bruce all the acclaim for being a human. The issue is people want it both ways. And to some the issue is why Batman can effortlessly take on Kryptonians, aliens and gods yet have trouble with clowns, drug abusers and burn victims.

And? God does not imply omnipotence even in the comics,is Loki anywhere near as powerful as Odin? Batman is an archtype,people worship him,he is more than flesh and blood,that's has nothing to do with beating Superman level characters either,it's something that's been acknowledged in regular Batman stories.

RisingBean

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@entropy_aegis: It still doesn't make sense why a guy who can fight Superman has problems with the Joker. It's CIS and insulting to the reader. Batman at this point should be DC's Iron Man.

Also the point I am making for Bruce being human is many give him extra credit for "just being human." But he may as well not be. As you say he is an archetype and transcends flesh and blood. Maybe that's why I prefer Green Arrow to him.

Personally, I'll take the Batman from the Court of Owls or the Arkham game series over Iron-Bat.

HollowMode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#206  Edited By HollowMode

Nah , I like Spider-Man and he's as popular as Batman. I do like the bats also BTW

You know why so much hate against the dark knight? his fanboys. You and all the stupid shitheads that create threads like this "hurr hurr people hate batman" "hurr hurr batman is god" "hurr hurr batman is more popular than your hero".
    Not to mention the "bat wins , with prep" even against people equally gifted(intellect) and even people far superior than him... when he clearly doesn't. . People HATE fanwanking so in the end even if they like the character people are fanwanking about , they will end up hating bats 'cause of good old fanboys.

That is the reason why there's hate against batman

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@entropy_aegis: It still doesn't make sense why a guy who can fight Superman has problems with the Joker. It's CIS and insulting to the reader. Batman at this point should be DC's Iron Man.

Also the point I am making for Bruce being human is many give him extra credit for "just being human." But he may as well not be. As you say he is an archetype and transcends flesh and blood. Maybe that's why I prefer Green Arrow to him.

Personally, I'll take the Batman from the Court of Owls or the Arkham game series over Iron-Bat.

How is it insulting when Joker himself has shown on numerous occasions that he is capable of hanging with more powerful characters? he's beaten Deathstroke(the comic was written by Deathstroke's own creator) and created a nuke,I think it's time people stop underestimating the clown.

He is still just human by comic standards.

KillerKool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He sucks and only wins via prep, lame. I have no favorites, nor do I wish for any hero to be superior, I just like tell it like it is, he sucks!!

Rurgandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The truth about the Batman hate is that fanbase is one of the most immature and obnoxious out there, obsessed with power levels and throwing fits of whenever their pet charter isn't written like a Mary Sue.

Lhynn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Lhynn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@risingbean said:

How is it insulting when Joker himself has shown on numerous occasions that he is capable of hanging with more powerful characters? he's beaten Deathstroke(the comic was written by Deathstroke's own creator) and created a nuke,I think it's time people stop underestimating the clown.

He is still just human by comic standards.

The joker is notoriously weak and easy to beat. Hes just been given plot armor by hack writers way too many times in the last 8 years or so.

ironbart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#212  Edited By ironbart

@Soulaf: If joker has been written with plot armour for 8 years then he isn't easy to beat anymore because of his consistency.

Lhynn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ironbart said:

@Soulaf: If joker has been written with plot armour for 8 years then he isn't easy to beat anymore because of his consistency.

Well, he hasnt shown any praiseworthy feat other than having the ability to inflict plot induced stupidity on everyone.

ironbart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Soulaf: what about figuring out the identities of ever batfamily member and creating joker toxin.

Lhynn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ironbart: I thought he was some sort of chemist. As for figuring out who batman is, according to snyder everyone in gotham knows who batman is, they just have no proof or inclination to prove it. So its entirely on snyders bad writing and stupid logic.

senglord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rurgandy:

Fanboys are A minority of any superhero franchise. The bigger the franchise, the more fanboys.

Fans of Batman, otoh, can observe the rank hypocrisy of most hate because Superheroes are often written as pure power fantasies.

Let me dumb it down for them.

