Follow

Superman

Character » Superman appears in 18942 issues.

Sent to Earth as an infant from the dying planet Krypton, Kal-El was adopted by the loving Kent family and raised in America's heartland as Clark Kent. Using his immense solar-fueled powers, he became Superman to defend mankind against all manner of threats while championing truth, justice, and the American way!

The new suit.

• 72 results
    z3ro180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Are there any pictures of it that are not drawn by JRJR ?

Avatar image for allstarsuperman
    AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

Its better then Jim lees

SodamYat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

its horrible. I love the original n52 suit.

Glarinetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sodamyat said:

its horrible. I love the original n52 suit.

UltimateSMfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By UltimateSMfan

I'd take Jim Lee's design over this new suit, not an improvement at all IMO.

z3ro180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You guys do realise this isn't a "I don't like the new 52 suit" right ?

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

Unfortunately no yet.

As for the suit. Infinite times better than the previous one imo. Just wait a more popular artist to draw it and everyone will love it.

Pretty sure there isn't it seems like the suit only exist in the one title?

Fabok confirmed Superman will wear it in JL.

SodamYat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

that sucks. i hate his new suit.

mcdavid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What's wrong with the new suit ? I haven't caught up on supes stuff since the Ulysses episode.

Anyone got a link or something ? O.o

Avatar image for darknightspideyfanboy
    darknightspideyfanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Same old same old

reactor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@z3ro180 said:

You guys do realise this isn't a "I don't like the new 52 suit" right ?

Yeah, but is there a "I don't like the new new 52 suit"? ;)

z3ro180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Izaiah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

There's barely a difference from the previous costume. Unsure how one could hate this one and like the past one.

reactor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@izaiah said:

There's barely a difference from the previous costume. Unsure how one could hate this one and like the past one.

Even Star Wars fans are easier to please than Comic Book fans (I daresay, DC fans). Which disappoints me to no end - almost literally every time something happens, there's nothing but whining or complaining.

FoamBorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@izaiah said:

Yeah, the differences are so subtle, I would've hardly noticed them or chalked them up to a different artist drawing the suit because to me they look pretty close. And they call me "nitpicky", can you believe it

tristan95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Jim lee suit is the best design between all superman suit

Avatar image for heavenlydarkdragon
    HeavenlyDarkDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hate it. In fact calling it a new suit is almost a lie. They simply tweeked the original N52 a little bit.

And to me the worst part of it all is that they actually made the suit look worst. To see all the fans that hated the N52 and still loved the pre-N52 suit, now saying how great this "new suit" looks like, raises the question if they're high on meth or something.

With so many fan made suits of Superman on the web, that look awesome, I could hardly believe what the "new suit" was all about. It's a joke imo. And seriously it just shows how DC has their minds and bodies going north and south.

2cool4fun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@z3ro180: Only this one.

No Caption Provided

The belt looks bad(but so did the previous one until various artists started tinkering with the suit) but overall the suit looks a lot better imo. More streamlined and classic than the awkward armor looking suit.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_tree said:

@squalleon: Looks like a Super-fanny pack.

Υeah its bad. But as I said I am sure various artists will tinker with it and fix it. Like how the previous belt changed depending on the artist.

2cool4fun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

@squalleon: I only wish the belt was yellow, or at least had a little yellow on it.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@squalleon: I only wish the belt was yellow, or at least had a little yellow on it.

I think I would prefer a complete yellow belt too. I remember the colorist did a mistake in JLA (not JL) issue 1 and he painted the belt completely yellow and it looked very good imo(the previous suit belt obviously).

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

Hate it. In fact calling it a new suit is almost a lie. They simply tweeked the original N52 a little bit.

And to me the worst part of it all is that they actually made the suit look worst. To see all the fans that hated the N52 and still loved the pre-N52 suit, now saying how great this "new suit" looks like, raises the question if they're high on meth or something.

With so many fan made suits of Superman on the web, that look awesome, I could hardly believe what the "new suit" was all about. It's a joke imo. And seriously it just shows how DC has their minds and bodies going north and south.

