Follow

X-Men

Team » X-Men appears in 13420 issues.

The X-Men are a superhero team of mutants founded by Professor Charles Xavier. They are dedicated to helping fellow mutants and sworn to protect a world that fears and hates them.

Overall Death of X (Issues #1- #4) Discussion *spoilers? Well duh.*

• 51 results
    Robert2928

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

The 4 part miniseries was concluded today and we already knew how it was going to end because of...how Cyclops' death was mentioned in some other comic? Yeah well what did you guys/gals think about it?

You know I've been following Cyclops' character development since Avengers vs X-Men (when I jumped into actually buying comics) and picked up this series out of respect for the character (Like I did for the Death of Wolverine) Personally it felt like forced fanservice for fans of Cyclops because he's given such a "meh" death (suffocation via terriden exposure ) in issue #1. This series tried to give Cyclops some sort of "redemption" to his actions in Avengers vs X-Men, Uncanny X-Men, etc. but...wow such a lackluster death. Speaking of which...Cyclops has "died" 3 times in the last 2 years. From getting blown up by shield in Uncanny X-Men, his neck snapped from Dr. Doom with the powers of a God in Secret Wars II and now suffocation while investigating a distress call in a lab on Muir Island in Death of X WTF? XD *smh*

Regardless as usual the X-Men made out to be the "bad guys" (again) in the upcoming crossover. In 2012 the Avengers movie had came out so they were favored and since that inhumans movie in coming out soon I think they will be favored. I find it ironic because, honestly, in the comics the X-Men are hated and feared because they are different from humans and (in real life) it seems like the X-Men are hated and feared by Disney because the film rights are owned by a different company lol

TL;DR- Overall Death of X isn't that "bad" and I enjoyed it for what it was because they finally gave slim a break (Especially if you ship Scott/Emma) however for non-Cyclops fans this is just another waste of time cash grab as Marvel's hamfisted attempt to promote the inhumans as a potential substitute/replacement to the X-Men falls flat because Marvel's forced hero vs hero crossover events vacuum (Get it they suck? lol) I'm not buying Inhumans vs X-Men or any X-book until things get better. I'm done paying top dollar for mediocre stories with hope that my favorite X-Men will get their "shine" because since I been buying comics the X-Men keep getting shat on by Marvel for...reasons.

msphoenixqueen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@robert2928: https://news.marvel.com/comics/26906/x-men_primary_colors/

Avatar image for deactivated-5a04a566e9ae3
    deactivated-5a04a566e9ae3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Cyclops(Emma): Okay, we fixed your stupid cloud so that it's safe for mutants and Inhumans.

Medusa: HOW DARE YOU?! BLACK BOLT, EXECUTE HIM!

For the last year Storm has been demonizing Cyclops over some unspeakable crime he allegedly committed, but at the end of this issue we see her giving him a heartfelt eulogy.

Magik lost her shit and tried to kill Sunfire, but in this issue he did absolutely nothing wrong and Magik made no objections to his actions.

Black Bolt executes Cyclops in front of the X-Men, and in response the X-Men.....make peace? The Storm and Magneto of yesteryear would have crushed the Inhumans.

When did the X-Men become so spineless? How did X-Men comics get this bad? Jeff Lemire can't even keep in line with his own continuity over a one year period.

This must be an alternate reality version of the X-Men where everyone except Emma Frost is an impotent mongoloid.

god_spawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 10

#4  Edited By god_spawn  Moderator

Sooo what exactly was the horrible Hitler-esque thing that Cyclops or Emma's mental made Psyclops did that turned him into the worst of the worst villains ever? Because this series did nothing to show anything that justifies any of the last year's writing and character degradation.

Rubear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Rubear

One word. Bullshit.

Robert2928

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@god_spawn: Apparently to become the worst of the worst Hitler-esque villian you must LITERALLY attack a cloud LMAO

god_spawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 10

#7 god_spawn  Moderator

@robert2928: You mean the sacred cloud of a bunch of royal hicks that was killing innocent beings? Cyke is a monster.

Invain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've only read the first issue so far. I will read the rest when I find the strength to care.

Avatar image for buttersdaman000
    buttersdaman000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Marvel treats the X-Men like such trash now

Tyger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Cohesive narrative?

Nah, lets go for a rampaging angst and awful pacing.

Mizerous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Cyclops was right!

Epyon007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Y'know I keep reading these boards in hopes that things will eventually get better.... I get the feeling I'm just wasting my time haha!

NWOslave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Marvel either couldnt pull the trigger on the original idea and i say that because this just doesn't fit any of the narrative in the current x books or they never had an idea to begin with and this was the best they could come up with 12 months after SWII. either way, totally lame story. not sure ill even bother with IvX.

