Follow

X-Men: Apocalypse

Movie » X-Men: Apocalypse released on May 27, 2016.

This sequel to X-Men: Days of Future Past sees the X-Men facing their biggest threat yet.

Everything We Know About 'X-Men: Apocalypse' From the Trailer

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

Edited By inferiorego  Staff

The X-Men: Apocalypse trailer hit the net and aside of it being filled with utter awesomeness, there were some amazing moments that had X-Men fans totally freaking out. We're breaking down the new trailer and seeing what we can figure out about the upcoming film. Still haven't seen the trailer? Click here to watch it!

Jean Grey Sees the Future

No Caption Provided

Right off the bat, we get to see Jean Grey. Jean awakes from a dream of death and destruction. She can see the future or, at least, a possible future, something the X-Men film franchise has been dabbling in recently. Charles Xavier assures it was all a dream, but Jean knows that's not true. This is different because aside from telepathy, Jean is primarily known for telekinesis, but visions of the future are a bit more rare for her.

Jubilee Looks Like Jubilee!

No Caption Provided

Strangely enough, one of the most standout X-Men costumes is just a yellow coat that Jubilee wears and for those who grew up watching X-Men: The Animated Series, that outfit is engrained in our memories. We catch a quick glimpse of Jubilee here and she looks totally 80s, which is awesome.

"Or the Bible Got it From Him"

No Caption Provided

The trailer lets us know quite a few things about Apocalypse right away. He's really old and predates modern religions. Moira MacTaggert explains that maybe religions took concepts and ideas from Apocalypse, the first mutant. We also learn about the Four Horseman concept, as Apocalypse always surrounds himself with mutants who he makes more powerful. We get a lot about who this character is and the fact there's a cultish element to him right off the bat. While Magneto has always felt that mutants are better than humans, Apocalypse seems to feel mutants are gods and should be worshipped. This is going to make for an excellent set-up for the character.

The Four Horsemen Revealed

No Caption Provided

Sadly, we don't get to see too much of Psylocke in this trailer, but she is a part of the Four Horsemen. We also get to see who else is being controlled by Apocalypse. Storm is there with her classic mohawk look. Angel is in the background, and right in front is.... Magneto? Apparently Magneto is part of the Four Horsemen, making this battle against Apocalypse a personal one.

These New Mutants are Untrained

No Caption Provided

Going to war against an ancient mutant that some consider to be a deity is going to take an immense amount of power and the X-Men are going to need new allies. However, these new allies won't have the training the rest of the X-Men have. Cyclops asks Mystique "what if we can't control our powers?" Cyclops can't control his powers? What would that look like?

No Caption Provided

Oh, there we go. Mystique tells Cyclops that they are in a war and they don't have to control their powers. We got a quick shot of Cyclops busting out his optic blasts in full force.

Angel in Action

No Caption Provided

We catch a quick glimpse of Angel flying around and blades getting shot off his wings. He looks really good for the film. Sure, we don't get the blue skin for the Archangel costume, but at this point, we'll take what we can get from this classic X-Men character.

Storm is also in Action

No Caption Provided

We also get a quick shot of Storm as well, and well, she looks really awesome. We get a bit of lightning and Storm looking like she's ready to kick some X-Men butt. What's cool is that her costume, shown above, seems to match Apocalypse's costume in some ways.

Everything Apocalypse Says is Epic

No Caption Provided

We'll let En Sabah Nur speak for himself.

"I've been called many things over many lifetimes: Ra, Krishna, Yahweh."

"You are all my children and you're lost because you follow blind leaders, but I am here now. I'm here for you."

"Everything they built... will fall and from the ashes of their world, we'll build a better one!"

This trailer does a great job at setting up this character as the villain.

Professor X is Finally Bald!

No Caption Provided

There's no real context to why he's bald, but maybe it has something to do with Apocalypse? Anyway, we finally get to see the full transition of Charles Xavier from genius trying to pick up girls in bars, with lovely, lush hair to the character we know and love from the comics, except alive, since Xavier is currently dead. Xavier will still have some hair in parts of this film as we saw in the trailer.

X-Men: Apocalypse hits theaters on May 27, 2016. What were your favorite moments?

Hermatt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I don't think it's really Jean seeing the future. When Apocalypse awakens, his power and thoughts are broadcast and it's Jean picking them up.

Leave1942

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Leave1942

These effects look... hit or miss. Angel's design looks good, but that moment of him flying towards the screen looked really weird and unnatural.

Also, I hope those suits Kurt, Jean and Scott are wearing are like, training suits early on, because they look horrible. Like plastic laser-tag gear. I hate that they're all the same, too... Part of the visual appeal of the X-Men, at least for me as a child of the 90s, was how diverse and unique their costumes were. That get's lost in all black Tron reject suits.

This trailer did not inspire a lot of confidence in me.

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

#3 inferiorego  Staff

These effects look... hit or miss. Angel's design looks good, but that moment of him flying towards the screen looked really weird and unnatural.

