Follow

X-Men

Team » X-Men appears in 13420 issues.

The X-Men are a superhero team of mutants founded by Professor Charles Xavier. They are dedicated to helping fellow mutants and sworn to protect a world that fears and hates them.

What Does Wolverine and the X-Men #40 Mean?

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Koays

What if anything does the end of the Scott/Wolverine convo mean for the X-Men?

Are they agreeing to work together if the need arises? Is this the beginning of a reunion of the factions? Should we expect the two schools to have softball games? Does this even matter since Beast, Storm etc haven't had there team-ups with Scott?

And most importantly, if this is beginning of the end of the split..... is it a good thing?

Avatar image for oldnightcrawler
    oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#2  Edited By oldnightcrawler

@koays said:

What if anything does the end of the Scott/Wolverine convo mean for the X-Men?

Are they agreeing to work together if the need arises? Is this the beginning of a reunion of the factions? Should we expect the two schools to have softball games? Does this even matter since Beast, Storm etc haven't had there team-ups with Scott?

And most importantly, if this is beginning of the end of the split..... is it a good thing?

I don't think this will be the end of there being two X-men factions. It may mean there will be less animosity between the two schools, but the fact that Wolverine and Cyclops are having this conversation in a SHIELD facility for Sentinels at least shows that there's still more going on than what's going on between the two of them.

It illustrates that for all of Wolverine and the other X-men's cooperation with the Avengers and even SHIELD, there are still agencies out of their control and there are still agendas that criminalize people for being mutants. Wolverine may have made his point about why he has a problem with what Cyclops has done, but with everything else that's going on, this escapade still justifies the mission of Cyclops' school.

Sure, Wolverine can pull some strings with Captain America to get Quire out of SHIELD custody, train him to be a guy who looks out for his fellow mutants and gives him a second chance, but he can't save every kid when the system itself is corrupt. The kids Cyclops has rescued didn't even get a first chance, so for all of the good the X-men can do by playing within the system, there's still a call for X-men who don't.

I personally thought the story might have been more balanced if it had felt like Wolverine had understood this the way Cyclops seemed to understand his point, but as it was, this still seems unclear. Still, fun issue.

Avatar image for hopesummersforthefuture
    HopesummersFORtheFUTURE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@koays:

I want this issue, i didnt buy it. :(

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hopesummersforthefuture: Ha, this was the only issue I knew I wanted when I walked in just to see what happened.

@oldnightcrawler:

For me, I think there should've been more animosity between the schools faculty. Like you said there are two very different ideologies here and no matter how Avenger friendly Wolverines group is in the name of acceptance, Cyclops point was proven the moment he walked into a SHEILD sentinel base. For this reason the fact that Wolverine has chosen to stay the course instead of fighting a "revolution" should've been a point of contention in this convo and it wasn't.

I just think this happened to soon, because I was hoping someone would finally "commit to the split" and use it for what its worth. As much as I want the X-Men together (or on the same page at least), I can't help feel that a lot of the potential of the philosophical split was killed by the two leaders coming to an understanding. A lot of ideas, even some good ones for new/younger characters that represent a third side of the conflict are now invalid and unlikely since the factions seem on neutral terms.

oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@koays said:

@hopesummersforthefuture: Ha, this was the only issue I knew I wanted when I walked in just to see what happened.

@oldnightcrawler:

For me, I think there should've been more animosity between the schools faculty. Like you said there are two very different ideologies here and no matter how Avenger friendly Wolverines group is in the name of acceptance, Cyclops point was proven the moment he walked into a SHEILD sentinel base. For this reason the fact that Wolverine has chosen to stay the course instead of fighting a "revolution" should've been a point of contention in this convo and it wasn't.

But you might remember that Cyclops doesn't resent Wolverine's view. He respects that Wolverine is dedicated to protecting mutants, he just doesn't think it's going to end the war.

I just think this happened to soon, because I was hoping someone would finally "commit to the split" and use it for what its worth. As much as I want the X-Men together (or on the same page at least), I can't help feel that a lot of the potential of the philosophical split was killed by the two leaders coming to an understanding. A lot of ideas, even some good ones for new/younger characters that represent a third side of the conflict are now invalid and unlikely since the factions seem on neutral terms.

Or it could be read that a lot of the newer characters already don't want to pick a side, and that's why they're fine just going back to school; that's still a story that could be explored down the road.