Tohoma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wait so am I missing something here? People hate Cyclops because he nullified a terrigen cloud?

darthphoenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i think im hating storm for not standing up against the inhumans

slimlim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

SIGH-CLOPS

The Inhumans are pissed because the Terrigen Clouds are supposedly the only sources of Terrigen left. With the one cloud nullified by Alchemy, and "Psychlops" not willing to back down in nullifying the other, the Inhumans felt their continued existence threatened. So i GET why the Inhumans felt they had to stop Cyclops by any means necessary, but what really annoys me is how the rest of the mutant and human race are supposed to hate him now because of that. Sure, he almost started a war, and i get why people might be unnerved by that. But c'mon... THE X-MEN??? after all he's done for his teammates and mutantkind. Almost starting a war with the Inhumans is the reason his friends have turned their backs on him when the only reason he did so was to stop some Kree Flatulence from killing their species?

Ok fine... in some ways, i see what the writers were attempting to do. They just did it REALLY poorly. I like some of Soule and Lemire's work, but nothing they have done on the X-books has been good. Really disappointing.

Avatar image for handofprometheus
    HandOfPrometheus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Honestly I'm not even going to get hype about Ressurexion and the titles that come out of it. Based on current X-men stories these writers just throw shit to the wall and think it will stick. Characters are so out of their personality and continuity is horrendous. Did these people not plan their stories to match up with DoX, because it really doesn't.

Mooty_Pass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Emma Frost is CRAZY!!!

Storm and Magneto are useless because I remember a time when someone attacked there own Storm and Magneto would have been ALL OVER THEM. Oh the classic days.

HOW DARE YOU!! MEDUSA PUBLICLY EXECUTE a mutant in front of their own people. At this point war is justifiable to me.

They only cleansed on 1 fog they achieved nothing Emma sacrificed a mutant life only to have 5% of the T-most gone. -_-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@stormphoenix: Emma Frost saved hundreds of mutants in Madrid who would've been killed and she exposed the Inhumans for what they are.

Mooty_Pass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Mooty_Pass

@sprior93: She forced an altercation yes she saved lives, that's great, but the Woman is crazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@stormphoenix: The mist had to be destroyed to save mutants. The Inhumans forced an altercation when they attacked the X-Men for defending themselves.

What I got from this series: Emma is the only mutant with a backbone.

Rubear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Rubear
    Mooty_Pass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sprior93: Yeah I'll give you that she was the only one with a backbone but she is also a nut case.

I mean she could have told the truth about Scott's death. But to blame the Inhumans for it??? Genius and crazy

Mooty_Pass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Mooty_Pass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@stormphoenix: Cyclops was killed by the terrigen. Black Bolt and Maximus released the terrigen. Intentional or not, Scott's death is still their fault. She just turned Cyclops into a martyr to give his death some meaning. I wouldn't call that crazy.

Darkpesmerga10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mooty_Pass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Mooty_Pass
    @sprior93 said:

@stormphoenix: Cyclops was killed by the terrigen. Black Bolt and Maximus released the terrigen. Intentional or not, Scott's death is still their fault. She just turned Cyclops into a martyr to give his death some meaning. I wouldn't call that crazy.

You can't actually blame Black Bolt for his death because it's not like he specifically released the mist just to kill scott. Scott's just the effects of what it does to mutants. Also they didn't know that it effects mutants and nobody knows who released it in the first place. That has yet to be discussed. Emma is crazy. Scott's death would have already given some meaning look at the Eulogy Storm made.....she's heart broken as everyone else. If Emma had told the truth surely some decisions would have been made differently, but she didn't she decided to create an image of Scott in everyones heads and had him basically comit suicide. LOL I understand you got something different from this story. I'm just telling you what I got from it is all. :-)

The Inhumans are wrong because they didn't open their mouths and they actually attacked first not once, but twice now.

There is blame for EVERYONE here.

Mooty_Pass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

RaunJisto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

While Black Bolt didn't actually kill Scott, we do know that he had every intention of doing it and had no problem with it, so I still place blame on him. How on earth could Beast side with them after he saw their king murder Cyclops? How could Storm or Magneto not feel the need to utterly obliterate the Inhumans? Why did Magik demonize Cyclops for destroying a Death cloud? How could anyone possibly sympathize with the Inhumans after all this? They've been completely selfish in their desire to grow their people. How any marvel superhero still sees the Inhumans as legitimate heroes is beyond me. How any Inhuman heroes like Marvel Girl or Moon Girl could side with them is also beyond me.

Anopticblast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Anopticblast

To be honest, even though that wasn't Cyke, he would have taken similar courses of action. But I was livid when I saw Scott "die" and none of the X-MEN did anything besides gawk, hold a funeral, and them demonize him and Emma for being the only characters wanting to fix this awful situation. This was all so inconsistent, messy, and almost offensive to every X-men fan. I barley want to say that the only characters they got right were Cyclops and Emma, but then they don't even take the time to focus on them enough for it to really matter. The banality of this miniseries reflects marvel's current state as publishers. I have to give DC credit for giving their fans what they want and actually attempting to make compelling story lines. All I can say is that we all need to keep our fingers crossed and pray to God that Resurrexion can at least return the X-men to a state of decency.