CGI effects in early trailers are never final.

Sachmoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Most trailers try to end with some form of bang, or teaser. A snippet of Iron man vs. Cap n Bucky. Doomsday and Wonder Woman. Beebop and Rocksteady. This trailer chose... Bald Xavier. OK.

Mfundroid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Mfundroid

Storm looks hot.

Leave1942

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@inferiorego: Definitely! Certainly not judging a movie I haven't seen on that alone, no worries. But, it's one of a lot of little things in this trailer that add up to make me nervous.

VioletPhoenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sachmoo: I think it totally works for this, not giving away too much and letting fans get excited over possible big battles since a lot of fan-favorite characters are in this. Totally a nice change of pace from other superhero trailers giving away too much.

Also, bald Xavier might be their nod to the previous films and this movie staying true to the comics with the character designs. SO PUMPED!

ThomasElliot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have no idea how this fits into any X-movie continuity. Not that Fox or Singer ever cared about keeping film continuities anyway.

Duh, everyone knows the story of Bald Xavier. One day Charlie X was doing some science in his rural Kansas home, when he accidentally set fire to the house. Alerted to danger, young Apocalypse-Boy came to the rescue, using his super-breath to put out the flames. This unintentionally blew toxic smoke back into house, which led to Charlie losing all his hair! Angry over his maligned hairline, young Charles blames Apocalypse, declaring him to be his sworn enemy forever!

HolySerpent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

jean and cyclops look so bada$$

zackattack93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You forgot quicksilver

JewishDork

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

Digging those battle uniforms. Huge upgrade over all leather.

TheSpoiler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#13  Edited By TheSpoiler

It's going to be the best comic film of next year.

AbdullahZubair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

All I know about the X-men apocalypse from the trailer is that wolverine is not there....

Avatar image for superior_prime_maybe
    superior_prime_maybe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

is logan not in the movie???

PeterParkerJr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Apocalypse is gonna be awesome as a villain.

Ambaryerno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

@sachmoo said:

Most trailers try to end with some form of bang, or teaser. A snippet of Iron man vs. Cap n Bucky. Doomsday and Wonder Woman. Beebop and Rocksteady. This trailer chose... Bald Xavier. OK.

It's a moment people have been waiting for since McAvoy's introduction in First Class. I think it works.

Pelykan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Pelykan

Apocalypse is blue.

Kurt is now the incredible Nightemo.

Mystique after all that drama in the last movie about having to be herself is deciding to stay in human form. I know this is just so they can cut time on makeup but come on a little continuity would be nice.

mrBlonde

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What does everyone think about Apocalypses voice? I expected deeper but I don't think it's terrible. My judgement waits.

His lines in the trailer certainly speak to his ability to inspire followers. He sounds almost like a cult leader.Pretty awesome

Storm Calling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is different because aside from telepathy, Jean is primarily known for telekinesis, but visions of the future are a bit more rare for her.

Jean actually had visions of the future in X2. Toward the beginning of the film, she foresaw several future events when they were at the museum and her powers were going out of control. We can hear audio from several different scenes that occur later in the movie. It's a bit subtle but it's definitely there.

Avatar image for artisticneedham
    ArtisticNeedham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#21  Edited By ArtisticNeedham
    No Caption Provided

THIS is the image of Apocalypse they should have revealed earlier on,

No Caption Provided

Or this one!

not the one of him standing next to Psylocke and Storm.

No Caption Provided

Sachmoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sachmoo said:

It's a moment people have been waiting for since McAvoy's introduction in First Class. I think it works.

I know its fan service, but you can do that and build hype. Admit it, when it happened you were like, "Cool he is bald". That's it. You didn't get excited or anything, it didn't make you feel any type of way. It was just a dead ending is all I'm saying.

TristanHeron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm with @ambaryerno. I think it works.

It shows that Charles is finally getting serious about this X-Men thing. Beast said in First Class that Charles can use Cerebro better when bald. He's giving up his pride to be the most powerful mutant he can be. That's pretty important.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79
    deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for stmichalofwilson
    StMichalofWilson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 107

This looks to be another great X-Men movie, right next to Days of Future Past.

Avatar image for germancomicidiot
    GermanComicIdiot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Trailer looked pretty GREEN to me, if you can follow me....

panther21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

looks great i can't wait to see Psylocke & Storm and Apoc.

Avatar image for earthsmightiest
    EarthsMightiest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

Avatar image for madeinbangladesh
    MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 172

Trailer didn't blow me away for some reason but I'm sure the movie will be awesome. The last two have been phenomenal.

~MiB

LordRequiem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Looks just as bad as Days of future past. Singer hasn't a clue how to make a decent X-men film anymore, as evidenced by his other directorial failures.

ips

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By ips

@ready_4_madness there were many happy children. anyone looking for a quality xfilm with depth was left in the dust with all the xfilms though. none of them is at all close to being on the same level as anything Marvel Studios has produced.

as fans spanning over decades of support, we deserve better.