They took out most of the lines, removed the militaristic mandarin collar and gave Superman's new costume a much needed classic and familiar feel.

Well for me, the worst part of it all is how there's now a sudden defence of the 90s extreme New 52 armour. When it first came out, most fans rightly bashed it for making Superman look like another boring generic hero when his classic costume is an iconic look in itself. To see fans like you saying that the New 52 suit looks so much better than a costume which is trying to get back to Superman's roots if nothing else, that really raises the question of the validity of your opinions. This new suit doesn't look great to me, especially when Romita Jr draws it, but it looks hugely better than the aggressive and stormtrooper look Superman had previously.

Yeah a lot of fan costumes do look better but you're being hugely unfair to the improvements of this new costume and are blinded to the failures of Superman's armoured costume. The stupid V sleeves, the mandarin collar, the mess of lines across the chest area, the muted colours and more hasn't been a good look for Superman either. I also find it ironic considering that you've said you like the New 52 Superman more than the late Post Crisis one ( an opinion that's questionable in of itself) but change his costume a bit and you complain about where DC are going? Bit inconsistent tbf.

z3ro180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@squalleon: I think a be.t like the smallville costume would be better.

Impervious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I can dig it

Avatar image for heavenlydarkdragon
    HeavenlyDarkDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger:

I've always wanted Superman to change his suit ever since the post-FinalCrisis. It was outdated. And to be totally honest it made little sense.

I was one of those fans that always defended the N52 suit, from the start. It gave Superman a present day look. Has every movie has been doing for quite some time, has I'm sure you've noticed. The X-Men movies, Iron Man, Spider-Man, Thor, even the MoS movie, all of them did a 180° change on the suits. Why?! Because it made sense. And lets be honest, most them look awesome. So seeing Superman in the post-FinalCrisis still wearing the same old costume, was one of my greatest complains. Even when he went on that world search to find every piece of kryptonite that were stolen from the leftovers of the asteroid that brought Supergirl to Earth, he was forced to use that armored suit. And in my opinion that suit looked awesome. And has I'd seen fan made suits, and then saw that suit, the question that always popped into my mind was "Why do they keep clinging to the same old outdated style, when they show they can create something so much better?".

To me stories, like the characters have to evolve together. And before the N52 I found it irritating, that characters like Luthor that depend on technology and have always used current terms and current scientific knowledge, that showed that the writers are up to date with technological progress, but at the same time it showed the reluctance in updating a simple costume.

To me the only thing I never liked about the N52 suit was the belt, it looked off. I always said that I prefered the belt to be yellow and with the S shield in it. Something along the lines of the Godfall area of the belt.

You talk of improvements, but that's just difference points of view, because to me, they're not improvements, they're setbacks. A pathetic attempt to reach out to both fans of the pre-N52 style and the initial N52 style. I'd have prefered if they had either changed it all back or changed it all again, rather than this.

I've been a Superman fan for over 20 decades, and I know like any true fan knows, that the suit is not only a reflection of the character but also the time we live in. And to me this "change" reflects nothing.

One can't take pieces of design from two different cars, splice them together, and call it a new car. Something I hope to God we see eye to eye. And what they did with his suit was exactly that (here you're free to disagree). They didn't improved anything, they simply spliced things together.

And the suit is just the tip of the iceberg, this new power, him going back to the Daily Planet, where his and Diana relationship has been leading, even the things shown in Future's End, all have been hinting that not everyone in DC Comics is on board with the New 52.

I'm sure you've noticed how many titles have failed and fallen into oblivion. Hell, even Superboy comics ended. And if that's not a bad omen of things to come, than either I'm seeing too much into things or some people are seeing too little.

This costume "change" will solve nothing. This new power has of now brought nothing good into the table. Clark going back to his old job is a slap in the face (at least to me).

Truth is that for every good move DC Comics has been doing, and I'm not just refering to Superman comics, another two bad moves have been done afterwards.