Anopticblast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Anopticblast

And releasing the mists was just plain irresponsible and I have no clue why every Government, Superhero team, etc, weren't already looking into this.

kgb725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@anopticblast: It's irresponsible to let your entire species die ?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kgb725: The Inhumans wouldn't die. They just wouldn't be able to go through terrigenesis.

kgb725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sprior93: Which effectively scatters their entire race to the wind and they are never heard from again

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kgb725: What? No, not at all. Inhumans don't need terrigen to live. No one would die. They would simply get on with their lives. They could stay in Attilan or mingle with humans. Yes, future generations would not have powers, but that's Black Bolt's fault. He should be suffering, not the mutants. The preservation of your culture doesn't justify genocide.

"but muh culture!!" - random Inhuman

kgb725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sprior93: Never said they would die but they would basically all disappear. Second before Reed recreated the universe the Terrigen mists never hurt mutants and In fact strengthened their powers so let's not act like Black Bolt tried to kill mutants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kgb725:

They would live out their lives and their culture would change, shift, evolve or fade away as they integrate with the native human populace. That's not so bad.

Black Bolt didn't try to kill mutants; however, he and Maximus created and detonated the terrigen bomb. So regardless of his intentions it's his fault. I know youngins these days have trouble understanding accountability and responsibility, but that's how it is.

We're getting away from ourselves here. The Royal Inhumans are monarchs. It's their duty to preserve and protect their species. So, is it irresponsible of them to protect the terrigen from the X-Men? No, but it IS morally reprehensible. That's why the Inhumans, to most readers, are unsympathetic and unlikable.

kgb725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sprior93: The royal Inhumans don't have to do that and after their deaths there wouldn't be integration.

He's responsible but you pretty much accused him of trying to kill mutants when there's never even been evidence of the mists even harming anyone.

Cyclops banked on the Phoenix not destroying the earth and restoring mutants to their former glory so don't act like he wouldn't have done the same

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kgb725:

"The Royal Inhumans don't have to do that..."

Do what? Live out their lives? Why wouldn't they want to do that?

"...and after their deaths there wouldn't be integration"

Why not? It's already happening in the current comics. Humans are allowed to enter Attilan and interact with the natives. The NuHumans are inherently linked to regular humans.

"He's responsible but you pretty much accused him of trying to kill mutants when there's never even been evidence of the mists even harming anyone."

No, I accused Black Bolt and the Inhumans of cowardice and cruelty.

"Cyclops banked on the Phoenix not destroying the earth and restoring mutants..."

And? Cyclops didn't summon the Phoenix. It was coming to Earth and there's nothing anyone could have done to stop it. He only guessed its motive and reacted accordingly. Unfortunately, the Avengers barged in and everything went tits up. But what happened in the end, anyway? The mutant race was saved at the cost of one man(Xavier). Cyclops took full responsibility for his actions. Cyclops was vindicated. "Cyclops was right", as it were.

Thanos was coming to Earth to kill his son and destroy the Inhumans. Black Bolt evacuated the city and created the terrigen mist as a fail safe. What happened? The Inhumans were saved, but millions of mutants are now dead and dying. Black Bolt hid his culpability from the world and spends most of his time as a bartender in Attilan.

See the difference?

kgb725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sprior93: The Inhumans don't live with people the same way everyone else does

If the royal Inhumans died out before BB detonated the bomb every other inhuman would just think they were human

Tell me what BB was supposed to do ? The Terrigen mists never hurt mutants or anyone else prior to SW and in fact empowered them so what should BB have done ? Also BB is a bartender because he can't be king he isn't running from anything

polysummers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I need Cyclops back.

MasterOfEvil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Amnesiak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't get why they demonize Cyclops now, I was expecting him to try to blow up attilan or something like that to earn this hate but I don't see what he did wrong.

Batvibe12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What I love in Death of X was the twist. It shows Emma Frost having a sort of mental breakdown (not as powerful as the Scarlet Witch). All she wanted to do is to make Scott into an idea. This actually made me love Emma Frost more. What I hate about it was the Inhumans. Even though they are a monarchy, they make pretty stupid decisions. For example, Princess Crystal commanded Daisuke to put everyone to sleep even the mutants. And then when the mutants woke up, the Inhuman group was full of fear. Also, Death of X made me love Magik even more. She did minor things in a cool way. Just look:

No Caption Provided

She is my EVERYTHING!!!!

There was also a scan when she stabs Black Bolt with her soulsword. Now that was everything, I hope she does that in IVX to both Medusa and Black Bolt.

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i quit

Anopticblast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kgb725: Nobody means to say that they should just die. It was irresponsible to release a cloud that induces mutation unto the entire planet. That is beyond irresponsible. They can still gather potential humans who are capable of undergoing terra-genesis.

HAWK2916

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

The artist made everyone he drew look crazy.

This event was bullshit.

So glad that I didn't spend a dime on this garbage

What a joke. I guess in IVX Marvel will go ahead and kill off Storm too so all the most popular X-men leaders will be gone right

polysummers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Revive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Revive
    No Caption Provided

Avatar image for eternalgrandmaster
    EternalGrandMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Buy an Xmen book....psssh Yea right; To buy them for a whole year for the story to basically go nowhere, little no character development, if there is its all bonkers & often out of character....Lack of Continiuatity....

I love the Xmen & their characters but the most I could do is view them from a far....Time Runs Out/Everythin Dies Ened the Marvel Universe for me.....Everythin else is meh

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.