Follow

Superman

Character » Superman appears in 18960 issues.

Sent to Earth as an infant from the dying planet Krypton, Kal-El was adopted by the loving Kent family and raised in America's heartland as Clark Kent. Using his immense solar-fueled powers, he became Superman to defend mankind against all manner of threats while championing truth, justice, and the American way!

Supergirl's Lex Luthor- Trailer

• 67 results
    Avatar image for buttersdaman000
    buttersdaman000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#52  Edited By buttersdaman000

@saintwildcard said:
    @buttersdaman000 said:

@saintwildcard: Well, I don't really care about the "complexity" of their respective plans, nor which one is smart but you're 100% tripping if you think John Cryer embodies Lex better. He seems like he's in a deadpan SNL parody with that whiny, cornball acting lmao

And yet, that is still better than the angsty athiest with daddy issues that was Eisenberg's Riddler Lex

Not really though. You're actually the only person i've seen defending him, and it's likely because you have extreme, unwarranted hatred for BvS. The vast majority of reactions are absolutely roasting this trailer. And it's different from the negative reactions BvS Lex got. Those were more critical of the interpretation of the character, not the acting, like you implied. The ones I see for CW Lex are dragging every aspect of the character -- from the goofy acting, to the already apparent trash writing, to the general look of John Cryer (I see sad old uncle Lex and kiddy diddler a lot), to everything else. I honestly don't think you're objective enough to see how hilariously cringey this Lex is.

And like you just agreed on, they're likely going to undermine this version of Lex just like they did Superman. You can decry the stupidity of Lex in BvS, but at least he wasn't knocked down a peg to raise up other, lamer characters. This version of Lex is likely gonna be humbled by Lena and Supergirl. And you still think that's better than BvS?? Gah damnnnn

buttersdaman000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53  Edited By buttersdaman000

@saintwildcard said:
    @ready_4_madness said:

@saintwildcard: if you’re a villain, you have to do damage towards the protagonist in some shape of form. Eisenberg done just that,

Yes... because the game was set on easy for him. It's like applauding a high school kid for acing a 3rd grade test

you’re saying this new Lex would bully Eisenbergs Lex based on what?

Didn't say that, I said he seems to be smarter. And based on his Red Sun feat, that's just a fact

To be fair, the CW embraces the craziness of comics way more than the DCEU, and MCU. Using CW Lex' superior intellect feats to criticize BvS Lex is like using Supergirls superior strength/durability feats to criticize Cav-El. Is Supergirl a better adaptation because she's stronger??? I mean, even if BvS gave us the perfect Lex, I highly doubt he'd have an intellect showing on level with the CW. It's just differences between the universes.

BTW, I don't actually watch Supergirl or know anything about her feats. I just saw some battle forum debates where more than a few users argued she took a country level blast.

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 12

@saintwildcard: “the game being set on easy” is an opinion. You keep saying that like it’s facts. If you can get the most powerful being on the planet killed, then you yourself are powerful.

You keep saying that last part without the full context of what happened or the actions leading up to it. Wishing for something doesn't make him powerful

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mr_shazam0920: the more pertinent reason being he was Lex's nephew in Superman 4

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@saintwildcard: he didn’t wish for it to happen, he made the necessary moves for it to happen. We’ll see if this Lex can do the same.

That's a cute way of stating he told a machine to make him a monster. He didn't learn how to use the technology, he simply turned the machine on and asked how to create a monster and then told the machine to create the monster. HOw did he get in the ship? Well in the 2 years since MoS, all the stupid scientists couldn't figure out to use Zod's fingerprints. He didn't even hack the Kryptonian ship with his superior intelligence. He just used the Key and the key gave him access to everything. He created a monster on level one that could beat Superman. It's a fact

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@saintwildcard said:
    @buttersdaman000 said:

@saintwildcard: Well, I don't really care about the "complexity" of their respective plans, nor which one is smart but you're 100% tripping if you think John Cryer embodies Lex better. He seems like he's in a deadpan SNL parody with that whiny, cornball acting lmao

And yet, that is still better than the angsty athiest with daddy issues that was Eisenberg's Riddler Lex

Not really though. You're actually the only person i've seen defending him, and it's likely because you have extreme, unwarranted hatred for BvS.

Defend is a strong word. And the strongest my approval of the character has been is that "he wins by default". It's not exactly a roaring endorsement

I personally don't think my hatered is unwarranted at all. But that's a whole other debate

The vast majority of reactions are absolutely roasting this trailer. And it's different from the negative reactions BvS Lex got. Those were more critical of the interpretation of the character, not the acting, like you implied.