@ready_4_madness said:

@lordrequiem: oh please, maybe it wasn't good for you but many people liked DOFP.

greenlucario

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Looks good enough. All I want to know is how it fits into continuity with X1 and X2. I mean DoFP clearly rewrote and/or destroyed X3 and Origins Wolverine (not complaining at all), but how does any of this fit with X1 and X2? There's no way that Nightcrawler fits in both movies as they clearly meet him for the first time in X2 but there is no recognition from Jean, Scott, or Professor X, at least two out of those three will know him by the end of this movie. Plus if untrained mutants can fight and defeat Apocalypse, how will they have so much trouble fighting Magneto in the future of X1? I get that they are playing fast and loose with the continuity here, but this is just getting ridiculous.

TheGoddess

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ips said:

@ready_4_madness there were many happy children. anyone looking for a quality xfilmwith depth was left in the dust with all the xfilms though. none of them is at all close to being on the same level as anything Marvel Studios has produced.

@ready_4_madness said:

@lordrequiem: oh please, maybe it wasn't good for you but many people liked DOFP.

Ridiculous.

You think Marvel films have more "depth" and quality? Avengers and other MCU movies are literally Superheros just blowing up shit and fighting recklessly wit ha little immature humor thrown in their for LOLz.The storylines are pretty tame because.... well because Disney>>>Marvel,and Disney usually keeps stuff Pg for the kiddies who love Superhewoooes!! ^_^

The X-men universe (Film and comics) always had deeper meaning .When it comes to subject matter,such as prejudice,bias,racism etc. These films rest upon social and political issues. That's been the set up since the first X-men movie 15 years ago.They are much more grittier and darker than any of the MCU films.

Marvel Universe is comparatively tame when you look at Fox's X-men. Sure we've had some wacky continuity errors,but all in all most of the X-Films have been quality,save for X-3.(I count the Wolvie movies separate)

Critical acclaim does not lie,and this franchise has plenty of it.Also without these movies the MCU wouldn't be what it is today. The X-men paved the way for the Avengers. They were the original Superhero team to hit the big screen in a big way.

worldFlash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Why is this taking place in the past?

anurag_50

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

westy206

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@greenlucario:

It's not only rewrote X3 it's reset the timeline. None of the past films matter anymore. In DOFP Xavier saw inside Logan's and met his future self, he has seen which X-men he gathers in the future why would he now wait until a chance meeting with Nightcrawler? He wouldn't he would actively seek him out.

bartchristo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By bartchristo

storm is the most powerful mutant she can control water and any thing in liquid form so she can control human and mutant

bartchristo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ips

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thegoddess lol. wut? seriously are you 6?

xbooks have always been about deeper sociopolitical issues. the movies have been about Wolverine being in love with Jean Grey. like, all of them. lol.

like the movies if you want. but if you want to be taken seriously you're going to have to be honest about their flaws. if you can't be real about something's flaws it'll never get better.

@ips said:

@ready_4_madness there were many happy children. anyone looking for a quality xfilmwith depth was left in the dust with all the xfilms though. none of them is at all close to being on the same level as anything Marvel Studios has produced.

@ready_4_madness said:

Ridiculous.

You think Marvel films have more "depth" and quality? Avengers and other MCU movies are literally Superheros just blowing up shit and fighting recklessly wit ha little immature humor thrown in their for LOLz.The storylines are pretty tame because.... well because Disney>>>Marvel,and Disney usually keeps stuff Pg for the kiddies who love Superhewoooes!! ^_^

The X-men universe (Film and comics) always had deeper meaning .When it comes to subject matter,such as prejudice,bias,racism etc. These films rest upon social and political issues. That's been the set up since the first X-men movie 15 years ago.They are much more grittier and darker than any of the MCU films.

Marvel Universe is comparatively tame when you look at Fox's X-men. Sure we've had some wacky continuity errors,but all in all most of the X-Films have been quality,save for X-3.(I count the Wolvie movies separate)

Critical acclaim does not lie,and this franchise has plenty of it.Also without these movies the MCU wouldn't be what it is today. The X-men paved the way for the Avengers. They were the original Superhero team to hit the big screen in a big way.

deactivated-579fe0ae58107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 304

User Lists: 27

Probably THE most epic reveal:

No Caption Provided

d9000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

I'm glad the last two X-men films have been of good quality but I'll never get past the way characters seem to be thrown in almost randomly.

This trailer was definitely epic enough but while Mystic is one of the leading heroes I can't say it's for me.

Avatar image for amiyah_kaminari
    amiyah_kaminari

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@leave1942: I agree wholeheartedly. The trailer in my opinion looked very bland & boring...

kid Apollo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Cyclops, Jean Grey, Nightcrawler, Beast, Mystique, and Quicksilver.

if only X-men: First Class had this roster instead, the X-men reboot would have had a much better foundation

PeterParkerJr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@ips said:

@ready_4_madness said:

Ridiculous.

Well said.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.