Follow

Superman

Character » Superman appears in 18944 issues.

Sent to Earth as an infant from the dying planet Krypton, Kal-El was adopted by the loving Kent family and raised in America's heartland as Clark Kent. Using his immense solar-fueled powers, he became Superman to defend mankind against all manner of threats while championing truth, justice, and the American way!

Super-Flare Comeback? (Superman Reborn Spoilers)

Jakai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

After reading the arc, we find out that the two Superman (Pre-Flashpoint and New 52) are the same being. They're two sides of the same coin. After merging into their whole self, the universe was recreated with implications on how it affects other series still unknown. From this, we also learned that some aspects of New 52 Superman's stories and experiences still occurred, such as how we can clearly see Ulysses.

As most of you know, during the arc with Ulysses, Superman developed his new Super-Flare power. Considering that this merged Superman definitely has Ulysses as a previous "enemy" of his, is it possible that this Superman may still have the Super-Flare power? What's more, is it possible that he'll be able to improve upon it like he tried learning to?

I for one would love it if it came back. I loved the idea, and I thought it had a completely acceptable downside. What's more, is that it could lead him to developing more blasts of solar energy from any cell he chooses, like from his hands or feet.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

I hadn't thought of that aspect of New 52 Superman being amalgamated into him following Reborn. I hope the Solar Flare power is never mentioned or shown again. It creates an unnecessary crutch for Superman's depowerment when there's already the red sun weakness to take away his powers. Johns and Romita Jr only introduced it for the sake of giving Superman a new power and so Romita Jr could do something in his brief stint on Superman. And it wasn't very impressive. The alien with enough solar energy in his body to move planets and fly faster than light can only destroy everything in a quarter mile radius with his Solar Flare. I've seen optic blasts from Cyclops with more power.

Jakai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger: Well, I wouldn't call it "unnecessary" for him to have it as a weakness. Considering Red Solar Radiation is not a likely used tactic unless he's physically transported to a new world, or maybe a weapon is formed, Kryptonite is generally the only usable tool for an enemy to use as a weakness.

What's more is that I think of him having it make for 3 interesting forms of weakness.

1. Kryptonite - A weakness to be exploited intentionally by an enemy. The implication is to purposely hurt him
    2. Red Sun - An involuntary weakness that may or may not be intentional at all. Generally just the luck of the cards
    3. Super-Flare Weakness - A self-deciding risk. This one is where he has to consider what if it's worth it to be put in such a vulnerable state. It's not caused by anyone else, but himself. He has to make the choice.

He can also be blackmailed into doing it, like in the Supergirl episode, which can make for a more powerful effect. It would be like him surrendering to an enemy, forcibly making himself weak to them. This would still be unlike Kryptonite and Red Sun, because it's not like he would choose to be harmed by those two.

And while it wasn't very impressive power-wise, it's not entirely a bad thing. It's annoying if he gets even more overpowered. And even if they wanted to, it's totally within reason for the writers to slowly increase the destructive capabilities of it. Honestly, I want this power to come back so that he can eventually learn to release solar energy blasts from his hands.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Lvenger

@jakai: I definitely would find it unnecessary for the solar flare to become a weakness. Because Superman has enough weaknesses as it is. Red sunlight technology is regularly shown being used to hurt or imprison Superman, in Justice League vs Suicide Squad, Superman was imprisoned under a red sun lamp. Kryptonite is the obvious regular tool for causing Superman a lot of pain. And you're forgetting magic is also a vulnerability of Superman since he has no defence against it. So that would be 4 weaknesses for Superman.

There have already been too many stories where Superman loses his powers, it's become annoying at this point as a Superman fan. And losing his powers for 24 hours over a single power usage sounds like a big cliche if I'm honest. Moreover, it was the overuse of the Solar Flare that led to the Truth status quo so it could very well happen again

Normally Superman having his loved ones threatened is enough blackmail in of itself, the Solar Flare is just too risky.

It's portrayed as a trump card for Superman yet I've seen more impressive blasts of heat vision from him than what the Solar Flare has done. Shooting solar blasts from his hands is a cool image I guess but the drawbacks of the Solar Flare are far too unappealing for it to be returning.

Jakai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Jakai

@lvenger: Oh yea, you do bring up some good points. In that case, to each his own

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jakai: So did you, the energy blasts and story potential points in particular. To each his own.

Avatar image for deactivated-62aed861cc7ee
    deactivated-62aed861cc7ee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That power shouldn't even be mentioned hereafter. I am done with giving Superman weaknesses. I have no problem with giving him a new power though.

z3ro180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By z3ro180

I pray to god it does not, like lvenger said it creates an unnecessary crutch to depower superman

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 12

#9  Edited By SaintWildcard

Even if the New 52 Superman was still around, I'd say to get rid of it. It was a dumb useless power that was just an other bell and whistle added to Johns lackluster run in order to get sales. Maybe had it had the power to destroy planets, then we'd talk but the thing was major weak sauce.

reactor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By reactor

I loved the solar flare power (not calling it super flare), but make his like Supergirl's; a weapon in the arsenal, not a double-edged sword. Kara's solar flare power never depowered her, she could use it freely in a pinch - the only danger was that it was indiscriminately destructive. I really like Supes developing more energy-based powers over anything strictly ocular or physical.

RDClip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No, not interested. Superman has enough powers and weaknesses. We don't need to further complicate things again.

P.S. So, if current Superman has New52 memories, does he remember sleeping with Diana? Clark better not mention that to Lois.

stephens2177

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Kon should have the solar flare.Remember intensified heat Aura,and TK hyper acceleration,both get you to a flare,just not from within,but controlling the without

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Nah Superman doesn't need another power or another weakness. I would like to get rid of the Red Sun weakness. That was dumb. Red Sun should be no different that yellow is to humans. It just doesn't give him the energy he needs, it doesn't take away from him.

Also I don't mind magic being a vulnerability but if he is affected by it then every other character who isn't magical based should be affected the same way. I see no reason why it's something special to him.

Avatar image for deactivated-62aed861cc7ee
    deactivated-62aed861cc7ee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dernman said:

Nah Superman doesn't need another power or another weakness. I would like to get rid of the Red Sun weakness. That was dumb. Red Sun should be no different that yellow is to humans. It just doesn't give him the energy he needs, it doesn't take away from him.

Giving him another power is fine to me, something useful. Something to prevent his weaknesses from being exploited every time. Like the energy manipulation power Lana Lang has in Superwoman. The powers she have are confirmed to be of Kryptonian origin lately. So it's possible a real Kryptonian like Clark would have it. Jon is gonna get that power soon according to future solicits. As you said, red sun weakness is dumb. Red sun not powering him up is fine but depowering him makes no sense.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.