It's anecdotal (but then again so is your claim), but the buzz in that video is nothing but praise. Even in some of the articles I've read like Comic Book.Com, are praising him

As for the bolded part, who are you saying didn't get shit on for acting? Don't wanna launch into a tirade just yet

The ones I see for CW Lex are dragging every aspect of the character -- from the goofy acting, to the already apparent trash writing, to the general look of John Cryer (I see sad old uncle Lex and kiddy diddler a lot), to everything else. I honestly don't think you're objective enough to see how hilariously cringey this Lex is.

Nice theory.... if it were manure. I get so much flack from my friends cus I'm overly critical of everything, even things I love (I freaking made a reboot blog for MoS). You would be better off saying that I've set the bar so low when it comes to Supergirl, that I'm giving him a pass, which would be way more accurate. Even in this thread I've said it was a dumb casting, most likely done cus he was in Superman 4 as Lex's nephew.

And like you just agreed on, they're likely going to undermine this version of Lex just like they did Superman. You can decry the stupidity of Lex in BvS, but at least he wasn't knocked down a peg to raise up other, lamer characters. This version of Lex is likely gonna be humbled by Lena and Supergirl. And you still think that's better than BvS?? Gah damnnnn

Let's work under the assumption that this Lex is going to be great and that the show then has a bullshit moment where Lena outsmarts Lex and the show hammers in how much smarter Lena is because of it. BvS Lex was worse IMO because his actions dumbed down the movie. If you have a great character and the show then does them dirty in the end, IMO that's less egregious then having to watch a character ruin the movie they're in every step of the way. Let me put it this way, if BvS were a pound of shit that I had to eat over an hour with nothing good but CW Lex were a pound of shit I had to eat quickly after eating a steak, I'd rather go with the steak and shit.

At the end of the day, it's like the JL Lex luthor credit scene. Where he tries to be serious but he just doesn't give off that vibe but he's at least trying and had that been him in BvS it would have been much better. FOr me it's the same thing here, he's at least trying to be serious and scary. BvS Lex was trying to be a new age billionaire weirdo.

buttersdaman000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By buttersdaman000

@saintwildcard said:
    @buttersdaman000 said:
    @saintwildcard said:
    @buttersdaman000 said:

Not really though. You're actually the only person i've seen defending him, and it's likely because you have extreme, unwarranted hatred for BvS.

Defend is a strong word. And the strongest my approval of the character has been is that "he wins by default". It's not exactly a roaring endorsement

I personally don't think my hatered is unwarranted at all. But that's a whole other debate

The vast majority of reactions are absolutely roasting this trailer. And it's different from the negative reactions BvS Lex got. Those were more critical of the interpretation of the character, not the acting, like you implied.

It's anecdotal (but then again so is your claim), but the buzz in that video is nothing but praise. Even in some of the articles I've read like Comic Book.Com, are praising him

As for the bolded part, who are you saying didn't get shit on for acting? Don't wanna launch into a tirade just yet

The ones I see for CW Lex are dragging every aspect of the character -- from the goofy acting, to the already apparent trash writing, to the general look of John Cryer (I see sad old uncle Lex and kiddy diddler a lot), to everything else. I honestly don't think you're objective enough to see how hilariously cringey this Lex is.

Nice theory.... if it were manure. I get so much flack from my friends cus I'm overly critical of everything, even things I love (I freaking made a reboot blog for MoS). You would be better off saying that I've set the bar so low when it comes to Supergirl, that I'm giving him a pass, which would be way more accurate. Even in this thread I've said it was a dumb casting, most likely done cus he was in Superman 4 as Lex's nephew.

Let's work under the assumption that this Lex is going to be great and that the show then has a bullshit moment where Lena outsmarts Lex and the show hammers in how much smarter Lena is because of it. BvS Lex was worse IMO because his actions dumbed down the movie. If you have a great character and the show then does them dirty in the end, IMO that's less egregious then having to watch a character ruin the movie they're in every step of the way. Let me put it this way, if BvS were a pound of shit that I had to eat over an hour with nothing good but CW Lex were a pound of shit I had to eat quickly after eating a steak, I'd rather go with the steak and shit.

At the end of the day, it's like the JL Lex luthor credit scene. Where he tries to be serious but he just doesn't give off that vibe but he's at least trying and had that been him in BvS it would have been much better. FOr me it's the same thing here, he's at least trying to be serious and scary. BvS Lex was trying to be a new age billionaire weirdo.

Defend isn't a strong word...it's what you're doing. Hey, if you like kiddy diddler Lex over spazzy Lex, that's fine with me. I honestly forgot your opinion on BvS was so inflexible. It just amazes me since I thought you liked Lex Luthor as a character in general.