But I really would rather both sides just ignored each other for the most part anyway. Storm and Wolverine's traditional X-men doesn't need Cyclops to be the X-men, and Cyclops doesn't need any traditional members to call his team the X-men, so they don't need each other and they're kind of more interesting without each other.

Wolverine's always around, but it's only in the last year that I've started to be interested in Cyclops again, or that we've Storm in charge of the X-men again, and both sides have some good books right now, so I'd actually prefer them to each just do their own thing and get over the perpetual crossovers.

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@oldnightcrawler: That's the thing, for me I feel like Cyclops was too apologetic. It didn't seem like he was defending any of his current actions which I felt this issue should've explored. After a year of Uncanny, as much as I enjoyed it, I think Scott needed to clearly state his goals, or mission statement at least once when Wolverine was talking about how he changed so that there would be a clearly understood reason for why he's still in a Weapon X bunker with Emma and the kids.

I don't want the X-teams mingling to much either as Im enjoying what everyone is doing right now. But it almost seems like Scotts side lives in a different world from everyone else, where Sentinels attack teens in the mall and mutant activist at a rally, while Logans team lives in a world where the X-Men are heroes who happen to be mutants and things are getting brighter. I just feel like if they were going to cross over I should be able to taste the difference between chocolate and vanilla.

But really the only group I felt like needed to have a crossover were Uncanny X-Men and Uncanny Avengers since they spun out of the same concept

fodigg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#7  Edited By fodigg

Seemed like a really rushed way to patch things up and the explanations offered by each seemed to point out why the rift was ridiculous to begin with more than anything.

"You're being wildly hypocritical regarding how you treat my actions while possessed"

"Yeah, well you're not sad enough."

Just makes the whole thing seem even more trite. And no mention schoolchildren vs. soldiers or any of that. I'm surprised they even bothered to bring up Xavier's death. So yeah, they basically point out how they're both acting totally against their previous types over beer and now they're friends again? How's that work? And why, again, why, do they have to always randomly bring up Scott's dead wife into these moments—by which I mean Jean, not Madelyne—thereby making the whole thing seem utterly without meaning except for an old lover's quarrel that fails to portray Jean as a person instead of a prize they used to fight over?

It just. I mean. It's just bad writing. Lampshading all the bad writing that came before and then shrugging and ending the story doesn't really fix anything. Now we all just kinda shuffle on to the new status quo and never mention this again, I guess.

HopesummersFORtheFUTURE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fodigg:

eh dont worry about it they would be back at trying to rip each other throats out in no time :)

oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@koays said:

@oldnightcrawler:

That's the thing, for me I feel like Cyclops was too apologetic. It didn't seem like he was defending any of his current actions which I felt this issue should've explored. After a year of Uncanny, as much as I enjoyed it, I think Scott needed to clearly state his goals, or mission statement at least once when Wolverine was talking about how he changed so that there would be a clearly understood reason for why he's still in a Weapon X bunker with Emma and the kids.

I see what you mean, but to me that would seem.. a bit redundant? Maybe that's just because his reasons already seem clear enough to me. He's been hiding out for the last, well, a matter of weeks(?) because he's still a fugitive, and he's rescuing and training fugitive mutants because he's still got a job to do, and for where he's at, this is the only way he feels he can.

All of which seems a bit besides the point. Cyclops obviously initiated this conversation because he wanted Wolverine's side of what they were talking about (why the others blamed him), which is certainly no less relevant.

I don't want the X-teams mingling to much either as Im enjoying what everyone is doing right now. But it almost seems like Scotts side lives in a different world from everyone else, where Sentinels attack teens in the mall and mutant activist at a rally, while Logans team lives in a world where the X-Men are heroes who happen to be mutants and things are getting brighter. I just feel like if they were going to cross over I should be able to taste the difference between chocolate and vanilla.

I know what you mean, but I like the slightly different versions of the world they represent. It makes the books more distinct. And, most of the time, it shouldn't matter that the stories exist in the same world. It's like when you're reading Alan Moore's Swamp Thing and Batman shows up, and you're like, oh, right. It's not that the two don't make sense in the same world, a world's a big place, it's just that they seem worlds apart otherwise.