1. Batman fans can read Batman comics.

2. Batman comics are consistently better written than other comics. This is the cause of critical acclaim and awards.

3. Superhero comics are power fantasies designed for an expected audience, and this affects the heroes abilities.

4. The better writing is a requirement to keep Batman fans. Not fanboys.

5. Because Batman fans are more literate than those that become Batman haters.

6. Batman has always been depicted as bounded. This was true in the Gold-Bronze age.It was the revision era of the 1980s-1990s that intentionally subverted the structure and theme of the comic. It is this era that haters decree as the 'real' Batman in most posts.

I will not mention that this era makes it clear that it is Batman that is ultimately responsible for The Killing Joke. Not the Joker himself. (The era was not known for internal coherence, just grim and grittiness)

Haters can only accept the canon that justifies their position, ignoring the overwhelming evidence against their assumptions. I pity them the inability to read a comic book. But comic book readers are not dumb enough to take their demonstrably false position as being sound.

@Soulaf:

The Joker was supposed to be killed in his first appearance over 75 years ago. The change in the ending came from the DC editor.

Bob Kane had him executed in the Golden Age for his crimes. Then had to bring him back.

Frank Miller wrote TDKR as the absolute Last Batman story, climaxing thematically with the death of the Joker, not the fight with Superman. (Compare this to Beowulf reaching its climax with the fight against Grendel, but Beowulf himself dies against the dragon)

Alan Moore writes The Killing Joke with the Joker as the hero, Batman as the monster, and the Dark Knight as the dragon. The ambiguity at the end was a cynical cop out.

Even Death In The Family almost kills him to preserve the integrity of the franchise.

The Joker is the apotheosis of Plot Armor from the beginning, and it will likely not change.

PS. I did not get into reading Batman comics until the Hush-UTRH era. After TKJ and DitF, I could not spend my money on comics that I would expect my kids to read that used an abusive child murdering rapist as its most recognizable mascot.

Hush showed Oracle as someone that could use her skills to stun Superman. A woman who had lost so much helped Batman to stagger a demigod.

Under the Red Hood made Jason Todd into the Count of Monte Cristo, left for dead and he'll bent on fighting old wrongs.

P.P.S.

I will likely end up buying my kids Spiderman th.

Shake My Damn Head.

MaxSchreck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

@frozen said:

People only hate on Batman because they want their less popular run-of-the-mill characters to have the popularity that Batman does. ''Wah, Batman is getting too much exposure! X should have more!'' is a complaint because the vast majority of comic-book readers buy Batman books instead of the character that they like. Ergo, the majority opinion of Batman (a positive one as he is the most popular superhero) irritates them. They don't stop to consider that more people genuinely like Batman more, hence why he receives more $$$ and DC (rightfully) give him more exposure.

The excuse of ''Batman fanboys'' is a social-construction created by haters to justify their hatred of Batman, in addition to Batman being far more popular than their own superhero.

This also explains Arrow fans --- as Arrow (the TV version) is a Batman rip-off, so those who cannot bring themselves to like Batman himself, will instead turn to Arrow (ergo, Arrow fans are Batman fans in disguise).

I am 100% happy that DC is pushing Batman. It is only justified as he has earned his place as the most popular hero. Therefore, I encourage that Batman fans should flaunt Batman's success. It's only justified.

Seems pretty true.

Lhynn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@maxschreck@frozen:

Only true if you are too stupid to realize batmans iconic status makes him immutable in every way. Sort of like Mario. The stories never really go anywere anymore, after the arc and the writer are done youll see no real changes.

My favorite characters are always rather obscure or second fiddle, because you can do interesting things with them, they can go through lasting changes. I just want them to be popular enough so that writers keep writing about them, thats plenty.

BlueHope

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#219  Edited By BlueHope

@senglord: You know that pretty much every big villain dies just to return with little to no explanation right?Green Goblin "died",Dr Doom "died",Magneto, Galactus, Thanos, Darkseid, Doosmday, Bizarro,Dr Octopus,Sentry,Sabertooth, etc

And most of them died many times.And don't even make me start with heroes returning from the dead: Spiderman,Superman,Batman,Flash,Hulk,Thor,Wasp,Nightcrawler etc...