I get so much flack from my friends cus I'm overly critical of everything, even things I love (I freaking made a reboot blog for MoS)

Deservedly so. It's not a virtue and it actually invalidates your opinions to a degree. But, these are comics/movies and in the scheme of things, who cares lol

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By SaintWildcard

@buttersdaman000 said:

Defend isn't a strong word...it's what you're doing. Hey, if you like kiddy diddler Lex over spazzy Lex, that's fine with me. I honestly forgot your opinion on BvS was so inflexible. It just amazes me since I thought you liked Lex Luthor as a character in general.

I get so much flack from my friends cus I'm overly critical of everything, even things I love (I freaking made a reboot blog for MoS)

Deservedly so. It's not a virtue and it actually invalidates your opinions to a degree. But, these are comics/movies and in the scheme of things, who cares lol

You: YOu're totally defending it

Me: *says multiple times they'll possibly screw it up*

If I were a lawyer, my client would get the chair

You: You can't be objective cus you hate BvS so much. So your opinion is invalid

Me: But I criticize everything, (including the show in question, even thinking that the All Star line at the end was dumb), and I never hold back punches

YOu: Checkmate! This totally proves your opinion is invalid

Damned if you, damned if you don't. You don't have to like my opinion, but I won't have you sit there and say that I'm going easy on this Lex cus I hate BvS Lex so much

buttersdaman000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@buttersdaman000 said:

You: You can't be objective cus you hate BvS so much. So your opinion is invalid

Me: But I criticize everything, (including the show in question, even thinking that the All Star line at the end was dumb), and I never hold back punches

Damned if you, damned if you don't. You don't have to like my opinion, but I won't have you sit there and say that I'm going easy on this Lex cus I hate BvS Lex so much

In the simplest definition of the term, you are defending the CW Lex. Doesn't matter if you think they'll screw it up, you're still defending it. At least argue that you're playing devils advocate, but even then, that's a defense.

And yes, if you "pride" yourself in being overly critical, or at the very least make no attempts to check it, you risk coming off nitpicky. No one takes a nitpicky argument seriously. Sorry, just the way the world world works. If you were running around admitting how overly critical you were of drawing styles (IDK), and we got into an argument about how good a certain style was, I wouldn't take your criticism seriously. Why? Because it's overly critical by your own admission.

The me/you recap should go more like this:

Me: Wow, CW made a Lex even worst than BvS

You: NOTHING CAN BE WORST THAN BVS LEX!!

Me: Well this version is a lot worst in xyz

You: BVS LEX IS THE WORST! EVEN MY FRIENDS SAY I'M OVERLY CRITICAL OF THINGS I LIKE SO IMAGINE HOW I APPROACH THINGS I DON'T LIKE!

Me: Well....i don't think you're able to look at this objectively then.

You: Pshh you're just dismissing my position

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@saintwildcard said:
    @buttersdaman000 said:

In the simplest definition of the term, you are defending the CW Lex. Doesn't matter if you think they'll screw it up, you're still defending it. At least argue that you're playing devils advocate, but even then, that's a defense.

If you wanna remove all nuance from the conversation and just stick to a black and white approach, sure, you got me.

And yes, if you "pride" yourself in being overly critical, or at the very least make no attempts to check it, you risk coming off nitpicky. No one takes a nitpicky argument seriously. Sorry, just the way the world world works. If you were running around admitting how overly critical you were of drawing styles (IDK), and we got into an argument about how good a certain style was, I wouldn't take your criticism seriously. Why? Because it's overly critical by your own admission.

But you're assuming a lot from that statement and what I've said in the past without any knowledge of the things I'm talking about. More often than not while they say I'm overly critical, we end up agreeing on almost everything. The point of the comment was that you are trying to have it both ways. I can't be objective cus I hate BvS Lex so much that I'm ignoring the faults of this one, which is wrong. I then state my history with this show, my thoughts on the casting and how I never try and pull punches, but now I'm dismissed cus I'm overly critical. All I care about is proving you wrong that I won't criticize this Lex or that I'm defending his faults cus I hate BvS lex, which is flat out wrong.