I think there's a reason that this story happened in W&tX-men, because, as much as it's about these two coming together against a common threat, it's also very much about Cyclops coming to Wolverine for his perspective, for his advise, and this is the book about Wolverine being a mentor. Considering this book started because of their falling out to begin with, it feels right to have it wrapping up this way.

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@oldnightcrawler: Yea, I guess with it happening in Wolverine and the X-Men the conversation makes more sense in those contexts. And my only gripe left is that its the convo that needed to happen before AvX and not after Scott's revolution.

(I like the Swamp Thing reference) I just feel like only when you look at the X-Force books, has there ever been so much of a difference between the tone of the X-books in terms of the world. But I guess now in the corner of the Marvel U that the X-Men live in there's a line being drawn between the light an the dark....still would like a little more acknowledgement if there doing a crossover however. We'll probably revisit this when Uncanny starts to pick up pace

LordMordor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By LordMordor

Logans comment about Scott not being sad enough does hold some degree of water, at least from his perspective. We as readers know Scott is torn up about Xavier...but from what the outside world and other X-men can tell, he is out there preaching revolution, naming his school after the man he killed, and causing trouble with the governments and organizations they are trying to stay on the good-graces of. Scott represses things...been part of his character since forever. So the rest of the world not seeing the sincerity behind his grief is understandable to a degree.

I do think there should have at least been 1-2 panels of scott explaining why he has to keep doing what he is doing, though the fact that the two are having this conversation in a SHIELD sentinel facility should be reason enough. But I can see why they didn't...Scott has been giving the same response to questions like that since "AvX: Consequences". There needs to be a JGS...but there also needs to be someone out there willing to get their hands dirty to protect it and other mutants. Right now, Logan is the one people trust, so long as that's the case it shouldn't be him working against the system.

Scott told Logan at the end of consequences: "You urged me to be the better man, id like to be that. But as long as you're being the better man, I don't have to be. Instead I can be the one who does what is necessary."

The comments about Jean could have been left out however...whats going on with them and their respective positions right now has nothing to do with her. Let their animosity / reconciliation be about the issues....not which one of them the red-head liked more.

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Logans comment about Scott not being sad enough does hold some degree of water, at least from his perspective. We as readers know Scott is torn up about Xavier...but from what the outside world and other X-men can tell, he is out there preaching revolution, naming his school after the man he killed, and causing trouble with the governments and organizations they are trying to stay on the good-graces of. Scott represses things...been part of his character since forever. So the rest of the world not seeing the sincerity behind his grief is understandable to a degree.

I do think there should have at least been 1-2 panels of scott explaining why he has to keep doing what he is doing, though the fact that the two are having this conversation in a SHIELD sentinel facility should be reason enough. But I can see why they didn't...Scott has been giving the same response to questions like that since "AvX: Consequences". There needs to be a JGS...but there also needs to be someone out there willing to get their hands dirty to protect it and other mutants. Right now, Logan is the one people trust, so long as that's the case it shouldn't be him working against the system.

Scott told Logan at the end of consequences: "You urged me to be the better man, id like to be that. But as long as you're being the better man, I don't have to be. Instead I can be the one who does what is necessary."

The comments about Jean could have been left out however...whats going on with them and their respective positions right now has nothing to do with her. Let their animosity / reconciliation be about the issues....not which one of them the red-head liked more.

I do agree with this, but I feel like Logan said the right thing with the whole "let me be the one she was afraid of" line, since its probably as close to a Jean Grey take on the evolution of Cyclops as we'll get.

LordMordor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

good point, it could be im just tired of everything between them always in the end going to her in one form or another. They are more than that. Schism...Jean. Consequences...Jean. Half the taunts they throw at each other...Jean.

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

good point, it could be im just tired of everything between them always in the end going to her in one form or another. They are more than that. Schism...Jean. Consequences...Jean. Half the taunts they throw at each other...Jean.

Jean Grey's been reduced to nothing but a plot device or a throwaway line...can't change it because no ones brave enough to do a story about her without the Phoenix.

Avatar image for nathaniel_christopher
    Nathaniel_Christopher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd be very surprised if things were just suddenly fixed because of this conversation.

I enjoyed the conversation though and honestly this is probably the best representation of the two i've seen since Schism itself took place, with both making a somewhat decent argument about their views and situations.

AgeofHurricane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

Couldn't give less of a damn. I'm so tired of Wolverine and Scott's tireddrama.