I love playing chess, always did. Even been on some national championships, and like any chess player that's worthy of that name, knows that every piece, every move counts. And DC is playing an unstable game at best.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

z3ro180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger: it looks good thought they need o remove the lines from the shoulders and elbows.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@z3ro180: I agree but it's a much better improvement over JRJR.

z3ro180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger: I like JRJR's art for the most part but those last few issues supermans face was horrible.

Avatar image for l3g3ndarypheonix
    L3g3ndaryPheonix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

MuyJingo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Still has pointless seams, and I would like a yellow belt more than a red belt if we are being wishfull.

A yellow belt helps balance out the red cape imo.

OrangeBat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@muyjingo said:

Still has pointless seams, and I would like a yellow belt more than a red belt if we are being wishfull.

Seconded.

I still think they should've adapted the Man of Steel costume for the comics' Superman. Or at least the Batman v. Superman: Dawn of Justice version. It looks much, MUCH better.

MuyJingo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@muyjingo said:

Seconded.

I still think they should've adapted the Man of Steel costume for the comics' Superman. Or at least the Batman v. Superman: Dawn of Justice version. It looks much, MUCH better.

I was thinking more along the lines of the Injustice costume, but with cape attached to shoulders instead of shield, and getting rid of the lines to make it look less liie armor. Oh, and not have the belt change in height, just have it uniform.

That's the ideal costume in my eyes. Bright and iconic, the right balance of red blue and yellow, and close to the classic costume.

The MoS suit is horrible, to my eyes. The gold belt lines serve no purpose and are not bright enough to break up the blue, and the blue and reds are extremely dark and not befitting to the character.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@z3ro180 said:

@lvenger: I like JRJR's art for the most part but those last few issues supermans face was horrible.

Ugh that kind of art alone is making me consider picking up Pak's Action Comics instead, if only for Kuder's pleasant artwork.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger said:

@z3ro180: I got one to add to your thread. Not in colour I'm afraid but it's a panel Tyler Kirkham posted on his Twitter page from the upcoming Batman/Superman annual.

No Caption Provided

Ι see an overall improvement imo. Less lines, better boots and the belt has potential to be fixed due time.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@squalleon: And the collar can be slowly shifted from a V neck into a rounded one. Plus hopefully shorter sleeves too.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger said:

@squalleon: And the collar can be slowly shifted from a V neck into a rounded one. Plus hopefully shorter sleeves too.

To be honest, I found it weird why they didn't go with the MoS suit. With a little tinkering it can be a great suit. Val-Zod from Earth-2 is wearing one influenced from it and it looks good imo.

z3ro180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@squalleon: only problem with Val-Zod's suit is that it has no boots. If they add in white boots then it it would be amazing

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@z3ro180 said:

@squalleon: only problem with Val-Zod's suit is that it has no boots. If they add in white boots then it it would be amazing

I hadn't noticed that. So it is a big onesie :P Yeah it does't work with no boots.

toptom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By toptom

Well...damn. I did know that i had to wait for another artist's interpretation but even with that i couldn't past the romita's art. This suit is good and it can really be an improvement from the previous costume.It is simpler but it is still clearly inspired by the Jim Lee one: i am glad that they kept the lines on the shoulders and that they immediately changed that horrible turtle neck with the more good looking v-neck.

z3ro180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@squalleon: lol I guess Val just like to be all snuggled up :P

Avatar image for captainmarvel4ever
    CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I don't know why they'd get rid of Jim Lee's design, that was perfect.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A militaristic mandarin collar? Awful looking V neck sleeves? Muted colour palette for the armour and more criss cross lines than you can shake a stick at? Not sure that's the perfect Superman costume by far.

SodamYat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This.

Avatar image for captainmarvel4ever
    CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@lvenger: The V neck and sleeves look great, they give him a very sleek atheistically pleasing design, and the armor just makes much more sense considering everything Superman has to go through in a fight (I just don't see a fabric holding up with everything he does). I love the old look, but this look is perfect for a modern Superman, it still looks like Superman, and it still looks like something a little boy would love to get as an action figure.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.