You: Based off this trailer I disagree (summed up in a funny video)

Me: You're nuts! This version is a lot worst in xyz

You: BVS LEX IS THE WORST! Because of XYZ. and this one is only better in a small category

Me: I think you're defending him cus you hate this Lex so much

Me: EVEN MY FRIENDS SAY I'M OVERLY CRITICAL OF THINGS I LIKE, cus I'm not blind to the flaws in stories cus nothing is perfect. Because I'm trying to be objective

You: You can't have it both ways dudes

Fixed it.

buttersdaman000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

But you're assuming a lot from that statement and what I've said in the past without any knowledge of the things I'm talking about. More often than not while they say I'm overly critical, we end up agreeing on almost everything. The point of the comment was that you are trying to have it both ways. I can't be objective cus I hate BvS Lex so much that I'm ignoring the faults of this one, which is wrong. I then state my history with this show, my thoughts on the casting and how I never try and pull punches, but now I'm dismissed cus I'm overly critical. All I care about is proving you wrong that I won't criticize this Lex or that I'm defending his faults cus I hate BvS lex, which is flat out wrong.

You: Based off this trailer I disagree (summed up in a funny video)

Me: You're nuts! This version is a lot worst in xyz

You: BVS LEX IS THE WORST! Because of XYZ. and this one is only better in a small category

Me: I think you're defending him cus you hate this Lex so much

Me: EVEN MY FRIENDS SAY I'M OVERLY CRITICAL OF THINGS I LIKE, cus I'm not blind to the flaws in stories cus nothing is perfect. Because I'm trying to be objective

You: You can't have it both ways dudes

Fixed it.

What nuance? This isn't a very complex conversations dude.....the definition of "defense" is pretty clear cut. And notice how I didn't bow out until you admitted you were overly critical. There's no point in arguing with someone who's willing to admit that. You literally admitted you would take a Lex that was humbled and degraded intellectually, something that is pretty much the antithesis of the character, over a Lex who's interpretation you didn't like....because you're overly critical. That makes absolutely no sense.

I'm not trying to have anything both ways. It's very simple. Your hate for BvS lead you to argue in favor of a hypothetical interpretation of Lex (since we don't know whether that'll happen) that completely shits all over the character. Nevermind the other aspects of CW Lex that are completely laughable. Hate the interpretation all you want, but BvS Lex didn't go that far. And all this is just from a trailer! Imagine if BvS Lex had been that bad in the trailers??? Yes, and I still think it's completely fair to "dismiss" your argument after you told me you're overly critical about everything, even things you like. If you hadn't, I wouldn't have grounds to see the pointlessness in the argument.

That fix makes no sense.

: EVEN MY FRIENDS SAY I'M OVERLY CRITICAL OF THINGS I LIKE, cus I'm not blind to the flaws in stories cus nothing is perfect. Because I'm trying to be objective

C'mon now....have some self awareness lol being overly critical doesn't mean you're more adept at pointing out flaws, it means you nitpick.

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By SaintWildcard

@buttersdaman000 said:

What nuance? This isn't a very complex conversations dude.....the definition of "defense" is pretty clear cut. And notice how I didn't bow out until you admitted you were overly critical. There's no point in arguing with someone who's willing to admit that.

Because by stating I'm defending, you make it seem like I don't point out the vast problems with it as well. That is the nuance you are missing by stating that I'm defending CW Lex.

You literally admitted you would take a Lex that was humbled and degraded intellectually, something that is pretty much the antithesis of the character, over a Lex who's interpretation you didn't like....because you're overly critical. That makes absolutely no sense.

Again, dealing in absolutes. One can have a problem with aspects of a character and like the rest. We're still dealing in hypothetical and I stated multiple times it's a matter of "by default". Did I say I would like him being humbled and degraded? You're implying way to much that was never said

I'm not trying to have anything both ways. It's very simple.

Yes you are, it's that simple.

Your hate for BvS lead you to argue in favor of a hypothetical interpretation of Lex (since we don't know whether that'll happen) that completely shits all over the character. Nevermind the other aspects of CW Lex that are completely laughable.

I'm merely comparing it based of the trailer, and I liked CW Lex more in the trailer than I did BvS Lex in an entire movie.

There are no other aspects to CW Lex since we haven't seen anything. You just don't like his performance. Even if we just took performance of both Lexs in terms of trailers, I would say I enjoy his Lex (arguably cus my expectations were low), than his. But that's just my opinion on the matter.

Hate the interpretation all you want, but BvS Lex didn't go that far. And all this is just from a trailer! Imagine if BvS Lex had been that bad in the trailers???

He was. He was one of the most annoying things in the trailers, you're just forgetting that. I tried to suppress my doubts and had lowered expectations going into the movie, and even then I was disappointed. Same thing here, I have super low expectations cus of the casting and the show, but the trailer was pretty decent. Could he suck in the show? Probably and most likely. More than Eisenberg? Possible. But just going of trailers he's got a leg up on Eisenberg.

