Follow

Batman

Character » Batman appears in 23669 issues.

Bruce Wayne, who witnessed the murder of his billionaire parents as a child, swore to avenge their deaths. He trained extensively to achieve mental and physical perfection, mastering martial arts, detective skills, and criminal psychology. Costumed as a bat to prey on the fears of criminals, and utilizing a high-tech arsenal, he became the legendary Batman.

How could a failed comedian possibly have the skills to go up against the world's greatest detective?

Fall1n1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Joker is my favorite character, and I love the Killing Joke but it always struck me that a failed comedian couldn't possibly have the level of knowledge in chemistry that he does. Batman himself has to come up with cures for his Joker venom. Joker is the anti-batman, he can match the Bat, but would a failed comedian really be able to go toe-to-toe with Bruce Wayne (a polymath I believe)

I especially thought this during The Dark Knight. There is no way a failed comedian could pull off what Ledger's Joker did.

Just some cursory thoughts. What do you guys think

warlock360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fall1n1: well, let's put it like this. Batman may be the world's greatest detective, but he also lives by some of the world's greatest self-set restrictions, which in turn benifits joker from time to time.

Imagine what Jason Todd with no such restrictions would be in batman's shoes and you have your answer.

Fall1n1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@warlock360 would you mind unpacking that a little more? You're referring to Batman's one rule against killing correct? And then you're saying Jason Todd wouldn't have that rule? But would you say the Joker could also kill Batman but chooses not to?

Or have I missed your point entirely, if so I apologize

warlock360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By warlock360

@fall1n1: joker kind of doesn't want to directly kill batman from what I've understood. He much more thrives on seeing him suffer.

Batman has that code not to kill, mostly not to use guns iirc and also tends to send them to prison or arkham without exacting a form of noticeable concequences.

Let's say my only psychotic criminal goal in life would be to murder one person bat's is close to, and do it. He catches me, maybe brutalizes me and sends me to prison or arkham to rot. But I've achieved my goal and don't care.

Unless I find a next target... Etc.

This is also a "flaw" in todays society imo.

GothamCitizen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By GothamCitizen

@fall1n1 said:

Joker is my favorite character, and I love the Killing Joke but it always struck me that a failed comedian couldn't possibly have the level of knowledge in chemistry that he does.

[…]

If I'm not wrong in that story he was a chemist, but he quit his job to try (and fail) to became a comedian. Anyway I think the best Joker's origins is don't have origins: he worked perfectly well for decades before "The killing joke" and he could continue to work perfectly well also without that story.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.