Follow

X-Men

Team » X-Men appears in 13420 issues.

The X-Men are a superhero team of mutants founded by Professor Charles Xavier. They are dedicated to helping fellow mutants and sworn to protect a world that fears and hates them.

Iceman is gay(not trolling)

John Valentine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#101  Edited By John Valentine

@stahlflamme: Currently, but that's not changing this history of a character that's been around for 50+ years.

Stahlflamme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

makhai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I don't really have any issues with this, but that's only because he's never been particularly successful romantically, and his female relationships have always been odd - Zelda hasn't been around for decades, and his relationship with Lorna never went anywhere. I actually thought of all of the mainline X-Men, he'd be the one that could be the gay male member most believably. But whatever. It's another Bendis-ism, and I'm guessing he just didn't really know what to do with Bobby, since he wasn't angsty enough.

This can be said about nearly any comic book character though, gay or straight. A lot of Batman fans would get very uncomfortable about the links you are trying to make.

Loading Video...

John Valentine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@john_valentine: Its just teen iceman, you know.

Well, it's slightly different if this teen Iceman is meant to be from the same timeline as adult Iceman.

Stahlflamme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

@john_valentine: I already saw scans on this site were they are talking about how adult iceman isn't while teen iceman is and essentially handwave it as being a special case. Do you expect Brian Michael Bendis of all people to write a logical consequence to something?

John Valentine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@john_valentine: I already saw scans on this site were they are talking about how adult iceman isn't while teen iceman is and essentially handwave it as being a special case. Do you expect Brian Michael Bendis of all people to write a logical consequence to something?

Those scans just seemed to indicate he was closeted.

Avatar image for phoenixofthetides
    PhoenixoftheTides

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@makhai said:

@phoenixofthetides said:

I don't really have any issues with this, but that's only because he's never been particularly successful romantically, and his female relationships have always been odd - Zelda hasn't been around for decades, and his relationship with Lorna never went anywhere. I actually thought of all of the mainline X-Men, he'd be the one that could be the gay male member most believably. But whatever. It's another Bendis-ism, and I'm guessing he just didn't really know what to do with Bobby, since he wasn't angsty enough.

This can be said about nearly any comic book character though, gay or straight. A lot of Batman fans would get very uncomfortable about the links you are trying to make.

You mean like these?

I guess it could be said about any character, but some just ping more loudly than others.

makhai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@phoenixofthetides: Eh, those come from a time when that was not seen as gay. I've never seen anything from Iceman that even suggests gay and I've read every Uncanny up until 540. That's a lot of issues but I admit it isn't all. What issues are you reading that makes Iceman 'ping' as gay to you?

Avatar image for amazing_webhead
    amazing_webhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 20

@owie said:

@amazingwebhead said:

I have a theory: maybe the "original" X-Men are really from an entirely separate timeline?

That's a good idea. I liked the whole original 5 idea at first, but it was kind of a novelty, and it's worn off by now, I want them to go home. But, they've gone through so much I can't see how that could happen without a total mindwipe or something that would make their whole time in the future pointless. So being from an alternate reality would at least solve that problem.

my thoughts exactly!

TrekGrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110  Edited By TrekGrey

@amazingwebhead: I think the pass (their "timeline") will just be erased, but that the present will survive so they will be stuck here in some way. Maybe their older selves never did that time travel? When u write u can do anything u want, also if there is no logic...

amazing_webhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@trekgrey said:

@amazingwebhead: I think the pass (their "timeline") will just be erased, but that the present will survive so they will be stuck here in some way. Maybe their older selves never did that time travel? When u write u can do anything u want, also if there is no logic...

how can the present stay intact if the past is gone?

UHypocrite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

(I will say the same thing from the preview post) O.M.F.G. Soon we will reveal that Magneto's gay since he has no children lol

TrekGrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113  Edited By TrekGrey

@amazingwebhead: If u have cosmic powers like the PF u can do things that don't have logic and change time rules, no?

amazing_webhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@trekgrey said:

@amazingwebhead: If u have cosmic powers like the PF u can do things that don't have logic and change quantum rules no?

point taken

Avatar image for phoenixofthetides
    PhoenixoftheTides

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@makhai: Not really anything, TBH - I just notice that he has a lot of flawed and shallow relationships in which he is professing love, but they never seem to go anywhere nor do they ever seem to have much heat to them (kind of a pun on his codename, I guess), so of all the male team members, he seemed the most likely to end up having unsuccessful heterosexual relationships because he was not really into women. I don't really think it's either here nor there, though - that version of Bobby is so young that they could easily retcon it as him being confused during puberty.

TrekGrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116  Edited By TrekGrey
    Avatar image for hopesummersforthefuture
    HopesummersFORtheFUTURE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@john_valentine: there is more Hey mr. Bendis, which of the other X-telepaths also knew about Iceman - Xavier, Psylocke, Emma and Rachel ? If they knew, does he know that they know?

“There are thousands if not millions of stories of people who, for many different reasons, felt the need to hide their sexuality. The X-Men, with the conceit of time travel, give us a fascinating platform in which to examine such personal journeys,” says All-New X-Men writer Brian Michael Bendis. “This is just the first little chapter of a much larger story that will be told.”

from bendis tumblr so theres more to this story and its slow, maybe iceman will think jean is gay

TrekGrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

HopesummersFORtheFUTURE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for slacker_the_hacker
    slacker the hacker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Loading Video...

TrekGrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

John Valentine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122  Edited By John Valentine
    Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

TrekGrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hahahahahahaha

HopesummersFORtheFUTURE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@koays: im still going to buy it......its has the utopians who r maybe the new morlocks

John Valentine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126  Edited By John Valentine

@hopesummersforthefuture said:

@koays: im still going to buy it......its has the utopians who r maybe the new morlocks

Not impressed with the line-up I've seen.

Not sure why half of those characters are there.

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hopesummersforthefuture said:

Not impressed with the line-up I've seen.

Not sure why half of those characters are there.

Where's the line up?

HAWK2916

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Wow. Its evident that some will defend whatever Bendis does. This is just garbage!! I don't see how people don't see stuff like this for what it is.... A gimmick. Its just like throwing in the token minority just to say you are diverse. Its a joke and I really don't see how some aren't highly offended by this.

I hope this is trashed after or during Secret Wars. I wasn't looking forward to anything from SW but I hope it erases this bullsh*t.

Mooty_Pass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@makhai said:

Here is another scan of the scene.

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

Kinda hot for Iceman now....

ME TOO! YEAH

lxlGiftedlxl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131  Edited By lxlGiftedlxl

@dernman said:

Am I the only one that gets annoyed at her constant invading everyone's minds and privacy?

No I find it very annoying as well.

lxlGiftedlxl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132  Edited By lxlGiftedlxl

Hmm I don't know how to feel about this.

Edit: Eh..not a big deal. He is still Iceman.

maaask12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133  Edited By maaask12
    Rubear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

Dman1366

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Iceman is my favorite character, and I have ZERO issue with him being gay. He's still one of the most powerful mutants and he's pretty funny. That being said, when Emma Frost took control of his body, wouldn't she have noticed his gay tendencies? I know the excuse would be "it was just burried in his sub conscious", but Emma was tapping into fields of his power that even he didn't know about; thus those fields were buried, also, in his sub conscious. Therefor, Emma would have known he was gay.

Question being, why wouldn't Emma tell him or scott? She likes the gay community, and she likes Bobby. And she tells Scott everything. Soooo yeah

lxlGiftedlxl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Veitha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@dman1366 said:

Iceman is my favorite character, and I have ZERO issue with him being gay. He's still one of the most powerful mutants and he's pretty funny. That being said, when Emma Frost took control of his body, wouldn't she have noticed his gay tendencies? I know the excuse would be "it was just burried in his sub conscious", but Emma was tapping into fields of his power that even he didn't know about; thus those fields were buried, also, in his sub conscious. Therefor, Emma would have known he was gay.

Question being, why wouldn't Emma tell him or scott? She likes the gay community, and she likes Bobby. And she tells Scott everything. Soooo yeah

Maybe she didn't want to embarass him? Or maybe she just didn't care(look at her response to Benjamin Deeds coming out). Theen it's a Bendis retcon so it's likely that he doesn't know about the body switch.

JasonBriggs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't care that he's gay, I care more about Jean Grey continuing to be an obnoxious, intrusive jerk in every issue in Bendis' All New X-Men run. She's reached the point of being unbearable.

HopesummersFORtheFUTURE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't care that he's gay, I care more about Jean Grey continuing to be an obnoxious, intrusive jerk in every issue in Bendis' All New X-Men run. She's reached the point of being unbearable.

its bendis words not jean lol

HopesummersFORtheFUTURE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for martianmanhunterisbetterthancy
    MartianManhunterIsBetterThanCyborg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Bendis is a garbage writer

JasonBriggs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jasonbriggs said:

its bendis words not jean lol

Haha TRUE THAT

TrekGrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hopesummersforthefuture: Lol i don't even care anymore...this whole week was a bust the moment Kitty and Starlord got engaged.... God i want Bendis gone

HopesummersFORtheFUTURE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@koays: there wedding wont happen for years since bedis is so slow lol :P

Dman1366

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@koays: wait he did what? Why? :(

Avatar image for yung_ancient_one
    Yung ANcient One

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

If comicbook companies are just going to start outting people, I think Batman should be next. We all know already. It is painfully obvious. He needs to get out of the closet. Aye eSS Aye Pee. (+)

@dernman said:

Am I the only one that gets annoyed at her constant invading everyone's minds and privacy?

Yup. That's why other psychics actually have manners not like Jean or Emma. (+)

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dman1366 said:

@koays: wait he did what? Why? :(

Engaged Kitty to Starlord.....I believe it's because he self identifies as a space pirate who is in love with Kitty Pryde

Dman1366

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@koays: well whatever, at least valiant is killing it

lorex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#150  Edited By lorex

I don't have a problem with an X-Men character being gay. What I do not like is taking an established character that has a clear past of being in relationships with women and making him gay. If it was a natural progression of a story I might be able to understand and get behind it but Iceman has always been depicted as straight. I suppose adult Bobby might have have those feelings when he was younger but that was never depicted before. Also adult Bobby has had ample opportunity to hook up with a man as there was a long established history where Northstar has a unrequited crush on Bobby and nothing ever came of it.This seems more like a stunt to me than any natural progression of story.

Also what the hell is up with Jean outing someone like that. Surely at this point of her Psychic development she has come across many secrets that other people have and has not told anyone, why this one? Surely someone that can read a persons thoughts would know that sometimes that person might think something they don't want anyone to ever know, or since she can see the truth of things she might know that young Bobby might not be able to handle this aspect of hi personality. I don't like making to such a large to a well established character like Icemen or how Jean is misusing her powers. What the hell Bendis.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.