Yes, and I still think it's completely fair to "dismiss" your argument after you told me you're overly critical about everything, even things you like. If you hadn't, I wouldn't have grounds to see the pointlessness in the argument.

A- I said my friends think that (and mainly to give me shit), I don't agree since I try and back up my problems or at least admit I'm being petty. The point which you seem to keep missing is that I can still the the problems in things I like and still point them out even when comparing it to something I hate. I will never try (to the best of my ability) shit on something I hate and then protect something I'm okay with without admitting the faults in that.

B- You just ignore me when I broke it down even further so you can continue to make this ridiculous argument. It's clear to me that you seem more interested in trying to discredit by crying "bias" and in the same breath cry "To nit picky", than actually acknowledge that I have legitimately be trying to be objective as I possibly can

If you're going to keep focusing on the "overly critical aspect" while ignoring all the context and nuance, well you can just shove it

buttersdaman000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@buttersdaman000 said:

What nuance? This isn't a very complex conversations dude.....the definition of "defense" is pretty clear cut. And notice how I didn't bow out until you admitted you were overly critical. There's no point in arguing with someone who's willing to admit that.

Because by stating I'm defending, you make it seem like I don't point out the vast problems with it as well. That is the nuance you are missing by stating that I'm defending CW Lex.

You literally admitted you would take a Lex that was humbled and degraded intellectually, something that is pretty much the antithesis of the character, over a Lex who's interpretation you didn't like....because you're overly critical. That makes absolutely no sense.

Again, dealing in absolutes. One can have a problem with aspects of a character and like the rest. We're still dealing in hypothetical and I stated multiple times it's a matter of "by default". Did I say I would like him being humbled and degraded? You're implying way to much that was never said

I'm not trying to have anything both ways. It's very simple.

Yes you are, it's that simple.

Your hate for BvS lead you to argue in favor of a hypothetical interpretation of Lex (since we don't know whether that'll happen) that completely shits all over the character. Nevermind the other aspects of CW Lex that are completely laughable.

I'm merely comparing it based of the trailer, and I liked CW Lex more in the trailer than I did BvS Lex in an entire movie.

There are no other aspects to CW Lex since we haven't seen anything. You just don't like his performance. Even if we just took performance of both Lexs in terms of trailers, I would say I enjoy his Lex (arguably cus my expectations were low), than his. But that's just my opinion on the matter.

Hate the interpretation all you want, but BvS Lex didn't go that far. And all this is just from a trailer! Imagine if BvS Lex had been that bad in the trailers???

He was. He was one of the most annoying things in the trailers, you're just forgetting that. I tried to suppress my doubts and had lowered expectations going into the movie, and even then I was disappointed. Same thing here, I have super low expectations cus of the casting and the show, but the trailer was pretty decent. Could he suck in the show? Probably and most likely. More than Eisenberg? Possible. But just going of trailers he's got a leg up on Eisenberg.

Yes, and I still think it's completely fair to "dismiss" your argument after you told me you're overly critical about everything, even things you like. If you hadn't, I wouldn't have grounds to see the pointlessness in the argument.

A- I said my friends think that (and mainly to give me shit), I don't agree since I try and back up my problems or at least admit I'm being petty. The point which you seem to keep missing is that I can still the the problems in things I like and still point them out even when comparing it to something I hate. I will never try (to the best of my ability) shit on something I hate and then protect something I'm okay with without admitting the faults in that.

B- You just ignore me when I broke it down even further so you can continue to make this ridiculous argument. It's clear to me that you seem more interested in trying to discredit by crying "bias" and in the same breath cry "To nit picky", than actually acknowledge that I have legitimately be trying to be objective as I possibly can

If you're going to keep focusing on the "overly critical aspect" while ignoring all the context and nuance, well you can just shove it

There's no context and nuance that i'm not getting. This isn't as complex as you're making it out to be. Like I said, your lack of self awareness and your OVERLY CRITICAL attitude doesn't make you better at pointing out flaws. You're just reaching to defend your extremely uninformed opinion on the Lex Luthor character in general. No one who actually knows the character would prefer him being intellectually humiliated over an interpretation they simply don't like. And outside of that hypothetical, your strongest criticisms against Lex are that his plan was dumb and he came off more like the Riddler. What the hell does CW Lex come off as then?? Certainly not Lex Luthor....certainly not even the Riddler...he hardly comes off as a comic book villain unless that villain is "evil normal guy with a corny twinkie defense".

Yes, I will shove it. I will shove some good recommendations in your face:

• The Black Ring
    • All Star Superman
    • Luthor (by B. Azzarello)
    • Red Son

These books will show you just how important Lex' intelligence is to his character.

helloman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is okay.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.