@Soulaf said:
    @ironbart said:

Well, he hasnt shown any praiseworthy feat other than having the ability to inflict plot induced stupidity on everyone.

He has manipulated a lot of people with clear ways, like making a cop wife kill herself by getting his wallet and cellphone while he beat him using his medic name and a sickness that he researched.

Joker is like Constantine and Hugo Strange.

Lhynn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#220  Edited By Lhynn

@bluehope: The joker plot induced stupidity is enough to freeze big generals in place and let him do whatever he wants. Its strong enough to order people around.

But as far as i know neither jason nor tim fear him, at least not enough to be paralyzed in any way. and have been able to best him easily.

BlueHope

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#221  Edited By BlueHope

@Soulaf said:

@bluehope: The joker plot induced stupidity is enough to freeze big generals in place and let him do whatever he wants. Its strong enough to order people around.

But as far as i know neither jason nor tim fear him, at least not enough to be paralyzed in any way. and have been able to best him easily.

The Batfamily are way smarter than most people even trained professionals. Joker hold back for many reasons,sparing people lives when he think it will not have a good impact on the population and/or Batman that was stated since his first appearance, he did captured batman and others of the batfamily but spared them many times.

Joker is easily one of the Villains that most caused damage on heroes lives and Batman couldn't stop him many times while 99% of all other villains fail every single time.

Joker wants to terrorize and mess with the population minds above all so kill or being killed are just means to him.

Also every villain has A LOT of low feats.

Lhynn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#222  Edited By Lhynn

@bluehope: Nonsense, the joker doesnt hold back, the joker is a scrawny dude with no training or inclination to train. He does stuff for shit and giggles. What he has done lately has transformed him into an authors pet with a plot armor as big as the moon, reading anything he appears on nowadays is simply predictable and stupid.

He was scary back when he was vulnerable, because you knew he had to make up for his weakness with really dirty blows below the belt, what he did to barbara, jason and gordon hurt, they were cheap shots but send waves across the batverse. Nowadays hes just a clown putting on a show to try and scare you, its pathetic.

BlueHope

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Soulaf said:

@bluehope: Nonsense, the joker doesnt hold back, the joker is a scrawny dude with no training or inclination to train. He does stuff for shit and giggles. What he has done lately has transformed him into an authors pet with a plot armor as big as the moon, reading anything he appears on nowadays is simply predictable and stupid.

He was scary back when he was vulnerable, because you knew he had to make up for his weakness with really dirty blows below the belt, what he did to barbara, jason and gordon hurt, they were cheap shots but send waves across the batverse. Nowadays hes just a clown putting on a show to try and scare you, its pathetic.

Capturing a hero and not killing him because he simply "don't want to" giving a chance to the hero to get up again is holding back.

Again how is plot armor?Joker always outsmarted pretty much everyone even batman in his stories and how Joker messing with people heads is more predictable than any other single villain going after their goals?Thanos is always trying to kill to please Death ,Galactus always going after planets to feed himself, Anti Monitor trying to destroy the Multiverse,,Dr Doom trying to take over earth etc.

Lhynn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bluehope: No, its not holding back, its the writers chickening out of doing what the joker would do with said hero, that means either kill him or break him.

Joker doesnt outsmart anyone, he simply plays hide and seek while doing the most damage he can in the time he has before batman catches up to him. He also enjoys torturing him psychologically. This super intellect they have given him works against the character, just one more excuse to put a plot armor around him.

Also you do realize you have compared planet busters with some idiot that cant stop laughing at his own jokes? Batman became a literal god on his books, so to keep up they made joker a god as well. Its just bad writing, nonsensical and it destroys any semblance of verisimilitude, stupid trend that i wish would die down already.

senglord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bluehope: All of the above deaths were planned out.

Joker has been penned as dying only to have editorial ham fist an alternate ending.

If DC cannot comic book kill a supervillain well, they are screwed creatively.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.