Follow

Astonishing Spider-Man & Wolverine

Volume »

Astonishing Spider-Man / Wolverine is a team-up book featuring the wise-cracking web-head and the cagey canuck.

Review: Astonishing Spider-Man & Wolverine #2

Zack Freeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 371

User Lists: 0

Edited By Zack Freeman
    No Caption Provided

In a future where super-smart chimps have replaced humans, Spider-Man and Wolverine desperately search for a weapon to defeat the approach of Doom, the Living Planet.

The Good

This issue had delightfully-bizarre concepts like Dr. Doom replacing Ego as a living planet and the Phoenix force getting distilled into a bullet. You read that right - - it's a single bullet with the power to incinerate an entire world. Aaron's clearly having fun finding clever ways to turn these familiar standards of the Marvel Universe on their head. In fact, at times it recalls the kind of things that Grant Morrison was doing in his seminal run on JLA. I've always considered Kubert to be a gold-standard level penciler and his art here lived up to all my expectations. He lavishes detail in such a way that makes every single line look dynamic - - whether it's the appearence of a planet-sized monster or a simple class session with smart chimps.  

The Bad

This story's so crazy, I'm not sure if it's even appopriate for the characters. It worked for the JLA, but I don't know... maybe the whimsy factor wasn't pushed far enough here? As it was, I couldn't get behind it as brawny superhero story, nor a funny send-up, nor even a imaginative exploration of all these heady concepts. It's just standing awkwardly in the middle. I figure that has a lot to do with Spidey and Wolverine getting shoehorned together as a buddies. Sure, they're the most popular character in the MU, but they aren't really good foils.   

The Verdict - 3.5/5

This is one the few modern comics I've read that felt like it'd fit right in with Scott Shaw's Oddball Comics column, which is both a good and bad thing. It's fun to see these characters in such a wild adventure outside of the restrictions of regular continuity, but it doesn't seem to work cohesively. This felt more like a weird annual or an odd issue of Spider-Man Team-Up instead of what I assume the Astonishing line is trying to do.    

MuadDiab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By MuadDiab

but isn't the point of this book that they don't get along as peole at all?? I'll wait and see what I think once I read this issue. Loved the first

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 92

User Lists: 1268

#2  Edited By cbishop

I think they keep putting Spider-Man and Wolverine together, because that Spider-Man vs. Wolverine one-shot did so well, years ago.  That was a great story though (as was the follow up in Web of Spider-Man #29).  To just keep them together because it worked once is not a good idea.  I feel like they're too different for it to keep working.
    XFan616

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By XFan616

Whether two characters get along doesn't make it interesting; the dynamic does. Wolverine and Cyclops completely don't get along, but they have a good dynamic. Same with Thing and Torch. Spider-Man and Wolverine aren't different enough to have a good rival dynamic. They work fine in a pinch, but they're not very compatible.

shawn87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 602

User Lists: 11

#4  Edited By shawn87

i've never even heard of this until now...it sounds kind of stupid really...probably another comic we dont need

goldenkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By goldenkey

Anytime there's a Spider-man Wolverine team up it should be considered.  Back in the day the one shot where they fought each other let people really know just what a bad ass Wolverine was.  The blood being seen splattering over the Berlin wall, Spider-man saying how he was going full out with his punches on Wolverine and the could crush a car and he just keeps coming like he never even got hit, and laughing.  They need to portray Wolverine a little more like that if you ask me.  The fight ended up a stalemate too. 

Avatar image for gambitpryde1993
    gambitpryde1993

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By gambitpryde1993

should be interesting. what does this have to do with astonishing x-men?

Avatar image for yung_ancient_one
    Yung ANcient One

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#7  Edited By Yung ANcient One

THE COVER LOOKS SICK... i hope my brother sees it.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.