HopesummersFORtheFUTURE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Couldn't give less of a damn. I'm so tired of Wolverine and Scott's tired drama.

agreed

@koays said:
    @lordmordor said:

Jean Grey's been reduced to nothing but a plot device or a throwaway line...can't change it because no ones brave enough to do a story about her without the Phoenix.

Getting really tired of the plot-device

tomasmaclgh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@koays said:

But really the only group I felt like needed to have a crossover were Uncanny X-Men and Uncanny Avengers since they spun out of the same concept

I like this idea. The Uncanny Avengers has appeared in Cable and X-Force and now is set to be in Avengers A.I., so why not have UA meet UX? Plus, the Summers brothers reunion now that Scott is no longer in jail.

@koays said:
    @lordmordor said:

Some part of me was hopping to see Jean come back at the end of BotA. But now that "no more Phoenix", is she alive? Last time she left to put the Phoenix Force together. So, if she does come back, she would have only a fraction of the force. And that would mean that the Force still exists. Right?

Those 4 sentences are probably the best thing that came from Aaron.

HopesummersFORtheFUTURE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@koays said:

I like this idea. The Uncanny Avengers has appeared in Cable and X-Force and now is set to be in Avengers A.I., so why not have UA meet UX? Plus, the Summers brothers reunion now that Scott is no longer in jail.

@koays said:
    @lordmordor said:

Some part of me was hopping to see Jean come back at the end of BotA. But now that "no more Phoenix", is she alive? Last time she left to put the Phoenix Force together. So, if she does come back, she would have only a fraction of the force. And that would mean that the Force still exists. Right?

Jean Grey for President........idk im really tired :/

Eeshaan1685

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tomasmaclgh said:
    @koays said:

@koays said:
    @lordmordor said:

Jean Grey for President........idk im really tired :/

oh hell no lol

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tomasmaclgh:

I always thought that was the whole point of the Uncanny Avengers team, to go after Cyclops since he's a criminal threatening mutant/human "unity". Havok and Cyclops are preaching the exact opposite things as far as Mutants go and I remember after Havoks speech I was like "Rogue is going to Cyclops' team"...but now Uncanny Avengers seems so pointless.

Lol I gave up all my Jean Grey hope(pun intended) during AvX Hope merged with the Phoenix and it wasn't revealed that the reason for all her fear and doubt about it was because she was actually Jean reincarnated. Since then I'm convinced Jean's gonna come back as a butterfly that only Cyclops can see that tells him to ask people what color his eyes are.

M3th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

MetH is sick and tired of Jean and sHe Hasn't "really" came back yet. *sigH*

June'sVeryOwn

HopesummersFORtheFUTURE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@koays said:

@tomasmaclgh:

I always thought that was the whole point of the Uncanny Avengers team, to go after Cyclops since he's a criminal threatening mutant/human "unity". Havok and Cyclops are preaching the exact opposite things as far as Mutants go and I remember after Havoks speech I was like "Rogue is going to Cyclops' team"...but now Uncanny Avengers seems so pointless.

Lol I gave up all my Jean Grey hope(pun intended) during AvX Hope merged with the Phoenix and it wasn't revealed that the reason for all her fear and doubt about it was because she was actually Jean reincarnated. Since then I'm convinced Jean's gonna come back as a butterfly that only Cyclops can see that tells him to ask people what color his eyes are.

Yeah i think havok going after scott's team would be cool but the uncanny avengers already have enough on their plate with the Apocalypse Twins

@m3th said:

June'sVeryOwn

I'm actually getting sick of teen jean grey and im a jean grey fan. I Blame Bendis.

Maddpanda531

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@koays said:

@koays said:
    @lordmordor said:

Cyclops' teeth are flesh-colored and it's kinda unnerving.

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah i think havok going after scott's team would be cool but the uncanny avengers already have enough on their plate with the Apocalypse Twins

June'sVeryOwn

True, but if they had pit the two Uncanny teams against each other when the AvX debates were still hot then they'd still have the Apocalypse Twins to use later. Then maybe UX-Men wouldn't feel so slow, and UAvengers wouldn't seem like an X-Men story without the X-Men.

Maybe even have Wolverines team face the Apocalypse twins, since they have Angel and Genesis at the school anyway.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.